PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Rockets - Preseason Game 2

timvp
12-22-2011, 03:44 AM
-Tim Duncan looked really good in the scrimmage and continued to look really good in his first and only preseason game. In just 23 minutes, he poured in 19 points, five assists and four rebounds. Offensively, most of his damage was done with his jumper – he’s not hesitating and appears very confident in his stroke. Consistently knocking down those shots could add a season or two of elite play, so let’s hope it continues. Duncan’s passing was also very impressive. On defense, his slimmed down physique has aided his mobility. All in all, Duncan looks as good as could have been expected coming out of the lockout.

-Although Manu Ginobili’s stats look poor (1-for-8 from the field with two turnovers in 23 minutes), I’m not worried. He’s not in Duncan level shape but he’s moving and jumping well. His defensive effort has been MIA, however I expect that to resurface now that the real games are about to begin.

-Tony Parker was the best player on the court in the first quarter. He got the Spurs off to a fast start thanks to his speed and ability to break down the Rockets defense. Parker even played a couple possessions of full-court defense, which tells you that he’s feeling good. Seeing as he’s been playing basketball regularly, it’s doubtful that Parker will have any trouble to begin the 2011-12 NBA season. But can he survive the forthcoming rigorous grind following a busy offseason?

-The amnesty survivor looked sharp. Richard Jefferson nailed all three of his three-point attempts and outside of a few typical airheaded mistakes on defense, his all-around game was virtually flawless. He still needs to pick up the intensity but Jefferson’s shooting touch looks to be in tip top shape. One thing to watch is the amount of touches he’s getting. In this game, his touches were few and far between. It’ll be interested to see if the coaching staff force feeds Jefferson more touches or they will allow his touches to come organically within the offense. If it’s the latter, his offensive role on this team could look identical to what we came to expect out of Bruce Bowen – spot up threes and little else.

-DeJuan Blair got the start at center. While I wouldn’t say he played very well, his level of play was a huge improvement from what we witnessed in the first preseason game and in the scrimmage. He *gasp* actually played defense. Blair was slow to rotate out to shooters a few times but overall his defense went from excruciatingly horrid to simply below average. On offense, the undersized bigman showed off his underrated passing skills. His chemistry with the other four starters is very good. While I’m not a big fan of this lineup (more on that in an upcoming thread), you can’t argue with the success it has had.

-Kawhi Leonard led the bench with 22 minutes. I really want to say how I was impressed with his play and how I foresee big things for the rookie – but I can’t lie. The truth is that Leonard was invisible once again. Yes, he hit the game-winning jumper at the end but the rest of his evening consisted of a whole lot of nothingness. Offensively, he spent most of his time wandering around the perimeter. He didn’t look comfortable taking jumpers or driving to the basket. When he got the ball by the rim, I was underwhelmed by his lack of athleticism when attempting to finish. Leonard, billed as a high-energy player, actually ran the court slowly all night. On defense, he had a couple of nice plays but – again – his impact was extremely minimal. Considering he’s so young, had no summer league, an abbreviated training camp and only a pair of exhibition games, Leonard not shining early can hardly be a surprise. I do like his team-first attitude on the court, his overall awareness and the fact that he seems to have no problem playing a role. But let’s hope he can find his niche sooner rather than later because the Spurs really do need him to produce this season. Unfortunately, as it stands, I haven’t seen any indication that he’s ready for the bright lights yet.

-With Pop resting his franchise player, Gani Lawal profited most by Matt Bonner having the night off. On defense, Lawal’s energy was infectious. He played quality team defense and didn’t back down when it came time to fight for rebounds and loose balls in the paint. For a guy coming off a serious knee injury, he sure does move and jump really well. In fact, by just watching him play, I can’t tell which knee is the one that suffered the torn cartilage and ACL. Offensively, things didn’t go as swimmingly for Lawal. He tried to do too much; he played like he thought he was a combination of Tim Duncan and Hakeem Olajuwon. If Lawal can limit his ambition to simply being a bouncy power forward who brings relentless effort, I can actually see him being a legit candidate for the fifth bigman role. It’d be nice if he were a couple inches taller but I saw enough defensive potential to warrant consideration.

