PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Trying to Sign Chuck Hayes

Man Mountain
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
ESPNChrisPalmer chris palmer
Hayes went through "exhaustive testing" at the Cleveland Clinic yesterday and was informed by doctors that he doesn't have a heart problem.

Agent Calvin Andrews tells Y! Sports Sac frontrunner to sign Chuck Hayes, but Hou, SA, Minny in mix too. Decision likely to come after Xmas.

DMC
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Frank_Leavitt_wrestler.jpg/250px-Frank_Leavitt_wrestler.jpg

Looks like Pop in the face a bit.

mexicanjunior
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
More use of the Spurs to up the price some other team pays...

timvp
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Hayes is a damn good defender. He's definitely worth $9 million over three years.

Too bad that likely won't be enough to sign him. The non-amnesty of RJ is the gift that keeps on giving . . .

elemento
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
SAC will get him, AGAIN

tmtcsc
12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
They should do whatever they can to get him. He's a fantastic defender. Lacks game at the offensive end but we have plenty of that.

scottspurs
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
This would be a great pickup for the Spurs. Hayes is one of the hardest workers in the league. Won't provide any offense, but his post defense is excellent. Will provide Duncan and Splitter plenty of Block opportunities. Playing him next to Duncan would be the perfect combination defensively. Blair could learn a lot from him too.

Bruno
12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Hayes is a damn good defender. He's definitely worth $9 million over three years.

Too bad that likely won't be enough to sign him. The non-amnesty of RJ is the gift that keeps on giving . . .

Well, you can blame too Spurs not salary dumping Dice...

SenorSpur
I concur. I only wish it were possible.

ElNono

:pop: "It's ok, we're not in a hurry to do anything"

benefactor
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Would be awesome.

Will not happen.

Fabbs
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
:pop: "It's ok, we're not in a hurry to do anything"
http://www.leconcombre.com/concpost/us/postcard4/alfred_e_neuman.jpg
Spurs head coach 2007 - to infinity and beyond.
ElNonos hero.

benefactor
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Hayes is the Bruce Bowen of post defense. His fundamentals and positioning are near flawless on that end. Not to mention his base is like a hundred year old oak tree.

Dex
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Not even about to get my hopes up.

TimmehC
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes, please. Undersized doesn't mean shit with this particular big man.

xtremesteven33
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I love the comparison that Hayes is the Bowen of Bigmen. His defensive fundamentals is something that would give the Spurs a huge help in the paint.

Please Hayes sign with the Spurs

Gino2882
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
I think he would be the ideal fit at this point for the Spurs. Popovich basically refuses to play Tiago Splitter with Tim Duncan, evidenced again in last night's preseason finale with the Rockets. We have gotten zero chance to see Duncan and Splitter work together, Pop seemingly likes Blair/Bonner with Duncan.

As for Chuck Hayes, he really has the reputation as a great post defender and has been effective versus much bigger players such as Bynum/Gasol and Amare Stoudemire.

Hayes was to sign a four year $21 million deal before the heart condition was revealed. I can't imagine a team offering the full MLE again, so maybe three years $9 million would work.

kobyz
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
i wish, he's a top ten favorite player of mine!

baseline bum
12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
What an upgrade he'd be over Blair.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Fuck SAC, I really hope they don't pick him up. I don't know if he'd like to play for a fringe contender, but it's gotta be better than playing for a lottery team.

lefty
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Wait

Doesnt he have health issues ?

:wtf

ace3g
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Free agent big man Chuck Hayes tells Y! Sports that while Kings will get strong consideration he is "back at square one" free agency wise.

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
"I have to see what teams are interested still. It’s back to the drawing board, block one, lets go on this merry-go-round," Hayes told Y!

and ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @MazzESPN: Brook Lopez will have foot surgery tomorrow morning #nets

so hopefully the Nets don't target Hayes after that news.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't know if Hayes would strongly consider the Spurs, but I have to believe there are other teams that can afford to offer him more than the mini-MLE, which is about all the Spurs have available.

