PDA

View Full Version : How Old is Too Old?

DMC
12-27-2011, 12:44 AM
My son is 24 and he starting dating a woman who's 35. She looks young but it seems to me there's an age gap there than could cause some communication issues or even expectation issues down the road.

If he was 40 and she was 50, not a big deal I suppose, but 10 years to a 24 year old is a lot of time.

I haven't said anything about it, but he asked me about it tonight and I've been giving it some thought.

Is a 10 year gap too much at that age or is it just about chemistry? He's not ready for kids yet, but I am afraid she might be a biological time bomb and he might get pulled in since she doesn't have kids.

mavs>spurs
12-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Just imagine when he's 34 and still in his prime because remember guys age more gracefully than women and she'll be approaching 50 by that time.

:lmao at the thought of his fat yellow hand just like daddeh's fingering that old grandma pussy

:vomit:

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2011, 12:53 AM
stop being a pussy if you were 24 and had a chance to fuck an older broad who was probably beat up by her ex husband with two kids you would fuck her as well

DMC
12-27-2011, 12:54 AM
It's 11 years (for an accounting major, your counting sucks) not 16. So when he's 34 she would be 45, not "approaching 50".

It's not so much about when they are 10 years older, but the next few years.

I've dated older and younger women, but never more than 8 years either way. I know some people who have married people more than 10 years apart in age, and it seems one of them gets to the "settled" stage and the other is still looking for something.

DMC
12-27-2011, 12:57 AM
stop being a pussy if you were 24 and had a chance to fuck an older broad who was probably beat up by her ex husband with two kids you would fuck her as well
You don't read worth a fuck.

She has no kids and has never been married (so she says).

He asked me for a reason. I told him I would think about it and talk to him tomorrow.

4>0rings
12-27-2011, 01:36 AM
A woman that's 35 and has never been married and has never had a kid has been passed up by many guys for a reason. A keeper wouldn't of lasted that long.

Who cares, don't cock block your son. If that's what he wants, let him have it. You worried about what he thinks or what you think?

DMC
12-27-2011, 01:47 AM
A woman that's 35 and has never been married and has never had a kid has been passed up by many guys for a reason. A keeper wouldn't of lasted that long.

Who cares, don't cock block your son. If that's what he wants, let him have it. You worried about what he thinks or what you think?
"I haven't said anything about it, but he asked me about it tonight and I've been giving it some thought." -DMC

We aren't talking about just having sex. We are talking about a relationship. How old is too old?

oh crap
12-27-2011, 01:54 AM
age gaps are only weird when you're 10 and your girlfriend is 21, shit works different after grade school. sure she was in middle school when your boy was in diapers but that seems to be the norm these days. embrace it, she may well be your daugher in law someday very soon.

Xevious
12-27-2011, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Eleven years isn't THAT big a deal. As you said, there may be some differences. But that's for them to work out... and if they can't, that doesn't mean it wasn't worth a shot. He's young, he has nothing to worry about. She's the one that should be worrying, because 20-year-olds usually aren't looking to settle down.

Roddy Beaubois
12-27-2011, 03:41 AM
I thought this thread was going to be DMC asking if he was too old to spend every waking moment on ST, and I was going to tell him yes.

tlongII
12-27-2011, 03:44 AM
35 works for me! :tu

silverblk mystix
12-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Too old for him---for a relationship....

I would tell him straight up that he is asking for trouble...if not now then in the future...she is going to get dumped eventually...a 24 yo will change a few times and as soon as he realizes that there are better matches for him to start a family, grow old with,etc....he will dump her and probably end up paying child support to this older woman...

At 24 I would advise him to worry about education and only bang young bimbos until he is 30-35....

benefactor
12-27-2011, 06:50 AM
My sister married a man 10 years older than her and they've been married for over 20 years now. Never really thought much about the age gap.

leemajors
12-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm 34 and have been dating a 22 year old for 6 months. I went back and forth on it for 4 months before I asked her out, but decided fuck it and did it. She knows as much or more about beer than I do, which is pretty fucking awesome.

ploto
12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Something about these 20-something guys going after the 30-something women.

I would just think that it is likely that she is interested in one thing and he in another, but I obviously know neither of them. A 35-year-old, never married woman could surely be looking for a husband. Is he just dating her and having fun or is it getting serious really quickly? That would be my red flag if she is pushing things forward at a rapid pace.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Tell him it's none of your business and he can do whatever he wants. What you think won't make a difference.

m>s
12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
It's 11 years (for an accounting major, your counting sucks) not 16. So when he's 34 she would be 45, not "approaching 50".

