PDA

View Full Version : Splitter, Leornard & Anderson: Spurs next big 3?

analyzed
12-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Looks like our next best 3 players after the big 3, are draftees Tiago, Leonard and James. If you add Neal, then Bonner (believe it or not he's our 8th best player) . you have your rotation. TJ plays garbage minutes at PG, and another big (likely Biar, unless we find another Big.) our your 9th and 10th bench players. Based on that it's quite obvious the gap is having another defensive big.

Speaking of the young three, it's should'nt be a suprise that the expectatons are higher than our previous draftees , afterall their our highest picks in a long long time. (Anderson 20th, Leonard 15th) while Splitter many considered if he was in last years draft (his roolkie season ) would go top 10.

Can someone (historical stat guru) tell me , historically what the average 10th, 15th and 20th draft pick productivity is after 4 years?

That should give us some indication of how good this trio will be. tbh i don't see any of the 3 being future all stars. I guess Leonard has the best shot but i see him as more as one time marginal future all star, possibly an all NBA defensive team member

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-19-2011, 03:33 AM
This new big 3 will be great in bringing high future draft picks for the Spurs, tbh.

Historically, most of the picks between 15th and 30th aren't significant NBA players.

Ditty
12-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Splitter would be the best bench big man on a contender, and just a role player for us. Anderson and Leonard would be at best 2nd options on a playoff team in the future, I don't expect either to be number 1 options even on a shitty team when they hit there primes. Spurs will defintley have to tank, or big name free agent that we throw a shit load of money at, and wants to play here in order to remain competitive. Leonard, and Anderson, and hopefully Cory Jospeh, even possibly Dejuan Blair if he plays a PF off the bench role, are a good start to the rebuilding process. That's not even counting Richards,Bertans, or Hanga. I don't expect another Ginobili impact out of them, but stranger things have happen, and you never know.

jesterbobman
12-19-2011, 03:47 AM
The most realistic thing that could happen would be those 3 being good complementary pieces, but needing a star Big and a star PG. Anderson could be an 18 a Game guy, Kawhi a 15 and 7 SF with excellent defense and Tiago a decent 2 way big, and should provide good defense as a group. They're all comfortably a level behind the big 3 we have now, but they could be players 3, 4, and 5 on a contender. From #28, #20 and #15, that's great production.

mystargtr34
12-19-2011, 04:20 AM
These three are definately players to help build a team with.. but they wouldnt be your 1-3 options ala Duncan Manu and Parker. Once Manu and Duncan come off the books, re-work their contracts, amnesty Dicky J... sign your 12M+ FA and you may be a player for the championship. But it all depends on how they develop from here.. especially Leonard and Anderson.

analyzed
12-19-2011, 05:04 AM
looking at the 2012 FA list. I could'nt find a viable FA for 12M. the two guys who come to mind are Batum and Love, the problem is both are restricted FA. So who are we targeting with TD and RJ's contracts coming of the books?

mystargtr34
12-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Well there is Dwight Howard :lol..

It doesnt have to be a FA... since the Spurs will be under the cap they can make a trade and take back more salary.. that would probably be the route they go down considering the FA class isnt all that great for bigmen.. its pretty guard heavy.

If they were to go down the FA route however.. talking about unrestricted FA's since players like Love and Batum who are coming off their rookie contracts are probably unrealistic since their team has a big advantage with the $ + years they can offer. Some of the UFA bigmen

Antawn Jamison
Kevin Garnett
Chris Kaman
Marcus Camby
Nazr Mohammad
Omer Asik
Mehmet Okur
Boris Diaw
Ersan Ilyasova

No one who is going to take the franchise forward into the next era.

yavozerb
12-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I will be happy with a big 1 from these 3 to be honest....

ChuckD
12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
looking at the 2012 FA list. I could'nt find a viable FA for 12M. the two guys who come to mind are Batum and Love, the problem is both are restricted FA. So who are we targeting with TD and RJ's contracts coming of the books?

TD's not coming off the books in 2012, no matter how many people here want to push him out the door.

