PDA

View Full Version : Official "Do you think we can win it all" Thread

chazley
12-27-2011, 03:21 AM
90% of Spurs fans on this forum think the Spurs are not contenders. Personally, I believe the Spurs are right there with the Clippers/Grizzlies/Thunder as West favorites, and I absolutely believe we can win a title. I just want to use this thread as a reference for when the playoffs start and we start making a run, we can see who the true fans really were. Discuss.

lefty
12-27-2011, 03:26 AM
65 games to go

Dex
12-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Matt Bonner: 28 minutes.

You be the judge.

chazley
12-27-2011, 03:36 AM

You be the judge.

When we play Kawhi next to him at the 3, his rebounding deficiencies are going to be covered up because Kawhi is quite obviously going to be an exceptional rebounder for his position. That said, Bonner was horrific tonight. He won't get those minutes consistantly though... 2 of our bigs were in foul trouble from the start. Was nice to see Pop go to Tiago as the third big with no hesitation in the first/third quarters.

That wasn't the point of thread though. The question is, do you believe we can win the championship? I want a reference point for when the season ends.

Robz4000
12-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Spurs have a chance, but it's small as hell. I said previously though, if they can get into the playoffs 100% healthy anything can happen.

Also, Grizz as contenders? lolololol

Fireball
12-27-2011, 03:37 AM
One step at a time ... stay healthy ... play the young guys ... concentrate on defense

LongtimeSpursFan
12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Spurs can win the West. Clearly there is no team that stands out as best team in the West. I know a lot of folks pick OKC to take the West but haven't we been saying that for the past several years? Clips havent had a winning season in years and although they have added tons of talent it does take a while to gel. As far as the Grizz I think they are a one-hit-wonder. They are going to be good but they are not a top three team in the West. Spurs are 10 deep which should help them out in this truncated season.
Can they win it all? It would be tough as Chicago and Heat are very talented. Matchup wise I would prefer the Heat as they are not dominant in the paint. Chicago's interior defense scares me.

scottspurs
12-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Spurs have T.J. Ford. :lobt2:

Robz4000
12-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Can they win it all? It would be tough as Chicago and Heat are very talented. Matchup wise I would prefer the Heat as they are not dominant in the paint. Chicago's interior defense scares me.

Chicago's interior defense is strong, but compared to the Western powers (Lakers, Grizz, etc) they aren't that scary. The real question is can we keep up with Rose and their other talented shooters/scorers? I feel like we could find a way to take Miami in a 7-game series, though it'll depend on if they develop any serious depth (that rookie Cole really surprised me against Dallas).

therealtruth
12-27-2011, 04:08 AM
I think contending will come down to if we can get a defensive lineup that can get stops consistently. The frontcourt of Tim,Tiago, and Kawhi seems very good defensively.

siraulo23
12-27-2011, 04:12 AM
one game

cutewizard
12-27-2011, 04:44 AM
Basketball is a team game, where there are a lot of factors/variables involved....

luck, human resources management, injuries, esp injuries....

barring injury, can we win it all?? YES!!!!!!!!

but, in order to be sure, we need at least TWO more, one of them a really serviceable big, who can come off the bench and give quality minutes so that SPLITTER AND DUNCAN CAN START TOGETHER......................

DesignatedT
12-27-2011, 05:04 AM
I agree that the West (and the NBA) is as wide open as it's ever been recently and that does give this team hope if they can stay healthy.

benefactor
12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Nope.

Giuseppe
12-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Kobe: 5

the shit bag: 5

I God's.

lurker23
12-27-2011, 07:00 AM
As currently constructed? Probably not.

If the Spurs can add a defensive-minded big? They've got a shot.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2011, 07:22 AM
I think the girl in Cutewizard's avatar is smokin'. I hope she's over 21.

TimmehC
12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Nope.

Mel_13
12-27-2011, 10:43 AM
If only they had brought back Roger Mason, Jr. for the MLE...

ChuckD
12-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't care. I follow and enjoy the Spurs, contender or not.

Fabbs
12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Officially giving $1000 to $1 odds.
:pop:

Barfunk
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Checking in with a yes. Good or bad i'll be there, but yes.

