PDA

View Full Version : America's Team

pawe
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/dallas-cowboys-replaced-americas-team

Cowboys are out, Packers are in.

Americans love a winner and that's not the Dallas Cowboys these days. The team from deep in the Republic of Texas has been replaced as the nation's most popular team.

Aaron Rodgers' Super Bowl-winning Green Bay Packers were picked by 22 percent of voters as their favorite team in the NFL, according to Public Policy Polling's newest national survey. The Cowboys finished second, with 11 percent of the vote, followed by the Bears, Giants and Steelers.

NFL Films famously gave the Cowboys the title of "America's Team" in a 1978 highlight film. The program opened up with this intro: "They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team."

A generation later, Dallas was actually picked as America's least favorite NFL team. The Cowboys got 22 percent of the negative vote, beating out the Chicago Bears' 8 percent and Green Bay's 7 percent for the title.

This was a bi-partisan pigskin vote: Republicans (60 percent), Democrats (44 percent) and independents (44 percent) all picked the Packers over the Cowboys.

pawe
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Bandwagoning Americans. smh

The Cardinals will get the last wild card spot and get to the 2nd rd and kick the shit out of Rogers just like what he got in 2009...and then I woke up.

Bill_Brasky
12-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Sweet, now all the faggot bandwagoners are out of our fanbase. Get ready for faggy annoying Packerfans.

Spursfan092120
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
They do this every year, and pretty much every year it's the team that won the Super Bowl the year before.

JoeTait75
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Judging by attendance at road games I'd say the Steelers are America's Team.

BUMP
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Still have no idea why the Cowboys have so many bandwagon fans.

If you wanna bandwagon recent success, Packers/Patriots/Ravens/Steelers/Eagles/Saints/Jets are all far better choices. If you wanna bandwagon for total Super Bowls, go with Pittsburgh. All Dallas has done is build a really cool stadium and win a lot of superbowls forever ago

badfish22
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
They do this every year, and pretty much every year it's the team that won the Super Bowl the year before.

Goods. Every year its a new "Are the _____ really Americas team instead of the Cowboys!?". Saints, Pats, Packers....

DAF86
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Did any of you have ever been inquired in some of this polls?

LnGrrrR
12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
The only "Americas team" was probably the 2001 Yankees.

DeadlyDynasty
12-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Did any of you have ever been inquired in some of this polls?

Dude...proof-read before you post.

DAF86
12-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Something didn't feel right when I wrote that but I was too lazy to check and correct it. I hope that at least people can guess what I was trying to ask.

pawe
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
There is no America's team, period!

If the packers rack up 3 straight superbowls, people are gonna grow tired of their mugs and will hate them like they do with the Lakers.

monosylab1k
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe if they quit polling black dudes, the outcomes wouldn't look so bad.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Sorry but most of the be@ners I see in AZ are still bandwagon Cowboys fans

Harry Callahan
12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
TV ratings on the Cowboys games indicate greater interest in them than any other team even now. That is the only reason to explain their many Prime time appearances during the current playoff drought (2 wins in 15 years).

I (as a non-bandwagon fan) recognize this team still generates a lot of love AND a lot of hate. After Jerry Jones leaves the scene (can't get here soon enough) and the Cowboys are well run again, the bandwagon will get really really crowded again.

As for the Packers, where were they from let's say 1969 - 1992? They sucked and generated little interest. Dallas built their still enormous fan base in those years.

Green Bay is the current Darling of the NFL. Big Deal.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Always surprised how a team and a fanbase gets blamed because NFL films decided to name a show about the Cowboys "America's Team". The douchebag bandwaggoners liked the Cowboys when they had 20 winning seasons in a row and made the playoffs every year, and now the douchebag bandwaggoners have moved on. They were all Saints fans two years ago.

