PDA

View Full Version : Earl Barron?

callo1
12-21-2011, 12:21 AM
I know this guy isn't great, but Portland waived him today and the Spurs need a big.

7'0 who has a decent mid range game and is a decent on the offensive boards.

Doesn't have much of a back to the basket game and is not a good defender, but easily better than Bonner/Blair.

Thoughts?

AFBlue
12-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Did you just advocate for a guy that wasn't a good defender? Why would the Spurs want that?

AFBlue
12-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Signing in 3...2...1...

Obstructed_View
12-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Did you just advocate for a guy that wasn't a good defender? Why would the Spurs want that?

To be fair, "tall and can't defend" >>>>> "short and can't defend".

Dex
12-21-2011, 01:57 AM
If he is taller than 6'10, he won't sign here.

sananspursfan21
12-21-2011, 02:01 AM
why not

callo1
12-21-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm not saying this guy is the answer, just think he is far better than doing nothing. He never has really had a quality big man next to him, so TD may be able to work with him on his defense.

To be honest, he has an above average stroke and his mid range game is pretty decent, so I could see him opening up some more space for Timmy to operate. He can hit the baseline jumper from 12-15 ft and can grab some boards.

Coming off the bench, I think he would be far better than Bonner/Blair, and his salary is realistic.

Poor Timmy hasn't had a decent big next to him since..well...D'Rob.

Actually, Rasho was underrated from a team defensive scheme standpoint.

therealtruth
12-21-2011, 02:52 AM
There's plenty of available 6'10 and taller players the FO can try out if they're interested. It's not about finding perfect but something that allows you start a good defensive frontcourt and not have the horrible Bonner/Blair combo.

Em-City
12-21-2011, 02:59 AM
There's plenty of available 6'10 and taller players the FO can try out if they're interested. It's not about finding perfect but something that allows you start a good defensive frontcourt and not have the horrible Bonner/Blair combo.

please... elaborate.

I'd be happy with The Barron taking some of bonner/blair's minutes.

benefactor
12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
There is a reason why he is 30 and has never stuck with an NBA team.

Anonymous Cowherd
12-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Dearest Sister Candace,

It has now been seven winters since I left our home at Clarksdale Hall and ventured to the Colonies to reclaim our family's fortune following father's unfortunate accident on a pheasant hunt. Blessed with tall stature and broad shoulders, I sought out a career in hooped sport to bring honor back to our family's name and perhaps earn our scions a spot for the next form at Eton. It has been an arduous road, taking me all across this infernal nation of louts and traitors to the monarchy.

Verily, you have heard the news by now by way of Mr. Morse's code-- the moneylender Mr. Sarver has released me from my contract with the Suns of Phoenix in order to clear the way for a foreigner called "Marcin Gortat" and one Vincent Carter, rumored to be a half-man, half-monster figure on the order of the protagonist in R.L. Stevenson's masterly Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. (I hope you have had a chance to read this volume in your studies. Do not waver -- Mistress Haversham is a stern but learned woman.) Gortat is to pair with Don Robin Lopez(notes) to create what they tell me is a most imposing duo.

I fear the writing was on the wall as to my dismissal. Mr. Gortat and Mr. Carter were acquired only by letting go of my good friend the Earl Clark(notes), another nobleman of strong stock who was consigned to the oaken bench in favor of lesser souls. By all accounts, Mr. Sarver has fallen victim to the new populist movement sweeping this country's farmers, no doubt spurred along by the local prefect Lord McCain. I fear there is no room for our kind in this land, though my friends inform me that the latest tax reduction suggests otherwise.

I know not what my next step shall be. Yesterday eve, I supped with my appointed barrister Mr. Derrick Powell, Esq. at an establishment of the restaurateur Mr. Denny. (I requested the "Grand Slam," thinking it fit for a man of my pedigree, but it was queerly damp and tasted of saddle soap.) Mr. Powell has informed me that my options are sadly limited, but good fortune may smile upon me yet. Men of the centered position are often liable to injure their femurs and patella ligaments, and another club may seek my services before long. (Hast thou seen Dr. Woolsley recently? How I long for a good bloodletting. Visiting the physician in this country often requires consultation with an anatomy textbook simply to understand their diagnoses.)

