PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Offseason Grade for the Spurs

12-19-2011, 09:10 PM
saw this on espn insider and thought i would share. don't know if it was mentioned before.

Key additions: Kawhi Leonard (draft), T.J. Ford (FA), Cory Joseph (draft), Gani Lawal (FA)

Key subtractions: George Hill

The Spurs are old. Tim Duncan is 35. Manu Ginobili is 34. Richard Jefferson, who signed an excessive four-year, $39 million deal two summers ago, is 31. Even Tony Parker turns 30 in May.

Yet it's hard to break up a team that still performs the way the Spurs do.

Spurs GM R.C. Buford has talked about blowing things up for the past few years, but he doesn't have the heart to do it. When he finally made a trade to move up in the draft and nab Kawhi Leonard, he did it by trading the team's best young player (and one of coach Gregg Popovich's favorite players) -- George Hill.

The Spurs' thinking was that the team wouldn't be able to afford to keep their core together and pay Hill this summer, so they cut bait and landed Leonard, a super-talented, high-energy combo forward instead. Leonard was a good pick, but when you factor in what they gave up for him combined with the rest of their haul this offseason, it just feels like the Spurs are still going in the wrong direction.

GRADE: C-

Dex
12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
F-!

Is it possible to get a G?

lmbebo
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
I would have done D.

NRHector
12-19-2011, 09:37 PM
it makes sick just by reading it :vomit:

Spurtacus
12-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Add McDyess to the list and the grade is a big fat D

ElNono
12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
It's weird too, because IIRC, ESPN normally overrates the Spurs FO moves. I guess it's just too apparent now.

timtonymanu
12-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Too generous of a grade, IMO.

Russ
12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Leonard > Hill.

NRHector
12-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I guess window is closed, well it was an awesome ride for the Spurs and all the fans, thanks Manu, Tony and Tim

objective
12-19-2011, 09:59 PM
The Spurs are lucky to get anything above a D-.

Getting Kawhi was good, but not playing him so RJ can crap all over the court for 30 minutes a game is terrible.

Padron
12-19-2011, 10:11 PM
d

timvp
12-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Generous.

This offseason has made no sense. The Spurs somehow managed to weaken their roster while simultaneously not building for the future. Props.

lefty
12-19-2011, 10:18 PM
So ESPN guys do like us !!!!

Hooks
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
:lobt2:
Generous.

This offseason has made no sense. The Spurs somehow managed to weaken their roster while simultaneously not building for the future. Props.

I think they actually strengthened their roster with trading Hill, that is of course if they actually play Leonard.

Ford is hands down a better PG than Hill, Hill is better defensively but the last time I remember him actually playing great defense in the playoffs was against the Mavs. Even though Hill played heavy minutes throughout his career at PG he had proven he could not distribute the ball; making him strictly a SG, an undersized SG to be exact. Hill was also getting abused last year against Memphis' big G/F's (this would NOT happen to someone as big as JA), not only could he stop them from scoring but they rebounded over him at will, prior to that Dragic/Nash were man handling him. The only thing Hill proved he could do was score, even then he was mentally weak and couldn't keep it up consistently.

Trading him opened up a spot for Anderson (he would've rotted on the bench w/out trading Hill) who not only has a much higher ceiling but is MUCH bigger. Keeping Hill most likely would've forced the Spurs to play Anderson at SF keeping KL on the bench.

Even if KL doesn't get any playing time this year, moving JA to SF would've moved him out of his natural position of SG and would've created problems for the future starting SF rotation. I do think KL/JA will be starting for the Spurs in 1 or 2 years. They would've had to moved JA back down to SG or KL to SG etc. it would've caused some problems for the future starters of those positions.

Hill's scoring will most likely also be replaced by JA/Neal.

Their front line did get worse though by losing Dice. That's the only way I could see them be worse off, but then again it opens up PT for Splitter who will make a solid impact on this team.