It's not so much about when they are 10 years older, but the next few years.

I've dated older and younger women, but never more than 8 years either way. I know some people who have married people more than 10 years apart in age, and it seems one of them gets to the "settled" stage and the other is still looking for something.

i know whom your referring to, D :rolleyes

byrontx
12-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Nature treats the genders unequally and that impacts relations. An older male and younger female can easilly produce and raise children so age difference is not that big of a deal. That is not true in reverse. Older female with young male is less common and more likelly to fail. Its ok for the son and her to hit it but long term is most likely a mistake.

CosmicCowboy
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
It may not work for everyone but I was twenty five and my wife was 33 when I married her (30+ years ago)

CosmicCowboy
12-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm 34 and have been dating a 22 year old for 6 months. I went back and forth on it for 4 months before I asked her out, but decided fuck it and did it. She knows as much or more about beer than I do, which is pretty fucking awesome.

:lmao

Sounds like you guys have a solid foundation to build a life together on...:lol

desflood
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Times have changed - not all women feel the need to marry and/or have kids anymore. Odds are this is a fling for her, not a long-term relationship. She's found a man who can give her what she wants in the bedroom and she's keeping him around until one of them tires of the other. At that point she'll find somebody her own age to settle with or move on to the next young'un. Or who knows; maybe they'll discover they'll want to stay together for the long haul. Don't worry too much - things usually have a way of working themselves out.

rascal
12-27-2011, 10:32 AM
My son is 24 and he starting dating a woman who's 35. She looks young but it seems to me there's an age gap there than could cause some communication issues or even expectation issues down the road.

If he was 40 and she was 50, not a big deal I suppose, but 10 years to a 24 year old is a lot of time.

I haven't said anything about it, but he asked me about it tonight and I've been giving it some thought.

Is a 10 year gap too much at that age or is it just about chemistry? He's not ready for kids yet, but I am afraid she might be a biological time bomb and he might get pulled in since she doesn't have kids.

He is old enough to make his own decisions.

rascal
12-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Not so anymore. People are delaying marriage.

Drachen
12-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I can't believe anyone has pointed this out: if he is asking you what you think about the age difference, it is likely because HE has a bit of a problem with it and is hoping someone tells him that it is not (reassurance). I really believe that this is what you should be exploring (what is his problem with it and can it be overcome). As to your question, if I am wrong about what I wrote prior, then age isn't that big of a deal. If they go together well, then that is really what matters.

leemajors
12-27-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm not really into divulging all the details of our relationship here in the forum, but for her to know as much as she does about beer at 22 is pretty impressive imo. At her age I was a total mess - chugging Shiner Bock, smoking shitty dirt weed, and hating my dad for cheating on my mom.

mrsmaalox
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with Drachen-----he's asking for your opinion/advice because he is unsure of the whole thing himself. Means he's not looking to make any extreme moves and that's much better than if he was not thinking it thru and not giving a shit what anyone else thinks.

But really, anyone who has had a serious relationship knows that it is all about personalities and compatibility; and although age can play a small part in that, chances are that nothing would get too far if the basic compatibility wasn't there, regardless of age.

I've made a quick rundown in my mind of the successful longterm relationships of people I know and it seems agewise they are all over the place. And in most of them the wife is about 2 years older or the husband is about 10 years older. In my case, my husband is more than 10 years older, but it's quite obvious to me that our successes/failures are the result of a bunch of things other than age :lol

baseline bum
12-27-2011, 01:19 PM

That's good, because I think lee's only other option would be to marry scott if he wants to find someone more knowledgeable. :lol

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
dmc is so mean to me :depressed

z0sa
12-27-2011, 02:34 PM
That's about right at the age limit I'd set for myself. +10 years or so. If I set a limit.

Summers
12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I would tell your son to truthfully assess her expectations. As an older woman, I wouldn't touch a 25-year-old man with a ten-foot pole if I was looking for a relationship, unless your son is remarkably mature and ready for a mature relationship. At the risk of sounding cynical, why would someone her age be interested in your son? If they are looking for the same kind of relationship, good for them for finding a partner. If they have very different expectations, it won't end well.

biological clock
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
If the timing is right age shouldn't matter but if he's asking then there is more beneath the question.