Fireball
12-19-2011, 07:59 AM
TD's not coming off the books in 2012, no matter how many people here want to push him out the door.

He may continue to play, but he will not receive 20 million a year anymore ...

Muser
12-19-2011, 08:45 AM

That's a shame.

lefty
12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
NExt big 3?

ROFL

SenorSpur
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
He may continue to play, but he will not receive 20 million a year anymore ...

That's clearly the point.

SenorSpur
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Well there is Dwight Howard :lol..

It doesnt have to be a FA... since the Spurs will be under the cap they can make a trade and take back more salary.. that would probably be the route they go down considering the FA class isnt all that great for bigmen.. its pretty guard heavy.

If they were to go down the FA route however.. talking about unrestricted FA's since players like Love and Batum who are coming off their rookie contracts are probably unrealistic since their team has a big advantage with the $ + years they can offer. Some of the UFA bigmen

Antawn Jamison
Kevin Garnett
Chris Kaman
Marcus Camby
Nazr Mohammad
Omer Asik
Mehmet Okur
Boris Diaw
Ersan Ilyasova

No one who is going to take the franchise forward into the next era.

Once you get past Howard, that 2012 FA class really sucks.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Once you get past Howard, that 2012 FA class really sucks.

I really think that Spurs fans are crazy if you think Howard (or any other FA worth a salt) will come to San Antonio - especially after what happened to RJ.

Spurs model - DRAFT well, keep the elite vets from leaving, build around them w/ defensive minded vets.

Spurs got away from that model by acquiring RJ - not only was he not a defensive minded complement to the big 3, he was high profile enough for everyone else in the league to watch and see what happened.

Spurs shot themselves in the foot w/ him on so many levels. If you were Dwight Howard and you could choose between, LA, Miami, NY, NJ or San Antonio and get the same amount of $, where would you go? I'd go to OKC before I went to SA.

The Spurs have nothing to offer DH but $...

SenorSpur
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I really think that Spurs fans are crazy if you think Howard (or any other FA worth a salt) will come to San Antonio - especially after what happened to RJ.

Spurs model - DRAFT well, keep the elite vets from leaving, build around them w/ defensive minded vets.

Spurs got away from that model by acquiring RJ - not only was he not a defensive minded complement to the big 3, he was high profile enough for everyone else in the league to watch and see what happened.

Spurs shot themselves in the foot w/ him on so many levels. If you were Dwight Howard and you could choose between, LA, Miami, NY, NJ or San Antonio and get the same amount of $, where would you go? I'd go to OKC before I went to SA.

The Spurs have nothing to offer DH but $...

True. The Spurs have never been a desirable free agent desitnation - even when Duncan was in his prime. In order for them to build their next perennially-contending team, they will have to do so through the draft. In fact, they are off to a good start. Yet there are still significant holes to fill.

Canibspur
12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I will be happy with a big 1 from these 3 to be honest....

I bet you would....

Ditty
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I bet you would....

I Lol'd

:lmao

smrattler
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I bet you would....

You beat me to it.

DMX7
12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Anderson has NOT impressed me so far.

BRs.Ganso
12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
big 3 of what? of bench?

Interrohater
12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
When people say 'Big 3', they're usually referring to all-stars and superstars. I would be impressed and surprised if one of those became that. They are an excellent supporting cast on a great team, but as the spotlight players? I doubt it.

Hey, I could be wrong though. We'll see I guess.

Hooks
12-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Anderson has NOT impressed me so far.

? He looked great so far, he's going to be a really good scorer in this league once he gains some experience.

He clearly could've made every single one of those shots he missed, those were very easy shots that HE created for himself. It's just a matter of those shots falling which eventually will. He's a very aggressive player as well which will help him score as well.

Remember this is the preseason, guys are not only coming in out of shape but their shots are waaay off, and they haven't played in a real NBA game in months which is entirely different than some sort of impact league game.

Anderson also said he just shrugged off the misses in a recent interview which is a plus because it shows he's not mentally weak.