ElNono
12-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Nope. *

* as currently constructed. There's still time to make a move or two.

JR3
12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't count the spurs out until Ginobili retires.

Libri
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
There's always a chance. It might be .0001% but it's still a chance. :D

DMX7
12-27-2011, 01:00 PM

You be the judge.

...and we still won.

Fabbs
12-27-2011, 01:04 PM
My offer is being handled by mouse.

Give him your bet for 1000 to 1 payoff potential.

rascal
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
This place would have been on meltdown had the Spurs lost their first game.

Now the opposite is laughable, with the first win.

Horse
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
If the mavs team last year can win anything can happen. Go Spurs Go!

benefactor
12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
* as currently constructed. There's still time to make a move or two.
There is...but it would have to be a Clyde Drexler for Otis Thorpe type move. I just can't see this FO making a move like that happen.

Dex
12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
...and we still won.

Just one game.

I'm not trying to be a hater. I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

But I stick with my convictions that if Bonner is playing more than 10 minutes a game, this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs.

And with the current rotation of bigs, it's almost a given that Bonner will get 15+ minutes every game.

kaji157
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
As long as a team can line up Manu Ginobili they have a chance to win it all.
As long as they can line him up...

Fireball
12-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Jeff van Gundy: "Don't write the Spurs off yet"

That came quite unexpected on Christmas day ...

dunkman
12-27-2011, 02:21 PM
The offense is just too PG/SG/SF oriented, I don't think its probable. I have the impression the Spurs need an all-star bigman to have more success in the playoffs.

Fireball
12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I have the impression the Spurs need an all-star bigman to have more success in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan says hello ...

xellos88330
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I am hopeful.

SA210
12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I believe we definitely can, and we could have last year too. I say with Pop and his stubbornness and crazy brain, that we more than likely won't, if he stays with his stupid new philosophy that has doomed us so many years in a row.

cheguevara
12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
:lmao

one fucking game

urunobili
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
No

chazley
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Those of you saying, "there's always a chance, but..."

That counts as saying we cannot win it this year.

chazley
12-27-2011, 05:03 PM

one fucking game

I've been saying it all offseason. It's not me overreacting to one game, I've consistantly believed it.

angelbelow
12-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Contenders to come out of the west... maybe BUT we're still behind Dallas and the Thunder. Two teams that I don't see us beating in a best of 7. Contenders to win it all? Unlikely.

ElNono
12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Those of you saying, "there's always a chance, but..."

That counts as saying we cannot win it this year.

Why? What's the reasoning behind that?

It's certainly possible that both the Spurs or the other teams will change in ways that Spurs chances increase or decrease. It's not a static league.

z0sa
12-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I never count the Big 3 out!

DMC
12-27-2011, 05:12 PM

one fucking game
We're on a pace to go undefeated.

mystargtr34
12-27-2011, 05:25 PM
If the Spurs stay near the top of Hollinger's defensive efficiency stats.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

Currently number 1 :lol.

mystargtr34
12-27-2011, 05:32 PM
For a perspective of how good the Spurs were defensively against the Grizz (or how bad the Grizz were on O) the Spurs mark of 84.2 points allowed per 100 possessions is pretty damn good... during their heydey (99-2005) the Spurs were around the low to mid 90's iirc. Ignore those numbers from previous seasons on the ESPN link.. they seem way out of whack.

Anyway.. 84.2 is obviously unsustainable and its only 1 game.. but they are good signs. Hopefully we see Splitter starting soon and more Leonard and Anderson to keep that number low.

chazley
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Contenders to come out of the west... maybe BUT we're still behind Dallas and the Thunder. Two teams that I don't see us beating in a best of 7. Contenders to win it all? Unlikely.

Thunder and Mavs are the two teams I believe we're favorites against. Honestly, I could make a case we're a favorite in any matchup when fully healthy except the Grizzlies.

rmt
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
To me, it's all dependent on luck in match-ups. Spurs are weak in paint defense and would be fodder for teams like LA and MEM with offensive, scoring bigs. Not so against DAL, MIA, CHI. Remember it was just '10 that they beat DAL because (even though Dirk is a PF he doesn't really score in the post), SA's backcourt (TP, Manu, Hill) was better than theirs + Dice did a fantastic job on Dirk. And we can always hope for a choke from young teams like OKC, CHI or even Lebron.

