PDA

View Full Version : Blazers Insider: Marcus Camby's veteran play helps hold Trail Blazers together

tlongII
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/12/blazers_insider_marcus_cambys_veteran_play_helps_h .html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/marcus-camby-divesjpg-96b662e06ec45213.jpg
The Blazers' Marcus Camby and Philadelphia's Thaddeus Young battle for a loose ball.

After the Trail Blazers' season-opening victory over Philadelphia on Monday, there will be plenty of talk about the production of LaMarcus Aldridge, the grit of Gerald Wallace, the flash of Jamal Crawford and the pace of Raymond Felton.

None of it matters, though, unless ageless center Marcus Camby is there to hold it all together.

So go ahead and applaud Aldridge's 25 points. Marvel at Wallace's street-fighter-like 21 points and nine rebounds. Get excited about Crawford's play in that decisive fourth-quarter run, when he was a whirlwind of slicing drives, swishing shots and swirling passes.

Just don't forget what Captain Camby did during the Blazers' 107-103 opening-night win.

Camby, whom the Blazers players voted co-captain with Aldridge, finished with six points, 13 rebounds, six assists, two blocks and stood his ground to take a crucial charge from Philadelphia guard Jrue Holliday with 1:29 left and the Blazers leading by six.

None of them figures to make the evening highlights, but the Blazers don't win without them.

"Winning plays," Camby said. "That's what I'm about."

The people who don't make headlines, or cut highlights, understand what Camby did Monday.

"A big, big, key to tonight's game," Coach Nate McMillan said of his 37-year-old center.

He did a little bit of everything. Twice he took that long, looping jumper that makes you groan. He hit it once. He threw lobs to Aldridge. He came in all elbows and kneecaps into the photographers, all to save a ball. That was moments after he sent Sections 107 and 108 into wild laughter by swatting an Evan Turner shot deep into the stands.

What was so funny?

"I said, 'Get that shhhhhhh ... out of here!'" Camby said, his machine-gun laugh filling the locker room.

If there is a worry this season with the Blazers, it's the center position. Camby and Kurt Thomas are the oldest tandem in the league. Chris Johnson is springy, but unproven. So when Camby didn't play in the Fan Fest scrimmage because of a sore back, then didn't play in the second exhibition game after tweaking his left knee in shootaround, more than a few stomachs turned with nerves around One Center Court.

There are better players on this Blazers team, but there might not be a more important one than Camby.

I thought that before the Blazers season began, simply because of the depth issues. But I believe it now after once again being reminded how intelligent, unselfish and talented Camby is on the court. And that's not even getting into how much of a nuturing teammate he is, from the meals he orders for the locker room on the road to the Super Bowl parties and Final Four gatherings he holds for the players at his home.

Camby said he missed the Fan Fest because he finds the scrimmage "tedious." And he said if the exhibition game in Utah meant anything, he would have played. Surely, there were some who questioned whether Camby would go on Monday, considering his past injury history.

See, there have been times in his career when people have questioned whether Camby plays hurt. Whether he gives a team his all.

In my experience with him in Portland, I haven't seen that. I remember in after Game 2 in last season's playoffs, seeing his hand as swollen as a turkey leg. His voice was raised when he told the team doctors that he was not going to be X-rayed and he would be ready to play Game 3. And he did play.

"That was early on in my career," Camby said of the bad rap. "Everyone plays hurt. I've been playing hurt since I got here. But I don't worry about that. I want to be held accountable for what I bring the team on the court."

On Monday, he was not only accountable. He was essential.