-James Anderson played much more under control this game. In 17 minutes, he only took three shots, hitting two. But we again saw his sneaky playmaking ability and his upgraded athleticism. Overall, I thought his defensive execution was average but he had a rebound in traffic and a blocked shot that really highlighted what this new version of James Anderson could bring to the table. I’m hoping he gets a legit chance to showcase what he can do in the regular season. I don’t think he’s a star in the making but he’s a really smooth basketball player who is riding a wave of confidence.

-Yikes. This was a step back for Tiago Splitter. He just couldn’t get anything going against the Rockets. Even when matched up against smaller players, Splitter struggled to take advantage of his size. He also did a poor job on the glass and didn’t protect the rim. The good news is that Splitter seems totally comfortable and understands the offense and defense. Now he just needs to toughen up a little bit and begin to impose his will. He has all the size and talent needed to be successful.

-This was a step in the right direction for TJ Ford. While not always pretty, Ford dribbled much less and his shot selection was excellent. If anything, he passed up a few shots he should have attempted. Ford is still an odd fit but if he refrains from over-dribbling, he could be an asset on offense due to his passing ability. Defensively, there’s not much hope but it’s not for a lack of effort – he’s just small and weak.

-Corey Joseph was a definite bright spot. His first couple stints on the court were really solid. The kid has a good feel for the game. Joseph plays with a measured pace and does good work controlling the show when he’s the lead guard. He also plays a bit bigger than he looks, which helps on both ends of the court. It will be really interesting to see how he reacts to real regular season action. Will his ballhandling hold up to the pressure? Is he enough of a scoring threat when he has the ball? So far, I continue to see no obvious flaws in his game, although he does look like he needs a lot of work in the weight room.

-Danny Green is a player who could start the season as part of the regular rotation and he wouldn’t hurt the Spurs. He does everything needed from a role playing swingman on this team. However, the question remains whether his limited ceiling makes him a worthwhile player to have around. Green at his best is nothing more than a good role player. That said, I personally hope the Spurs keep him around. He’s a perfect insurance policy against a perimeter player going down with an injury. Plus if Leonard isn’t ready yet, Green can fill any gaps that may leave.

-Frank Hassell got a shot to prove he’s better than Lawal – but wasn’t able to do so. Hassell is a big, imposing dude but there’s not enough substance to him. And while he’s powerfully built, he appears to be top-heavy and hasn’t yet learned how to use his strength to his advantage. Keeping him in Austin would be a good idea though because he could develop into a fifth bigman type down the line if he polishes his game.

-What compromising pictures does Luke Zeller own?

rold50
12-22-2011, 03:54 AM
In. I think kawhi just needs time to get settled and understand the system and he'll eventually be a good contributor.

Bill_Brasky
12-22-2011, 03:55 AM
I expected more energy from Kawhi. He also showed off some handles but never made aggressive moves toward the basket. He looks like a guy who's been watching RJ. Would also like to see him develop a little post game.

FvckMavs
12-22-2011, 03:56 AM
In. Great read. Thanks.

ColinB
12-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Awesome write up.

I agree on Lawal. I kinda hope he stays. Not sure what he was doing on offense, but the energy he brings on defense I like.

Leonard seems like a very passive player. Didn't watch much of him in college, but I hope that's not his game and he is just trying not to make mistakes right now.

siraulo23
12-22-2011, 04:00 AM
In.

Great read as always

Edit: I?

roycrikside
12-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Agree on most of your thoughts.

Right now I think Green is much more ready to contribute as a backup 3 than Kahwi is. I wish I was wrong about him, but as an Aztec alum I saw this guy play a few times, and I just wasn't impressed by him, to be honest. I didn't think he was all that better than the other two bigs SDSU had. Really, I think he's a tweener, and his game is more like an undersized 4. I think he'd probably be more comfortable in the small ball system, even though I hate it.

Also, I like this Joseph kid. He seems to me a lot more ready to contribute than Leonard is. He's not super talented, but he's not afraid either, and that's important. I think he'd play defense better than Ford, wouldn't over-dribble, and would be more comfortable working with Manu in the second unit.

timtonymanu
12-22-2011, 04:01 AM
This is probably unfair to other knowledgeable grey posters on the board but TD 21 deserves to be bolded if he hasn't already.

