PDA

View Full Version : Marino > Brees

4>0rings
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
In the year of pussified QB's, Breeze steps into the lime light to take the trophy. Touch Brees, Rodgers, or Brady and it's a yellow flag.

Want to hit a receiver to knock the ball loose? You guessed it flag... it's a super soft league now.

You can thank Brady going down and their fans immediately crying for action from Goodell for pussifying the league.

Enjoy the asterisk next to the title Brees, *soft league, it's going to suck that anytime your record is mentioned, the asterisk is going to be brought up.

Switch Marino with Brees and put a yellow flag on the ground and you get the current NFL
http://thebottlenose.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dan_marino-sf.jpg?w=490

Barry Bonds has the homerun title... yeah but...

scott
12-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Gonna be awkward when Brees sits half the game Sunday and Brady ends up with the Single Season Passing Record

TE
12-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Good point, I wonder how any of the great 80's QB's would fare in this league. Players adapt to rules and shit like that, so I think if there would be any difference in play it would be negligible from production standpoint. You can't take anything away from Drew Bree's season though. He IS the Saints tbh.

Kai
12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
What he OP fails to mention is the fact that Brees' YPG average is a greater gap between the league average than Marino's was when he had his record year.

leemajors
12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
What he OP fails to mention is the fact that Brees' YPG average is a greater gap between the league average than Marino's was when he had his record year.

Marino's lasted 27 years, Brees' record may not last this season. And db's could actually play defense then.

4>0rings
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Gonna be awkward when Brees sits half the game Sunday and Brady ends up with the Single Season Passing Record

Just adds to my point. Marinos record lasted 25+ years and now that the league is soft, you have 2 QB's that could break Marinos record. :rolleyes

Pelicans78
12-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Brees ain't sitting half the game Sunday. Saints need to win in order to have a chance for the 2nd seed bye. Their game is going on at the same time as the 49ers.

Marino's 1984 season is by far the best season a QB has and will ever have.

BRHornet45
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Brady ain't passing Brees you fool lol. Brees is nearly 200 yards ahead of him and will throw all over the Panthers. Son players in all pro sports get bigger and stronger and better every year so who is to say that Marino would have been able to throw 5000 yards if he had been dealing with the much more athletic and better defenders you see today.

Your argument is downright silly and it shows just how mad you are about Brees and the Saints success.

leemajors
12-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Brady ain't passing Brees you fool lol. Brees is nearly 200 yards ahead of him and will throw all over the Panthers. Son players in all pro sports get bigger and stronger and better every year so who is to say that Marino would have been able to throw 5000 yards if he had been dealing with the much more athletic and better defenders you see today.

Your argument is downright silly and it shows just how mad you are about Brees and the Saints success.

I'm not mad at them at all, I just think it is obvious what Marino did was more impressive. The NFL is an offense driven league now, and the rules changes have made it easier. It has nothing to do with Brees himself, he is just playing under current rules which benefit him.

Spursfan092120
12-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Duh....the rules have changed a lot to favor the QB...Marino is better than Brees..but today, I don't think Brady is any better than Brees.

BRHornet45
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Marino never had what it took to win the big game and he has a complete career for people to look at. If Brees has another 2 or 3 solid years then there is absolutely no question that Brees will go down in history as the better QB. Brees is also likely to be the most accurate passer in the game as well. If he played on the Packers or the Bears or Cowboys, etc. then many of you would be singing a different tune, but he plays for the Saints and most people in Texas hate the Saints. That has A LOT to do with some of your mindsets and opinions tbh.

Spursfan092120
12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Marino never had what it took to win the big game and he has a complete career for people to look at. If Brees has another 2 or 3 solid years then there is absolutely no question that Brees will go down in history as the better QB. Brees is also likely to be the most accurate passer in the game as well. If he played on the Packers or the Bears or Cowboys, etc. then many of you would be singing a different tune, but he plays for the Saints and most people in Texas hate the Saints. That has A LOT to do with some of your mindsets and opinions tbh.
Now son..don't go there...I dig the Saints, and love Brees (you do know he's from Austin, right??) I'm just sayin the rules have changed, and you can have a lot more confidence in the pocket knowing you're not getting headhunted out there. I think, at this moment, Marino's career was better than Brees. That could (and probably will) change. At this moment though, Marino had a better career imo.

scott
12-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Brees ain't sitting half the game Sunday. Saints need to win in order to have a chance for the 2nd seed bye. Their game is going on at the same time as the 49ers.

Marino's 1984 season is by far the best season a QB has and will ever have.

Except there is a giant scoreboard that will likely show the Niners curbstomping the Rams by the end of the 1st Quarter. Why would Sean Payton risk an injury to Brees at that point?

NE, on the other hand, must win to clinch the #1 seed, and Bilichick has proven to be a classless fuckwad who will go for records. I doubt NE calls a run :lol

(btw, I hope Brees finishes with the record - he's a great dude and great QB who deserves it)

BanditHiro
12-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Except there is a giant scoreboard that will likely show the Niners curbstomping the Rams by the end of the 1st Quarter. Why would Sean Payton risk an injury to Brees at that point?