DMC
12-27-2011, 05:16 PM
dmc is so mean to me :depressed
I don't mean to be.

silverblk mystix
12-27-2011, 05:28 PM
The 35 yo womans' biological clock is ticking more urgently that Gregg Pops' Bonner-Boner Meter-

so she will be pressuring your son (consciously or subconsciously) to give her the Baby-Batter pronto!

DMX7
12-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon did something similar.

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
mariah carrey and nick cannon get married everyone is fine with it jerry sandusky does the same thing and might go to jail
hyprocrite pro black country we live in makes me sick

DMC
12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
mariah carrey and nick cannon get married everyone is fine with it jerry sandusky does the same thing and might go to jail
hyprocrite pro black country we live in makes me sick
Jerry gives a whole new meaning to the words "Coaches Poll"

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
he gives a new meaning to don't worry it'll only bleed the first time

DMC
12-27-2011, 07:05 PM
he gives a new meaning to don't worry it'll only bleed the first time
He wanted the kid clean and when you want something done....

DMX7
12-28-2011, 02:07 AM
son I didn't even have to read his wikipedia page to feel that way.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Times have changed - not all women feel the need to marry and/or have kids anymore. Odds are this is a fling for her, not a long-term relationship. She's found a man who can give her what she wants in the bedroom and she's keeping him around until one of them tires of the other. At that point she'll find somebody her own age to settle with or move on to the next young'un. Or who knows; maybe they'll discover they'll want to stay together for the long haul. Don't worry too much - things usually have a way of working themselves out.

This was my initial thought as well. I think its likely she's just enjoying having a younger man. Good for her. Good for him. I doubt anyone will come out any worse for the wear.

MannyIsGod
12-28-2011, 04:37 AM
I can't believe anyone has pointed this out: if he is asking you what you think about the age difference, it is likely because HE has a bit of a problem with it and is hoping someone tells him that it is not (reassurance). I really believe that this is what you should be exploring (what is his problem with it and can it be overcome). As to your question, if I am wrong about what I wrote prior, then age isn't that big of a deal. If they go together well, then that is really what matters.

I don't think it means that he has a problem with it. I think its pretty natural to know that other people may view that age difference oddly and he may be concerned about how people he considers important - such as his parents - view it. That doesn't mean he has a problem with it directly.

ploto
12-28-2011, 07:54 AM
I think its likely she's just enjoying having a younger man. Good for her. Good for him. I doubt anyone will come out any worse for the wear.

If she was divorced and already had kids, I would agree 100%.

Trill Clinton
12-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't think there is an issue if they're just fucking. Is he looking to marry this broad?

DisAsTerBot
12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
not all dating leads to marriage.

next.

hater
12-28-2011, 11:04 AM
the good side of this is the 35 year old is gonna give your son a loooooong leash. So he will be able to go out and fuck whoever he wants on the side.

DMC
12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
She's got older friends, in their 40's. He's got friends that are 20.

I told him that relationships always exist, it's just up to him how far he wants this one to go. He's not the type to mention love and all that, he just wants to know if she's going to turn into a crow in a few years.

DisAsTerBot
12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
She's got older friends, in their 40's. He's got friends that are 20.

I told him that relationships always exist, it's just up to him how far he wants this one to go. He's not the type to mention love and all that, he just wants to know if she's going to turn into a crow in a few years.

he sounds like a moron. which must make her a real winner

DMC
12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
he sounds like a moron. which must make her a real winner
Why do you have to be so negative? Can't a man pour his heart out on a forum about his offspring without someone like you taking cheap shots at him? That's all I ask.

CosmicCowboy
12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Why do you have to be so negative? Can't a man pour his heart out on a forum about his offspring without someone like you taking cheap shots at him? That's all I ask.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DMC
12-28-2011, 06:20 PM
:lol

Sisk
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM

To answer the question, fuck dating a woman 11 years older than you. You can sleep with them a couple times, but never date them.

GoodOdor
12-29-2011, 02:12 AM
It only works when the guy is older tbh.

You know, like when IronMexican dated that 14 year old chick. Totally fine since he was older.

JoeChalupa
12-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm 13 yrs older than my wife and we are going on 17 years together.
I also saw that Hugh Jackman's wife is like 13 years older and he met her when he was 26 and they are still together. It can work for sure.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't think it means that he has a problem with it. I think its pretty natural to know that other people may view that age difference oddly and he may be concerned about how people he considers important - such as his parents - view it. That doesn't mean he has a problem with it directly.

That.

Maybe the stone faces and non-communication over it, with whom he's asking, is the reason......

DMC
12-29-2011, 02:39 PM
That.

