PDA

View Full Version : Spurs waive Gani Lawal...

bklynspursfan
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
drew_48moh Andrew A. McNeill
#Spurs just announced they waived Gani Lawal. Well, there he goes. #GoSpursGo

did Not see that coming

elemento
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
We all knew it when he played so many minutes last night.

bklynspursfan
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
We all knew it when he played so many minutes last night.

True... Maybe as soon as he blocked that shot Pop made his decision

baseline bum
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Kind of sad to see that, as you could tell he badly wanted to make the roster when he kept going after turning his ankle last night.

DisAsTerBot
12-22-2011, 03:03 PM
damn, who is gonna be the 5th big????

baseline bum
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
damn, who is gonna be the 5th big????

Just means twice as many minutes for Bonner tbh.

elemento
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't worry guys.

Bonner will play 20+ minutes and we go to the season with only 4 bigs . :lol

InTheCrust
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Just means twice as many minutes for Bonner tbh.

60 minutes for Bonner? I would say it's impossible, but Pop will make it happen.

:pop: - "He spreads the floor"

Amuseddaysleeper
12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
This just means that the Spurs are going to sign Chuck Hayes :stirpot:

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Expected. He doesn't spread the floor like the mask guy

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Is Tank still on the team?

Dex
12-22-2011, 03:15 PM
In the words of the great Tim Duncan, this front office is bordering on retarded.

You've got a young, athletic big who shows great energy and desire (not to mention some decent promise), and you send him packing while you leave fucking Phantom of the Opera on the team so that he can shoot his way into oblivion and continue to prove he is an even shittier version of Matt Bonner. Cut Zeller, and you're down to 15 and have a couple decent bigs to develop or evaluate....but no, Pop has to have an insurance policy in case the Great Ginger breaks his hand again.

:pctoss

baseline bum
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
60 minutes for Bonner? I would say it's impossible, but Pop will make it happen.

:pop: - "He spreads the floor"

I was thinking more like Don Nelson Finley minutes... about 40.

loveforthegame
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Bummer but not surprising. I thought he had more promise than the other guys in camp so it was obvious he had to go.

DisAsTerBot
12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
im hoping this is because they are targeting someone they like better. But with the way free agency went im not getting my hopes up

spurs10
12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Lawal? Really? I thought for sure Zeller and perhaps Green and Hassell....wtf? Sounds like a decision made before last night's game.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
In the words of the great Tim Duncan, this front office is bordering on retarded.

You've got a young, athletic big who shows great energy and desire (not to mention some decent promise), and you send him packing while you leave fucking Phantom of the Opera on the team so that he can shoot his way into oblivion and continue to prove he is an even shittier version of Matt Bonner. Cut Zeller, and you're down to 15 and have a couple decent bigs to develop or evaluate....but no, Pop has to have an insurance policy in case the Great Ginger breaks his hand again.

:pctossZeller's probably just being kept on to give him some money to stay in Austin once he's waived.

And Tank is still there right?

ElNono
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
lmao... I called it in last night's blog... good luck to him

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
lawl

elemento
12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
None of those scrub names are going to stay, maybe Green.

Dex
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Zeller's probably just being kept on to give him some money to stay in Austin once he's waived.

And Tank is still there right?

Yeah, Hassell is still on the roster (for the time being).

Bruno
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I doubted Lawal was some kind of answer but I do hope Spurs have something else in their sleeve than Frank Hassell to help the frontcourt.

Last year, Spurs bigmen got destroyed the whole year and especially against Memphis. They are even weaker this year with Dice gone and Spurs are on the verge of doing nothing? That's a fucking nightmare.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I doubted Lawal was some kind of answer but I do hope Spurs have something else in their sleeve than Frank Hassell to help the frontcourt.

Last year, Spurs bigmen got destroyed the whole year and especially against Memphis. They are even weaker this year with Dice gone and Spurs are on the verge of doing nothing? That's a fucking nightmare.Hayes would be the only signing that would make a difference now. Otherwise, it's awhile until the trade deadline.