It would take a lot of luck and injuries to opposing key players for Spurs to win it all. They don't have enough reliable veterans and Leonard and JA cannot be depended on in crunch time. We already know what's going to happen with Bonner and RJ then.

Yesterday was a fluke - MEM is not going to commit 24 (?) turnovers in a game & those 3pters are going to be taken away in the playoffs rendering RJ and Bonner useless.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Can the Spurs get a high playoff seed in this western conference?

DesignatedT
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Miami and Chicago are in a class of their own right now. If someone other than one of them win it all it would be shocking.

Can the Spurs somehow come out of the West? Definitely, yes. If they stay healthy, get a little help on the front line and if most of the contenders in the West also stay as constructed (Dallas and LA don't make a major move) Then there is no one team in the West that is a for sure thing. The Thunder would be the closest to it but they are by no means a lock to beat us or anyone in a 7 game series.

spurspokesman
12-27-2011, 06:21 PM
90% of Spurs fans on this forum think the Spurs are not contenders. Personally, I believe the Spurs are right there with the Clippers/Grizzlies/Thunder as West favorites, and I absolutely believe we can win a title. I just want to use this thread as a reference for when the playoffs start and we start making a run, we can see who the true fans really were. Discuss.
A part of me says yes and the other part wants to look at the grim reality of no. But we are the only western conf team with long formed cohesion and if pop commits to tiago and the new boyz leaving tim fresh down the stretch and manu we have more than a chance to come out the west. And one injury or bad stretch of play from the eastern conf finalist ala miami last season and boom we are knocking on the door of 5. With all the bad breaks we have gotten lately my gut tells me we have more of a chance this season than last mainly because of the lakers decline, dallas mishaps and having to regain chemistry ditto for clips and thunder prone to giving it up late id say DONT COUNT OUT THE SPURS.

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
They are definitely contenders to win the weak West, if Duncan and Manu stay healthy, and Splitter/Leonard/Anderson can provide production on th defensive end..

Miami is a level ahead of the rest of the league though, so I wouldn't expect a title..

FuzzyLumpkins
12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
To me, it's all dependent on luck in match-ups. Spurs are weak in paint defense and would be fodder for teams like LA and MEM with offensive, scoring bigs. Not so against DAL, MIA, CHI. Remember it was just '10 that they beat DAL because (even though Dirk is a PF he doesn't really score in the post), SA's backcourt (TP, Manu, Hill) was better than theirs + Dice did a fantastic job on Dirk. And we can always hope for a choke from young teams like OKC, CHI or even Lebron.

It would take a lot of luck and injuries to opposing key players for Spurs to win it all. They don't have enough reliable veterans and Leonard and JA cannot be depended on in crunch time. We already know what's going to happen with Bonner and RJ then.

Yesterday was a fluke - MEM is not going to commit 24 (?) turnovers in a game & those 3pters are going to be taken away in the playoffs rendering RJ and Bonner useless.

I watched Blair and Splitter keep Randolph in check all game long. Splitter in particular was contesting shots from everyone and on one possession absolutely owned Randolph on a baseline move defensively. Smothered the move and took the ball away.

If Splitter can continue to develop then we have two legit 7 footers that can defend and rebound.

Blair's problem is he is slow to recognize what his teammates are doing and is a day late most times. He will get guys shooting over the top of him but his post defense from the standpoint of holding the point is pretty good. Bonner is in much the same boat when hes not sleepwalking hes just better and consistent on his rotations.

Its also not to be understated how a 3 that can defend and rebound helps clean up a lot of what the bigs are doing.

Since when is pessimism a virtue?

CosmicCowboy
12-27-2011, 06:31 PM

I'll take that for $20.

BackHome
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
We don't have depth at the 4 and 5 spot so my answer would be NOPE>

Obstructed_View
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Miami and Chicago are in a class of their own right now. If someone other than one of them win it all it would be shocking.