Maybe the stone faces and non-communication over it, with whom he's asking, is the reason......

Great insight. You should become a professional imo.

Kori Ellis
12-29-2011, 03:09 PM
It's no secret that I'm a million years older than timvp, and we have an awesome marriage. But honestly, it won't work for most people long-term. The woman has to be completely secure, otherwise she'll be obsessed about him looking for a younger partner. And the guy has to be mature and stable in ways that most 20-something year old guys aren't.

pass1st
12-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Guys age like wine, gals age like milk.

Not to be sexist, but we're biologically geared towards men choosing the younger mate and women choosing the older one. Men are at their best, sexually, in their early-mid 30s and women mid-late 20s.

That might not speak much in accordance to the big picture, but there will be added difficulties if a woman is 10 years older than a man and both are under 50. She's going to be in a physical decline when he breaks 30 probably, but maybe she ages more gracefully and that might get delayed 5 more years. At any rate, if your son got with her on a serious note, it will only work if sex/physical attraction are very low on the priority list.

Even the most mature couples have it in the top 5.

m>s
12-30-2011, 08:00 AM
so if some american woman (black or white or latina, regardless of her age) is willing to marry a sorry yellow fuck, the young fuck better seal the paperwork as soon as he can

JoeChalupa
12-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Michael Jordan found a woman who likes an older man and she is freakin hot.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Michael-Jordan-gets-engaged-to-model-girlfriend?urn=nba-wp12585
http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_images_540/images/2011_december/tumblr_ltyu7uwggx1r31jjho1_500_0.jpg

leemajors
12-30-2011, 08:27 AM
i'm sure his endless piles of cash didn't hurt either.

silverblk mystix
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
she got mannish hands...

leemajors
12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
anyways, too short said it best - get in where you fit in.

resistanze
12-30-2011, 10:33 AM
i'm sure his endless piles of cash didn't hurt either.

lol. Yeah, I doubt age was even in the equation.

DMC
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Michael Jordan found a woman who likes an older man and she is freakin hot.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Michael-Jordan-gets-engaged-to-model-girlfriend?urn=nba-wp12585
http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_images_540/images/2011_december/tumblr_ltyu7uwggx1r31jjho1_500_0.jpg

Dude, I'm married and straight as fuck and I would marry Michael, no homo, so that doesn't count, and she's not hot.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Dude, I'm married and straight as fuck and I would marry Michael, no homo, so that doesn't count, and she's not hot.

Not hot!? Well, I guess she may not be for everyone but damn she's fine and I'd never marry Michael.

redzero
12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
she got mannish hands...

Cannot unsee.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2011, 01:26 PM
she got mannish hands...

Yeah, I got that impression too.

DMC
12-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Not hot!? Well, I guess she may not be for everyone but damn she's fine and I'd never marry Michael.
Me either if he wanted a prenup.

silverblk mystix
12-30-2011, 04:40 PM

...ACTUALLY...

This is fuckin gay and homo if you are admitting you would marry MJ...

FAG!

DMC
12-30-2011, 05:22 PM
...ACTUALLY...

This is fuckin gay and homo if you are admitting you would marry MJ...

FAG!

I didn't say I would fuck him.

silverblk mystix
12-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I didn't say I would fuck him.

No...he would fuck you if you married him...

Homo.

DMC
12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
No...he would fuck you if you married him...

Homo.
Nah, guys our age are happy with good conversation, single malt and a round of golf. You wouldn't know, prison bitch.

silverblk mystix
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Nah, guys our age are happy with good conversation, single malt and a round of golf. You wouldn't know, prison bitch.

You are right. I wouldn't know what other guys find attractive in other guys.

Cocksmoker.

DMC
12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
You are right. I wouldn't know what other guys find attractive in other guys.

Cocksmoker.
Though you've freely chosen to spend your life with men who routinely fuck other men.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-20-2012, 04:42 PM
So......

The Gemini Method
01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I think he's old enough to decide for himself just which direction this relationship goes. I know that when I dated an older woman when I was in my early 20's that I didn't have the concept of relational maturity that the woman had at that point in her early 30's, so I knew to be fair to her search of permanence and for my still need to hit on everything, I had to end it. She was pretty cool and though it didn't work out we were friends for 4 or 5 years after the relationship ended. I think offering guidance as a father would be plenty enough to help your son in this matter.

marini martini
01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Damn, reminds me of the time I got thrown out of the Golden Stallion for buying a 16 y.o. a beer! LoL! Good times !!!:toast