PDA

View Full Version : It's not how you start...rather, it's how you finish that counts

Solid D
12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Starting strong and having the 2nd most wins didn't count for much last season. As we've seen over and over and over again with professional sports teams, including the Spurs, the team with the best record seldom wins the championship.

The Spurs have several new additions and young players needing experience. Like a lot of other NBA teams this season, there is a lot of rust and unfamiliarity with the 2011-12 edition of the San Antonio squad.

Face it. The Spurs are going to look sloppy early-on. They are going to lose some games, some in the most agonizing of ways, due to a lack of cohesion and knowing how to finish games. There are rookies and young players who are going to make foolish decisions and at the worst times.

The Spurs aren't a dominating team inside but they can still play as a team, share the ball, force their men out of the middle to the edges and baseline and hit shots. So don't flame out with your Spurs passion too soon this season. It's a smaller team but let's see what they can make of it...come Spring of 2012.

Russ
12-26-2011, 03:09 PM
The last lockout-shortened season the Spurs started something like 6-8 but we all know how that ended . . .

Sean Cagney
12-26-2011, 03:11 PM
The last lockout-shortened season the Spurs started something like 6-8 but we all know how that ended . . .

Prime Tim Duncan at his best, D Rob still an all star, no relation to this team at all. That team was a D powerhouse as well, don't get hopes up of another 99 here.

therealtruth
12-26-2011, 03:47 PM
The only way they go back to '99 is if they improve the defense. We know they can score. They know have to defend.

Thomas82
12-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Yeah, and I remember everybody calling for Pop's head and for the Spurs to trade David Robinson.

DMC
12-26-2011, 04:05 PM
It's not a dichotomy though. They could start bad and finish bad.

urunobili
12-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Hate to say it Solid, as much as I love your posts, this one was like an emo'd self loathing FB post.

Though the fundamentals of what you're saying are entirely true, we both know that it won't stop the Panic if they indeed end up having a sloppy start.

IMO and as in last 2 years, the Spurs rely on RJ being a stud. Now as for the front court, if Splitter suddenly performs as Scola and maintains his health, we should be ok...

jjktkk
12-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Imo, this current Spurs team, in order to be succesful, will have to rely on near perfect execution, on the defensive end of the court. Because defense is this teams biggest flaw, the Spurs will have to be nearly flawless, just to be average on defense. But just being average(solid) on defense, should put the Spurs in the contender mix in the West, provided the Spurs stay healthy and the Spurs stay consistant with their offense.

DMC
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Imo, this current Spurs team, in order to be succesful, will have to rely on near perfect execution, on the defensive end of the court. Because defense is this teams biggest flaw, the Spurs will have to be nearly flawless, just to be average on defense. But just being average(solid) on defense, should put the Spurs in the contender mix in the West, provided the Spurs stay healthy and the Spurs stay consistant with their offense.
When you say "contender" do you mean the Spurs should contend for a title?

Really?

I don't see it.

jjktkk
12-26-2011, 05:18 PM
When you say "contender" do you mean the Spurs should contend for a title?

Really?

I don't see it.

No, just in the West. Can't see them beating the Heat or the Bulls, if they made it to the finals.

timvp
12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Starting strong and having the 2nd most wins didn't count for much last season. As we've seen over and over and over again with professional sports teams, including the Spurs, the team with the best record seldom wins the championship.

The Spurs have several new additions and young players needing experience. Like a lot of other NBA teams this season, there is a lot of rust and unfamiliarity with the 2011-12 edition of the San Antonio squad.

Face it. The Spurs are going to look sloppy early-on. They are going to lose some games, some in the most agonizing of ways, due to a lack of cohesion and knowing how to finish games. There are rookies and young players who are going to make foolish decisions and at the worst times.

The Spurs aren't a dominating team inside but they can still play as a team, share the ball, force their men out of the middle to the edges and baseline and hit shots. So don't flame out with your Spurs passion too soon this season. It's a smaller team but let's see what they can make of it...come Spring of 2012.