Can the Spurs somehow come out of the West? Definitely, yes. If they stay healthy, get a little help on the front line and if most of the contenders in the West also stay as constructed (Dallas and LA don't make a major move) Then there is no one team in the West that is a for sure thing. The Thunder would be the closest to it but they are by no means a lock to beat us or anyone in a 7 game series.

As shitty as Dallas has looked, it's kind of hard to tell how good Miami might or might not be. Chicago hasn't exactly looked great in barely beating a Bynumless Lakers team and then getting crushed by Golden State.

Dex
12-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I'll take that for $20.

If someone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.

callo1
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
The offense is just too PG/SG/SF oriented

That could be said for 95% of the league. The way the game has changed with the rules, and bigs not playing like bigs anymore, that is expected.

I don't think its probable. I have the impression the Spurs need an all-star bigman to have more success in the playoffs.

I think it is possible, but there certainly needs to be more depth at the 4/5...a true big. Blair starting at the 5 is a joke. Splitter did show some very good promise in the first game. I was impressed by his weak side help and his post defense...it isn't perfect, but certainly improved.

Too bad the Spurs don't have a Chuck Hayes style defender. Last night Hayes one again made Gasoft look bad.

One big, and good fortune (no injuries) away from a better chance.

dunkman
12-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Tim Duncan says hello ...

Duncan was all-star the previous season, but he is more a defensive player at this point. He would need to put 18-20 ppg during the playoffs and do that in efficient way to force double teams.

mingus
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
i don't see how any team as currently contructed is going to beat Miami. they have the best defense and a new and improved up tempo offense, which by the end of the year if not before that will probably be the best offense in the league.

right now i don't think we're coming out of the West. not w/o more size in the frontcourt.

chazley
12-28-2011, 06:37 PM
i don't see how any team as currently contructed is going to beat Miami. they have the best defense and a new and improved up tempo offense, which by the end of the year if not before that will probably be the best offense in the league.

right now i don't think we're coming out of the West. not w/o more size in the frontcourt.

That's ironic, because you just said Miami is unbeatable, yet they have one of the worst frontcourt (4/5) situations in the league. The fact is, perimeter oriented teams actually are better against Miami because if you're a team that depends on low-post scoring, Miami can easily take that advantage away by getting your bigs in foul trouble. That's why Dallas was so effective against them.

therealtruth
12-29-2011, 12:08 AM

You're not going to beat the Heat allowing them to play their game. People forget what happened in the first two games of the Finals before the Mavs started playing smarter. First of all you can't turn the ball over against them. You have to be patient on offense and move the ball. You have to force them into a half court game. You need bigs that can challenge Wade and Lebron.

tlongII
12-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Clippers and Grizzlies? WTF?

timtonymanu
12-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Sixers and Kings? LOL.

chazley
12-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Stay off the bandwagon haters/idiots.

Capt Bringdown
12-29-2011, 05:08 AM
No rings with RJ, Bonner & Blair in the lineup. Book it!

++SaiNt TiAg0++
12-29-2011, 06:34 AM
i have a strange feeling we have a damn good chance!! like i said last year we would have probably won if tiago played from the beginning of last year it wold have saved duncans legs and relieved pressure on blair and dice..provided the right amount of youth big we needed. this year i actually believe pop will either take bonner out of the rotation as a big role to a smaller role. or let him go...

i mean last year i think was bonners last year to prove his ass to the FANS and pop and now we have no confidence in the pansy and i think he even lost confidence in himself. one thing you can say he was doing last year was creating his fools gold fake defense game but he was making buckets and shooting with borrowed confidence.

i mean its the second game guys and he's avoiding the ball and shot and horrid defense as well as being called for all sorts of dumb shit and having leonard Already clean up the bag of shits mess. i think his time is done folks

++SaiNt TiAg0++
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
i still didnt manage to put why b/c im a dumbass sorry but for these last 2 hrs im watching nbatv and im watching durant just kill memphis oh and memphis just lost their pg to a very bad ankle sprain l.a is f@$*#D and so is dallas they screwed up and bad as they ever could of letting tyson chandler walk the soul of that team! so then im thinking well oklahoma is going to probably beat us but not so fast leonard does have a wingspan bigger than shaq's and hands larger than shaq so i look more to the thunder game to see whether or not leonard can step up to the plate and be a defensive rookie star! if so we have a hell of a chance

mystargtr34
12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
It may be too early to say this.. but the team already feels different to last season.

