PDA

View Full Version : Article on Player Performances on Opening Night. Thoughts please?

The ADMIRAL 50
12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello fellow Spurstalkers,
I am hoping this season to write for a very small Spurs blog called Spursofthemoment.com. I have one article up there now, on the new CBA, but I think its too wordy. I am getting the site operator to post this article, but first the world of Spurstalk gets an exclusive (and highly anticipated I'm sure) sneak peek. I would love to hear your thoughts on the article specifically, as well as spark a discussion on the content of the article; the performances in last nights contest of Manu, Leonard, Splitter, RJ, Anderson, and Bonner. Its a pretty long article, though, I hope, an effective one. Let me know what you think if you like.

OPENING NIGHT PERFORMANCES

Last night I had the good fortune to get a last minute invite to the Spurs season opener against the Memphis Grizzlies. Beaten down by a long week of work and illness, followed by a long weekend of good times in my hometown, tied up with previous plans in place and faced with a daunting, late-night drive back to Austin ahead of me, I naturally jumped at the chance. The people of San Antonio were more than ready for the return of their Spurs, and, needless to say, the stadium was rocking from the tip. The Spurs rode the home crowd through an offensively offensive first quarter to a one point halftime deficit, before completely locking down the Grizz in the third, building a big lead, and finishing the night with a 95-82 victory and a 1-0 start to the season. Rather than further recap the game in length, this article will focus on a few individual Spurs of interest, and what we can take away from their performances on opening night.

Manu Ginobili (by far a team high +17 when on the floor) – What can be said about San Antonio’s fearless Argentine that hasn’t been already? A classic performance from Manu, as, once again, he did it all last night. I remember one point, very early on in the game, I looked up at the score board to check Manu’s stats. So amazed was I with his heart and hustle, I simply had to check, and what did I see? 0 points, 0 fouls, 2 assists, and 1 rebound. Not the type of line that most players would be satisfied with, even in the first quarter, but, at that point, Manu had to have already taken two charges, drawn at least three offensive fouls of some kind in total, and gotten at least one of his three steals. Manu was the heart and soul of the team last night, and if he has many more games like this 24 point, 5 rebound, 4 assist, 3 steal, 1 block performance, the Spurs should be in for one heck of a season.

Kawhi Leonard – Leonard made his NBA debut last night, and the nerves were obvious. In his first trip to the line Leonard missed two free throws, and, later on, got his “Welcome to the NBA” moment via a Rudy Gay strip and steal that led to a monster dunk from the Memphis forward. Leonard simply couldn’t get anything going offensively at first, and yet his impact was impossible to miss. Unable to hit a shot from the field, Leonard helped his team with a flurry of hard-nosed rebounds and steals, using those legendary massive hands to wreak havoc on defense and poke away the ball time and again. Leaving the game I honestly though Leonard had more steals than the two in the box score, but such is the disruptive force of Leonard’s style of play. An offensive rebound and put back led to one of Leonard’s two field goals, but it was the other that truly impressed. In the Spurs highlight of the night, Leonard drained a corner three after a behind the back dish from Ginobili following the veteran’s sick crossover and split of two defenders. There was an audible “ooo,” from the crowd, and the pressure was definitely on the rookie to make the shot, and after he once again rose to the occasion for the Spurs (preseason game winner, anyone?) the stadium rewarded him with perhaps its biggest roar of the night. When it was all said and done, Leonard finished with 6 points on a disappointing 2 of 9 shooting, 6 rebounds (4 offensive), 2 steals, and an assist in just 14 minutes.

Tiago Splitter – With Tim Duncan in foul trouble all night, Splitter played 33 minutes, tied with Tony Parker for the most on the team, and was a really big part of the Spurs’ victory. Offensively, Splitter left a lot to be desired, shooting 2 of 7 from the field with both buckets coming off of nice assists. Defensively, Splitter was a force. Splitter was a huge part of a Spurs defense that forced Memphis into committing 24 turnovers, and held Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph to a combined 23 points and 12 boards. The Brazilian big man finished the night with 2 steals and 2 blocks to go along with his 5 points and a solid 8 boards.

Richard Jefferson – The embattled RJ did exactly what the Spurs needed him to on opening night. After an offseason which saw him narrowly escape the amnesty axe, Jefferson came out last night like a professional and dropped 14 points on a solid 5 of 11 effort from the field, including 3 of 7 from behind the arc. Most impressively, with the big three on the bench for a stretch in the second quarter, Jefferson scored two or three buckets while he and the Spurs reserves regained the lead.

James Anderson – A lot of people in the Spurs fan base are expecting a lot of things from the second year Anderson after his rookie campaign was cut short by injury. Anderson got 21 minutes in the opener, getting a nice 9 points on 4 of 9 shooting, though he went a disappointing 1 of 5 from three point range. What impressed me most about Anderson wasn’t apparent in the box score. From the minute he stepped on the court until the end of the game, Anderson was ready to shoot. The former Big 12 scoring champ was fearlessly looking for his shot all night long, yet he played within himself throughout the game and very rarely forced it.

Matt Bonner – Oh dear. Where to begin? Bonner had one of those incredible absentee performances that, especially upon seeing how many minutes he was out on the floor later, truly boggles the mind. In 28 minutes (fifth most on the squad), Bonner managed to grab exactly ZERO rebounds, while scoring three points on 1 of 6 shooting (1 of 5 from downtown), getting two assists, and posting a donut in every other statistical category. How this line is possible for a 6’10’’ man in 28 minutes of play is entirely beyond comprehension, though one thing that is easy to understand is the soon to be reignited vitriol sputtering forth from many Spurs fans toward the Red Rocket.