I think this Spurs team upgraded significantly at the SG/SF/PG position

lefty
12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Lol
Sure

venitian navigator
12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Parker - Ginobili - Leonard - Bonner - Duncan
Ford - Anderson - Jefferson - Blair - Splitter
Joseph - Neal - (Green) - (Lawal) - (x)

After cutting Dice contract and Novak, we have two to three spots to fill (Green is still a strong chance to be cut; so for Lawal) and all of them on our front-line.

The only reason to behave this way is that nobody the F.O. have looked at was worth a signing...or wanted to sign.
Ther's not a lot in the market and we have to offer only 3 millions or just minimum contracts.
Our only "benefit" from a FA point of view is that we can offer a more than decent amount of minutes, maybe also a spot in the "starting five" for anybody that eager to enhance his market value for next season...but the more we're going on the less candidates for such a perspective (Murphy could have been one, but he have chosen LA for an amount of money we could have given; Ayon could have been another, but he signed for the Hornets; Evans could be the last one but probably will take some better offer).

It's difficult to understand if the FO has already given up on this season or they are just waiting for a miracle to happen...
Considering the schedule of this year it's clear that youth is necessary...also the fifth and sixth "big man" (that at this moment are an x and maybe Lawal) will be options to be considered for a good amount of playing time in some game (back to back to back...).

The question is who...(maybe signing Richards, at this poiint, could have made sense...).

Libri
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
The Spurs flunked and deserve no extra credit.

SA210
12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
F-

GSH
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Maybe an "I" for Incomplete? They did damn near nothing. If not for trading a proven young player for an unproven young player, the only thing they accomplished was to be utterly incapable of convincing any players to come to San Antonio. They couldn't even convince McDyess to commit to a short season for an extra $2.5 Million.

And to make it worse, they don't have anything to sell a FA prospect next season, either. They sure can't use the "We're building something special here" approach. Next year's free agent class is supposed to be pretty deep. And unless something changes, they're going to be looking at SA as the place where careers go to die.

They either didn't commit to improving this team, or they utterly failed in that mission. They didn't commit to re-building. They're stuck somewhere in the middle. How much worse could an offseason get?

Sean Cagney
12-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Horrible offseason after a horrible playoffs! F.

mexicanjunior
12-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Should be an F...Spurs are half heartedly tanking, which is the worst possible option because it only allows us to draft in the middle of the 1st round. If we are going to get an impact player in the draft, we need to go all the way with it.

12-19-2011, 11:20 PM
still can't believe the spurs struck out. i'm still wondering how the lakers signed kapono, mcroberts, and troy murphy for just the MLE/minimums. if the spurs did that, it would be the best offseason ever.

baseline bum
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
F

ginobilized
12-19-2011, 11:44 PM
D seems about right
Incomplete makes sense right now, too.

Mr. Body
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
The Spurs won't be in San Antonio in about five years.

will_spurs
12-20-2011, 03:56 AM
It's weird too, because IIRC, ESPN normally overrates the Spurs FO moves. I guess it's just too apparent now.

Definitely still overrating these moves with a C-.

4lifecowboy
12-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Parker - Ginobili - Leonard - Bonner - Duncan
Ford - Anderson - Jefferson - Blair - Splitter
Joseph - Neal - (Green) - (Lawal) - (x)

After cutting Dice contract and Novak, we have two to three spots to fill (Green is still a strong chance to be cut; so for Lawal) and all of them on our front-line.

The only reason to behave this way is that nobody the F.O. have looked at was worth a signing...or wanted to sign.
Ther's not a lot in the market and we have to offer only 3 millions or just minimum contracts.
Our only "benefit" from a FA point of view is that we can offer a more than decent amount of minutes, maybe also a spot in the "starting five" for anybody that eager to enhance his market value for next season...but the more we're going on the less candidates for such a perspective (Murphy could have been one, but he have chosen LA for an amount of money we could have given; Ayon could have been another, but he signed for the Hornets; Evans could be the last one but probably will take some better offer).