Quality take :tu

This season will basically be about survival for the Spurs. They should burn just enough energy to make the playoffs. I don't really care if things get ugly along the way ... as long as they make it to the playoffs in one piece, I'll be satisfied.

That said, with the way the schedule breaks, unfortunately the Spurs actually need to win some games coming out of the gates. Going 6-2 or better in the first eight games is pretty important to avoid spending the whole season trying to dig their way out of a hole.

The Spurs have 13 games before the schedule becomes really, really difficult so hopefully this will include a number of sloppy wins.

:smokin

Solid D
12-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Hate to say it Solid, as much as I love your posts, this one was like an emo'd self loathing FB post.

Though the fundamentals of what you're saying are entirely true, we both know that it won't stop the Panic if they indeed end up having a sloppy start.

IMO and as in last 2 years, the Spurs rely on RJ being a stud. Now as for the front court, if Splitter suddenly performs as Scola and maintains his health, we should be ok...

If you mean that this post won't stop the emo self-loathers from overreacting, then I agree. The only loathing I've done is loathing some of the Spurs' FO decisions they've made since 2007.

I'm just trying to remind people to keep it real and don't put too much stock into early failure.

DMC
12-26-2011, 05:25 PM
No, just in the West. Can't see them beating the Heat or the Bulls, if they made it to the finals.
Yeah that's what I meant. I don't think the Spurs have the pieces to contend for a conference title, even if they play decent defense, because we have a few mid to high minute guys who's best defensive efforts are sub par for that level of expectation.

Why? Because Pop won't allow the development of pivotal role players over the likes of Blair and Bonner.

There's no way in hell we even get to the WCF with Blair as a starting center.

jjktkk
12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah that's what I meant. I don't think the Spurs have the pieces to contend for a conference title, even if they play decent defense, because we have a few mid to high minute guys who's best defensive efforts are sub par for that level of expectation.

Why? Because Pop won't allow the development of pivotal role players over the likes of Blair and Bonner.

There's no way in hell we even get to the WCF with Blair as a starting center.

Its a tough call, but I give them a shot to make it to the WC finals, just given the fact the West has been weakened by all the player movement this off season, Chandler, etc... This is the Spur's ceiling imo

benefactor
12-26-2011, 05:53 PM
If you mean that this post won't stop the emo self-loathers from overreacting, then I agree. The only loathing I've done is loathing some of the Spurs' FO decisions they've made since 2007.

I'm just trying to remind people to keep it real and don't put too much stock into early failure.
The best mindset is one that is realistic from the get go in order to keep from going too emo. This team simply is not a championship team. They are a middle of the pack playoff team who...with heath and the bounce of a few balls the right way...might be able to reach the WCF...and that's being generous. I would suggest to all fans to enjoy and appreciate whatever great moments the Big 3 produce in this the twilight of their union...and to accept the failures as part of the process of father time's clock that unmercifully ticks away.

urunobili
12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
I am just not allowing myself to dream anymore...

benefactor
12-26-2011, 06:14 PM
I am just not allowing myself to dream anymore...
:lol I wouldn't go that far.

All I'm asking is to keep a fair perspective regarding the current state of this team and what they can realistically accomplish. That way whatever surprising positives occur can be that much more enjoyable.

therealtruth
12-26-2011, 06:15 PM
It's not that the team with the best record doesn't always win. It's the team that is playing the best and especially around playoff time that wins. You can measure that by point differential and offensive/defensive rating. Last year the record was fool's gold. Basically Pop sacrificed playing better offensively and especially defensively for more W's. Too many games came against teams that weren't at their best or missing key players. Plus Neal bailed them out of alot of games.

weebo
12-26-2011, 07:37 PM
95% of the teams coming into this season has question marks. The one thing the Spurs have going for them is that their starting five have played with each other before. So, that in itself might help them steal some wins early on. I hope. LOL

DPG21920
12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't understand this logic. Every team should struggle based on the criteria you listed so why should the Spurs be in any worse shape than any other team in this regard?