NE, on the other hand, must win to clinch the #1 seed, and Bilichick has proven to be a classless fuckwad who will go for records. I doubt NE calls a run :lol

(btw, I hope Brees finishes with the record - he's a great dude and great QB who deserves it)

sean payton is a stat-padder himself so i think brees keeps it

Trill Clinton
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
5 star thread

leemajors
12-28-2011, 01:17 PM
For me growing up, I watched Elway and Marino whenever they were on TV and the Boys were not playing. Elway cause he threw the ball so damn hard, and Marino for the lightning quick release. I don't really ever feel compelled to watch Brees, tho what he has done is impressive. Those two were some of the most naturally gifted QBs I have ever seen.

stretch
12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
In the year of pussified QB's, Breeze steps into the lime light to take the trophy. Touch Brees, Rodgers, or Brady and it's a yellow flag.

Want to hit a receiver to knock the ball loose? You guessed it flag... it's a super soft league now.

You can thank Brady going down and their fans immediately crying for action from Goodell for pussifying the league.

Enjoy the asterisk next to the title Brees, *soft league, it's going to suck that anytime your record is mentioned, the asterisk is going to be brought up.

Switch Marino with Brees and put a yellow flag on the ground and you get the current NFL
http://thebottlenose.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dan_marino-sf.jpg?w=490

Barry Bonds has the homerun title... yeah but...

WTF are you talking about?

QBs still get the shit knocked out of them every game. It's mostly the cheapshots of going at their knees when they are unable to defend themselves and are mainly focused on passing the ball. We saw three cases in recent years of how that fucked entire seasons and even careers up:

Tom Brady - missing the playoffs after an undefeated season

Carson Palmer - losing to an inferior Steelers team in the playoffs and never having been the same QB since then, after being a top 5, maybe top 3 QB

Daunte Culpepper - completely sucked ass and was out of the league shortly after his knee got blown up, after having put up some great numbers

You can deliver a devastating hit without going for the head or knees, and not get a flag at all. It's the morons like James Harrison who try to purposely injure people, that are the reason for these rule changes. Also, check out how fucked up a lot of players are after their careers are over from all these injuries... injuries that could have easily been prevented if a player didn't pull a cheapshot by going for the opponents head.

Life is more important than any football game. Unfortunately fucking idiots like you dont understand that.

4>0rings
12-28-2011, 04:41 PM
WTF are you talking about?

QBs still get the shit knocked out of them every game. It's mostly the cheapshots of going at their knees when they are unable to defend themselves and are mainly focused on passing the ball. We saw three cases in recent years of how that fucked entire seasons and even careers up:

Tom Brady - missing the playoffs after an undefeated season

Carson Palmer - losing to an inferior Steelers team in the playoffs and never having been the same QB since then, after being a top 5, maybe top 3 QB

Daunte Culpepper - completely sucked ass and was out of the league shortly after his knee got blown up, after having put up some great numbers

You can deliver a devastating hit without going for the head or knees, and not get a flag at all. It's the morons like James Harrison who try to purposely injure people, that are the reason for these rule changes. Also, check out how fucked up a lot of players are after their careers are over from all these injuries... injuries that could have easily been prevented if a player didn't pull a cheapshot by going for the opponents head.

Life is more important than any football game. Unfortunately fucking idiots like you dont understand that.
If you don't like your job and it's unsafe for you, get another one. It's a physical game, injuries are going to happen. Every player accepts this playing in the NFL, you can't though.

I'm not going to start a career in boxing and think everything's going to be OK after I'm hit in the head by gorillas for 10 years.

I'm not even going to start on how these rules affect tackling, cause it does, and therefore changes the game.

You're basically agreeing that QB's need special rules on how they are tackled, so their teams can stay uninjured. So, why not go to a flag football setup, you'll never have an injury from a tackle. You can't pick and choose who gets injured and who shouldn't get injured.

There is a reason 1 QB beat Marinos record and another on track in the same year so soon after Goodell rewrote some rules.

In real sports, there is always that risk that everything's on the line. Go watch swimming.

Yeah life is so important to these players, after the fact.

JoeTait75
12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Marino never had what it took to win the big game

Like a defense, you mean?

monosylab1k
12-29-2011, 11:52 AM

I'd love for you to prove that any Patriots fans appealing for the league to change the rules after Brady went down. We all were pissed, and we all hated Bernard Pollard, but find someone requesting that the league change the rules?

As far as any non-Patriots fans asking for a rule change, I'm pretty sure every last one of you faggots was cheering when the injury happened.

monosylab1k
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Anyways anybody with a brain knows that the rules changes to benefit offenses started in 2004 after Polian cried to the league about the Patriots DB's being too physical and forcing Peyton Manning to play like ass in the AFC Championship Game.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
I had no idea Patriots fans controlled what the league does :lol

I feel important :lmao

Bill_Brasky
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Guys.