It's difficult to understand if the FO has already given up on this season or they are just waiting for a miracle to happen...
Considering the schedule of this year it's clear that youth is necessary...also the fifth and sixth "big man" (that at this moment are an x and maybe Lawal) will be options to be considered for a good amount of playing time in some game (back to back to back...).

The question is who...(maybe signing Richards, at this poiint, could have made sense...).

Neal has been getting overlooked by a lot of you guys, but i am almost certain he will be 6th-7th man in the rotation. If RJ dont show a little enthusiasm it may be at his expense. Leonard and Anderson may be manning the 3 position, but Neal will be on the floor, unless he takes a huge step backwards, he is the best pure shooter on the team.

mountainballer
12-20-2011, 05:54 AM
offseason grades.... are misleading anyway.

2009 the Spurs got an A (or even an A+, can't remember) for getting RJ via trade, Dice (plus Bogans and Ratliff) via FA and Blair from the draft.

what would this be in hindsight? C? C-? D?

the trade turned out to be a costly bust, Dice was ok, but not the difference maker and the pick is still ok somehow, but noone is gonna make fun out the Bulls for picking Gibson or the Grizzlies for picking Young over Blair any more. we could even make a point if Matthews, Thornton, Budinger or Jerebko wouldn't have been the better choice.

this offseason doesn't deserve better than D, mainly for failing to finish, not for not trying. (we don't know all of what they tried, can't blame them for going for Butler and for sure they tried to trade Dice or RJ at some point)

however. if for example Leonard is a success, or Lorbek comes over next summer and does fine, well then the 2011 off season will be upgraded to B in two years from now.

btw. what about a desperation move? I know one. trade RJ for Fat World Peace. Lakers would do this, book it. It looks like a really unreasonable move, but it might work somehow. at least it could save some bucks.

Russ
12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
offseason grades.... are misleading anyway.

2009 the Spurs got an A (or even an A+, can't remember) for getting RJ via trade, Dice (plus Bogans and Ratliff) via FA and Blair from the draft.

bucks.

And the year the Spurs picked up Bowen for cheap, what was their grade? It was seen as a desperation move, a 2d-3d option fallback pick by a fading franchise. And Leonard may be that same type of player with more offensive potential.

It's weird too, because IIRC, ESPN normally overrates the Spurs FO moves.

And that's why ESPN doesn't like this Spurs offseason -- they overrate Hill. All the national media did ever since Hill showed up from a funny-sounding school and became more evidence (according to them) of the Spurs' great drafting prowess.

I just wish Blair was the local favorite of an NBA city like Hill was. Alas, Pittsburgh is a football town with no NBA team. (I guess an NBA team in New Hampshire is out of the question as the old joke goes.)

People loved (and graded high) the RJ move until they saw him play. Caron Butler might have yielded off-season euphoria then met the same fate. (Why does everybody love this guy, anyway?) The only slightly realistic FA pickup that might have helped the Spurs was Battier and that wasn't to be.

Desperation sometimes yields success. Pop is going to have to force feed better athletes than any of these FAs into a (hopefully) renewed defensive system -- it could lead to a revival of "Spurs basketball." You never know.

Anyone who thinks they can grade this year's Spurs FO moves is probably still celebrating the Lakers '04 title with Kobe, Shaq, Payton, and Malone.

Trill Clinton
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm not really that mad about the FO not making moves this offseason. We are in rebuild mode and plugging players in to fit in the system and play 2nd fiddle to the big 3 isn't going to be enough to win ship'. Best thing to do is what they're doing now. Stay with what they have and let the young guys get minutes.

I doubt they have a good season, so they should have a pretty high pick in a deep draft. They still have some good players overseas and Tim's contract will be off the books soon so they can use that to lure a star player or two.

I've seen the Spurs at their worst and at this point I don't think they're that bad, yet. I still have faith in the FO and I have a feeling next year is when they start making moves again.

