PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Carlesimo plans exit to be with ailing wife

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Spurs notebook: Carlesimo plans exit to be with ailing wife
Web Posted: 06/17/2005 12:46 AM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061705.4S.BKNspurs.notebook.18b55cce.html

San Antonio Express-News

Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo planned to leave the Palace of Auburn Hills immediately after Thursday's Game 4 to return to San Antonio to be with his wife, Carolyn.

Carlesimo said his wife, who delivered the couple's second child — a boy, Casey — on June 6, had to be hospitalized after developing an infection.

He first planned to head home Thursday morning and was not at the team's morning shootaround at Seaholm High School in suburban Birmingham, Mich. Carlesimo opted to remain in Michigan after learning that Carolyn's condition was not as serious as he initially had feared.

Carlesimo said he did not know when he would rejoin the team.

Small consolation: Tim Duncan moved past David Robinson to become the franchise playoff leader in career rebounds when he grabbed a defensive rebound two minutes into the first period.

Duncan finished with 16 rebounds, giving him 1,317 for his playoff career. He also holds the franchise mark for most postseason points.

From bad ...: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told ABC-TV that he never had seen a team play as badly in the Finals as his team in the first half.

The Spurs were the first team in 40 years to be outscored in five consecutive quarters in the Finals by at least five points. They were outscored in the last three quarters in Game 3 and the first two Thursday in Game 4.

Other teams to be outscored by at least five points in five-straight quarters were Rochester in the 1951 series against New York, and the Los Angeles Lakers by Boston in 1965.

... to worse: The Spurs suffered two of their worst six losses this season in the past two games in Detroit, losing by 17 and 31 points.

The combined margin in Games 3 and 4 (48 points) was the largest by which the Spurs had lost consecutive playoff games since the final two games of the 2001 Western Conference finals, in which the Los Angeles Lakers won by a combined 68 points.

Thursday also marked the first time the Spurs had dropped consecutive games since losing the third and fourth games of the Western Conference semifinals against Seattle.

Two of a kind: Robinson, who brought his three sons to Detroit to cheer for the Spurs, talked with Hall of Fame center Bill Russell prior to the game. Robinson was wearing his 2003 championship ring.

Learning curve: Popovich has been pleased with point guard Beno Udrih's play this season, though he admits there have been nights when Udrih has looked like a rookie.

Tuesday was one of them. As soon as Udrih stepped onto the floor late in the third quarter of Game 3, Detroit began applying full-court pressure.

The Spurs committed three quick turnovers, including one by Udrih, as the Pistons scored nine consecutive points.

"He's done a heck of job, but he's a rookie," Popovich said. "He's learning a lot. ... But there are going to be games where he's a rookie. And, unfortunately, the last game, he showed a few of those tendencies."

Another Rodman? Former Pistons coach Chuck Daly said Bruce Bowen's disruptive defensive style reminds him of some of the tactics used by ex-Pistons and ex-Spurs forward Dennis Rodman.

"Dennis was exactly like Bowen but maybe even better at getting into your head," Daly told a Detroit television station. "The greatest players in the game had problems with Rodman, who I think was one of the league's all-time best defensive players. Bowen is like him because he makes a lot of contact. It bothers you."

Pistons guard Richard Hamilton said earlier this week that Bowen "gets away with a lot of stuff," a claim Bowen said he's tired of hearing.

"Just play," Bowen said. "I'm going to keep doing what I do. ... If I was as crafty as (Hamilton) says, officials would be calling a lot more fouls on me."

One at a time: Forward Robert Horry appeared shocked when a reporter asked him if he hopes to finish his career with more NBA championships than the six Michael Jordan earned with the Chicago Bulls.

"All I want to do is tie him," said Horry, who owns five rings. "I'm not even thinking about passing him. Six is all I'm thinking about."

Wishful thinking: Brent Barry's father, former NBA star Rick Barry, admits that he's jealous of his son.

"Am I jealous?" the elder Barry said, repeating a reporter's question. "Yes, because I see how the Spurs treat their players. If anybody can get me a genie so I can be 30 years old again and play for the Spurs, I'll do it."

Mike Monroe, Johnny Ludden, Tom Orsborn, Tim Griffin

mouse
06-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Hey Kori . how do certain News papers get that kind of info before others do?