Nice analysis timvp. I hope Leonard is saving himself instead of really just showing us his true game. He looks very nonchalant so far. I want to say RJ did a good job but until he can make those shots in the playoffs, I can't say his play today was a good thing.

timvp
12-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Also, I like this Joseph kid. He seems to me a lot more ready to contribute than Leonard is. He's not super talented, but he's not afraid either, and that's important. I think he'd play defense better than Ford, wouldn't over-dribble, and would be more comfortable working with Manu in the second unit.

Good point on Joseph being a better fit next to Manu than TJ. If Joseph's three-point shooting translates to the NBA, he looks like he'd be a really good fit next to Manu.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop sends Joseph straight to Austin or if he gives him a chance. Beno got a chance right away. Hill, once he got healthy, was given a chance right away. Joseph is greener than both Beno and Hill were heading into their rookie seasons but I think it would do him some good to get some early action so he at least knows what he'd need to work on in Austin.

Robz4000
12-22-2011, 04:12 AM
I like your comments about Lawal, really hope he's kept on for the season. I thought Hassell was making a good impression to be kept in town too. His enthusiasm was great, and he looks to be a big similar to the likes of Bynum or Z-bo with a little work (nowhere near as effective or talented tho). I thought Splitter did alright, he just needs to grow a pair. Green looked spectacular like you said. As for Duncan, I think you understated how well he looked; in 23 minutes he did what he struggled to do in 30+ last season. If Splitter, Bonner, Blair, and Lawal and/or Hassell can help him out well enough and give him lots of rest, we're gonna be set to make up for last year's failure.

baseline bum
12-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Good point on Joseph being a better fit next to Manu than TJ. If Joseph's three-point shooting translates to the NBA, he looks like he'd be a really good fit next to Manu.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop sends Joseph straight to Austin or if he gives him a chance. Beno got a chance right away. Hill, once he got healthy, was given a chance right away. Joseph is greener than both Beno and Hill were heading into their rookie seasons but I think it would do him some good to get some early action so he at least knows what he'd need to work on in Austin.

I figure Joseph stands a decent chance of being on the active roster until Neal is good to go.

z0sa
12-22-2011, 04:16 AM
I, too, was somewhat Offput by splitter's efforts. I don't really know if this is the problem, but it seemed to me that he needed to stop thinking and keep playing.

Bruno
12-22-2011, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. :tu

I can see three factors that will push Pop to keep Joseph with Spurs:
- This year, because of the compressed schedule, teams will be able to have a 13 players active roster until February 6th. There is one more spot open for Joseph.
- Spurs are over the tax and keeping players without a guaranteed contract will cost more because of that. For example, keeping Danny Green will cost $1.42M. I can see Spurs waiving Zeller, Hassel and Green to keep only 13 players.
- Because of the lockout, the D-League is at its worst this year. It will likely improve with the NBA starting again but I doubt it will be as good as in the previous years.

Dex
12-22-2011, 04:26 AM
Looks at all the fancy BNSFs in here. :elephant

Thanks for the write-up!

Here's hoping Joseph gets a shot at the backup point guard spot. He showed more potential as a rookie than grit Ford showed as a vet. Things just looked smoother out there when he was running the offense, and I'd rather have a player who has a high ceiling make some rookie mistakes, than having a guy who is prone to mistakes just being himself.

lilsupa
12-22-2011, 04:30 AM
I really enjoyed reading this write up and I agree with your game thoughts. I really hope that pop does not send Cory to Austin, from what i can see he might be a steal. He is poised, confident, has good play making skills and great court vision plus his D is 10 times better than TJ. As far as KL goes I think he will come around and become more aggressive as the they games starts to count. he seems like he has solid handles and he is pretty quick on offense. From what I seen is college he is pretty athletic and i think that he is an underrated scorer. All in all I only see great things from both of them

ColinB
12-22-2011, 04:44 AM
The thing I like most about Joseph is that he plays like a PG should. I liked what Hill brought to the Spurs but he wasn't a PG so the offense was sloppy. I honestly didn't like how Ford played in either game. His speed is nice, but that's all I've got. No reason Joseph doesn't stay until Spurs knock down the roster to 12, and then I'm not so sure. I guess it will depend on how everyone is playing because I think that 12th spot needs to be occupied by a "big" or what the Spurs consider to be one.