TimmehC
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Anyone here with Insider? I'm curious about Hollinger's West forecast article that's up today.

chazley
12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Hilarious how some of you would rather have a panic signing/trade instead of standing pat. Since we needed another big, maybe we should've just ponied up and given Kwame a $7,000,000 contract. Amnestied RJ and sign an aging Caron Butler coming off major knee surgery for 3 years/24 million. Amnesty RJ and sign Josh Howard, who has been trash past couple seasons and who also is coming off major knee surgery. Kaman would've been an OK trade.. except we didn't have the salaries to make the deal work. They were never taking RJ for Kaman unless we gave up alot more.

Get your head out of the sand and realize the Spurs actually had a decent offseason. Sometimes subtraction by addition is not the best way to go. Instead, our young guys get to prove themselves, and actually improve our trade position if a big name becomes available.

baseline bum
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Crap, I forgot Brown got $7 million. That has to rank up there with the worst single-season deals I have ever seen.

mingus
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
i feel the Spurs have a championship level backcourt:

Parker/Ford
Manu/Neal
JA/RJ (hopefully he's 6th or 7th man)/Leonard

i just don't understand the lack of balance at the C/PF spot. we're rolling with an even shittier frontcourt than last year, when we got torched last year as it was.

it's going to be painful to watch. i really believe if we had a defensive big in there that could defend 4s and 5s, we could go far. shitty job by RC and Pop over the last couple of years to shore up the frontcourt and not address its obiovus flaws.

texbumTHElife
12-20-2011, 09:40 PM
If it gives us a shot at Sullinger, I am all for these moves.

Obstructed_View
12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Crap, I forgot Brown got $7 million. That has to rank up there with the worst single-season deals I have ever seen.

The number of "worst deal ever" signings with his name attached are increasing at a scary pace.

Russ
04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
What have ye to say now?

Wild Cobra Kai
04-01-2012, 11:17 AM

They can't leave. They just signed a 5 year extension for new bond funds to refurbish the ATT, tacked on to their original 25 year lease that they signed in 2002. Add that up, and they'll be free to go in 2032.

stxspurs
04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Russ had it right!:toast

vander
04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
looks like C- was a pretty accurate grade

housious
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
looks like C- was a pretty accurate grade

You can't fix stupid.

will_spurs
04-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Nice bump.

It should have read: the Spurs traded their best young player for an even better young player.

vander
04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
You can't fix stupid.

quality post :toast

so, in what way is slightly upgrading a single player/position worthy of more than a C- on an aging team with a closing window?

vander
04-01-2012, 02:22 PM
offseason grade

sehui
04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
lmao everyone was pissing and moaning and thinking we downgraded, but didn't realize the addition of Kawhi himself made us into contenders, far before Sjax and Diaw came onboard.

chazley
04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
lmao everyone was pissing and moaning and thinking we downgraded, but didn't realize the addition of Kawhi himself made us into contenders, far before Sjax and Diaw came onboard.

Except for me.

chazley
04-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Nothing gives me more pleasure than shitting all over the large contingent of dumbasses on Spurstalk.

baseline bum
04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
What have ye to say now?

I have to say RC is the baddest mother------ in the league when it comes to the draft. I never figured Kawhi would make this kind of impact this soon with no summer league, no training camp, and hardly any practice time.

Obstructed_View
04-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Nothing gives me more pleasure than shitting all over the large contingent of dumbasses on Spurstalk.

Let us know if it ever happens. Usually all you do to the dumbasses on Spurstalk is add to their number.

chazley
04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Let us know if it ever happens. Usually all you do to the dumbasses on Spurstalk is add to their number.

Go ahead and read my post from months ago in this thread. Or my repeated defenses of Bonner. It's quite funny really.

TheSkeptic
Yeah...I have to admit I was completely wrong about the George Hill trade. I'm pretty happy about this current roster.

chazley
Or you could also just read your own quote from my signature...

