PDA

View Full Version : Neal....Ginobili.......Anderson

Ocotillo
12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
If you want a quality big man, one of them has to be part of the deal. That is where the depth is.

spurspokesman
12-27-2011, 09:46 AM
If you want a quality big man, one of them has to be part of the deal. That is where the depth is.

Dont reckon we will land a quality big anytime soon but for IFs sake ill say Neal goes. As much as i like Neal and think worlds of him he is primarily a shooter( deadly at that).But anderson has more size to guard the bigger guards and small 3s and shows potential to be an inside out scorer with respectable shooting ability and to me has a higher ceiling. Ginobilli is a no go. No Manu NO CHANCE.

JR3
12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Dont reckon we will land a quality big anytime soon but for IFs sake ill say Neal goes. As much as i like Neal and think worlds of him he is primarily a shooter( deadly at that).But anderson has more size to guard the bigger guards and small 3s and shows potential to be an inside out scorer with respectable shooting ability and to me has a higher ceiling. Ginobilli is a no go. No Manu NO CHANCE.

I hate to agree, but Neal is the one that would go if I HAD to choose. I hope to not choose though. I think we need to keep neal. I don't trust TJ at the backup PG yet. I think we need to keep our depth and just hope Tiago continues to get better. Bonner is not going to cut it. I'd rather have an unknown big body. One will come up soon I'm sure. He just needs to be able to defend the rim for 5 minutes a night.

The_Worlds_finest
12-27-2011, 11:22 AM
please dont feed the trolls

12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
what he says is true. if the spurs can give up neal for a quality big, they should do it in a heartbeat. most teams are going to want anderson though. he's much younger and has a higher ceiling. not many are going to be looking for a niche SG who is already headed towards his late 20s.

ChuckD
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
The only problem is that a "quality big" will require a large salary as ballast. Neither Neal or Anderson fit that bill.

DAF86
12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, let's trade our best player for a "quality big", that makes sense.

I wouldn't trade any of those guys, in fact the only rotation players I would be willing to trade are Jefferson, Blair, Bonner, Ford and Leonard.

I know that probably those players wouldn't get us much, that's why I prefer to find a good free agent.

spurspokesman
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I hate to agree, but Neal is the one that would go if I HAD to choose. I hope to not choose though. I think we need to keep neal. I don't trust TJ at the backup PG yet. I think we need to keep our depth and just hope Tiago continues to get better. Bonner is not going to cut it. I'd rather have an unknown big body. One will come up soon I'm sure. He just needs to be able to defend the rim for 5 minutes a night.

Good point about neal. I dont want to lose him but we have enougfh shooters. We need a few in and out guys that can score at the rim and around it. Neal can at times but JA will be better equipped to do so. Although neal is the better player at the moment and opne of my faves. He also has a little value do to his clutch gene and level of play.

VBM
12-27-2011, 04:30 PM
that's why I prefer to find a good free agent.

Thing is, the good free agents don't sign with San Antonio. :nope

Gagnrath
12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I think you could package Neal or anderson + Jefferson for a bigman to many teams that haven't used their waiver yet. They then waive Jefferson and then thing slide into place.

spurs10
12-27-2011, 04:53 PM
The only problem is that a "quality big" will require a large salary as ballast. Neither Neal or Anderson fit that bill.
This is the truth. I'm beginning to wonder if Joseph and Green go for some larger rookies, D-leaguers, or someone we can get with the LLE...
:flag:

BackHome
12-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Why on earth would you want to trade Anderson the kid is our future? As far as trades the only guys who don't do the job done is RJ and Bonner and out of them both Bonner hurts us the most. He is a big who can't guard bigs, who can't rebound, who can't create his own shot, who can't block shots, who can't hit a mid range shot....He just plain CAN'T play...lol

Ocotillo
12-27-2011, 06:55 PM
All I am saying is if you are going to get a quality big, you have to trade for him.

I'm just a fan, I get emotionally attached to these guys as much as the next fan but you have to give something to get something.

Everyone wants to trade Bonner or Jefferson, nobody wants them. For a trade to happen, the other team has to want to do it.

If you package one of our shooting guards with either Bonner or Jefferson, then maybe you can get something back.

Otherwise, we will be signing someone's cast off before too long.

8FOR!3
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
You can't trade Ginobili or Anderson. Ginobili's our best player and Anderson's got a lot of potential. With Gary Neal you know what you've got with him; a lights out shooter that's a role player. If I HAD to trade one, it'd be Neal. But he's more valuable than anything you're going to get for him.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Manu and Anderson are the only two guys on the team who can play 2 or 3. Neal is the reason the Spurs traded Hill. Fail thread.

jjktkk
12-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Manu and Anderson are the only two guys on the team who can play 2 or 3. Neal is the reason the Spurs traded Hill. Fail thread.

Neal, and Anderson too. I personally do not want to trade Neal, but the g position has depth, so if the Spurs could land a big, Neal could possibly be included in a trade.

shorttotry
12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
None of them... Unfortunately/ fortunately we are stacked at the SG. With no question you do not trade Manu. And for the time being let Anderson's and Neal"s value acquire. Right now, Spurs are not going to get what they're really worth. I love both of them and would hate to see them go, but it's gonna happen eventually. I'd prefer it be when they're actually worth something.

angelbelow
12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I actually don't think Neal has any trade value. Hes going to continue be valuable for us because hes still an under the radar player. He fits our team well because of what he brings to the table and the fact that from a character standpoint, he fits in with the Spurs philosophy so well. As far as him being a prospect that teams around the NBA are actively after.. is a big question mark.

jjktkk
12-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I actually don't think Neal has any trade value. Hes going to continue be valuable for us because hes still an under the radar player. He fits our team well because of what he brings to the table and the fact that from a character standpoint, he fits in with the Spurs philosophy so well. As far as him being a prospect that teams around the NBA are actively after.. is a big question mark.