I'm not against him going to the Toros though. He is quite young and the experience would be good. His offense skillset could use some work, although that would just be an added bonus for now as that's not what the Spurs need out of him when he is in the game.

mingus
12-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Duncan loooks sharp early on. last season he did as well, but ran into a wall right after the all-star break. w/ such a busy schedule this year... crossing my fingers.

not impressed with Kawhi offensively. seems to have no offensive instinct. defensively the jury is still out. he'll show his worth and hopefully make his money when guarding the great perimiter players.

therealtruth
12-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Pop needs to play the 10 best defenders regardless. I think that will mean he will have to play Joseph and Lawal. The theme of this season should be regaining defensive roots and going back to the offense from early last season.

analyzed
12-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Regardless of how NBA ready RJ and Ford are as veterans over Joseph and Kawhi who look very raw. I really don't think you have much of a choice but to invest in youth and make them play through their struggles. Will it translate to them being ready for the playoffs? maybe not there are no guarantees. But that's simply the gamble you have to take. There is no room for playing safe.

Put it this way, we know we will only go so far with RJ and Ford in the playoffs. RJ's 10 pts a game with suspect defense. Now with Kawhi, yeah he might not even average double figures in the playoff. But you've got to wonder who in the current line-up will guard Dirk, Durant and Kobe ? Isn't that more important and critical to our success. Now I'm not saying Kawhi can hold his own defensively agiant those guys. But at this point we really don't have an alternative. And I would take my chances with the hope that maybe he can provide enough stops. I would rather put a guy with decent size and athleticim on an elite player and make him fight for his life to prove himself. Hell, we might burn trying. but at least we have a chance. with RJ we have no chance

TDMVPDPOY
12-22-2011, 05:34 AM
the guys that are not living up to the hype, rj, blair, leonard, anderson, bench....its hard when they are playing for 4th or 5th option on offense and gettin limited shots due to the big 3 needing theirs...i hope pop starts ginoboli of the bench and allow a more even spreaded offense for the starters and bench. MAYBE our expectations are too high for these bench players, when theirs only one ball and not enough touches for everyone. This needs to be address when NEAL comes back into the rotation...

The_Worlds_finest
12-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the Nice write up Timvp.

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Leonard has to be more aggressive. I hope the more he plays more comfortable he gets. SO far he looks timid to attack and do more

jermaine
12-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Timvp the last time I was on ST your wife was saying you was sick an asking for everyone's prayers. I replied that judging by the way she's asking for everyone's prayers you must be a GREAT man, father,an husband. An. That God would see you through. Glad to see you back to your old self.
Great men do great things, even when the lights are off. An you took the time to write all that at 2:44am, Ooooo the lights are off.

benefactor
12-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I can already see the "We traded Hill for this?"meltdown threads coming.

It's hard to get a read on Leonard right now. It looks like he's pretty unsure of himself and as you said, a lot of that can be contributed by not playing much basketball at all with the team. One thing is for sure, he can at least put in more effort. For a guy that is billed as an energy guy he shows very little. I'd almost rather see him trying to do too much and backing off then starting off too tentative. Open those wings son.

Everyone(those that will make the roster anyway) else looked pretty good. Lawal was a pleasant surprise and looks like he could hold down the 5th big spot to start the season until the FO finishes their "patient search" for something better. Splitter struggled some but I think he will be fine. Overall, the team is playing about as good as anyone can expect with so little time to prepare. If the Big Three will likely have to carry them a little early on but if the youngsters can beat the curve and contribute by the time we get the first month of the season out of the way the team should be able to survive the grind. Getting Gary Neal back sooner than later will help a lot too.

dougp
12-22-2011, 08:27 AM
One thing I fail to see mentioned is Manu's disgusting pass to Tony in the first quarter. That was probably one of the sickest ones we'll ever see - you barely had time to see it happen, and apparently it worked too, because the Rockets looked completely lost. It's play #9 in the top 10 from last night - http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2011/12/21/20111221_top10.nba/

DPG21920
12-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Consider me already concerned with Leonard. For a guy billed as a high energy, athletic guy compared to the likes of Marion or Gerald Wallace I've yet to see a glimpse of either of those. The concerning part is that those traits have nothing to do with learning a system or rust & you still don't see them at an NBA or even average level.