Obstructed_View
04-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Or you could also just read your own quote from my signature...

My quote is testament to your ability to never shut up, never listen, continue to argue, and to always declare victory, beginning the very moment you arrived. It should also be testament to your inability to recognize sarcasm. :lol

chazley
04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Call it what you want. I just take it at face value.

Obstructed_View
04-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I call it what it is. Sarcasm.

senorglory
04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Did trading Hill get us both Leonard and Green? or just Leonard?

Mel_13
04-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Did trading Hill get us both Leonard and Green? or just Leonard?

Just Leonard, but trading Hill opened minutes at SG that most of us assumed would be filled by Neal and Anderson. In fact, they've been filled by Neal and Green.

100%duncan
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM

cd98
04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey remember that San Diego sportswriter that was upset that Leonard was traded to the Spurs because they are old and fading.

In fairness though, Spurs have shut me up this year. I thought we should tank and hope to get Davis for Twin Tower Redux.

Spurtacus
04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
That Kawhi kid is looking pretty good. I was high on Chris Singleton on the draft and a bit disappointed we traded Hill and didn't get him. Eating crow now.

If there was a grade for the 11/12 calendar season Spurs should be at an A right now. They lost Hill and Dice and a 1st rounder, but picked up Kawhi, Diaw, SJax, Mills/Ford. Oh and we got rid of RJ. :lol

chazley
04-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I call it what it is. Sarcasm.

You stopped posting in the thread after you said it. Don't see much sarcasm.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 02:43 AM
My quote is testament to your ability to never shut up, never listen, continue to argue, and to always declare victory, beginning the very moment you arrived. It should also be testament to your inability to recognize sarcasm. :lol

I often wonder if his sarcasm detector is really that non-operational or he's just that desperate for anything resembling a compliment.

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Definitely funny reading through the thread. However, I reacted the same way to our offseason because it was reasonable to. Going into the season, we traded away Hill (who was technically one of our better defenders and rebuilding pieces), lost Dice, reduced to 4 bigs, Manu coming off another injury, a year older from an old 2010 version of Duncan, the uncertainty of Splitter's role, the uncertainty of Neal and Green's impact (don't forget, we've addition quite a few wings that have failed in recent years: Hairston, Marcus Williams, Temple, White, Udoka, Mason, Gee, etc etc so the uncertainty behind Neal and specially Green were definitely an issue), and overall a year older for everyone. To make matters worse, Leonard didn't exactly come out of the gates with blazing promise.

For us to be contenders, Leonard, Splitter, Neal, Green all had to make a significant impact. Props to them but because they did. But in addition to our improved bench/role players, Duncan has looked fantastic compared to last year and Parker is playing at a MVP level. Further, we we're able to make some key mid season maneuvers that further improved our chances with Jackson and Diaw. Edit: I guess I should add Mills too because he provides nice insurance after losing Ford.

If we were to go back to December/preseason days, our offseason grade should really still be a C or lower. (hindsight is 20/20). Our in season improvement, from individual player to front office management has been nothing short of an A, if not an A+

Go ahead and read my post from months ago in this thread. Or my repeated defenses of Bonner. It's quite funny really.

Get over yourself, no one cares.

Maddog
04-02-2012, 07:35 AM
SI s draft grades
B San Antonio Spurs
The grade would be even higher if not for the price they paid for No. 15 Leonard, as George Hill was still respected enough by the Spurs that they felt comfortable discussing trades for Tony Parker that would have led to Hill's taking over the team. But Leonard is a great fit here, with his defense-first mentality and a decent offensive game that has plenty of room for growth. Taking Cory Joseph at No. 29 is just another reflection of how point guard-heavy this draft was on the back end, and the Spurs grabbed their cup of tea there. Davis Bertans (No. 42 via Indiana) is yet another long-term investment that could make them look like geniuses down the road. He won't play in the league for a few years but is heralded overseas.

