PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin

swaggerjackson
12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I know he has been mentioned in other threads but I have a few questions:
1) Is he even out of his deal yet or is it just being talked about?
2) If he is out is he worth going after?
3) Do we have any chance at him?

I think he would be a great fit next to Duncan. He is high energy, quick enough to guard the pick and roll, and fierce. He rebounds and a tough defender. He is the gritty competitor we need on this team. Not a long term solution but would get us through the year. I don't know what kind of money he would command or who else is interested, but seeing as though Dice retired we have yet an even bigger whole in the frontcourt.

benefactor
12-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't know what kind of money he would command
More than the Spurs can pay. Much more. Moving on.

tdunk21
12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
1) Is he even out of his deal yet or is it just being talked about?

the latest about him is that the chinese team is getting ready to release him but the details were not mentioned

2) If he is out is he worth going after?
he could be a good addition but is a nutcase

3) Do we have any chance at him?
we only have mini MLE to offer so very less chances of us signing him

objective
12-19-2011, 10:50 PM
1 no
2 yes
3 no

keeping Jefferson's bloat around means that instead of offering someone up to 5 million a year they're stuck at 3.

ducks
12-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Could K-Mart be answer to Spurs' inside questions?
December 19 San Antonio Express-News "With Antonio McDyess' future with the Spurs in question, the team likely would need at least one more big player to help fill in their rotation. Gregg Popovich told Jeff McDonald in a recent interview that the team "probably could use another big in the rotation," but wouldn't settle to "put someone there just to have a body there." The search continues with the team's Dec. 26 opener approaching. And the first two games will provide an interesting early litmus test as the Spurs will face Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph from Memphis and Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers in the first four nights of the season. They potentially could find some help from an unexpected source. ESPN.com"
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nba/nba-rumors.html

m>s
12-19-2011, 11:05 PM
dude was coaxed to sign with the chinks bball team that he currently plays for, if he opts to quit now he'd have to pay multi-million bucks to the chinks team as a compensation. poor n!gga entrapped there :cry

Sean Cagney
12-19-2011, 11:10 PM
dude was coaxed to sign with the chinks bball team that he currently plays for, if he opts to quit now he'd have to pay multi-million bucks to the chinks team as a compensation. poor n!gga entrapped there :cry

Why the hell did anyone go there? Thats the last place I would have went to play and sign a contract for. I would have went somewhere with hot women all over and you could get out of the contract when NBA resumed.

Leftyventricle
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
what's a chink?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
what's a chink?

It's when you have something vulnerable in your armor.

swaggerjackson
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
An unexpected source of help? Awesome I can't wait to see what presents itself

Leetonidas
12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
More than the Spurs can pay. Much more. Moving on.

This isn't 2003 anymore. Dude is an older player who has had multiple knee surgeries. I seriously doubt he's getting more than 5 million a season

loveforthegame
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
An unexpected source of help? Awesome I can't wait to see what presents itself

I wouldn't get too excited. It's probably that they signed TJ Ford to play center and not the back up pg.

SenorSpur
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Too bad they can't just transfer Bonner's salary over to Martin.

swaggerjackson
12-20-2011, 04:19 PM
sorry sarcasm intended on that last post. Just to clear things up: I have little hope for our big man rotation.

manufan10
12-20-2011, 04:25 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_samuel_dalembert.jpg

I'll take this guy over Kenyon Martin, tbh.

baseline bum
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
KMart can probably be rented for a million in March when the Chinese season ends, so it might be a decent signing if he's in any kind of real NBA shape.

DesignatedT
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_samuel_dalembert.jpg

I'll take this guy over Kenyon Martin, tbh.

You realize we barely have any money to offer right?

ChuckD
12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
This isn't 2003 anymore. Dude is an older player who has had multiple knee surgeries. I seriously doubt he's getting more than 5 million a season

1 no
2 yes
3 no

keeping Jefferson's bloat around means that instead of offering someone up to 5 million a year they're stuck at 3.

