PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bayless just picked the Spurs to come out of the West

Bill_Brasky
12-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Bold, bold prediction. SAS laughed in his face but I can't say I blame him.

manufan10
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I think he likes picking an underdog.

sananspursfan21
12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
well bayless always says good about the spurs and i would bet money he picked the spurs to win the suns series even when they were down 3-0

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
This reminds me how I wish I had put something down on the Clippers when they were 50/1 to win the West.

Skip's going to be wrong, unless the Spurs figure out a way to turn back the clock AND to find a bigman not named Duncan who could conceivably play like a difference maker in a big spot. But it's not like he picked the Suns or the Kings with this pick.

bigfan
12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
I hope he's right but Bayless is still an idiot of the highest order.

Russ
12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
This reminds me how I wish I had put something down on the Clippers when they were 50/1 to win the West.

I've probably been to more Clippers games than everyone else on this board combined.

Trust me, the Clippers are not going to win the Western Conference.

Blake
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I've probably been to more Clippers games than everyone else on this board combined.

You do realize that 100% of us on this board have internet access...

manufan10
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM

I think it is possible, although their bench might be suspect. They'll at least make things a little more interesting.

Russ
12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
You do realize that 100% of us on this board have internet access...

What does that have to do with the knowledge through suffering that I was alluding to?

I think it is possible, although their bench might be suspect.

Yes, Vinny Del Negro will be sitting on it.

phxspurfan
12-21-2011, 06:13 PM
He's right, the West is weak, the Lakes and Grizz got weaker, and the Spurs have a great chance.

video here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7375819

Bill_Brasky
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
tbh SAS has no room to ridicule after saying the Clips will make the WCF

urunobili
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
lol I'll climb the Kenyan biggest mountain if the Spurs win it all... If they get out of the west, i'll walk 80 miles on the beach... :lol

12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
west is weaker yes but the spurs got worse by getting older. the decline from manu and duncan is exponential. it doesn't matter if the spurs added youth, the main cogs are getting older and less efficient.

pawe
12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
At least they got chemistry. That's all they're banking on.

Nathan89
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
west is weaker yes but the spurs got worse by getting older. the decline from manu and duncan is exponential. it doesn't matter if the spurs added youth, the main cogs are getting older and less efficient.

You know how much they declined?

ChuckD
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
He's right, the West is weak, the Lakes and Grizz got weaker, and the Spurs have a great chance.

video here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7375819

My pick is for the Grizz to not make the playoffs, and that was before their injuries. They were going nowhere last year until Gay got hurt. That actually forced them to change their offense into one that could get them where they needed to go; pound it in the post. However, with Gay back, they will NOT be running the ZBo centric offense, with as much as they're paying RG. It's a shame, but RG is not going to take a supporting role that would allow them to succeed, and there will be contention for shots and touches. That, coupled with the re-birth of the Clippers, will be enough to nudge them out of May play.

FkLA
12-21-2011, 07:54 PM
My pick is for the Grizz to not make the playoffs, and that was before their injuries. They were going nowhere last year until Gay got hurt. That actually forced them to change their offense into one that could get them where they needed to go; pound it in the post. However, with Gay back, they will NOT be running the ZBo centric offense, with as much as they're paying RG. It's a shame, but RG is not going to take a supporting role that would allow them to succeed, and there will be contention for shots and touches. That, coupled with the re-birth of the Clippers, will be enough to nudge them out of May play.

No.

Their defesnse alone will get them in. Probably not a high seed though.

Seventyniner
12-21-2011, 08:00 PM
tbh SAS has no room to ridicule after saying the Clips will make the WCF

They were one win away in 2007. Not bad for a Donald Sterling-owned team.

roycrikside
12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Skip is a dope. He picks the Spurs because he knows it'll piss everyone off since nobody likes the Spurs. That's the ONLY reason he picks them, ever. He likes to get people angry.

One of the reasons Skip gave was that Manu didn't play any international basketball in the off-season. Good research, fuck-o.

