PDA

View Full Version : Good Breakfast in SA (non-tacos)

Destro
12-28-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm in SA visiting family and I'm looking for a good place to eat breakfast. I've had my fill of great mexican so I'm hoping yall can recommend a few places to try. Where do you like to eat non-mexican breakfast?

silverblk mystix
12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
last time I drove in to see my son in S.A. ...we had some good stuff @ the...

Magnolia Pancake Haus....

tasty...although I don't usually eat a "traditional" breakfast...usually my breakfast is fresh fruit and good coffee...

Leetonidas
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Jim's :lol

CosmicCowboy
12-28-2011, 12:36 PM
last time I drove in to see my son in S.A. ...we had some good stuff @ the...

Magnolia Pancake Haus....

tasty...although I don't usually eat a "traditional" breakfast...usually my breakfast is fresh fruit and good coffee...

Yeah, Magnolia Pancake house is a really good choice but be prepared to wait to be seated.

Oh, Gee!!
12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.guentherhouse.com/restaurant-menu-breakfast.html

Trill Clinton
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Magnolia Pancake Hause. It's off of 218 and bitters, GOAT pancakes.

EDTIT- looks like it's been mentioned already:lol

Drachen
12-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Magnolia Pancake Haus! Best breakfast food restaurant I have ever eaten at. They are building a new one near my house too!

Oh, Gee!!
12-28-2011, 01:01 PM
guenther house uses pioneer flour (local) and local preserves. It's a San Antonio landmark tbh

I. Hustle
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
281 not 218

Trill Clinton
12-28-2011, 01:08 PM
typo

Dex
12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.guentherhouse.com/restaurant-menu-breakfast.html

desflood
12-28-2011, 01:42 PM
The Egg and I, just off Potranco. The Parisian Benedict and hazelnut coffee are pretty good.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Magnolia, hands down. Only "complaint" is the wait but they get your cell number to text you. That way you don't have to stay there to be seated. They make everything, in house. Jellies, syrups, you name it. Corned beef hash is awesome and get the funny named apple thing for a dessert. This place is top notch

Drachen
12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Magnolia, hands down. Only "complaint" is the wait but they get your cell number to text you. That way you don't have to stay there to be seated. They make everything, in house. Jellies, syrups, you name it. Corned beef hash is awesome and get the funny named apple thing for a dessert. This place is top notch

The Muenchener Apfel Pfannekuchen?

Freakin ridiculous.

CosmicCowboy
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
The JP Marriott has a couple different awesome brunches if you really want to swing for the fences...one in the $20 range and one in the $40 range...also Las Canarias downtown has a wicked Sunday brunch if budget is no object...

Spur|n|Austin
12-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Guenther House all they way!

Sisk
12-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Magnolia. No doubt about it.

Destro
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks like Magnolia is a ST favorite. I'll try it tomorrow. I went to Liberty Bar on South Alamo for lunch today, I had a pork stew that was delicious. Guenther House also looks like the kinda place I'm looking for. Many Thanks!

DMC
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Never eaten at the Magnolia place. I'll have to try it next time I'm in SA.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
The Muenchener Apfel Pfannekuchen?

Freakin ridiculous.

Yes sir :tu

Kori Ellis
12-28-2011, 07:57 PM
We have tried to go to Magnolia a few times and the wait was always a couple hours (so we didn't wait). I can't imagine breakfast being good enough to wait that long.

Blake
12-28-2011, 10:09 PM
+1 on magnolia haus, but no if the wait is two hours.

Any wait more than thirty minutes tests my resolve to eat there.

mrsmaalox
12-28-2011, 10:19 PM
We have tried to go to Magnolia a few times and the wait was always a couple hours (so we didn't wait). I can't imagine breakfast being good enough to wait that long.

Yes the line out the door into the parking lot was definitely a deterrant for me, especially since I'm not much of a breakfast eater. Seems like most places are judged by the pancakes they serve, and I just don't care for them, so I tend to head for the Mexican breakfast places.

Drachen
12-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Well you either have to get there early, go on a weekday, or be prepared to wait (though my wait has never been greater than 45 minutes). It has always been worth the 45 minute wait.

Also, they usually tell you longer than it ends up being.

Lastly, though they havent even poured the foundation yet, I am sure when the new one is open, things will thin out a bit. It is going to be on huebner past prue road (coming from I10)

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2011, 09:59 AM
La Madeliene and Marie Callendar's have good ones to as well, but I always suggest guenther house to out-of-towners b/c it's in King William and all historical and what-not.

Fabbs
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Kori Ellis

Well you either have to get there early, go on a weekday, or be prepared to wait (though my wait has never been greater than 45 minutes). It has always been worth the 45 minute wait.

Lastly, though they havent even poured the foundation yet, I am sure when the new one is open, things will thin out a bit. It is going to be on huebner past prue road (coming from I10)
Once you're "known" there (like even after the 1st visit if you strike up some rapport with the manager or hostess) can you phone in to get in line?

SA210
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Awesome, down the road to me

SA210
12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I gotta try both Magnolia and the Guenther. You guys got me hungry :lol

Drachen
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Kori Ellis

Once you're "known" there (like even after the 1st visit if you strike up some rapport with the manager or hostess) can you phone in to get in line?

Never tried it. I guess you can give it a shot. The wait doesn't really bother me if I know something is worth it. Additionally, we usually go with my parents and we can definitely talk, it's good family bonding time. LOL

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
The wait doesn't really bother me if I know something is worth it.

That. And I doubt the wait's ever been 2 hours. Wait times aren't exactly a proven science..........

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Seems like most places are judged by the pancakes they serve.

Congrats. You have Magnolia Pancake Haus all figured out :toast