A+ Indiana Pacers
As was the case with the Mavericks, the Pacers somehow leveraged a pick in a weak draft into a legitimate player. The trade for George Hill is a perfect fit, not only because of his Indiana roots but also because he is a tough, talented, two-way player on a team that is building such an identity. The Spurs clearly realized that unloading Richard Jefferson's contract was nearly impossible, meaning Leonard will have time to grow into the small forward position there. But the Pacers were looking for serious upgrades now and found it in Hill.

TJastal
04-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I have been reading this boards for years but just create an account. I for one wasn't disappointed at all with this offseason.

Dice gone, Splitter up = more minutes for Splitter (and he has produced)

Hill gone = just meant more minutes for Neal who is a better shooter but a less of a defender, so it was a wash

Leonard = gave the Spurs the much needed perimeter defender and he was rated the top defender in last year's draft. Most teams stayed away because of his shooting mechanics, but with Chip (the best shooting coach in the NBA if not world), I had no worries that this would be fixed. Has held the likes of Durant and Gay to their worst shooting performances of the season.

Green = I post of ESPN and SI boards sometimes and I have always stated I am impressed with this guy, even before this season. Everytime he played last year, he displayed poised and a championship mentality.

Bonner = Say what you want, the guy has improved every year he has been with the Spurs. I trashed the guy last year for his playoff effort when he got thrown around like a rag doll, but he has turned up his defensive game, which he has been far more physical this year.

What did the Spurs in last year was Ginobli's injury. Spurs this year have proved they can win without him (the 1st in many), especially with Parker finally stepping up and becoming a leader on this team instead of just riding Duncan's and Manu's coattails.

All excellent points that are on the mark. I would love to see a more aggressive Matt Bonner this playoffs playing a more physical role on the team, ala "The Custodian" Brian Cardinal. This team really needs a guy to do that kind of dirty work and has been needing that for several years now. I'm real tired of watching a feckless Bonner meekly extend his hands in the air and get dunked or scored on easily time after time. Brian Cardinal and Ian Mahinmi's blue collar physicality and hard fouls literally changed the momentum of last year's finals IMHO and the mavs wouldn't have won the series without those guys adding that element.

cheguevara
04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
:lol at the comments

letting go of Hill and grabbing Kawhi was a masterful move. Deserving of much more than a mere C-. A B+ more likely. Also grabbing Green and giving him minutes solidifies the B+ grade.

wildbill2u
04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
All this just goes to show why all of us are armchair critics and not making a living coaching and managing teams.

I tend to go with decisions of the FO and coaches because I learned the hard way back in the day. I hated the Gervin trade and the Silas trade, but in the end they were simply good management decisions by pros who didn't let sentiment stand in the way of reality.

Speaking of sentimentality and heart, however, the Spurs showed a lot of it by bringing back PG Johnny Moore for enough games to qualify for an NBA pension after he'd been disabled by a career-ending disease --desert fever--that he probably contracted in Phoenix on a road trip.

SenorSpur
04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Recall that when Hill was drafted, the Spurs originally had their eye on a defensive-minded SF (Nic Batum) in that 2008 draft. Of course this was before the Blazers and Rockets executed that notorious train-robbery heist to steal Batum from under the Spurs noses. That forced the Spurs to settle for Hill, who was clearly their second choice.

As I said in earlier related threads, I like Hill as a player, but he was a luxury player for this team. He wasn't skilled enough to be a full-time PG, and he's too short to be a 2-guard. Therefore, he's a tweener. He's still a damn fine player, but he didn't solve any of the roster deficiencies for this team. Watching Pop install Hill at SF, during the Memphis playoff series because RJ was sucking so bad, should tell Spurs fans all they need to know about where the holes were on this team.

Leonard, on the other hand, clearly fills a long-standing need of defensive stopper and rebounder for this team. With his emerging offensive game, the sky is the limit for this kid. There isn't any question that the Spurs are much better off with Leonard than with Hill - and it's not even close.