He also picked the Heat to sweep the Spurs in the Finals.

In conclusion, fuck that guy in the pants.

ChuckD
12-21-2011, 08:42 PM
No.

Their defesnse alone will get them in. Probably not a high seed though.

Defense will only get you so far if you're not using the clock with a post heavy offense. A faster offense gives up more transition points. I'll bump this thread either way, to crow or to eat crow.

phxspurfan
12-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Defense will only get you so far if you're not using the clock with a post heavy offense. A faster offense gives up more transition points. I'll bump this thread either way, to crow or to eat crow.

Interesting takes either way. My vote is that the Grizz make the playoffs based on talent alone. I don't think Gay screws up that offense so bad that they don't beat out inferior teams like the Suns to make it.

Here's how I see the West going down this year.

Shoo-ins:

Mavs
Thunder
Spurs
Lakers
Blazers
Nuggets

Bubble teams:

Rockettes
Grizz
Clips
Suns
Jazz

That being said I still say the Grizz beat out the Suns and Clips for a seed. Not sure what order it should finish at but teams like the Suns and Jazz don't have the talent level this year, and the Clips will struggle if either Kia Man or CP3 have an off game.

rascal
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Who is Skip Bayless? A local sports guy on the local news?

DMC
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Any of us could be ESPN commentators. All we have to do is predict the strongest looking team to be the winner. That's what SAS does. He never picks a dark horse (no pun intended).

The angry black man thing is overdone, and Skip is the ignorant white man with false hope.

DMC
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Who is Skip Bayless? A local sports guy on the local news?
Yeah, but only radio right after Alex Jones.

ALVAREZ6
12-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Skip is a well known Spurs supporter....so not a shock.

z0sa
12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
:lol I don't know why anyone would pick the spurs to come out of this conference. We haven't done shit except get older. One of the best teams in the confernece? I can see a guy such as Skip Bayless, spurs homer as he is, being able to get away with that one. But even saying the Spurs will get out of the first round is a bold statement right now.

therealtruth
12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Unfortunately the Spurs and Pop in particular don't like to work on expectations. It's usually when there are no expectations when they play their best or win championships.

Xylus
12-23-2011, 03:35 AM

Skip's going to be wrong, unless the Spurs figure out a way to turn back the clock AND to find a bigman not named Duncan who could conceivably play like a difference maker in a big spot. But it's not like he picked the Suns or the Kings with this pick.

Did you seriously just put the Suns and Kings in the same category?

jimo2305
12-23-2011, 04:29 AM
I'd like to believe skip but i just don't see it happening.. i mean i know for the most part this squad won like 62 games last season but that's about the only thing we've got going imo.. we still need to get better

Robz4000
12-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Honestly, as long as we get into the playoffs 100% healthy, anything can happen. Last time the team did that, we won a championship (in b4 'we were younger', etc.). Not that we won't need Splitter or another big to step up, but as long as Duncan is feeling it, Ginobili has both arms and legs working, and Parker has his shot and speed, we'll make some noise. Not sayin' I think we'll win anything, but we can definitely do better than last year (not that that's saying much).

The_Worlds_finest
12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
SAS is an idiot. Back in 05 I recall him going off on the local stsa about how the spurs have no shot against the pistons. Why this maggot is even provided a place to spew his shit on something other than a free podcast is beyond me.

Oh and the team of durant who smith would gladly blow and swallow was 0-3 vs the spurs last year.

lilsupa
12-23-2011, 07:37 AM
:lol I don't know why anyone would pick the spurs to come out of this conference. We haven't done shit except get older. One of the best teams in the confernece? I can see a guy such as Skip Bayless, spurs homer as he is, being able to get away with that one. But even saying the Spurs will get out of the first round is a bold statement right now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop saying that the Spurs did nothing but get older...You sound ridiculous as hell..Do you not see the youth movement, are you eyes not open lol. Ask yourself this, are the Lakers, Celtics, Mavericks older than the spurs? And what have they done to get younger, to my knowledge not a dam thing.

