PDA

View Full Version : Holding Doors

DMC
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
It's strange that we hold doors for people who are behind us, especially if they aren't even close enough for the door to hit anyhow. I do it too. In some countries I've been in no one does that. I held a door for a girl in Finland and she stopped and waited for me to release it before she entered. that was weird, but they also will stand at the intersection for 10 minutes at midnight in the middle of winter waiting for the crosswalk light to turn green, no traffic either way.

It's amusing to watch how long people will stand and hold the door.

So this guy was holding a door and waiting for a woman to arrive at the door, but she just walked past the doorway and kept going, didn't come inside, so he released the door and hit another woman who tried to sneak out at that moment. So it became an apology fest.

Funny shit.

Starbucks in the morning...

pawe
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Specially those women who do it to me and Im still 20 feet away from the door.

DMC
12-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Then you have to hurry up because you're now under pressure.

pawe
12-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Exactly.

BlackSwordsMan
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
it comes from the basic understanding woman are weak and need to be helped
in other countries woman are treated like shit so aren't used to men being nice to them

DMC
12-23-2011, 11:12 AM
it comes from the basic understanding woman are weak and need to be helped
in other countries woman are treated like shit so aren't used to men being nice to them

Not the case in Finland. Women are not treated like shit. It's just a different culture. They respect personal privacy and holding a door means you are forced to interact. They don't like to initiate interactions. It's the strangest thing.

Women there are often highly educated and well respected.

We don't just hold doors for women though. We do it for everyone. Funny, we cut them off on the road but hold the door.

Sportcamper
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Holding the door open for an older person & allowing them to go 1st is an act of courtesy and respect…You just don’t see that in Los Angeles anymore…I was in Boise this last summer & was amazed that young men would hold the door open for me at the airport & in restaurants…

leemajors
12-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I'll hold the door open for anyone.

z0sa
12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I usually just swing the door as wide as possible in a gentle manner and hope whoever was behind me made it in

manufan10
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Same here. I always hold the door open for people.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
fck that i open the door enough space for me to squeeze through, and keep on walking...

slacker77
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Holding the door open for an older person & allowing them to go 1st is an act of courtesy and respect…You just don’t see that in Los Angeles anymore…I was in Boise this last summer & was amazed that young men would hold the door open for me at the airport & in restaurants…

This.What I can't stand is, when you open the door for someone and they just walk thru with no acknowledgement.Like they're king and that was what you were suppose to do for them.

Dex
12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

BlackSwordsMan
12-23-2011, 04:21 PM
do they look down at your big bulge and walk slower?

Giuseppe
12-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I either hurry so I don't have to, or, loiter back so I don't have to, like I'm looking at something in the window.

BlackSwordsMan
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Like the antisocial asshole you are you try to divulge yourself from any contact or people noticing you so you step away. You really are an odd fuck

JoeChalupa
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I always hold the door open for others. Just the way I was raised.

Dex
12-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I either hurry so I don't have to, or, loiter back so I don't have to, like I'm looking at something in the window.

Is being discourteous your religion, too?

Giuseppe
12-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Like the antisocial asshole you are you try to divulge yourself from any contact or people noticing you so you step away. You really are an odd fuck

You could always put me on your to ignore list,,,again.

:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
12-23-2011, 06:56 PM
I could but I'd rather see you crawl

Giuseppe
12-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I could but I'd rather see you crawl

Yes, Mistress.

mavs>spurs
12-23-2011, 07:24 PM
people do it at school a lot especially women do it for some reason

Frenzy
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I pay attention to my surroundings if they are in the near vicinity to make the door in time I hold it for them. If they are far off I hurry up so I don't have to stand there and wait for them to do the slight jog to make it. Last time I did that a girl dropped her phone in a puddle trying to make the door lol

m>s
12-23-2011, 09:10 PM
don't come in if a woman is holding the door for you, it's a trap.

Sisk
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I hold doors open for everyone. If you don't, you're probably an asshole.

DMC
12-23-2011, 11:24 PM
I hold doors open for everyone. If you don't, you're probably an asshole.

If you do, you could be a doorman.

Everyone loves it when you hold a door for one person and the rest of the group just keeps filing through like you are doorman.

Sisk
12-24-2011, 01:05 AM
If you do, you could be a doorman.

Everyone loves it when you hold a door for one person and the rest of the group just keeps filing through like you are doorman.

If the group is a family, then there's nothing wrong with that. If the group isn't together, then it's time for you to move along. Being courteous doesn't mean you're a servant - it means you're courteous. I know it's becoming uncool to be nice these days.

DMC
12-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Are you ever surprised when a thug looking dude holds the door for you?

m>s
12-24-2011, 01:30 AM
chinks would watch a dotard being beaten to death, standing by & doing absolutely nothing at all

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2011, 01:57 AM
this common courtesy shouldnt fkn apply to everything...

example a fkn elavator/lift, i hate clownss that hold the door when ur in a hurry...or clowns who stand where the door is and just talk to the clown thats not gettin into the lift....

Insomniac
12-24-2011, 03:21 AM
http://troll.me/images/dating-site-murderer/i-love-beating-women-to-the-door-so-i-can-open-it-for-them.jpg

ploto
12-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I hold doors open for anyone. I will always remember the lady going on and on when my son was 8 years old and went to hold the door open for a woman. I never said a word to him about doing it. He simply always saw me doing it. Imagine that!

JoeChalupa
12-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I hold doors open for anyone. I will always remember the lady going on and on when my son was 8 years old and went to hold the door open for a woman. I never said a word to him about doing it. He simply always saw me doing it. Imagine that!

:tu Kids learn by example.

Nathan Explosion
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I always hold the door open for people. If I turn and notice that they're a ways away, what I'll do is swing the door all the way open for them and walk away. That way they don't have to do the awkward jog, but they can still arrive in time to catch the door before it closes and make it through. It may not be open all the way, but it's never more than half closed when they arrive, so I figure that's still just as good.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think anyone, especially anyone here, is that important to be in that much of a damn hurry that you can't sacrifice a few seconds to hold open a door for someone. I do it all the time and it's kinda sad the look of astonishment I get when I do.

CosmicCowboy
12-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Yep...me too...

timtonymanu
12-24-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't mind holding the door open. It's the bitches who don't even say thank you that piss me off.

Creepn
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I usually hold open for people who aren't close just to make them do that awkward run...

lmao. I do the awkward run.

Jacob1983
12-25-2011, 02:15 AM
I think most women expect people especially guys to hold doors open for them because society says so. I also think people in general hold doors open for others because they don't want to be rude and don't want to have to deal with the person asking "why didn't you hold the door for me".

DMC
12-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Many don't mind being rude on the road. It's the anonymity on the road and on the internet that enables people to be assholes. In stores, it's more of a personal interaction so you feel more of a kinship with others.

Sisk
12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't mind holding the door open. It's the bitches who don't even say thank you that piss me off.

This.

rr2418
12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I think it's funny when you're going to a store that has several doors people walking behind will follow you to the door you're going in instead of using the other doors to enter the store. It's like they're too lazy to physically open the door themselves, lol!