Spursfan092120
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Always surprised how a team and a fanbase gets blamed because NFL films decided to name a show about the Cowboys "America's Team". The douchebag bandwaggoners liked the Cowboys when they had 20 winning seasons in a row and made the playoffs every year, and now the douchebag bandwaggoners have moved on. They were all Saints fans two years ago.

This...our fanbase and team get so much hate over the moniker and Landry and the Cowboys didn't even like it.

Harry Callahan
12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
This...our fanbase and team get so much hate over the moniker and Landry and the Cowboys didn't even like it.

The driving force behind so much of the Cowboys popularity was Tex Schramm. He was a marketing genius and he loved the NFL Films title to their 1978 season film.

It's correct that Landry was not a fan of the NFL Films title - it was a target on the back of the team. He also did not like the Cheerleaders with their skimpy uniforms - he was a conservative guy.

Tex Schramm was a visionary when it came to these sorts of things that lead to greater visibility for the Cowboys. The Cowboys volunteered to play on Thanksgiving in the late 60s when the other teams (outside of the Lions) did not want to play that day.

Spurtacus
12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
lol bandwagoners

DeadlyDynasty
12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Judging by attendance at road games I'd say the Steelers are America's Team.

This. Those m'fers travel (or bandwagon) like nobody else.

rascal
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM

I hated when they always showed Dallas every week even when there were better games I would rather watch.
They shoved The Cowboys down our throats, many accepted that and they became their favorite team just by the fact that they were always on TV.

Mav-elous Man
12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Americans are frontrunners.

Spursfan092120
12-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I hated when they always showed Dallas every week even when there were better games I would rather watch.
They shoved The Cowboys down our throats, many accepted that and they became their favorite team just by the fact that they were always on TV.

I agree they shoved them down the throats of everyone, and it turned a lot of people off. That's why I'll never call someone a "hater" of the Cowboys because of our rings. I'm a fan because I was raised watching them, and loved it.

JoeTait75
12-24-2011, 12:28 AM

There's a reason CBS was sometimes known as the "Cowboys Broadcasting System" back in the day. Pat Summerall spent as much time in Texas Stadium as Tom Landry himself.

BUMP
12-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Even today the Cowboys far too often get "America's Game of the Week" when they'll be playing some team like Arizona while the Lions/9ers get brushed to the side

JoeTait75
12-24-2011, 01:18 AM
The driving force behind so much of the Cowboys popularity was Tex Schramm. He was a marketing genius and he loved the NFL Films title to their 1978 season film.

IIRC Schramm was the main driver in Dallas being kept in the Eastern Division after the merger. Which was kind of a brilliant move b/c it kept the Cowboys front and center in the league's biggest media markets.

Obstructed_View
12-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Even today the Cowboys far too often get "America's Game of the Week" when they'll be playing some team like Arizona while the Lions/9ers get brushed to the side

Except that they don't. Green Bay vs the Giants was the game when the Cowboys played Arizona. What the Cowboys do get is a lot of Sunday night/Monday night/Thursday/Saturday games, but I'm pretty sure the networks choose those.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

Spursfan092120
12-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Except that they don't. Green Bay vs the Giants was the game when the Cowboys played Arizona. What the Cowboys do get is a lot of Sunday night/Monday night/Thursday/Saturday games, but I'm pretty sure the networks choose those.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

Yeah..though it isn't always like that...a couple of years ago we got no Monday Night games and like 1 or 2 Sunday night games.

Obstructed_View
12-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah..though it isn't always like that...a couple of years ago we got no Monday Night games and like 1 or 2 Sunday night games.

Oh yeah, when they stunk they didn't get that many. The networks are probably more aware than anyone that the people that give the Cowboys great ratings when they're good are the first ones to stop watching when things go wrong.

LakerHater
12-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Dallas is Mexican-America's team!

lefty
12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
There is no America's team, period!

If the packers rack up 3 straight superbowls, people are gonna grow tired of their mugs and will hate them like they do with the Lakers.

The goods