Admidave50
12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Always a joy to read you! I'm not too concerned by Leonard's offense as we were pretty good last year as an offensive team but were shitty on defense! If he starts to suck playing defense I'll start to worry...

xellos88330
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Last night I was watching the backup PG role. TJ had two different halves. The first half was a train wreck. Once he entered the game, the offense came to a screeching halt. He was overdribbling and was passing up easy looks for turnovers. Ford just keeps trying to break down defenses using only his handling. It looks like he wasn't realizing that you can break it down by moving w/o the ball. In the second half, TJ came out looking 200% better. He was getting rid of the ball earlier and wasn't passing up scoring opportunities. I guess Pop had a talk with him or something.

Joseph was pretty darn good last night. I expected a drop in team production when he entered the game but there was none. He was moving well, and was shifting the opponents defense w/o the ball. For not having much time with the team, he really seems to grasp the Spurs style. I was thinking that this performance was only due to him being on the court with starters, but it wasn't the case. He continued to play well in the second half.

Currently, I would prefer Joseph over Ford as the Spurs backup PG. TJ just looks like he is trying to do too much. Joseph it seems to let the game come to him, or he is pulling of a great Forrest Gump impression.

dbestpro
12-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Blair is the EOP man of the Spurs. He makes a play and gives up a play. This way both teams are happy, or er' unhappy.

TJastal
12-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I can already see the "We traded Hill for this?"meltdown threads coming.

It's hard to get a read on Leonard right now. It looks like he's pretty unsure of himself and as you said, a lot of that can be contributed by not playing much basketball at all with the team. One thing is for sure, he can at least put in more effort. For a guy that is billed as an energy guy he shows very little. I'd almost rather see him trying to do too much and backing off then starting off too tentative. Open those wings son.

Everyone(those that will make the roster anyway) else looked pretty good. Lawal was a pleasant surprise and looks like he could hold down the 5th big spot to start the season until the FO finishes their "patient search" for something better. Splitter struggled some but I think he will be fine. Overall, the team is playing about as good as anyone can expect with so little time to prepare. If the Big Three will likely have to carry them a little early on but if the youngsters can beat the curve and contribute by the time we get the first month of the season out of the way the team should be able to survive the grind. Getting Gary Neal back sooner than later will help a lot too.

Add this thread to your future viewing: "We passed up Chris Singleton.., for this...!?

Mel_13
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Add this thread to your future viewing: "We passed up Chris Singleton.., for this...!?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_singleton/index.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kawhi_leonard/index.html

TJastal
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_singleton/index.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kawhi_leonard/index.html

Here's a comment from an wizard fan who appears to have watched an actual game. No offense to your stat pages, of course.

Singleton impressed me. I think he is going to be a really good player in this league for a long time. He could easily jump ahead of Rashard right now and contribute way more then him. He disrupted plays right from the start of his play and looked like he had confidence in his jumper, even though he only knocked down 2 from what I can remember.

http://www.wizardsextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4808&page=2

Mel_13
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's a comment from an wizard fan who appears to have watched an actual game. No offense to your stat pages, of course.

Congrats. You found a Wizard fan who likes their new rookie.

ElNono
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the writeup, LJ. Enjoyable read.

What I definitely see coming is the "Free Lawal" threads whenever Matty/Blair rolls the red carpet to the rim. In a way, I wish he wouldn't have pulled off his obscene block on Scola, tbh. :lol

gospursgojas
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Leonard sucks right now. But so did George Hill in his first camp/preseason....give him time.

Manufan909
12-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Looks at all the fancy BNSFs in here. :elephant

Thanks for the write-up!

Here's hoping Joseph gets a shot at the backup point guard spot. He showed more potential as a rookie than grit Ford showed as a vet. Things just looked smoother out there when he was running the offense, and I'd rather have a player who has a high ceiling make some rookie mistakes, than having a guy who is prone to mistakes just being himself.

What does BNSF/GNSF mean!?!

Also, I hope these are the Spurs active players once playoffs begin:

Parker/Joseph
Manu/Anderson/Neal
Leonard/Jefferson
Duncan/Lawal/Hassell
Splitter/Blair

Canibspur
12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
the blair hate is disgusting .... he made so many defense plays ... stop hating blair

Yeah three open court steals from playing passing lanes perfect is considered below average dee? Its like you wrote up Blair's piece before the game was played tbh. Our season didnt actually start turning to shit last year til the starting lineup was tweaked to give dice the starting role and more minutes. Some players just arent stat guys. That doesnt mean they dont help win. Was bowen a stat guy? Hell to the no but we dont hoist the obryant w/o him. No Blair is not Bowen but you should get the point.

