PDA

View Full Version : Splitter just may have last laugh on everyone

underdawg
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
not a ton of news on the Spurs, so I thought I'd at least post this and few other blogs (unless it is forbidden):

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/21/splitter-just-may-have-last-laugh-on-everyone-2/

objective
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Man, McDonald is just ratcheting up the McDonald.

By all-star break he'll be writing that Splitter had ebola and missed the entire season, much to Pop's dismay who was so desperate to play him.

tim_duncan_fan
12-21-2011, 01:26 PM
I think Splitter is soft and weak. He can't get position for rebounds, he attempts to take charges instead of blocking shots and he goes up weak when trying to score.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong though.

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I think Splitter is soft and weak. He can't get position for rebounds, he attempts to take charges instead of blocking shots and he goes up weak when trying to score.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong though.

fail post

didnt u see what he was doing against the grizzlies bigs? he held his own

objective
12-21-2011, 01:58 PM
his playoff numbers were more than solid.

per 36 minutes : 10 boards

his TRB% was second to Duncan (16.3 to 17.3, McDyess 12.0 and Bonner 9.0)

PER of 21.1 (elite)

objective
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
playoff numbers for comparison:

Splitter had identical per 36 rebound numbers as Marc Gasol

A near identical TRB% as Gasol

A slightly better PER than Gasol (21.1 to 18.9)

He shot better than Gasol (62.5 to 51.1)

Per 36, he scored 14.4 compared to Gasol's 13.5

the only strong advantage where Gasol decimated Splitter was in blocks (per 36 = Gasol 1.9 to Splitter's 0.7)

objective
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
but playing him wasn't fair to the team

objective
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Splitter and Gasol also had identical Offensive and Defensive Ratings for the playoffs.

Other differences: Gasol much better at steals, Splitter at assists

Splitter the better defensive rebounder, Gasol offensive

spurs10
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
playoff numbers for comparison:

Splitter had identical per 36 rebound numbers as Marc Gasol

A near identical TRB% as Gasol

A slightly better PER than Gasol (21.1 to 18.9)

He shot better than Gasol (62.5 to 51.1)

Per 36, he scored 14.4 compared to Gasol's 13.5

the only strong advantage where Gasol decimated Splitter was in blocks (per 36 = Gasol 1.9 to Splitter's 0.7)
This was encouraging. I do think Tiago will be a strong 5 for us. Tim and him are playing the same position though, so one of them is going to have to take on the Zac Randolphs of the league. As said by many, it's not the C we have a problem with, it's the PF. Blair and Bonner are not ideally the best 1st option at this position. While both provide certain skills, defending high scoring, big power forwards is not one of them. The two of them playing at the same time is also not preferable, therefore making it harder to back up the double T's. Should be interesting watching the rotations tonight, but more interesting Monday night.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

therealtruth
12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
This was encouraging. I do think Tiago will be a strong 5 for us. Tim and him are playing the same position though, so one of them is going to have to take on the Zac Randolphs of the league. As said by many, it's not the C we have a problem with, it's the PF. Blair and Bonner are not ideally the best 1st option at this position. While both provide certain skills, defending high scoring, big power forwards is not one of them. The two of them playing at the same time is also not preferable, therefore making it harder to back up the double T's. Should be interesting watching the rotations tonight, but more interesting Monday night.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I think that's the value of playing them together. They can switch off as it makes sense. The Mavs did the same in the finals with Bosh. They switched Nowitzki/Chanlder on and off him. Switching defenders also keeps the offensive player off balance.

SenorSpur
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Splitter practicing throughout the summer with Duncan is only going to help. Too bad the Spurs didn't have yet another young big on hand to practice along with them.

silverblk mystix
12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
:pop: Who the fuck is Splinter?

spurs10
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I, too, want to see Tim and Tiago out there together, as that is our best two guys defending the basket. Rotations and managing Tim's minutes will be interesting. I don't even want to think about either of the two getting injured, but we know for sure Tim will not be playing all 66 games. We are still one player, arguably Dice's replacement, short of a team. Our depth in the backcourt is strong....

spurs10
12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
:pop: Who the fuck is Splinter?
That dude with the broken leg, I think. :toast

wildbill2u
12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
When a guy can't jump too high, he may try to take a charge to help his team defense. With guys as big and fast in this league, taking a charge takes some stones that blocking a shot does not.

Last night on Open Court, Charles Barkley said he hated guys who'd take a charge so he'd go at them time after time to see if they'd do it six times. I think his point was he was willing to pick up the fouls if they were willing to take the beating.

Shot blocking is highly overrated although fans love it. Attempts to block more often fail and wind up hurting the club with fouls. Even if the shot is blocked, the ball may still wind up in the hands of the offense and let them have another try.

On the other hand, taking a charge denies the other team a shot and makes them accumulate fouls. Why do we love it when Manu flops and takes a charge? Because it is a great play that requires intelligence, judgment and stones.

We ought to give Splitter more props on this tactic as legitimate defense, not criticise him for not having other abiiities.

DrSteffo
12-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Splitter is good but not great.

therealtruth
12-21-2011, 07:08 PM
When a guy can't jump too high, he may try to take a charge to help his team defense. With guys as big and fast in this league, taking a charge takes some stones that blocking a shot does not.

Last night on Open Court, Charles Barkley said he hated guys who'd take a charge so he'd go at them time after time to see if they'd do it six times. I think his point was he was willing to pick up the fouls if they were willing to take the beating.

Shot blocking is highly overrated although fans love it. Attempts to block more often fail and wind up hurting the club with fouls. Even if the shot is blocked, the ball may still wind up in the hands of the offense and let them have another try.

On the other hand, taking a charge denies the other team a shot and makes them accumulate fouls. Why do we love it when Manu flops and takes a charge? Because it is a great play that requires intelligence, judgment and stones.

We ought to give Splitter more props on this tactic as legitimate defense, not criticise him for not having other abiiities.

Exactly blocking a shot is overrated. It can be used strategically. At the same time taking charges and altering shots are just as useful.

rascal
12-22-2011, 01:29 PM

It is not the blocked shot that is important it is the intimidation that you have the ability to block a shot. Players with shot blocking ability are more of an interior intimidation presence and that alone takes easy layup drives away.

Trying to draw a charge is weak( those calls can also go against you and you often see and 1s) because Splitter can't jump and is too slow to challenge quicker players to block shots. He has the height why else does he not block shots.

rascal
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Splitter in not even good. He is only good to this board and overrated because he wears a Spurs jersey and is now the only hope on the frontline.

rascal
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Splitter is only good as a backup limited minutes type of player and does not belong on a starting frontline for teams with championship ambitions.

jag
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the analysis. My favorite part was where you did all the analysis.

Splitter in not even good. He is only good to this board and overrated because he wears a Spurs jersey and is now the only hope on the frontline.

That goes for you too. Thanks bro

Man In Black
12-22-2011, 02:58 PM
It is not the blocked shot that is important it is the intimidation that you have the ability to block a shot. Players with shot blocking ability are more of an interior intimidation presence and that alone takes easy layup drives away.

Trying to draw a charge is weak( those calls can also go against you and you often see and 1s) because Splitter can't jump and is too slow to challenge quicker players to block shots. He has the height why else does he not block shots.

I almost agree with you but people like Bruce Bowen will tell you that POSITION DEFENSE affects the game much more than a highlight blocked shot. It's way more effective to deny shooters position than to block shots. It's not pretty, it doesn't show in the box score but it's why guys like Chuck Hayes, Wes Unseld, and even for a time, Malik Rose, were able to make bigger players less effective.