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Pistons notebook: Low turnover total sets Finals record
Web Posted: 06/17/2005 12:47 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Detroit recorded just four turnovers in Game4 on Thursday night — an NBA record in the Finals. The Pistons had only one turnover in the first half and went nearly 17 minutes between miscues from late in the first quarter until early in the third quarter.

"You can look at the stat sheet and tell the entire team was involved," Detroit guard Richard Hamilton said. "It was a total team effort. We stuck together and played together and kept swinging the ball until we got open shots."

The Pistons made a concerted effort to jump on the Spurs early. After falling into a 4-0 hole, Detroit scored 14 of the next 19 points and never trailed again.

"We wanted to attack, we wanted to hit first," Hamilton said. "The guys did an excellent job of getting into passing lanes and trying to take things away from them."

Thought process: Detroit approached the last two games with a different mentality than the first two games, according to Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince.

"We were in a desperate situation the last two games," Prince said. "That's why the effort has been there, creating turnovers and pounding the defensive board."

Detroit is looking to become the first NBA team to come back to win the Finals series after losing the first two games since Portland claimed four-straight games to beat Philadelphia in 1977.

"We don't care what you guys write or anything like that," Prince said. "Anytime a team goes down 2-0, there will be talk about things being over. We can't worry about that, we just try to put it behind us and continue the way we know we can play."

Spurs tougher than Lakers: The Pistons' unseating of the three-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers last year remains one of the NBA Finals biggest surprises, but Detroit coach Larry Brown said Thursday that his team faces an even bigger challenge this year.

Because of the way the Spurs are playing at both ends of the floor, Brown said they have been tougher to play against than the Lakers.

Last June, Lakers forward Karl Malone was battling injuries, and the Pistons were able to focus almost their entire defense on stopping Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

"From that standpoint, (defending the Lakers) might have been a little easier for us," Brown said.

The Pistons also are finding it more difficult to get good shots against the Spurs.

"The Lakers were a very good defensive team," Brown said. "This is a great defensive team."

All about the "ships": Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace has one of the most unique vernaculars in the NBA Finals. His latest twist on the English language is his abridged version of the word "championships." To Wallace, they're simply "'ships."

And the way he sees it, the 'ships are far more important than statistics. Or would they be "'stics?"

"I'm not trying to be a great scorer of the game," Wallace said. "Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), Mike (Jordan), Larry Bird, they were great scorers, but I'm not out to be a scorer in this game. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if I had the worst career stats in NBA history as long as I got my 'ships. The 'ships ... it shuts everything up."

Rip's mask here to stay: Detroit guard Richard Hamilton has made his protective plastic facemask a permanent part of his game wardrobe even though the broken nose that first necessitated it more than a year ago is long healed. Hamilton said he doesn't see any reason to stop wearing it.

"They tried to get me to wear it after the first time I broke it but I said 'no way,'" Hamilton said. "It was one of those things that I had to get adjusted to and now it's just like wearing a headband."

Tim Griffin, Mike Finger

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey Kori . how do certain News papers get that kind of info before others do?

Johnny Ludden gets the info first because he's the Spurs beat reporter. He's at all the games and gets the info directly from the team.

mouse
06-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Yes but isn't that kind of info a little on the personal side? we never hear about Pop and his wife. And did you see how upset pop was at the reporters after the game?

I thought that was kinda cheesy to meltdown like that in front of all to see.

I think Pop needs to smoke a joint and get ready for game seven,

Smackie Chan
06-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Johnny Ludden gets the info first because he's the Spurs beat reporter. He's at all the games and gets the info directly from the team.

That should be your job, WTF is your agent thinking?

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:36 AM
That should be your job, WTF is your agent thinking?

I don't want a job where I actually have to go to work. What job can beat staying home, setting my own hours, and hanging out with my husband all day while I write whenever and whatever I want to write.

Victor Newman
06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
What job can beat staying home,

working for me at Newman Enterprises.

T Park
06-17-2005, 02:28 AM
"Am I jealous?" the elder Barry said, repeating a reporter's question. "Yes, because I see how the Spurs treat their players. If anybody can get me a genie so I can be 30 years old again and play for the Spurs, I'll do it."

I wish Brent was Rick.

Rick had twice the nuts that shitfuck does.