Leonard sucks right now. But so did George Hill in his first camp/preseason....give him time.

Not to mention a whole lot of Manu hate during the early part of his rookie season too. There arent many rooks who can join a team with a well established core without an offseason and super condensed camp and looking like they are the future right off the bat. Give him time to pick up probably the most complicated offensive and defensive systems around. He will continue to get better in all areas. His work ethic will make sure of it. Wanting the ball in you hands in crunch time (preseason or not) and hitting a clutch j to win the game with dee in your face is still a very good sign. We know the season isnt a normal one but we still have to be a little more patient.

All in all though i did like the write up Timvp and look forward to the next breakdown from ya. Thanks.

dylankerouac
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the write-up Timvp.

I thought Tiago did pretty bad but it also seemed he only got the ball when there was a lot of traffic around him. Other Spurs players may have been out of position and it gave Tiago the short end of the stick that lead to 2 or 3 turnovers. Seems like every time there was traffic he simply got the ball stripped. This may have not been completely his fault since he was also playing with the second team, pretty much everyone there has been with the team for less than a year or two so everyone on the floor is learning where they need to be.

Lawal excites me and I hope he stays on the team. He may have the most 'hops' on the team and the knees to support those hops.

I loved Tim's away from the basket game, I hope Pop continues to let Blair, Tiago, Kawhi and everyone not named Bonner do some dirty work under the basket. It will probably come at the cost of rebounds but if it prolongs his career and he's fresher throughout the season for it, I'm all for it. Simply the greatest.

Ford had some big mistakes, he was definitely trying to do too much and needs to play with his current skill set, not the one he had before major injuries - I think his mentality is his biggest problem. He did much better in the second half. If he can duplicate the second half on a nightly basis CJ may have to look for a place to stay in Austin.

Leonard did show some passiveness but he's a rookie and needs to wait for his number to be called on offense. I think once he starts getting his 20 minutes a night he'll figure it out and only get better. This team also has 3 really established players, the Spurs are pop are not asking Leonard to put the team on his shoulders so he just needs to find his groove and niche in the team as has been said countless times. He's got a great build; really the most important thing is that he's able to get his play in to defend the elite scorers we'll face in the playoffs. The spurs have a lot of scorers, if Leonard can defend and grab some rebounds he's A+ because that's what the team needs.

sabar
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Pop looked bored for a lot of the game. He had a lot of opportunities to tear into the players for botched rotations and such, but didn't. I really like what I saw from Duncan. He looks young!

benefactor
12-22-2011, 12:42 PM
One thing is for sure, Leonard will need to wake up and start asserting himself sooner than later. The longer he waits the closer Pop gets to the "he's not ready/wouldn't be fair to the team" mindset that will allow him to bury Leonard and forget about him until garbage time late in games.

venitian navigator
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
...probably it's just a thought with no chance of happening, but the clearance of Hayes could give us the player we need...a defensive big man, and a player experienced, high caracter guy, worth been a top or three big in our team.

Really hope Sac goes in another direction...and that we really are in the mix for his services.

I'd be o.k with our 6 big men being pf Hayes - Blair - Lawal
c Duncan - Splitter -Bonner

Proxy
12-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Everyone looked the same except for one out of shape player.... Blair.... again.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the write up. Well done as always.

I didn't see the game. However, I viewed the highlights and the interviews. One thing that struck me about Leonard is that, in addition to being very young - which is obvious - he also seems to be a very mild-mannered kid. From his interviews, he acknowledges that the team "has enough stars and leaders" and he's trying to "play defense and do whatever the coach wants him to do." Could it be this passiveness, that everyone speaks of, be the result of him deferring too much and not wanting to get in the way? Sometimes a perceived lack of aggressiveness could simply be a kid being too deferential by nature?

JA was a bit passive last year, but he's more aggressive in his second year. George Hill made the same leap from year 1 to year 2 also.

Obviously, I don't know this for sure, but wanted to get feedback from the masses.

Dex
12-22-2011, 01:20 PM
What does BNSF/GNSF mean!?!