Russ
07-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Another Thread Bump to celebrate Championship No. 5.

Mind you at the time of this thread, right before the '11-'12 season, the Spurs had just come off a 61-21 season (best record in the West) and had just added Kawhi Leonard to the roster.

bklynspursfan
07-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Mind you at the time of this thread, right before the '11-'12 season, the Spurs had just come off a 61-21 season (best record in the West) and had just added Kawhi Leonard to the roster.

Nice one! The comments in here. Wow... Talk about overreaction.

spurso
07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Man that first page is funny stuff. Good read

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Generous.

:lmao

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I guess window is closed, well it was an awesome ride for the Spurs and all the fans, thanks Manu, Tony and Tim
:rollin

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 09:46 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:l ol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 09:49 PM
If it gives us a shot at Sullinger, I am all for these moves.
:rollinWTF :rollin

mystargtr34
07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Ah .. the offseason that turned it all around.

Kawhi and Boris to replace RJ and McDy:lolss

Tiago and Danny becoming full time rotation players.

Just goes to show the importance of role players.

:lol Harden
:lol Rockets

Blake
07-25-2014, 10:23 PM
SI s draft grades
B San Antonio Spurs
The grade would be even higher if not for the price they paid for No. 15 Leonard, as George Hill was still respected enough by the Spurs that they felt comfortable discussing trades for Tony Parker that would have led to Hill's taking over the team. But Leonard is a great fit here, with his defense-first mentality and a decent offensive game that has plenty of room for growth. Taking Cory Joseph at No. 29 is just another reflection of how point guard-heavy this draft was on the back end, and the Spurs grabbed their cup of tea there. Davis Bertans (No. 42 via Indiana) is yet another long-term investment that could make them look like geniuses down the road. He won't play in the league for a few years but is heralded overseas.

A+ Indiana Pacers
As was the case with the Mavericks, the Pacers somehow leveraged a pick in a weak draft into a legitimate player. The trade for George Hill is a perfect fit, not only because of his Indiana roots but also because he is a tough, talented, two-way player on a team that is building such an identity. The Spurs clearly realized that unloading Richard Jefferson's contract was nearly impossible, meaning Leonard will have time to grow into the small forward position there. But the Pacers were looking for serious upgrades now and found it in Hill.

Lol B

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2014, 10:32 PM
I give the offseason an A-: did well to retain Diaw and Mills (and Bonner) at very fair prices, drafting Anderson was a coup given that he really shouldn't have dropped past the early 20s. If Baynes decides to move on that leaves quite a hole so the grade would drop to a B.

And I think the team made a mistake keeping Ayers and Daye. The NBA is becoming more and more and athletes' league, and although our system does not necessarily rely on athleticism, I think it's time we started to develop some athletes to improve roster flexibility and keep up with super-athletic teams like OKC. If the team had moved on from Ayers and Daye they could have signed a cheap athlete for development (like Aminu) and had more flexibility to sign cover for Mills.

Still, I'm nitpicking really, and more than happy to run back at the league with this team.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
I give the offseason an A-: did well to retain Diaw and Mills (and Bonner) at very fair prices, drafting Anderson was a coup given that he really shouldn't have dropped past the early 20s. If Baynes decides to move on that leaves quite a hole so the grade would drop to a B.

And I think the team made a mistake keeping Ayers and Daye. The NBA is becoming more and more and athletes' league, and although our system does not necessarily rely on athleticism, I think it's time we started to develop some athletes to improve roster flexibility and keep up with super-athletic teams like OKC. If the team had moved on from Ayers and Daye they could have signed a cheap athlete for development (like Aminu) and had more flexibility to sign cover for Mills.

Still, I'm nitpicking really, and more than happy to run back at the league with this team.