Libri
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Wait

Doesnt he have health issues ?

:wtf

Now that other teams know, Spurs have very little chance to sign him.

monkeypunk
12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm not even wasting time dreaming.

BillionNets are totally going to scoop him up.

SA210
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I love the comparison that Hayes is the Bowen of Bigmen. His defensive fundamentals is something that would give the Spurs a huge help in the paint.

Please Hayes sign with the Spurs

JonNOKC
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
does Dalembert signing take HOU out of mix or they still be able to offer more than Spurs

Bill_Brasky
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
B6f5Uyu6Dv4

12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
interesting option though i doubt hayes will take less money to sit behind bonner in the rotation.

JR3
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I guess I don't care as much how tall he is if he can defend!

spurs10
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
interesting option though i doubt hayes will take less money to sit behind bonner in the rotation.
:(

Dex
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM

If Hayes came here, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup. If anything, Blair would probably be the one finding himself in the doghouse.

z0sa
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Picking up Hayes would significantly improve my outlook concerning our defensive potential this season. Between he, Timmy, Splitter, and Blair we might could have a halfway decent defensive frontcourt. Lacking in size but maybe, just maybe they could make up for it in heart and hustle.

elemento
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I have no doubt Hayes would start here. We don't need his offense. We need his defense, badly.

NASpurs
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
If Hayes did decide to play here, maybe he could show DeJuan how to use his big body and play defense like he does.

mexicanjunior
12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
If Hayes did decide to play here, maybe he could show DeJuan how to use his big body and play defense like he does.

Yeah, that would be one of the biggest reasons he would help...by showing Blair how to play a big man game in a little frame. I think he would be an upgrade over Mcdyess from last year also.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Yeah, that would be one of the biggest reasons he would help...by showing Blair how to play a big man game in a little frame. I think he would be an upgrade over Mcdyess from last year also.If Hayes is signed, there's no reason to have Blair at all.

mystargtr34
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Frank_Leavitt_wrestler.jpg/250px-Frank_Leavitt_wrestler.jpg

Actually quite a lot :lol

Trill Clinton
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
do.not.want. he's a medical liability.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
do.not.want. he's a medical liability.in what way?

stephen jackson
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
yeah, not gonna happen

manufan10
12-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Actually quite a lot :lol

The only difference is this guy has hair. :lol

Trill Clinton
12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
he's a liability because he failed a physical which voided his 4 year 21mil contract and had to take a battery of heart tests before he could be cleared. something isn't right with him. no point in taking a risk on a player with ANY kind of health problems, especially the heart.

If he agrees to a 1 year contract for the league minimum I'd consider it.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
he's a liability because he failed a physical which voided his 4 year 21mil contract and had to take a battery of heart tests before he could be cleared. something isn't right with him. no point in taking a risk on a player with ANY kind of health problems, especially the heart.

If he agrees to a 1 year contract for the league minimum I'd consider it.I'd spend all the money currently available to the Spurs.

The reward would be much greater than the risk -- which seems to be rather dubious at this point.

Seventyniner
12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Would be awesome.

Will not happen.

Trill Clinton
12-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I'd spend all the money currently available to the Spurs.

The reward would be much greater than the risk -- which seems to be rather dubious at this point.

exactly, at this point. who knows what may happen down the line. don't get me wrong he's a good player. I just prefer to err on the side of caution in situations like this.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
exactly, at this point. who knows what may happen down the line. don't get me wrong he's a good player. I just prefer to err on the side of caution in situations like this.The maximum amount of money the spurs can spend is small enough that it's worth the risk.

Trill Clinton
12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
The maximum amount of money the spurs can spend is small enough that it's worth the risk.

what is the amount? and do you think he will agree to that amount?

rayray2k8
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
If the spurs are interested, they're not getting him...

remingtonbo2001
12-22-2011, 04:58 PM
What about a sign and trade?

Buddy Holly
12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
what is the amount? and do you think he will agree to that amount?

