PDA

View Full Version : The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I wasn't crazy about it tbh. It was okay but way too long, meandering, and convoluted. Overall the story itself seems pretty weak, so I'm guessing Fincher did the best he could with the source material he had.

Rooney Mara was badass tho, and there was something really hot about her in this movie.

btw I'm guessing the popular thing to say is "the Swedish version is better", it seems like something every douche on earth would say about this movie. I heard it at least 4-5 times leaving the theater so I'm guessing that's the new popular douche opinion.

TAMUK Drop-out
12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
The Swedish version is better.

redzero
12-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I haven't seen either version, but the original is probably better.

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen either version, but the original is probably better.

lol

Sorry but David Fincher is an absolute master at his craft, I refuse to believe some asshole from Sweden could do better with source material that weak.

Sense
12-21-2011, 09:16 PM
lol

Sorry but David Fincher is an absolute master at his craft, I refuse to believe some asshole from Sweden could do better with source material that weak.

So you didn't watch the Swedish version..

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I think "the Swedish version is better" is just a way for people to masturbate over the fact that they've actually seen a movie with subtitles in the past decade.

redzero
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I saw Fight Club and Se7en, so I know how beastly Fincher.

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
So you didn't watch the Swedish version..

nope. nor have I read the book.

what i gathered from this version is that the book was probably retarded as shit because the story is terribly unoriginal and stupid, the Swedish version just regurgitated that same crap, and David Fincher did what he could, and took a godawful "appeal to the masses" piece of crap and made it halfway watchable.

redzero
12-21-2011, 09:18 PM
How much rape is in it?

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm guessing this is the murder mystery equivalent of Transformers, and if Fincher directed Transformers I'd probably have the same lukewarm response, as opposed to the vomit inducing feeling I get from the Michael Bay movies.

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:20 PM
How much rape is in it?

A couple scenes. I got a little chubby seeing Rooney Mara's ass in one of them.

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Maybe a better comparison would have been if Fincher directed The Da Vinci Code, maybe it would have been merely okay instead of a total piece of shit like the book. Which just makes me wonder why Fincher would take on a shitty story like this. I guess for the paycheck and all the murder/sodomy involved.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
lol calling the Da Vince Code book a piece of shit

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
lol calling the Da Vince Code book a piece of shit

Just because something shits on religion doesn't automatically make it good.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Just because something shits on religion doesn't automatically make it bad.

:lol bible thumper

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:24 PM
All this movie/story did was appeal to everyone's hatred of rapists, child molesters, and Nazi's. I applaud their courage.

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Just because something shits on religion doesn't automatically make it bad.

:lol bible thumper

:lmao I thought Religulous was a great documentary. Thanks for trying tho.

Sense
12-21-2011, 09:25 PM
nope. nor have I read the book.

Didn't think so..

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:25 PM
You're also a bible thumper, thus you probably don't like a book that questions the merit of your precious bible :lol

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Didn't think so..

So what was so great about the book? The "rapists are bad and get what they deserve!" part, the "child molesters and wifebeaters are bad and get what they deserve!" part, or the "Nazis are bad and get what they deserve!" part?

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:27 PM
You're also a bible thumper, thus you probably don't like a book that questions the merit of your precious bible :lol

No, but I love a documentary that does the exact same thing. :lmao good one!

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:30 PM
:lol sensitive about your love for the bible

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:30 PM
:lol sensitive about your love for the bible

:lol sensitive that I shit on a book you like

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:32 PM
As if I'm be surprised at a bible thumper hating the Da Vinci Code :lol

It's no different than a skin head not liking the movie American History X :lol

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
:cry Don't make fun of books I like! :cry

So why would I hate The Da Vinci Code but love a documentary like Religulous? Please explain that.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Because religulous doesn't single out the bible and target it like the da vinci code does

Don't ask me to explain the logic of bible thumpers, I'll never understand the hatred you people have towards victims of rape :lol

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
and The Da Vinci Code was only one of the biggest books of the past decade, especially in the US. You're telling me that if all Bible thumpers hated it, that it would have been as successful as it was?

Or maybe it's the fact that it's a poorly written story with unoriginal, by-the-numbers moments that appeal to the same people who watch crap like CSI and Grey's Anatomy.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Tbh I don't watch CSI or Grey's anatomy and agree people who watch them are simpletons, but someone who watches John and Kate + 8 should be careful about scoffing TV shows :lol

and yes there are plenty of non-bible thumpers in the US, they're the ones who keep the country running

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
If you don't like a bible thumper saying it to you, take it from an atheist then -

Stephen Fry has referred to Brown's writings as "complete loose stool-water" and "arse gravy of the worst kind." In a live chat on June 14, 2006, he clarified, "I just loathe all those book[s] about the Holy Grail and Masons and Catholic conspiracies and all that botty-dribble. I mean, there's so much more that's interesting and exciting in art and in history. It plays to the worst and laziest in humanity, the desire to think the worst of the past and the desire to feel superior to it in some fatuous way."

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
congratulations, you found an athiest who agrees with you

I wonder what he has to say about John and Kate + 8

monosylab1k
12-21-2011, 09:53 PM
congratulations, you found an athiest who agrees with you

I wonder what he has to say about John and Kate + 8

lol moving the goalposts

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
lol thinking you won by finding an (singular) athiest who doesn't like Da Vince Code :lol

leemajors
12-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Dan Brown is not a very good author, but neither was Ian Fleming. I liked the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the two subsequent novels, but Fleming and Larsson were both journalists and it shows in their writing. I thought the story of GWDT was the strong point, but the writing wasn't all that technically great. A lot of the hacking stuff is fairly dated at this point, but for a first novel it was a great effort.

Leetonidas
12-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Good thread tbh

JoeChalupa
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I read the first book and really enjoyed it but then again I've read the Twilight books so...