Black Named Spurs Fan / Gray Named Spurs Fan :downspin:

Interrohater
12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I really have the feeling that Kawhi is kind of nervous. He's playing like he doesn't want to screw up. It seems like he's placing a lot of importance on making the right moves, so in effect, he's making the wrong ones. It's extremely difficult to play with energy and passion when you're concerned with where your feet should be placed. I think the more comfortable that he gets with the system and Pop has the obligatory "Just play your game" talk with him that he'll show us a lot. He seems like a guy who may be trying to live up to the billing of "highest draft pick since Tim Duncan" by not screwing it up. He'll be fine.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I really have the feeling that Kawhi is kind of nervous. He's playing like he doesn't want to screw up. It seems like he's placing a lot of importance on making the right moves, so in effect, he's making the wrong ones. It's extremely difficult to play with energy and passion when you're concerned with where your feet should be placed. I think the more comfortable that he gets with the system and Pop has the obligatory "Just play your game" talk with him that he'll show us a lot. He seems like a guy who may be trying to live up to the billing of "highest draft pick since Tim Duncan" by not screwing it up. He'll be fine.

I agree. That's kind of what I was getting at. Perhaps he's just thinking too much and playing so careful as to not want to screw up. Because of the lockout, it's going to take time for him to develop into a more confident player. I think he'll be fine in the long run, too.

Spurs7794
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I didn't watch this game but I've heard comments about Timmy playing well from the perimeter this game. In both 08-09 and 10-11, the first game of the season, Tim was hitting every perimeter jumpshot because he would take them quickly with no hesitation. Then as the season went on, he would become more and more unselfish and dish it off instead of just shooting it. I'm hoping he keeps shooting alot this year because when he starts passing them off, he tends to lose his confidence in the shot and hesitating on them.

jjktkk
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm not concerned about Leonard just yet. Alot of rookies start out playing, well, like rookies. Throw in the fact of the compressed training time, due to the lockout, as well as Leonard making the transition from a post player to a perimeter player, and you have a raw rook trying to find his way in a very short amount of time. Because of all the above mentioned factors, as well as Pop's reluctance to throw rookies out on the court, we might not get a true feeling of what Leanard can really do until he gets a full off season under his belt.

elemento
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM

0-3 FGM / 0-1 3P / 0-2 FTA/ +/- -19 and 5 fouls in 23 minutes.

Looks like a beast :lmao

spurs10
12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
The waiving of Lawal is surprising considering how much help we need. Either they have a plan to bring in someone or Hassell beat him out in training camp. Is there something about the Phantom I'm not getting? Zeller wasn't out there much to be fair, but I figured that was for a good reason.

urunobili
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Maybe Lawal got a guaranteed offer and the Spurs let him go?

AFBlue
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Post-game reax originally posted in the game blog...

Went to the game and saw everyone up close. My thoughts...

I have no concerns about the starting unit. Tim, Tony and Manu are all on the same page and are individually executing in regular season form. Even though I can't stand the way Jefferson moves on the court (apathetic w/ no fire), he picked his spots and hit his shots. Blair continues to get torched defensively (except for the steals), but he works well with the starting unit offensively.

Off the bench is where it gets shaky. Anderson probably showed the most of the regular reserves, but he just wasn't consistent on either end. Splitter was awful...I mean awful on offense. He was indecisive, and when he did commit it was weak. I thought this guy would be used to facing double teams and putting the team on his shoulders, but as it looks right now he's a defensive rotation piece and nothing more. Leonard showed next to nothing for 47:55 and then he finally grew a pair. I liked that last shot, but the others were flat and bad. He was far too passive and timid in every aspect of the game. Hopefully its just taking him soe time to find his place, but he doesn't look ready. Speaking of passive...TJ Ford is clearly still trying to figure things out. When he was actually decisive and took a shot, he looked good. It just didnt happen very often. Which is why he was outplayed by the guy who leads the next group...young guns that showed sone heart and game, but who probably won't be seen again barring injury.

Corey Joseph was assertive and decisive offensively, while being aggressive and solid defensively. You can tell he's got the leadership qualities and instincts to be a lead guard, and his defensive intensity was consistent. I'm excited about his potential down the road and hope he has fun picking up the system and growing in Austin. Another guy that I thought brought the intensity was Gani Lawal. I'm not sure what his offensive game consists of, but he battled for boards and seemed aggressive defensively. As far as undersized PFs go, Blair better watch his back.

The others...Green did what he does well (nail open Js) and what he doesn't (create for himself or others), Hassell showed intensity limited minutes and Zeller didn't stand out.

