PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili: Pistons' aggressiveness was the difference

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Ginobili: Pistons' aggressiveness was the difference
Web Posted: 06/17/2005 12:46 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061705.4S.BKNspurs.ginobili.18b55c77.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — A player Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has called the most competitive he ever has been around put the Spurs' humiliating loss to the Detroit Pistons in Game 4 of the NBA Finals in the most basic of athletic terms.

The Pistons, Manu Ginobili said, simply wanted the game more than any of the Spurs.

"The determination they showed, the aggressiveness, is the reason why they won," said Ginobili, whose 19 points combined in both Games 3 and 4 failed to match his total in either Game 1 (26) or Game 2 (27). "It's important for us to push the ball more to get a couple of easy baskets, but today we were not there in any part of the game. Rebounds, turnovers, passing the ball ... in every part of the game they just killed us.

"You have to wish to win that game more than them."

That Ginobili has been unable to get to the basket in the two games played at the Palace of Auburn Hills the way he did at the SBC Center has affected every aspect of the Spurs' ability to score.

It is not because he hasn't tried.

The difference, Ginobili said, has been the Spurs' unwillingness to move the ball the way they did in Games 1 and 2.

"Offensively, I'm just not finding the way to the basket," Ginobili said. "They are really collapsing in the paint a lot and our moving of the ball is just not there. We're not finding the open shots that were there in Games 1 and 2.

"In the first half of Game 1, and a big part of Game 2, I just couldn't get there anyway, but we still moved the ball. We pushed it and played faster and we found solutions.

"I don't think it's just a matter of just me attacking the basket. It's a matter of how the team is playing as a team."

And that thigh bruise he suffered in Game 3?

No excuse offered.

"Manu," Popovich said, "is not injured. He's fine."

Popovich did allow that the Pistons' defense has had a major impact on Ginobili's ability to dominate the way he did in the first two games. Detroit has packed its defense into the lane and challenged Ginobili and Tony Parker to beat the Spurs from the perimeter, rather than in the paint.

"He's just going to have to let the game come to him and not worry too much about making something happen every time he touches the ball," Popovich said.

Popovich knows how vital it is for Ginobili to get his game going again, though. To that end he called a few plays for Ginobili at the outset of the second half, hoping for the best. And Ginobili did manage to get to the rim on the Spurs' first possession of the half.

But he didn't score again for more than nine minutes.

So much for giving the Spurs a spark.

"Yeah, I was (trying to get myself going)," Ginobili said. "Pop tried to run a couple of plays for me. But at the same time, it's not one player that is going to revert a 15 or 17-point lead. It's a matter of us playing with more determination, wanting the game more."

Victor Newman
06-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Sounds like he took the long way of just saying he got his ass kicked.
sorry but Manu needs to stop telling folks what went wrong , and just stop it from happening next time.

mrcoon29
06-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Sounds like he took the long way of just saying he got his ass kicked.
sorry but Manu needs to stop telling folks what went wrong , and just stop it from happening next time.
:lol Well, he was responding to a reporter's question. Also, it needs to be a team effort not just one player stopping an ass kicking.
The Pistons definitely more juiced for this game than the Spurs..who knows why. Now it's even steven for both teams. 0-0 However, the next game is not a must win for the Spurs..that would be game 6 at the SBC.
I would have liked them to have won this game (Spurs in 6) but as long as they get the W's in the end I'm happy! :spin

Victor Newman
06-17-2005, 01:55 AM
You have a point but when will Manu and others show it on the court when it counts like tonight did?

mrcoon29
06-17-2005, 01:58 AM
If they show it only at home and get a W..I'm still cool..I won't have any hair or nails left though. And I bet the NBA would be very happy with it also (6-7 game series) seeing as how we have a lock-out coming up. Gotta sell more commercials & concessions while they can..time running out!!

MiNuS
06-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Manu has got to start having people talk before the game and get F-ing Timmy OFF the PSII!

Steve Perry
06-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Times like these you wish you had AJ :smokin

Tom_Foolery
06-17-2005, 02:13 AM
well, it sounds to me like Pop didn't make any adjustments for this game.

He talked more often about Games 1 & 2 instead of the loss the other night.

Maybe a case of Pop trying to force the issue and not "countering" Larry Brown's coaching moves?

Who cares about Games 1 & 2. That was so long ago. Why is Manu talking about games 1 & 2 anyways?

What he should've been talking about is what they didn't do in Game 3 and what adjustments they had planned on making tonight to change that. But instead, it sounds like Pop just told his guys, "hey, cut down on turnovers and you'll win".

Too bad Pop had to learn the hard way.

Note to Pop: Sometimes, it's about the other team and how you counter their moves. It's not all about the Spurs in Detroit...it is about how you counter their gameplan.

Pop failed at that. He did not have Duncan on the move so he could be freed up to score the ball. Instead, Duncan was continuously posted up against a Wallace with another Wallace coming from the weak side for help when Duncan does his spin move.

Like nobody's seen that move from Duncan before.

I don't know. A loss like this I have to put majority of the blame on coaching.

I saw absolutely NOTHING different the Spurs did this game than the last game except for a better job on glass.

toosmallshoes
06-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Perhaps the Spurs should try switching back to the motion offense. More passing. Decreases Pistons' ability to lock down on duncan and pack the paint.
And harder fouls. The Spurs need to start hating the Pistons. At first it was a love fest. The Pistons are smacking them all over the court now. Start hating those guys. I know I do. It's a war now.
Detroit only has Seven players that play. The Spurs can throw 12 out there. Use those fouls guys. No fast breaks. No Layups. No Dunks. Instead... hard fouls.
But first and foremost, the Spurs should stop passing the ball to the Pistons. Remember guys, we wear black jerseys on the road.

T Park
06-17-2005, 02:31 AM
I don't know. A loss like this I have to put majority of the blame on coaching

Of course.

But I agree, if the Spurs lose this series??

Time for a new coach.

lovespurs forever
06-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Why we 2:0 leads always change to 2:2?It's really a strang thing .

dn0
06-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Manu has to start the momentum change by driving to the basket or making some hustle plays.
Duncan has been a pussy and parker is not playing like a PG.