PDA

View Full Version : Roster gives Nate McMillan flexibility to go long and lean, bulky and mean

tlongII
12-28-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/12/trail_blazers_notebook_roster_give_nate_mcmillan_f .html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/10392240-large.jpg
Gerald Wallace and Marcus Camby are among the pieces that coach Nate McMillan can move around this season.

At one point during their victory over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday, the Trail Blazers had a lineup of 6-foot-5 Jamal Crawford, 6-8 Nicolas Batum, 6-7 Gerald Wallace, 6-11 LaMarcus Aldridge and 6-11 Marcus Camby.

At another point, Portland turned to a front line of Wallace, Craig Smith (6-7, 265 pounds) and Kurt Thomas (6-9, 230), going from long and lean to bulky and mean.

Although the season is only two games in, it appears Blazers coach Nate McMillan will have more flexibility to create combinations to match up with, and create mismatches against, opponents this season.

"Just take advantage of situations that teams give us," McMillan said.

The backcourt of Crawford and Batum came about after starting shooting guard Wesley Matthews left the court with a tight back early in the second half, and Crawford subbed for starting point guard Raymond Felton. Suddenly, the Blazers were very tall, and they blocked seven shots in the second half.

"That is a long, athletic team that should be able to defend as well as run," McMillan said.

McMillan also gave Smith his first playing time of the season in the second half, and he and Thomas gave the Blazers a physical inside presence they lacked last season.

"I just try to go out and help the team in any way I can," Smith said. "Hustle, rebound, whatever they need me to do, I'll try to be there. Whether it's one minute or 10 minutes -- whatever it is."

Smith played 7 minutes, 52 seconds and had four points and three rebounds. Thomas played 17:35 and chipped in six points and two rebounds and continued to show a reliable mid-range jumper (he is 4 for 5 from the field for the season) that could play well with Smith's strong post game.

"We felt like we needed some beef in there and he came in and gave us a nice lift," McMillan said of Smith. "He also can give us an offensive presence in the post. ... We like the combination of Craig and Kurt, and I thought that group gave us some solid minutes."

McMillan went 11 deep when the outcome was still in question, something he almost never did last season, when he rarely had all of his key players healthy at the same time. In the shortened season, with 66 games and multiple back-to-backs, the depth and flexibility to mix and match size and experience could become a significant.

In this season's first two games, McMillan has given youngsters Chris Johnson and Nolan Smith time in the first half, then tightened up with veterans in the second half.

"Depth is going to be important for everybody," McMillan said. "We've got guys that can play, they were ready to play tonight."

Well-earned day off: The Blazers' undisputed main man Tuesday was Wallace, who gave the team a huge lift with his full-tilt play as he contributed 25 points, eight rebounds, five assists and two blocks in 35 minutes.

If the energy suggested a player with fresh legs, Wallace insisted after the game that it only seemed that way.

"I was tired before I got here, I was tired at halftime, I'm tired right now," Wallace said. "There's always fatigue in these situations. But ... you're out there playing, you don't feel the fatigue."

Aldridge, who missed a week of an already short training camp after having a heart procedure, also spoke of his fatigue. McMillan gave the Blazers a day off Wednesday before they return Thursday to play Denver at the Rose Garden.

And to think Wallace, Aldridge and the other players have worked themselves to near exhaustion without seeing a dime - yet anyway. Because of the late start to the season caused by the lockout, players don't get their first paychecks until Sunday.

Familiar faces: The Blazers will face an opponent with plenty of familiar faces when they play host to Denver on Thursday.

McMillan remains close to Nuggets coach George Karl, for whom he played with the Seattle SuperSonics. The Nuggets also have two players who played for the Blazers last season in guards Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez.

Felton played 21 games for the Nuggets last season, after being traded by the Knicks as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal. Timofey Mozgov and Danilo Gallinari -- who also went with Felton from New York to Denver -- are in the Nuggets' starting lineup.

Felton said the Nuggets have plenty of players who can score, and he expects point guard Ty Lawson - with whom he split time last season - try to push the tempo.

"They've got a lot of pieces," Felton said. "We've got to be ready to play."

DJ Mbenga
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
the title should have also included pause

rayjayjohnson
12-28-2011, 11:49 PM
the title should have also included pause

:lmao

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Too bad the Blazers are going to get pummeled tomorrow :smokin

tlongII
12-29-2011, 12:36 AM
We'll see brah.

Jacob1983
12-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Why don't teams go after Camby and Aldridge? Mavs would three peat if they had either one of those guys. Damn shame. And why aren't the Blazers title contenders? They have a lot of talent and length.

NewcastleKEG
12-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Why don't teams go after Camby and Aldridge? Mavs would three peat if they had either one of those guys. Damn shame. And why aren't the Blazers title contenders? They have a lot of talent and length.
Most people had them upsetting you in the 1st Round last year

Jacob1983
12-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Two words: Tyson Chandler

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2011, 03:22 AM
west version of pacers?

DAF86
12-29-2011, 03:48 AM
I can't wait 'till the Blazers become a contender so I can start giving a fuck about all this threads tlong posts.