Dex
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Last year, Spurs bigmen got destroyed the whole year and especially against Memphis. They are even weaker this year with Dice gone and Spurs are on the verge of doing nothing? That's a fucking nightmare.

Yeah, that's whats driving me nuts.

The odds of either Hassell or Lawal being the answer were definitely slim, but at least there was a chance that one or the other could provide SOMETHING. Now they've just cut those chances in half....as if we don't have a big, gaping hole in the center with no answer in sight.

It's one thing that we've got this huge problem looming over the season. It's another thing altogether how the front office just non-nonchalantly seems to be doing absolutely nothing about it.

jermaine
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=DisAsTerBot;5526242]damn, who is gonna be the 5th big??? 5th!?! where the fuck is 2, 3, & 4? I know your not referring to those midgets we already have!?!

tdunk21
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
was he that bad in yesterday's game? I thought he will make it to the roster.....

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
lmao... I called it in last night's blog... good luck to him

You sure did...that's was the first thing I thought of...other than BUMMER!

Anonymous Cowherd
12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
What's that old motto again?

"a bird somewhere out there in the bush is far better than a bird in your hand, so you may as well release that bird you have"

something like that

underdawg
12-22-2011, 04:08 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN (http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) Jeff McDonald
Spurs waived Gani Lawal before E-N could write a heartwarming story on his return from knee injury. Bah humbug.
__________________________________________________ _______________

he looked like he was a bit hurt at times last night (I thought it was his ankle) - maybe he reaggravated his knee injury?

I liked the length he showed in blocking Scola's shot - that is an aspect definitely missing from our front court (other than TD at times.)

I saw someone post something about taking charges being better for defense than blocks - I just wonder how much better a defender D. Howard would be if he took charges instead of "just blocking"" shots? Probably not good on the knees - no?

NASpurs
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Trill Clinton
dude sucked anyway. good luck to him, though.

SenorSpur
It's a damn shame for this kid, who was seemingly working hard, had a knack for shotblocking and rebounding and displayed some heart and desire. Even if Pop and RC didn't think much of Lawal's chances for this year, he certainly could've been a nice developmental PF for the future. Why not at least invest some Toros Time in him.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what they're thinking.

Dex
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsa.

James White!

jermaine
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
He played yo high above the rim an can block shots. Pop doesn't like that type of player.

spurs10
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I was thinking they'd keep Lawal in the 12 or 13 spot at the very least. Do they need to trim down to 13 now and 12 after Feb.6. I know it's a bit different this condensed season.

underdawg
12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsa.

you'll be begging for Pops after several weeks of the fabulous frontline of Bonner & Blair being scored on by NBA players more than Madonna ever dreamed.

stephen jackson
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
hes better than bonner, and thats sad :(

Ocotillo
12-22-2011, 04:59 PM
After that block, he really needed to get over himself.

angelbelow
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Hmm.. interesting, why him over Whitemask? He looked better than Hassel as well so this is a head scratcher. Maybe Lawal has an offer somewhere else..

TD 21
12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Lawal has the physical tools they need in a power forward, but his lack of a mid range jumper did him in.

They need to stop using the predictable excuses as a crutch and get creative. I'll preface this by saying: I like Anderson and don't want to trade him. But having a competent starting power forward is far more important than having five rotation caliber wings. Anderson is a nice prospect, but it's much easier to find an Anderson in the draft than it is a Splitter or Leonard.

So if Anderson has to be packaged with Blair or Blair and the 1st to get a quality starting power forward, so be it. Because if you add that player to what would be left over, they'd still be two deep at every position with rotation players. It wouldn't decimate the depth so much as it would clear out the logjam on the wings and balance the roster. I'd be fine with Green as the fifth wing, but if they want a better scorer, then they can attempt to sign Redd or, if he's recovered from his knee injury, Azuibuike.

timtonymanu
12-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Lol Pop

What exactly do we need Zeller for?

TimmehC
12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Lol Pop

What exactly do we need Zeller for?

:pop: He spreads the floor.