Go Spurs Go :flag:

spurs10
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks! I was at the game and concur on all your observations. That 2nd half was full of redemption and a great defensive performance! Looking forward to the Clippers...

thOOdee
12-27-2011, 11:17 PM
great article, everything on par. LOVED the bonner observation.

urunobili
12-27-2011, 11:30 PM
good write up!

DMC
12-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Good article, was it written by a Brit? j/k

Nathan Explosion
12-28-2011, 12:28 AM
You missed one thing. Even though Bonner is listed as a PF, on offense he played more of a SF position with Leonard playing lower in the block. I know Bonner is a 3 pt threat so he never plays in the block, but it was interesting to see our SF grabbing rebounds like a PF, something that almost never happens.

One of the things that has killed the Spurs in the past is athletic SF that rebound. Seems the Spurs finally got one of their own. When the Spurs go small ball, maybe, just maybe, they have a guy to plug in at the 4 that can actually hold the fort for a few minutes with his rebounding and defense.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks! I was at the game and concur on all your observations. That 2nd half was full of redemption and a great defensive performance! Looking forward to the Clippers...
I definitely concur with all of those observations as well

great article, everything on par. LOVED the bonner observation.
Bonner just does that way too often. Nothing. That's really what bugs me the most.

good write up!

Good article, was it written by a Brit? j/k
:lol not from England, just an English major

Thanks spurs10, thOOdee, urunobili, & DMC :toast

The ADMIRAL 50
12-28-2011, 02:45 AM
You missed one thing. Even though Bonner is listed as a PF, on offense he played more of a SF position with Leonard playing lower in the block. I know Bonner is a 3 pt threat so he never plays in the block, but it was interesting to see our SF grabbing rebounds like a PF, something that almost never happens.

One of the things that has killed the Spurs in the past is athletic SF that rebound. Seems the Spurs finally got one of their own. When the Spurs go small ball, maybe, just maybe, they have a guy to plug in at the 4 that can actually hold the fort for a few minutes with his rebounding and defense.

Thanks for the feed back Nathan Explosion :toast

I agree about your assessment of Leonard, it's great to have this type of player as a new, young addition to the Spurs. Personally I would love to live in a world where he didn't have to play the 4, and continue to exploit mismatches on the wing with his size. He really is just the athletic 3 the Spurs have been lacking for ages. Sadly, with our roster it's inevitable, and I would certainly agree with you that some minutes Bonner spends at the 4 could start being given to Kawhi today and the Spurs would be better off for it.

Good point. The difference really is, at the 3, Kawhi is a nose-for-the-ball, scrappy, very good rebounder and RJ isn't. I would say Bonner is playing the same position he always plays on offense, but instead of having a SF like Jefferson just standing on the perimeter not really doing much of anything, the frontcourt instead boasts Leonard. I think he will find himself mostly in the same positions RJ does on offense, the difference will be that Leonard's natural rebounding and hustling skills, along with his currently lesser perimeter game, will have him gravitate inside more often, especially when shots are going up.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
The article is up now on SpursOfTheMoment.com (http://Spursofthemoment.com), I'm going to try to spiff it up with some images at some point if the site operator gives me the clearance to edit stuff on the site. Be sure to check the site out all season long for new posts, I'll try to get some content up there pretty regularly and there are two others writers as well. I'd also love to see some comments on the page, and will definitely answer any questions and engage with any fans who post comments on the site. Hopefully by season's end we can be a respectable Spurs blog with solid traffic. Thanks again for the feedback and praise!

:flag:

dylankerouac
12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Great article! I look forward to more.

Drz
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Overall good, but here's some constructive criticism. As you said, it's needlessly wordy. For example:

"I remember one point, very early on in the game, I looked up at the score board to check Manu’s stats. So amazed was I with his heart and hustle, I simply had to check, and what did I see? 0 points, 0 fouls, 2 assists, and 1 rebound. Not the type of line that most players would be satisfied with, even in the first quarter, but, at that point, Manu had to have already taken two charges, drawn at least three offensive fouls of some kind in total, and gotten at least one of his three steals."

... that's just part of the paragraph on Manu, and it contains a lot of information that neither adds to the educational content (your opinion/view of the Spurs) nor to the entertaintment value (storytelling). I think you were going for the latter, but to me, the first few sentences were extremely long and without content, and it made me not want to finish the article. I would concentrate on shortening your sentences or many readers will lose interest.

Just what I hope is a helpful critique. :king

Edit: On second read, the example I quoted certainly does add educational content. I just recommend trying to shorten it up.

ColinB
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
The information was fine, but I did not think the writing was great. Remember that short, informational sentences are fine. I found you using commas just to extend the sentence for no reason really. The part Drz pointed out kind of bothered me as well, but I think it was just the strange phrasing you used. Lastly, names became redundant in their respective paragraphs, particularly "Leonard" and "Splitter". I would try to mix it up a bit.

Nice read though. I look forward to more.

The ADMIRAL 50
12-29-2011, 03:43 PM
thanks dylankerouac :toast

and thanks for the constructive criticism ColinB and Drz :toast

being too wordy or convoluted has always been a problem of mine in my writing. I really enjoy writing though, and through this site I'm looking to really improve. I appreciate the comments and I hope y'all will keep up with the site. I just posted an article on the Clippers game, so check it out! Link is in my sig.

Sorry to bump this back to the top btw, just wanted to respond to those fellas.