It's crazy everyone talks about the spurs losing in the first round but look what happened to Dallas with the Warriors, they had the best record and they lost but they won a Championship last year with e same old as core pretty much.

I predict the spurs to come out of the West, laugh all you want but I see it happening

dunkman
12-23-2011, 08:46 AM
He's probably right, the Spurs are underrated. This year the roster seems to be complete.

pgardn
12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Too many things would have to go right for us to win the West.

Everyone healthy for the playoffs. A much better slimmed down Blair. Splitter playing for large chunks of time and contributing. Leonard playing like he has been with these guys for years. And Duncan, Ginobili not losing their legs in a tough series.

I cant see it.

Stephen A. Smith... I will never forget when he stated that no self respecting black man could root for Evander Holyfield over Mike Tyson. Pre ear rant. God this guy knows how to perfectly time putting his head down the wrong end of his digestive tract.

Uriel
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM
LJ5QmZAmgqY

Skip Bayless is officially my new favorite ESPN analyst. :lol

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I think Skip's kind of a moron, but his ability to make the blacks angry with his statements is pretty entertaining. I really think he just picked the Spurs to jump on since ESPN announced the ban.

BUMP
12-24-2011, 12:13 AM

I've never been to a Clippers game and I can also say, with confidence, that they are not going to win the West.

rmt
12-24-2011, 12:23 AM

Not just this, but the hole left by Dice - no big to fill that spot in crunch time (and this is ignoring the black hole that's RJ). So who'll it be - TD under the basket to rebound & Bonner to spread the floor or TD foul-line and beyond with Splitter/Blair up close (my guess is Pop chooses the former).

Obstructed_View
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
I've never been to a Clippers game and I can also say, with confidence, that they are not going to win the West.

:lmao

mystargtr34
12-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Not sure how you can put the Spurs above the Griz, let alone win the West.. the Spurs havent really done anything to put them over the Grizz.The Grizz have lost Battier who hardly had a role during the series.. perhaps losing Darrel Arthur means less abuse for Bonner and Blair.. but i dont think that swings the series.

mystargtr34
12-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Actually i forgot the Grizz were without Rudy Gay during the playoffs :lol. they are in with a real shot to win the entire West if he can fit in nicely and not take the Grizz out of their inside-outside game too much.

Proxy
12-24-2011, 02:50 AM
What difference would Rudy Gay make? He doesn't play defense... he's a baller on offense, but the way Memphis hurt us was with Randolph and Gasol and Arthur. If Gay's presence takes shots away from Randolph, then I welcome him with open arms. Switch Gay with Battier, and you have less defense on the perimeter... one less defender on Manu. Allen is good, but it's a different game when you don't have another top tier defender backing you up. Arthur out is big too. He played great in the playoffs and he was HUGELY undervalued in the upset.

Don't fall for Stephen A's bullshit. With the subtraction of Arthur and Battier, and the addition of Gay, Memphis loses their bench. They lose size. They lose defense. They add another offensive threat.

Manu and Timmy make it to the playoffs healthy, and a MEM-SA rematch is going to have a totally different feel to it.

Fireball
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
What difference would Rudy Gay make? He doesn't play defense... he's a baller on offense, but the way Memphis hurt us was with Randolph and Gasol and Arthur. If Gay's presence takes shots away from Randolph, then I welcome him with open arms. Switch Gay with Battier, and you have less defense on the perimeter... one less defender on Manu. Allen is good, but it's a different game when you don't have another top tier defender backing you up. Arthur out is big too. He played great in the playoffs and he was HUGELY undervalued in the upset.

Don't fall for Stephen A's bullshit. With the subtraction of Arthur and Battier, and the addition of Gay, Memphis loses their bench. They lose size. They lose defense. They add another offensive threat.

Manu and Timmy make it to the playoffs healthy, and a MEM-SA rematch is going to have a totally different feel to it.

Thanks for pointing that out .. finally someone feeling the same way about Rudy Gays return :toast