PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Duncan's broken machine

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Buck Harvey: Duncan's broken machine: How Rasheed jammed it
Web Posted: 06/17/2005 01:06 AM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061705.1S.COL.BKNharvey.18c6c9a7.html

San Antonio Express-News

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Hours before Gregg Popovich would talk to Tim Duncan on the bench, a hand on his knee, and long before the two would be beaten as badly as they've been beaten this postseason, Popovich joked.

Then, before the game, Popovich said he wished there was a machine that would allow you to look into Duncan's head.

"And it would print out what's going through there," Popovich said.

The machine would have to be high-tech, complete with security encryption. And after nights such as Thursday, a parental lock might be necessary, too.

Today's data, for example, would be something to see.

Wouldn't the mind wonder if this series isn't reminiscent of the Lakers series? Not last year's — in 2001 when the Spurs were swept.

Wouldn't the mind wonder how the Pistons could end with just four turnovers, an NBA Finals low? The Spurs commit that many on the tip.

Wouldn't the mind question Nazr Mohammed's hands, and Brent Barry's cool, and Tony Parker's assist-turnover ratio, and Popovich himself?

And when it came to how Duncan saw his own game, wouldn't the machine smoke and whir and spit out a familiar name?

Duncan has to be thinking about Rasheed Wallace.

Duncan revealed none of it. He came to the post-game podium with his same, expressionless face. "They did an excellent job," he said. "They are a very good defensive team from one to five."

Yes, there needs to be a machine.

Duncan's calm will come in handy over the next few days. His brain will remind him that there have been four blowouts in this series, all by the home team, and so all isn't lost for his team.

Remember how the Pistons said the Spurs had merely held court in San Antonio? The Spurs can say the same now.

But just as the Pistons had to wonder if they could react after their trip to San Antonio, the Spurs have to now. For everything the Spurs can correct, the Pistons don't have to correct a thing.

They were so good that Larry Brown was giddy.

Brown is tormented by never seeing the perfect game, but he nearly got one. The Pistons had 13 steals to the Spurs' one, and only four turnovers to the Spurs' 18.

Detroit, in short, was the machine. Before the trip to Detroit, the Spurs had never given up more than 90 points in a Finals game. They just gave up 96 and 102.

The Pistons scored, all right. But the factor that created everything was their defense, beginning with 'Sheed. He took Duncan, freeing his Detroit defenders to go after the other Spurs. When Duncan couldn't get free, shooting only 5 for 17, all dynamics changed.

The same happened in Game3, when Duncan managed only 14 points. Then, going by the pattern, most expected Duncan to right himself.

That's when Popovich talked about what he thinks Duncan does between games. "He just beats himself up," Popovich said. "He blames himself. He gets disappointed in himself, and as the next game comes, his cup fills again and he comes with renewed focus. I said nothing to him — well, I did. I sat next to him and said, 'Do I need to say anything or do you already know what I'm going to say?'"

Then Popovich imitated Duncan, nodding with a blank stare.

"I said, 'It's been great talking to you.' And I went the other way. That was our meeting."

That's the way it was against Denver, Seattle and Phoenix, too. Left alone to figure things out, Duncan responded. Wouldn't he again?

But Wallace wasn't in Denver or Seattle or Phoenix. He stands here instead, with long arms and an athletic body, just as he did when he bothered Duncan as a Blazer.

Popovich calls him "probably one of the four or five most talented players in the league," which is some praise for someone who didn't make the All-Star team.

Brown gushed, too. "I think he's the most underrated defender I've ever coached," Brown said.

So when he takes Duncan, mostly by himself? That allows the other Pistons to lock down their man, pressuring the other Spurs to make something happen. The result put Duncan on the bench at the end, listening to Popovich console/lecture.

Duncan stayed unresponsive.

With something — or someone — on his mind.

nkdlunch
06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Duncan speaks in freaking Assembly Language!!! 000000 and 11111s

SuBZer0
06-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Popovich calls him "probably one of the four or five most talented players in the league,"

Wow - I know that he's extremely talented, and he really has been defending Duncan exceptionally, but coming from Pop...

TDfan2007
06-17-2005, 02:37 AM
I don't know what's wrong w/ Tim. He has shown 0 aggresiveness since game 1. :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

ShoogarBear
06-17-2005, 06:32 AM
This "I don't need to say anything" stuff from Pop is lame.

I bet he didn't say anything in 2001, either.