You may wish to sit down to read the following news so as to not catch the dreaded vapors. Mr. Powell informs me that should a basketballing troupe not inquire after my services over the next fortnight, I may have to return to the League of Development, that lowly repository for street urchins and beggars. How I fear a return to those lackluster carriage rides and frigid changing rooms. Yet I must remind myself it is all for the good of our family crest and all for which it stands.

Do not worry after me. In spite of these misgivings, I remain committed as ever to my task. I know in the depths of my heart that all our futures and the names of our forebears depend on it. Anon, I will stand at the throne of this profession, and we will be reunited at Clarksdale Hall, our bellies plump from a feast of roast goose and elderberry wine.

Until then, I shall think wistfully of home and grasp at any piece of information that comes my way. Are the reports true that our fair Prince William has claimed himself an angelic princess? Do not fret, young swan -- soon you will find a suitable husband. With any luck, my victories in America shall provide a sizable dowry.

Please give my best to our loving Mother Jeraldean, feed my hound Tristan his favorite treat, and verify that Billingsley has not let the stables fall into disorder in my absence.
Like the namesake of my last employer's township, I shall rise from the ashes to best all challenges set before me.

Your Humble Servant,

The Earl Barron

ChuckD
12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

callo1
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM

We can always stick with Bonner:) The guy has never had jack for a coach, and he never played next to a real big before. His midrange game alone would bring some high-low back to the offense.

I know it isn't saying much, but Knick fans didn't want to see him go.

We could pay much more for Kmart, and watch him ride the pine injured. If there is something better out there that can actually work financially, let's get it. Were not gonna have time to piss away 20 games with the Bonner/Blair experiment this year.

dbestpro
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
If you want to look at Barron, you might as well look at Etan Thomas. I think he is still a free agent.

sananspursfan21
12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
If you want to look at Barron, you might as well look at Etan Thomas. I think he is still a free agent.

actually, i really like etan thomas a couple years ago, kinda always assumed he'd become a spur someway or another. idk about now though, kind of a corpse

ChuckD
12-21-2011, 07:26 PM
We can always stick with Bonner:) The guy has never had jack for a coach, and he never played next to a real big before. His midrange game alone would bring some high-low back to the offense.

I know it isn't saying much, but Knick fans didn't want to see him go.

We could pay much more for Kmart, and watch him ride the pine injured. If there is something better out there that can actually work financially, let's get it. Were not gonna have time to piss away 20 games with the Bonner/Blair experiment this year.

They're the same player, with one difference each, melanin, and a three pointer. They both suck at defense, so Barron, with no three pointer, is a step BACKWARDS from Bonner, who at least has that.

jermaine
12-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Its sad as fuck we're talking about scraps that couldn't even be the 5th string on other teams. Not just Jim, but everyone we're talking about. This is s sad fuckin time.

callo1
12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
They're the same player, with one difference each, melanin, and a three pointer. They both suck at defense, so Barron, with no three pointer, is a step BACKWARDS from Bonner, who at least has that.

I hope this is sarcasm?

When if ever has Bonner had his 3pt shot in the playoffs?

The problem is that the Spurs don't have much to choose from. Normally I would say sure, wait until the trade deadline and see "IF" a vet big drops in our laps, but with this shortened season, I can't see positives outweighing the negatives of taking that risk.

We need to face the fact that the Spurs can't exactly afford to be choosey.

Sad times indeed:depressed

Mal
12-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I dont have much time to trace Spurs` offseason, so I just log in here for a moment and search for threads about signing, waiving, trading or somethings similiar. But instead of it, there is a thread about Earl Barron. I ask WTF guys ? Every trash recently waived by worse team then Spurs`,is suddenly roster material ?

dbestpro
12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I dont have much time to trace Spurs` offseason, so I just log in here for a moment and search for threads about signing, waiving, trading or somethings similiar. But instead of it, there is a thread about Earl Barron. I ask WTF guys ? Every trash recently waived by worse team then Spurs`,is suddenly roster material ?

Our bench is thinner than a hair on top of an invisible man's bald head.

callo1
12-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Only until they announce the signing of Dwight Howard Friday.:rolleyes

my2sons
12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
so what you're saying is that he has a great 3pt shot and a beast on the boards because if he is better than blair and bonner he must meet the above criteria, or is he a great defender ....no...then pass

Mal
12-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Our bench is thinner than a hair on top of an invisible man's bald head.

Yeah, but we are talking about Earl Barron. Guy , who is garbage time player, a former member of this shitty Miami Heat team, couple years ago. He cant be good.