3 million.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Call me pessimistic, but everyone else has turned down the Spurs advances. It wouldn't surprise me if Hayes did too. No matter how it goes, the FO certainly needs to make the overture.

mystargtr34
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Hopefully the Spurs can pick up Hayes.. you would say the offer would be 3 years $9M so whether he signs probably depends on if or how much the Kings decide to offer him the second time around. Hes a guy who hasnt made alot of $ in his career so i would expect him to chase the $ first, which is fair enough. I dont see the Rockets being in the picture with Dalembert, Scola, Patterson, Hill, Thabeet and even Morris who i see as a 4.

I guess another positive is if the Kings do sign Hayes, that may make Landry or Thompson available. They already have these two plus Cousins, Hickson, Whiteside. I think they may be a little higher on these three than the first two, i wouldnt want Landry.. had enough of 6'6' bigmen who dont play defense.. but Thompson still has some upside. Maybe Blair + a pick.

mingus
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
he would be a huge difference-maker for us. we would've beaten Memphis with Chuck Hayes on our roster. with him, the Spurs would be a part of the championship discussion. probably on the fringes of it, but a part of it nonetheless.

without another defensvely capable big, Spurs are going to go into virtually every game with their legs spread waiting to be penetrated when the second unit comes in and first round fodder like last year.

angelbelow
12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Undersized, unathletic power forward?...

I'm IN, his defense is SUPERB. His positioning is awesome thanks to his timing and his strength and his rebounding is actually a bit underrated. He has 0 offensive which includes the NBAs ugliest freethrow shooting form. If he'll come for cheap.. we'd be stupid not to take him.

TD 21
12-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Hopefully the Spurs can pick up Hayes.. you would say the offer would be 3 years $9M so whether he signs probably depends on if or how much the Kings decide to offer him the second time around. Hes a guy who hasnt made alot of $ in his career so i would expect him to chase the $ first, which is fair enough. I dont see the Rockets being in the picture with Dalembert, Scola, Patterson, Hill, Thabeet and even Morris who i see as a 4.

I guess another positive is if the Kings do sign Hayes, that may make Landry or Thompson available. They already have these two plus Cousins, Hickson, Whiteside. I think they may be a little higher on these three than the first two, i wouldnt want Landry.. had enough of 6'6' bigmen who dont play defense.. but Thompson still has some upside. Maybe Blair + a pick.

Landry is on the Hornets. And as far as Thompson, I don't see why they'd trade him. Even if they signed Hayes again and added him to Cousins, Hickson and Outlaw, only Cousins is over 6-9 and Outlaw is a combo forward.

The only way the Spurs could make it work financially would be to offer Blair and Anderson (out of players they'd realistically even consider, obviously), which is too much. The Kings would probably be willing to throw in their 2nd, but that's still not enough. And neither Blair nor Anderson would make a great deal of sense for them. I don't see a fit.

Dex
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
@mr_jasonjones Jason Jones
Sounds like Kings players have been told Hayes will be joining the team again.

Everything I've heard since this morning pointed to Chuck Hayes returning to Kings and comments after practice say same thing.

Jason Jones

Anonymous Cowherd
12-22-2011, 05:54 PM
yup.

saw that one coming.

z0sa
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Dude wants his $$.

spurs10
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Can they offer him a 1 year LLE (3m) with more money in the second year when Tim's 20 million come off the books? I'm wondering if they can match the Kings offer over the next 3/4 years. I think getting Hayes would be really great, we sure need him.

Dex
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
RT @KSherrets_Kings: Looks like Chuck Hayes is coming to SAC tomorrow according to Kings coach Paul Westphal

spurs10
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
^ never mind....

angelbelow
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Well shucks.. that was fun (and filled with uncomfortable anxiety) while it lasted..

timtonymanu
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Just another chapter in the Spurs shitty offseason.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
fuck
this
shit

mystargtr34
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Landry is on the Hornets. And as far as Thompson, I don't see why they'd trade him. Even if they signed Hayes again and added him to Cousins, Hickson and Outlaw, only Cousins is over 6-9 and Outlaw is a combo forward.