If 2 people break a record in the same year, that record obviously doesn't count.

stretch
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
If you don't like your job and it's unsafe for you, get another one. It's a physical game, injuries are going to happen. Every player accepts this playing in the NFL, you can't though.

I'm not going to start a career in boxing and think everything's going to be OK after I'm hit in the head by gorillas for 10 years.

I'm not even going to start on how these rules affect tackling, cause it does, and therefore changes the game.

You're basically agreeing that QB's need special rules on how they are tackled, so their teams can stay uninjured. So, why not go to a flag football setup, you'll never have an injury from a tackle. You can't pick and choose who gets injured and who shouldn't get injured.

There is a reason 1 QB beat Marinos record and another on track in the same year so soon after Goodell rewrote some rules.

In real sports, there is always that risk that everything's on the line. Go watch swimming.

Yeah life is so important to these players, after the fact.

I fully agree, that injuries are going to happen. It's part of the game.

Attempting to purposely injure a player by targeting either a weak or defenseless area, is NOT a neccesary part of the game. A player can perform a wrap up tackle, going at a high speed and do their job of tackling the player to the ground with force, and not have to hit the head of their opponent. That's the point, that people are taking unneccesary excessive steps in order to "tackle" a player, by launching their shoulder pads at their opponents helmets, or by diving full force at the knees of someone who is completely defenseless, KNOWING that their intent is not just to tackle them, but to injure them out of the game.

For your boxing illustration, it would be like if someone started swinging at the opponents nuts, in order to gain an upper hand. It would be complete bullshit, and is not a neccesary part of the sport.

Intentionally injuring players is not a neccesary part of football, and the league is trying to get rid of garbage like that.

Gagnrath
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
The changes to the rules help the offenses in the league quite a bit. This is also true of wide receivers, some of the things that I have seen a receiver do this year and last would rarely have been attempted in the past because getting hit stretched out in the air hurts alot. I know this from high school football, can't imagine how it would feel with a nfl strong safety doing the hitting.

I don't think this takes away from Brees beating the record he plays under the rules set forth for him but it is also interesting that with all the rules changes in the last couple of years offenses have gotten more free wheeling to allow multiple quarterbacks this year to challenge that offensive stat.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM

rofl

monosylab1k
12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
rofl

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/sports/football/19colts.html

Belichick, celebrated for his cerebral approach to football, took a cruder stance. He wanted a brawl and he instructed his players to hit the Colts’ receivers hard every chance they had. The strategy was called rerouting, and what it meant was that instead of Colts receivers going unimpeded to where Manning expected them to be, the Patriots rerouted them — shoving is a more precise term — until the timing of the pass patterns was so off that the plays were useless.

“This was probably the most simple game plan we had,” cornerback Ty Law, with the Patriots at the time and now with the Kansas City Chiefs, said after that game. “Just beat them up.”

Bill Polian’s face tightened when he recalled the game. Polian, the Colts’ president, was angered by how the Patriots played. No wonder. When it was over, when Marvin Harrison had been jostled out of the game plan, when the Patriots had intercepted Manning four times, the rest of the N.F.L. had its blueprint for stopping the Colts. The Colts also had their reputation for finesse play cemented, the Patriots were on their way to building a dynasty — they went on to win their second of three Super Bowls — and the National Football League had a rules issue on its hands.

“I give the Patriots great credit for what they did,” Polian said in an interview this week. “I won’t go beyond that.”

The National Football League eventually did, with Polian’s prodding. The following off-season, the league issued a point of emphasis edict from the competition committee about how defensive holding and illegal contact would be officiated. Since then, defenders have had to be more careful about touching receivers beyond the first 5 yards of a play.

rofl indeed

dirk4mvp
12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=HHP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=2kYbv26C_E5SNM:&imgrefurl=http://deadspin.com/bernard-pollard/&docid=eUGEy5leUpQ3QM&imgurl=http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/09/340x.jpg&w=340&h=435&ei=xOX8TrmYNILcggfog92bAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=502&vpy=235&dur=52&hovh=254&hovw=198&tx=80&ty=104&sig=116806929915209845744&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=127&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&biw=1024&bih=602

monosylab1k
12-29-2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=HHP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=2kYbv26C_E5SNM:&imgrefurl=http://deadspin.com/bernard-pollard/&docid=eUGEy5leUpQ3QM&imgurl=http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/09/340x.jpg&w=340&h=435&ei=xOX8TrmYNILcggfog92bAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=502&vpy=235&dur=52&hovh=254&hovw=198&tx=80&ty=104&sig=116806929915209845744&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=127&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&biw=1024&bih=602

good one!

Obstructed_View
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Like a defense, you mean?

Defense AND a running game, tbh.

4>0rings
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow, so many bandwagon Pat fans are still asshurt about Bradys knee :lol

4>0rings
12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Guys.

If 2 people break a record in the same year, that record obviously doesn't count.

After rules were changed to benefit that position, it counts... just not as much as Marinos.

No one is EVER going to talk about Brees's new record without bringing up Marino, just like no one ever talks about Bonds record without roids.

resistanze
01-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Add Matthew Stafford to the 5,000 yard club! :lol