Drewlius
12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, extremely unhappy to see this news, that block the other night got me juiced about this kid, he also looked good on the boards. If you rebound or block shots & Pop sees it, you are as good as done.

superbigtime
12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Was at the game last night w a buddy and we both commented to each other what a good find this guy Lawal is. He moved really well, hustled, played good D, and had good size. Young stud w size and physicality who costs next to nothing, and he gets waived. WTF is this FO doing?????

Duncan2177
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
:pop::pctoss

Fireball
12-22-2011, 07:17 PM
speechless

timvp
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
:lol Not a huge loss or anything but the bigman situation is getting pretty comical at this point. Hopefully there is some method to entering the most taxing season ever with the thinnest bigman rotation ever.

Josepatches_
12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Surely he's not a great player but he's better than Bonner.
If he can play like yesterday every night I'd say he's better than Blair too

ElNono
12-22-2011, 07:45 PM
:lol Not a huge loss or anything but the bigman situation is getting pretty comical at this point. Hopefully there is some method to entering the most taxing season ever with the thinnest bigman rotation ever.

:lol I just don't even understand why you waive him but still hold on to Zeller?
Is there a method to the madness?

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Lawal has the physical tools they need in a power forward, but his lack of a mid range jumper did him in.

They need to stop using the predictable excuses as a crutch and get creative. I'll preface this by saying: I like Anderson and don't want to trade him. But having a competent starting power forward is far more important than having five rotation caliber wings. Anderson is a nice prospect, but it's much easier to find an Anderson in the draft than it is a Splitter or Leonard.

So if Anderson has to be packaged with Blair or Blair and the 1st to get a quality starting power forward, so be it. Because if you add that player to what would be left over, they'd still be two deep at every position with rotation players. It wouldn't decimate the depth so much as it would clear out the logjam on the wings and balance the roster. I'd be fine with Green as the fifth wing, but if they want a better scorer, then they can attempt to sign Redd or, if he's recovered from his knee injury, Azuibuike.

While I agree that the PF/C dilemma is of huge concern, and the FO deserves harsh criticism for this, the Spurs cannot afford to be so negligent that they cut off part of their future nose, to spite their present face.

With an eminent rebuild effort on the Spurs horizon, you don't part with valuable assets like Anderson or a 1st round pick. That would be negligent on the part of the front office.

Now Blair and RJ would certainly be tradeable assets that this roster wouldn't miss. Blair because it's his position you're trying to replace and RJ because he's a diminishing player with the killer contract.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Zeller's probably just being kept on to give him some money to stay in Austin once he's waived.

Spurs out-clevering themselves once again. Was it you that pointed out that the Toros have done less than nothing for the Spurs since they've been around?

TD 21
12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
While I agree that the PF/C dilemma is of huge concern, and the FO deserves harsh criticism for this, the Spurs cannot afford to be so negligent that they cut off part of their future nose, to spite their present face.

With an eminent rebuild effort on the Spurs horizon, you don't part with valuable assets like Anderson or a 1st round pick. That would be negligent on the part of the front office.

Now Blair and RJ would certainly be tradeable assets that this roster wouldn't miss. Blair because it's his position you're trying to replace and RJ because he's a diminishing player with the killer contract.

Not if you get a young, quality power forward in return. That's more of a pressing need/valuable commodity than Anderson, not just now, but going forward. I'd like to keep him and would prefer to go the Blair, Green and a 1st route to upgrade at power forward. But depending on the quality of the player coming back, Anderson shouldn't be off limits.

spurs10
12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
No kidding. I'm going to a couple of games in the first week and I'm really hoping to be surprised, as in a "now I get it" moment. Because this is getting very bizarre.
:downspin:

MI21
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
:lol I just don't even understand why you waive him but still hold on to Zeller?
Is there a method to the madness?

I agree, it's madness. Pop probably has a plan to bring in an experienced big to play PF anyway.

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/20100301/ffd461_finley_03022010.jpg
"Hey guys, need some minutes at the 4?"