The only way the Spurs could make it work financially would be to offer Blair and Anderson (out of players they'd realistically even consider, obviously), which is too much. The Kings would probably be willing to throw in their 2nd, but that's still not enough. And neither Blair nor Anderson would make a great deal of sense for them. I don't see a fit.

:lol ur right.. shows how irrelevant the hornets have become.. or that I need to get my act together.

Your right about Anderson not being a perfect fit.. or Blair for that matter.. Which is why you would need to offer the draft pick .. would the Kings take a first rounder for their back up power forward? I would say they think about it.. he didn't really get a lot of burn last season.. so I don't think they are really really high on him.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh shit. Yet another big the Spurs had zero chance of getting who all the ignorant fans are going to freak out because the FO didn't get them.

TD 21
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
:lol ur right.. shows how irrelevant the hornets have become.. or that I need to get my act together.

Your right about Anderson not being a perfect fit.. or Blair for that matter.. Which is why you would need to offer the draft pick .. would the Kings take a first rounder for their back up power forward? I would say they think about it.. he didn't really get a lot of burn last season.. so I don't think they are really really high on him.

The reason I didn't say Blair, Green and a 1st is because I'm fairly certain it wouldn't work financially. Otherwise, that would be the logical package to offer (although, the Spurs would probably request a 2nd in return). But just as Blair doesn't make a lot of sense for the Kings, neither does a 20 something pick.

Even if the Kings would do this, I'm not even sure the Spurs would. Thompson is like a poor man's Aldridge. But he's not very athletic and he's never been known as much of a defender. Since the Spurs don't prioritize/value size anyway, they may prefer Blair's vastly superior rebounding and energy. And that's not even taking into consideration the 1st.

smrattler
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
We need to start a permanent thread for:

"Free Agents who say they are 'considering' Spurs but are just trying to drive up their own price, while at the same time allowing the Spurs to make their fans think that they are being 'active' in free agency so they don't suspect that they are actually looking to improve from within, and eventually try to convince their fans that since player X was just a rookie last year and sat around doing jack shit, he now has a year under his belt, knows the system and is basically the equivalent of a big free agent signing."

PublicOption
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM

:pop: "that's granps, he liked the vino too!"

ace3g
12-22-2011, 08:31 PM
sam_amick Sam Amick
Regarding Kings voiding Hayes' contract, they had window of 6 days to void deal & couldn't risk being on hook for $21 mil if 2nd opinion bad

sam_amick Sam Amick
They played this perfectly, alerting Hayes to problem (he does have enlarged heart) & advising him to have more tests done b4 reconvening.

Giuseppe
12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Have you fellows felt enough pain yet?

tee, hee.

Calispursfan11
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Hayes is a midget aside from his a$$

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Just another chapter in the Spurs shitty offseason.

This shittiest in some time.

xellos88330
12-22-2011, 10:26 PM

tee, hee.

How is Kobe's wrist?

Buddy Holly
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
We need to start a permanent thread for:

"Free Agents who say they are 'considering' Spurs but are just trying to drive up their own price, while at the same time allowing the Spurs to make their fans think that they are being 'active' in free agency so they don't suspect that they are actually looking to improve from within, and eventually try to convince their fans that since player X was just a rookie last year and sat around doing jack shit, he now has a year under his belt, knows the system and is basically the equivalent of a big free agent signing."

Chuck Hayes never claimed to be considering anyone other than the Kings. It was media reports stating teams were interested in him, including the Spurs.

TheProfessor
12-22-2011, 10:39 PM

tee, hee.
If anyone felt pain over this, they did it to themselves unnecessarily. Pretty clear Hayes would get his money when and if he got a clean bill of health.

Steve-O-Matic
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Re-signing with SAC for four years, $22 million.

Giuseppe
12-23-2011, 12:30 AM
How is Kobe's wrist?

Got ya!!!