Bro, this thread is about the 2011 offseason grade, not this year :lol

07-25-2014, 11:07 PM
To be fair, it was hard to see light during the he-who-must-not-be-named era.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Bro, this thread is about the 2011 offseason grade, not this year :lol

What the hell, it was just a cut and paste. ;) :lmao

Old School 44
07-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Yep...those first reactions on the first page of this thread are classic. I also was a big George Hill fan, but once I saw Leonard play a few games I knew it was the right decision. The Spurs use the draft and the rookie pay scale perfectly. I think they realized Hill was at or near his ceiling as a player, and didn't want to pay him the money he would command, so they did the best thing and traded him for a promising young player and reset their rookie pay scale.

Knowing they'd possibly have to go through James and/or Durant/Westbrook to win a title, they needed an athlete who could compete with them defensively. Kawhi's development offensively has just been gravy. I still think he's growing. And for the life of me, I don't understand, even after winning Finals MVP, that some folks on here don't think he's worth max money and would actually let him walk.

Dex
07-26-2014, 12:38 AM
F-!

Is it possible to get a G?

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/northeast/300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg

:cry I'm sorry, Kawhi :cry

will_spurs
07-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Definitely still overrating these moves with a C-.

Nice bump.

It should have read: the Spurs traded their best young player for an even better young player.

Kawhi only needed a few months to make me change my mind...

Mr. Body
07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
That really was a dismal offseason. The Spurs needed so much more. Kawhi was finally the SF they needed for ages, but they needed a ton ass more, as evidenced by other moves over the years since. It's stupid to look back and say that offseason did it.

timtonymanu
07-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah Jefferson was still on the roster even though Kawhi was a great pickup.

The RJ trade for Jack and signing Diaw and Mills was what sealed it for the Spurs to be contenders again.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
That really was a dismal offseason. The Spurs needed so much more. Kawhi was finally the SF they needed for ages, but they needed a ton ass more, as evidenced by other moves over the years since. It's stupid to look back and say that offseason did it.
Never go full retard

Knoxxx
07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
LOL folks so scared of starting a duplicate thread they dredge up a two year old one!

Mr. Body
07-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Never go full retard

Don't really know what that means in this context, but look at the pounding the rock quote for your answer. All we got out of that offseason was a swing at an SF who obviously turned out very good. If you think even the FO expected that you're a moron.

baseline bum
07-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Good call, Russ. It was hard to be positive after the sweep and 8 in back to back years, but you were right there while the rest of us were ready to blow the team up and tank.

Russ
07-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Good call, Russ. It was hard to be positive after the sweep and 8 in back to back years, but you were right there while the rest of us were ready to blow the team up and tank.

Don't worry, I've been to the edge a few times myself over the years.

In fact, I was about ready to pack it in against OKC this year.

(Are you back in SA now?)

exstatic
07-26-2014, 06:55 PM
LOL folks so scared of starting a duplicate thread they dredge up a two year old one!

RIF

chazley
07-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Hilarious how some of you would rather have a panic signing/trade instead of standing pat. Since we needed another big, maybe we should've just ponied up and given Kwame a $7,000,000 contract. Amnestied RJ and sign an aging Caron Butler coming off major knee surgery for 3 years/24 million. Amnesty RJ and sign Josh Howard, who has been trash past couple seasons and who also is coming off major knee surgery. Kaman would've been an OK trade.. except we didn't have the salaries to make the deal work. They were never taking RJ for Kaman unless we gave up alot more.

Get your head out of the sand and realize the Spurs actually had a decent offseason. Sometimes subtraction by addition is not the best way to go. Instead, our young guys get to prove themselves, and actually improve our trade position if a big name becomes available.

Right once again.

TampaDude
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Nice one! The comments in here. Wow... Talk about overreaction.

Hey, you know we's some cliffjumping mofos up in this bitch. :lol

bklynspursfan
07-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Hey, you know we's some cliffjumping mofos up in this bitch. :lol

That we are. But sheesh. Some of it seemed a little much even for here!

In the end, it's nice to go back and reflect though :)

Especially after winning another ship. Being proven wrong when you think your team is done is always sweet