++SaiNt TiAg0++
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
senorspur

is correct no one dare question the man and make him think about the obvious or remind him that the fans think he's drunk and i also think pop is so far disconnected from the fans these days its unbelievable!! i would say " if he doesnt pull off a great move soon, hes officially full blown retard " but this happened all last year with tiago's minutes.. im sure you guys remember i was letting it get to me...but i mean i think its everyone making pops insanity bed so comfortable he has no idea he's sleeping in crazy & reached incredible heights in his state of stubbornness..or flat out refusal to do the obvious.

im not that upset im just shocked at how long this streak of bush league decisions have gone. when will it end ?? when do we actually get tired of this ? will they ever.. do we really have to let him do whatever he wants b/c of our rings?

++SaiNt TiAg0++
12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
i just agreed w/ senorspur he didn't say any of the things i talked about.. i just realized i kinda threw you in there lol sorry

lefty
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Pop is overrated as shit

Shittiest championship coach EVER

Oh yeah fuck RC too

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
i just agreed w/ senorspur he didn't say any of the things i talked about.. i just realized i kinda threw you in there lol sorry

I appreciate the support and the disclaimer. :lol

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Spurs out-clevering themselves once again. Was it you that pointed out that the Toros have done less than nothing for the Spurs since they've been around?Nope, but it's mostly true. Not the part about out-clevering themselves in this case.

I am amazed at how good Lawal got after he was waived though.

Calispursfan11
12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
hmm maybe they have someone lined up (hayes)

Hayes is 6-4, slightly taller than Cory Joseph. You call that BIG?

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
As for Zeller, I don't think they were in a hurry to put him on a plane by himself to Fort Wayne tonight. It's conceivable he might not even stick on the Toros when Leo Lyons comes back.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Not if you get a young, quality power forward in return. That's more of a pressing need/valuable commodity than Anderson, not just now, but going forward. I'd like to keep him and would prefer to go the Blair, Green and a 1st route to upgrade at power forward. But depending on the quality of the player coming back, Anderson shouldn't be off limits.

I believe Anderson should be offlimits. He's too valuable to the Spurs present and future. His talent and potential haven't even been tapped yet because he's only appeared in 26 games. Besides that, he'll be the likely heir apparent to Manu when he hangs it up after next season. By then, Anderson should be coming into his own. Trading him away would only create yet another hole at the SG position that you'd only have to refill again later. You cannot rebuild by trading away valuable assets.

I desire a young PF/C as much as any fan on this board. However for my money, it doesn't really matter who it is. If I'm the Spurs, unless I can get a deal done with the combination of RJ+Blair, either now or by trade deadline, it doesn't get done. They'll have to wait until the draft.

Besides, since it's obvious they didn't get the message that Memphis sent them last April, watching them getting their asses handed to them again in this year's playoffs, by any veritable assortment of young, mobile PFs, would be a justifiable consequence for their inaction.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Dex
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I am amazed at how good Lawal got after he was waived though.

I don't think anyone believed he was going to be a savior or anything, but at least he was an option. Getting rid of bigs, when the team is already at a glaring shortage of them as it is, just doesn't make sense.

It's like if you were being attacked by zombies, and all you had to defend yourself was a spatula. As shitty as it may be, you'd still rather have that spatula to try to use, instead of just chucking it out the window and letting the zombies eat your brains.

It is exactly like that. :blah

ChumpDumper
12-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't think anyone believed he was going to be a savior or anything, but at least he was an option. Getting rid of bigs, when the team is already at a glaring shortage of them as it is, just doesn't make sense.

It's like if you were being attacked by zombies, and all you had to defend yourself was a spatula. As shitty as it may be, you'd still rather have that spatula to try to use, instead of just chucking it out the window and letting the zombies eat your brains.

It is exactly like that. :blahIn that case there are like a dozen spatulas lying around.

SenorSpur
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM

It is exactly like that. :blah

You must've recently watched "Night of the Living Dead". :lol

I get your analogy, though.

GSH
12-23-2011, 02:01 AM
When you get down to it, none of these guys are any better than guys like Anthony Tolliver or Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who the Spurs jettisoned.

Corey Joseph looks good, considering we didn't have high expectations. But does he look any better than guys like Garrett Temple or Darius Washington, when they arrived here? Probably not.