Danny.Zhu
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
He cannot even dominate in the chinese basketball association.

PublicOption
12-20-2011, 11:39 PM
only if he has that stupid lips tattoo taken off.

Mark in Austin
12-21-2011, 12:33 AM
After the way Duncan has owned him throughout his career, I just can't see him signing here and reminding himself daily of said ownage.

slick'81
12-21-2011, 02:21 AM
sure lets get kenyon.... in march

sananspursfan21
12-21-2011, 02:28 AM

kinda what i was thinking, he shouldnt be worth thaaaat much more, i mean, he's 34 cmon

Obstructed_View
12-21-2011, 02:53 AM
only if he has that stupid lips tattoo taken off.

Did that a couple of years ago.

analyzed
12-21-2011, 05:49 AM
If history is anything to go buy the Spurs do have a reputation of bringing in a veteran big just before the playoffs. remember Thomas and Gooden, I woul'nt be surprise at all if Kenyon comes in as well, form a where he can provide most impact to a contender, the Spurs actually could be the best match

manufan10
12-21-2011, 10:46 AM
You realize we barely have any money to offer right?

It would be the same amount that we could offer K-Mart.

Anonymous Cowherd
12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
He's going to be released, but can't play for another side until the end of his season.

Which will be in time for him to be picked up by a play-off side.

tmtcsc
12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
KMart can probably be rented for a million in March when the Chinese season ends, so it might be a decent signing if he's in any kind of real NBA shape.

What's all this talk have to do with the Million Man March ?

Keynon Martin would be a defensive upgrade at the PF position for us. However, I think Chandler would be a great addition.

Lose Jefferson, sign Chandler and Martin....I can wish right ? Christmas is coming soon. Are all three guys on the same team ?

Oh, and what the hell is stopping these guys from just bailing on the Chinese ? Do they risk being banned from ever playing there again ? Why does China give a damn WHEN these guys play in the NBA. Seems ridiculous. If they buy themselves out of their contracts, they should be able to do whatever they want in the U.S..

Mel_13
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Kenyon Martin has severed ties with the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association, but he won’t be able to secure a FIBA letter of clearance to return to the NBA until the team’s season ends sometime in February or March, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_kenyon_martin_china_nba_122111

Russ
12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Kenyon Martin has severed ties with the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association, but he won’t be able to secure a FIBA letter of clearance to return to the NBA until the team’s season ends sometime in February or March, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_kenyon_martin_china_nba_122111

A FIBA letter of clearance? Huh?

Get to work Pop.:flag:

ChuckD
12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
What's all this talk have to do with the Million Man March ?

Keynon Martin would be a defensive upgrade at the PF position for us. However, I think Chandler would be a great addition.

Lose Jefferson, sign Chandler and Martin....I can wish right ? Christmas is coming soon. Are all three guys on the same team ?

Oh, and what the hell is stopping these guys from just bailing on the Chinese ? Do they risk being banned from ever playing there again ? Why does China give a damn WHEN these guys play in the NBA. Seems ridiculous. If they buy themselves out of their contracts, they should be able to do whatever they want in the U.S..
AFAIK, Wilson Chandler is restricted. Denver won't let that walk out the door without matching for the pennies we can pay him. Jefferson's going nowhere until next off season. They'll never just cut him without amnesty, and that window is closed until July.

dbestpro
12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Can't help but think there is some U.S. labor law issues here. If Martin was a Chinese player he would not be faced with the same restrictions, but because he is a foreign player in China he is prohibited from playing in his own country.

MI21
12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Kenyon would be the best of a bad bunch, he is one of those rare guys who despite age and surgery catching up with him, can still contribute and is athetlic and a good defender, not unlike Shawn Marion was for Dallas last season.

DMC
12-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Can we look at getting Blake Griffin or Lebron?