You would have to sweeten the trade, for ex. Blair, and or draft pick, along with Neal. Considering last season and the playoffs, I believe GM's around the league know all about Neal.

ChuckD
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM

An All Rookie team player who makes less than one million? Are you kidding me? Being clutch as hell is just the cherry on top.

Trust me. They got a LOT of calls about Neal, and some nice offers. You don't get good cheap players very often in this league.

GSH
12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I think "quality big man" means someone who is a proven top performer. And 100% of those guys will come with a price tag that is greater than Neal's or Anderson's current salary. Which means that the only realistic name on that list is Ginobili. Like it or not, the Spurs have to match salaries.

Our best shot at getting a big good enough to contribute, at a price we could afford, was an international player. I'm talking about a guy who is a question mark, as far as the NBA is concerned, but who could potentially step up big if given an opportunity. The Hornets signed Gustavo Ayon for just a shade over $1M. The Spurs had looked at him, and I was really hoping they could make a deal happen. I think he'll be a solid role player.

Neal definitely has trade value. He was the steal of the year last season. If he follows up with a good season this year, he's going to sign for a lot more money to re-sign him. He won't be as big of a bargain next season. (i.e. he will have earned a lot more money.) But while he has trade value, it's not enough to, say, package with Jefferson, to get someone to take his terrible contract.

"Quality bigs" are out of our grasp. Think "adequate role player"... and even then keep your fingers crossed.

TD 21
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
They could probably get Patterson, Thompson or Speights (though he's not the Spurs type) right now if they really wanted to and do so without parting with Anderson (Ginobili and Neal, they flat out won't trade; Anderson, they'd only trade if they were blown away). I'd prefer Patterson out of the bunch. They should offer Blair, Green and a 1st for Patterson, Adrien and a 2nd.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah, let's trade our best player for a "quality big", that makes sense.

I wouldn't trade any of those guys, in fact the only rotation players I would be willing to trade are Jefferson, Blair, Bonner, Ford and Leonard.

I know that probably those players wouldn't get us much, that's why I prefer to find a good free agent.

Since when did Neal become our best player?

I've been saying this for a while - Neal is great (I'm not a hater). But, he's largely a one trick pony. Anderson is bigger, better on D and can play some 3 (in a pinch). Trading Neal makes the most sense IF (and only if) you get a fairly quality big. Most likely, Neal will have to be packaged w/ someone else; like Blair, Jefferson or even a prospect (D leaguer).

Don't trade Neal, or anyone else for junk, but if the right deal comes along (say Ryan Anderson-Orlando; Tyler Hansbrough, Indy; Carlos Boozer, Chi; Brian Cook, LA Clip; Andray Blatche, Wash; Anderson Varejao, Cleve; Amir Johnson, Tor) then I say investigate the possibilities.

A PF who's at least 6'9", can play some D, can get rebounds and can score hustle buckets is exactly what is needed!

DAF86
12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Out of Neal, Ginobili and Anderson who do you think I could have said that of?

8FOR!3
12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I like Tyler Hansbrough, but I doubt he's tradable. Though it does seem like Indiana's got plenty of big guys.

DAF86
12-27-2011, 11:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6u28f38

So, I did Varejao (7,7 mil/4years) for TJ Ford (8,5 mil/1 year) and the trade worked, but that can't be right, right? Ford making 8.5 mil has to be a mistake, can somebody please tell me how much is he making? Thanks in advance.

ducks
12-27-2011, 11:47 PM
trade duncan for bosh

angelbelow
12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
An All Rookie team player who makes less than one million? Are you kidding me? Being clutch as hell is just the cherry on top.

Trust me. They got a LOT of calls about Neal, and some nice offers. You don't get good cheap players very often in this league.

I hear what you're saying, but Neal, for that reason, is difficult to trade. You would have to pair him with someone to match contracts/salaries.. at that point who do we pair with him? Bonner would be ideal, but no team would take on his contract with only Neal as a deal sweetener. I don't see a team being desperate enough for Neal's service to eat a bad contract. Just about every rotation big makes the MLE, we would have to package at least Neal and Bonner.

And lol, I have to trust you on the Spurs getting "Lots" of calls and some "nice" offers? Sure why not, sounds legit. IMO, spurs probably did get calls about Neal, but talks either sucked or never led to anything substantial.

GSH
12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6u28f38

So, I did Varejao (7,7 mil/4years) for TJ Ford (8,5 mil/1 year) and the trade worked, but that can't be right, right? Ford making 8.5 mil has to be a mistake, can somebody please tell me how much is he making? Thanks in advance.

The Spurs are paying Ford about $1.1M. But nobody would trade Varejao for Ford, even if the salaries did match.

DAF86
12-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, probably not. I was trying to look for big/long term contracts on teams that are going nowhere and would likely want to get expirings and Varejao was the first one that pop out.

Obstructed_View
12-28-2011, 03:06 AM
Neal, and Anderson too. I personally do not want to trade Neal, but the g position has depth, so if the Spurs could land a big, Neal could possibly be included in a trade.

The Spurs shot 33 three pointers in game one and hit ten. The Spurs are going to be running plays to jack up threes whether Neal's here or not.

Tyrone Jenkins
12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Out of Neal, Ginobili and Anderson who do you think I could have said that of?

I would assume Ginobili but he was in the same sentence as the other two...