BTW - remember Marcus Williams? He's playing in China, and shooting 65% from 2PT, and 91% from 3PT, on a decent number of attempts. I know it's not the NBA, but the hoop isn't any bigger.

G-Dawgg
12-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Gani Lol

therealtruth
12-23-2011, 02:55 AM
He should have taken a couple of 3's to show he can spread the floor. It's not just the block I liked it's the fact that defensive hustle can energize a team. Who else on the team is going to make a defensive play that can energize the defense? Those types of plays we could rely on from Manu and TD are getting less and less.

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
When you get down to it, none of these guys are any better than guys like Anthony Tolliver or Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who the Spurs jettisoned.

It's possible the Spurs are as thin or thinner than they were when they let both of those guys go. People laugh about Pops Mensah Bonsu, but at the time he provided more to the front line than the guys Pop was throwing out there. He'd be an upgrade, because half of the problem back then is likely to be the problem now.

therealtruth
12-23-2011, 07:02 AM
I think it comes down to whether Pop wants to go back to his defensive roots. He's going to need some real big men that can get after it on the defensive end.

SenorSpur
12-23-2011, 09:27 AM
I think it comes down to whether Pop wants to go back to his defensive roots. He's going to need some real big men that can get after it on the defensive end.

Pop talks a good game, about his intent on getting back to a defensive identity, but moves like this makes one question his commitment. Lawal was, by no means, a world beater, but he certainly demonstrated he had the goods necessary to bring some physical intensity, rebounding and shotblocking to a team needs more of the same.

He could've at least been a stop gap until they got someone better.

dbestpro
12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Pop trying to make sure KMart has a spot come March.

The Truth #6
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think anyone knows what Pop's motivations are. I assumed that Pop makes personnel decisions based on their personality and how they fit into the team culture, but again, who really knows.

temujin
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I wonder whether the FO realizes that a 3 weeks injury to anyone of the bigs will have this team fighting really hard to avoid the lottery.

I have been saying this for quite some time now: players are NOT the only part of the personel that gets old in the organization.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Is there an line on how long the Gani Lawal thread ends up being?

I'll take the over.

Seriously, I imagine the auditions will start up and more Gani-like scrubs will be signed, played, waived and subsequently lionized here. Don't waste it all on one guy.

ace3g
12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Spurs go w/ light playbook. Pop: "We have to try & gauge what we think we can get in well, instead of what we think we can get in sloppily.

Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
#BigFundamental Tim Duncan: depth huge for Spurs, every team: “Everybody’s going to break down. Everybody’s going to need a deep team."
49 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Mike Monroe
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
#BigFundamental, on depth: "Whether you want to, or not, you’re going to have to put guys out there and let them sink or swim.”
4 minutes ago

Jeff McDonald
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Tim Duncan, on if Spurs need to add big man depth: "That will have to answer itself here come season time."

lefty
12-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Lawal will replace K-Mart in that Chinese club

Mel_13
12-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Forward Gani Lawal will replace Kenyon Martin with Xinjiang in China Basketball Association, source tells Y! Lawal was late cut of Spurs.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Probably explains his release ahead of Hassel and Zeller. Player wasn't going to go to Austin so he was allowed to clear waivers as early as possible to sign a contract overseas.

The_Worlds_finest
12-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Forward Gani Lawal will replace Kenyon Martin with Xinjiang in China Basketball Association, source tells Y! Lawal was late cut of Spurs.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Probably explains his release ahead of Hassel and Zeller. Player wasn't going to go to Austin so he was allowed to clear waivers as early as possible to sign a contract overseas.

Spurs to sign KMart? He would help the team at the expensive of pt for Kawhi.

buttsR4rebounding
12-26-2011, 03:43 PM
This means that Leonard is going to get some minutes at the 4. I just don't see any way around that with the current roster.

Mal
12-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Lawal had contract with polish club from Zielona Góra, up until 12 Feb with NBA opt out clause. His previous club didnt receive any official papers from Lawal`s agency. They arent happy with info about China. I will keep posted about whole situation.