I saw mostly what I expected to see, but there were a few underwhelming players (Splitter, Leonard) and a bright spot or two (Joseph, big 3 ready).

GSH
12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I saw one thing at the game last night that hasn't been mentioned. Right before a break, the refs called a really crappy foul on Duncan. As all the coaches were walking onto the floor, Pop was screaming down the floor at the ref - really giving him hell. Then he turned and just shoved the shit out of Mike Budenholzer. Pushed him in the chest and knocked him backwards. I thought, "Oh, man... Pop has gone nuts."

Then he turned and yelled down the court at the zebra a little bit more. I realized that he was just demonstrating to the ref what had been done to Duncan on that play, and that the foul got called the wrong way. From his reaction, I'm not sure if Coach Bud knew what it was about for a second or two. Pretty intense for a pre-season game.

spurs10
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
^ Wow!

Manufan909
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Did Hassell look better than Lawal at any point? Iirc, the answer would be no.

AFBlue
12-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Did Hassell look better than Lawal at any point? Iirc, the answer would be no.

He didn't stand out good or bad, and he took time after a foul to receive instruction from Pop. Lawal had a nice block an good activity, but he did mess up a couple times. Still, I'm surprised Lawal was the one that got the axe.

GSH
12-23-2011, 12:36 AM
He didn't stand out good or bad, and he took time after a foul to receive instruction from Pop. Lawal had a nice block an good activity, but he did mess up a couple times. Still, I'm surprised Lawal was the one that got the axe.

He also went to Duncan and asked for some help. But for the most part he was just unnoticeable. During that fourth quarter stretch when the Rockets were closing the score gap, I thought he was pretty much absent in the middle. Maybe that's not fair, because that whole group was pretty raw.

He definitely looks bigger and stronger than Lawal. Maybe they just think they can do more with that, in the role that those guys would play.

AFBlue
12-23-2011, 12:44 AM
He definitely looks bigger and stronger than Lawal. Maybe they just think they can do more with that, in the role that those guys would play.

Funny, I thought Lawal looked more physically imposing. But neither were as jacked as Leonard...even though he is an inch or two shorter, I could definitely see him as a small ball PF.

GSH
12-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Funny, I thought Lawal looked more physically imposing. But neither were as jacked as Leonard...even though he is an inch or two shorter, I could definitely see him as a small ball PF.

He outweighs Lawal by 20 or 25 lbs., and to me it looked like it's all in his upper body. Lawal looked more athletic. I have no idea which one would stand out in the weight room. It's just perception on my part.

Whatever it is, the coaches obviously saw something different than most of the fans.

timvp
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I highly doubt that the Spurs are keeping Hassell or Zeller. Neither player is anything close to NBA level right now. As CD has stated, the timing of these waivings probably has to due with money and the Toros. Most likely scenario is the Spurs giving Hassell and Zeller a small bonus before sending them back to Austin.

It's actually smart if you think about it. While the D-League has a rather low max salary, by keeping these players on the roster for a few days, they can get a backdoor bonus that technically comes from the Spurs pockets and not the Toros pockets -- even though it's the same pocket.

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I highly doubt that the Spurs are keeping Hassell or Zeller. Neither player is anything close to NBA level right now. As CD has stated, the timing of these waivings probably has to due with money and the Toros. Most likely scenario is the Spurs giving Hassell and Zeller a small bonus before sending them back to Austin.

It's actually smart if you think about it. While the D-League has a rather low max salary, by keeping these players on the roster for a few days, they can get a backdoor bonus that technically comes from the Spurs pockets and not the Toros pockets -- even though it's the same pocket.

Just playing devil's advocate, I'm thinking about it, and I fail to see how it's smart if the players will never impact the Spurs in any way. Smart would have been to trade RJ's expiring contract before the deadline last year. Being penny wise and pound foolish just makes no sense.

anonoftheinternets
12-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Just playing devil's advocate, I'm thinking about it, and I fail to see how it's smart if the players will never impact the Spurs in any way. Smart would have been to trade RJ's expiring contract before the deadline last year. Being penny wise and pound foolish just makes no sense.

Being penny and pound foolish wouldn't help either ..

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Being penny and pound foolish wouldn't help either ..

This argument is so profoundly lame I can't even generate the enthusiasm required to squash it. We'll just give the Spurs a high five for managing to circumvent the D league salary cap. That Pop is a crafty one.