Hindsight is 20-20 but I never felt like the Spurs were truly a contender last season. It was too hard to imagine a team with DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner as the second and third bigs and a 37 year old Dice winning a championship at NBA level. Too many handicaps. Not to mention the lack of perimeter defense and Dicky J effect. The season was fun as hell winning all those games but alot of it felt like fools gold.. and it turned out to be true.

This year.. Splitter, JA, and Leonard go a long way to alleviating alot of those above issues. Problem is the Big 3 are a year older. But we will see.

therealtruth
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I would have felt much better last year if Splitter had played more. JA was injured and came back out of shape so it's harder to make a case for him. The lack of defense and inability to get stops on demand last year made me very uneasy. I like what I am seeing from the defense. Blair seems to be playing smarter. Kawhi and Tiago make up for Bonner's lack of defense and rebounding.

Landon Donofag
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Sean Cagney
12-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Spurs fan here, but HELL NO! Playoff team yes.:lol:lol
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I agree but with your team not winning yet you should be worried about that as well :lol:lol. Neither Spurs or Mavs have a shot at winning it all.

all_heart
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Way too much basketball to be played to say one way or another.. BUT I do think the Spurs need to beef up at the 4/5 spot to be in the picture. I do think Splitter and KL will be the bright points this season.

chazley
12-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Spurs are fine. People are freaking out over a fuckin 5th big man... Come on. Kawhi can play the 4 in a pinch, he basically does anyway when Bonner is on the floor.

chazley
02-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Last chance to get on the bandwagon.

TJastal
02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Last chance to get on the bandwagon.

I'll get on once the spurs make a move to get a legitimate starting big who can play defense next to Duncan. Not a second sooner.

Just keep dreaming that a 20 year old 6'7" rookie is somehow going to be able to help the spurs enough in the paint to get them to the finals and win. Leonard will be extremely lucky to hold his own at his own position of small forward with the best wings of the league, let alone helping Duncan in the paint.

lol

TJastal
02-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Spurs are fine. People are freaking out over a fuckin 5th big man... Come on. Kawhi can play the 4 in a pinch, he basically does anyway when Bonner is on the floor.

That's right. Don't worry guys, Leonard's gonna lock down everyone on defense and shut down the paint all by himself.

DrSteffo
02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Chazley, do you still think we need to bring Roger Mason Jr back to be competitive? Also, I wonder if you still think it's cool to rely on Bonner in the playoffs? Just curious.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-13-2012, 07:22 AM
We have about a 6% chance to win it all IMHO, although I wouldn't be surprised to see us make the WCFs, and if things are clicking at that point any team can win (like last year's Mavs). It's all about whether we can improve the team defence.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2012, 07:39 AM
if we win a title with Bonner and Blair playing 25+ min. I'm gonna jump of the balcony.

Rapper
02-13-2012, 07:46 AM
I think we can win it all

The final will be a spurs-knicks series

bus driver
02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
i believe
:flag:

chazley
02-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Chazley, do you still think we need to bring Roger Mason Jr back to be competitive? Also, I wonder if you still think it's cool to rely on Bonner in the playoffs? Just curious.

The stats bear out that Bonner is our best big man option to pair with both Tiago and Tim. This year, and in previous years, we lean on him because it is necessary, and unavoidable on this team. So, yes, I think we still must rely on Bonner in the playoffs, for better or for worse. We can argue all day whether or not Bonner is good/should be cut/traded, but is a fact that our bigs, (minus Blair) and our team, is better when Bonner is on the court. We aren't winning a title this year with Bonner only getting 10 minutes a game. I'm aware every one tries to avoid that fact, but it is the make up of our team.

I was completely wrong about Roger Mason, and said some regrettable stuff. I'm not afraid to admit when I am/was wrong. All I ever ask for is for a good argument, backed by facts.