PDA

View Full Version : The Nets get Okur for a measley 2015 Second Round Pick

Amuseddaysleeper
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
WTF are you kidding me here?

This would've been a nice steal for the Spurs, I can't believe he was given away for so little. Would rather have him launch 3's than Bonner.

:bang

z0sa
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
... ouch.

elemento
12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
we have no cap space to add him

Still, we could have offered Mcdyess, Bonner + fillers for him.

Girasuck
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
It was a 2015 2nd round pick and the Nets trade exception which could be a HUGE deal later this year in another move.

lurker23
12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah, this is totally about the salary dump, and perhaps the trade exception should the Jazz choose to use it. It doesn't matter much that the Spurs could have offered a "better" package, because that's not what the Jazz were looking for.

Besides, I don't really view Memo as a great fit for what the Spurs need. Sure, he's more talented than Bonner, but I wouldn't want to pay 3x Bonner's salary and still have a hole defensively.

timvp
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
The Spurs couldn't have absorbed the $11 million or whatever it is that Okur is due this season. And really, $11 million for a broken down Okur doesn't sound very good. I'm not sure he's even better than Bonner these days. Last year he surely wasn't.

Leetonidas
12-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Okur is a more accomplished Bonner who is now closer to Bonner's level because of his age, injuries, and he always seems out of shape. It's probably one of those infatuations because he used to torch our asses everytime he played against the Spurs but nowadays, dude is garbage.

12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Okur is a more accomplished Bonner who is now closer to Bonner's level because of his age, injuries, and he always seems out of shape. It's probably one of those infatuations because he used to torch our asses everytime he played against the Spurs but nowadays, dude is garbage.
he looked like hakeem when matched up with bonner.

angelbelow
12-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Complete salary dump, can't compete with that. Okur also looked terrible last season as the injuries may have stacked up a bit too high for him.

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 06:05 PM
The Jazz had been making room for Okur. Guessing that they realize he's done. I wonder if he's passed the physical. I don't think I'd give up a second round pick for the privilege of spending double digit millions on him.

DesignatedT
12-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Would make sense to be mad if we had cap room to absorb his contract.

but we don't.

baseline bum
12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
The Jazz had been making room for Okur. Guessing that they realize he's done. I wonder if he's passed the physical. I don't think I'd give up a second round pick for the privilege of spending double digit millions on him.

They were clearing space to re-sign him? That wouldn't make much sense with 4 decent bigs in Jefferson, Favors, Millsap, and Kanter already on the roster. Maybe you're right, but even healthy I could see salary dumping a 32 year-old on a big contract to make room for prospects. I can't imagine New Jersey makes that trade if he can't pass their physical with flying colors.

slick'81
12-23-2011, 06:31 PM
okur is healthy and ready to go again spurs had no chance

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 07:17 PM
They were clearing space to re-sign him? That wouldn't make much sense with 4 decent bigs in Jefferson, Favors, Millsap, and Kanter already on the roster. Maybe you're right, but even healthy I could see salary dumping a 32 year-old on a big contract to make room for prospects. I can't imagine New Jersey makes that trade if he can't pass their physical with flying colors.

I don't know that they were making space to re-sign him, but they were making space so he could get playing time. In retrospect the word "showcasing" comes to mind. They may indeed have been trying to move him all along, but you can understand why they'd jump at the chance for instant salary dump even if they weren't.

m>s
12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
thought they were gettin DH tbh

Trill Clinton
12-23-2011, 07:30 PM
he's old and washed up.do.not.want.

ChuckD
12-24-2011, 11:41 AM

The first part is right, but the second is a no go. tbh, Utah wanted the one year trade exception they got from this deal, and that doesn't happen if they take back our contracts.

superbigtime
12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20111223&t=2&i=550417790&w=320&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=BTRE7BM1BTD00

says it all -----------------------------

Buddy Holly
12-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Jazz didn't want any contracts/money coming back. Hence the term "salary dump."

Em-City
12-24-2011, 05:49 PM
jazz wanted to free up minutes for favors - and rightly so.... he's gonna have a monster season