PDA

View Full Version : can Ron Paul get the Pot Heads to vote?

mouse
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I read at one time he was for Legalizing pot, if that's true I may finally vote for the first time. Can Ron Paul get the Pot Head vote?

http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/39198587/ron_zig_zag.jpg

Drachen
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
He isn't for legalizing it. He is for decriminalizing it on the federal level (along with all other drugs) and allowing the states to decide if they want to legalize it or not.

mouse
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Thank you for your Vote?

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:11 AM
RP will get the longhaired rednecks. He might even pick off a few hippies.

It's probably fair to say talk about putting an end to the drug war is soothing to the ears of potheads...but one needn't be a pothead to find it so.

RP's foreign policy is a sop to disaffected progressives as well, but that's pretty much where the agreement ends. Drug war and foreign policy.

boutons_deux
12-23-2011, 02:19 AM
haven't the rednecks moved up to crystal meth and oxycodone, the hillbilly heroin?

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:24 AM
depends on what you mean by redneck redneck. I specified long hair, and should have limited the speculation to Texans. oh well...

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:25 AM
what are the rednecks like in Europe?

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:29 AM
do they do meth too?

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:31 AM
what brand name prescription drugs do rednecks favor in the old country...

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:36 AM
vote far right?

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 02:45 AM
don't hoard the knowledge, bro

Winehole23
12-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Fr0MJ-lrdZQ

Wild Cobra
12-23-2011, 05:30 AM
I read at one time he was for Legalizing pot, if that's true I may finally vote for the first time. Can Ron Paul get the Pot Head vote?

I think you're a bit late to the game, or have no experience with pot. Yes, he advocated legalizing it. He already has the vote of a significant number of people wanting "libertarian" ideals.

Wild Cobra
12-23-2011, 05:31 AM
He isn't for legalizing it. He is for decriminalizing it on the federal level (along with all other drugs) and allowing the states to decide if they want to legalize it or not.
OK, I may stand corrected here, but I don;'t think so. Even of you are right, making it a state issue, most states would follow suit since they won't want the cost burdens.

boutons_deux
12-23-2011, 07:21 AM
"won't want the cost burdens."

subsidizing the PIC is a sacred cow (the PIC pays politician very well). Even hurting CA can't cut down its exorbitant prision population.

otoh, Cutting $5B from public schools was a TX Repug no-brainer. (Repugs love voters with no brains)

boutons_deux
12-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Jurors Need to Know That They Can Say No

IF you are ever on a jury in a marijuana case, I recommend that you vote “not guilty” — even if you think the defendant actually smoked pot, or sold it to another consenting adult. As a juror, you have this power under the Bill of Rights; if you exercise it, you become part of a proud tradition of American jurors who helped make our laws fairer.

The information I have just provided — about a constitutional doctrine called “jury nullification” — is absolutely true. But if federal prosecutors in New York get their way, telling the truth to potential jurors could result in a six-month prison sentence.

Earlier this year, prosecutors charged Julian P. Heicklen, a retired chemistry professor, with jury tampering because he stood outside the federal courthouse in Manhattan providing information about jury nullification to passers-by. Given that I have been recommending nullification for nonviolent drug cases since 1995 — in such forums as The Yale Law Journal, “60 Minutes” and YouTube — I guess I, too, have committed a crime.

The prosecutors who charged Mr. Heicklen said that “advocacy of jury nullification, directed as it is to jurors, would be both criminal and without constitutional protections no matter where it occurred.” The prosecutors in this case are wrong. The First Amendment exists to protect speech like this — honest information that the government prefers citizens not know.

Laws against jury tampering are intended to deter people from threatening or intimidating jurors. To contort these laws to justify punishing Mr. Heicklen, whose court-appointed counsel describe him as “a shabby old man distributing his silly leaflets from the sidewalk outside a courthouse,” is not only unconstitutional but unpatriotic. Jury nullification is not new; its proponents have included John Hancock and John Adams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/21/opinion/jurors-can-say-no.html?_r=1

=====

Jury nullification, sounds like a wonderful way for Human-Americans to vote directly, personally against marijuana laws. NY Prosecutors are pissed about Human-Americans screwing up their prosecution body count of fried n!gg@s and be@ners rounded up by corrupt police also adding to their own body count.

Boris
12-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Ron Paul seems like a cool candidate but I always forget why.

cheguevara
12-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Bingo. this goes for prostitution, heroin and anything you want to do with your body. He is not FOR it, he is for getting FEDERAL goverment out of your life.

Liberty, what a strange way of thinking in this Police State of ours

JohnnyMarzetti
12-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Bingo. this goes for prostitution, heroin and anything you want to do with your body. He is not FOR it, he is for getting FEDERAL goverment out of your life.

Liberty, what a strange way of thinking in this Police State of ours

Well, the voters will keep his ass out of the Federal government position of POTUS.

boutons_deux
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
"he is for getting FEDERAL goverment out of your life."

what about abortion? contraception (TX Repugs killed condom handouts in their admitted War on Contraception)? morning after pill?

He wants the Feds out of citizens' lives, but it sounds like he's OK with state govt getting into lives, bedrooms, vaginas.

Th'Pusher
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
"won't want the cost burdens."

subsidizing the PIC is a sacred cow (the PIC pays politician very well). Even hurting CA can't cut down its exorbitant prision population.

otoh, Cutting $5B from public schools was a TX Repug no-brainer. (Repugs love voters with no brains)

Is this the Prison Industrial Complex? Serious question. Still trying to grasp some of the buttons nomenclature.

cheguevara
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM

what about abortion? contraception (TX Repugs killed condom handouts in their admitted War on Contraception)? morning after pill?

He wants the Feds out of citizens' lives, but it sounds like he's OK with state govt getting into lives, bedrooms, vaginas.

yup.

states can make laws and keep them unless they are declared unconstitutional

DarkReign
12-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Then that is a state issue, boutons.

Its the way it should be. If Louisiana doesnt want abortion, thats the state's decision. Little 15 year old Susie is going to have to drive to whatever nearby state to get an abortion.

Tough shit. This country ought to stop pretending that we are all homogenous and like-minded. Some states are more conservative than others, some are more liberal than others. People will gravitate to the states they agree with and move there, which will breed competition amongst the states.

Laws that are very popular will be quickly adopted across the nation.

But most importantly, it will allow test beds for legislation. Like decriminalizing marijuana, all drugs, prostitution, etc. If it works, it will spread. If it doesnt, it will not and be repealed. But at least the test will be localized and easily repealed unlike every major law change happening at the cripplingly slow pace of the Fed.

Federal government should be concerned with 3 things.

1) Foreign Policy (diplomacy, trade agreements, etc)
2) Domestic Economic Policy (interstate trade, money, taxes and policy)
3) Defense

Everything else should be up to the States. The Supreme Court will still be the Supreme Court with all its power and influence, but that will be it.

JoeChalupa
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd fire one up with Ron Paul.

Wild Cobra
12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd fire one up with Ron Paul.
Sounds good to me. We grow some of the best, here in the NW.