PDA

View Full Version : Neal's role upon return

urunobili
12-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Both game rotation has been identical.

IF they keep playing this well, whose minutes Gary Neail will be taking?

Benched for a while? Will it be Leonard's? TJ's? I'm just confused and would like to see that figured. I'd hate to have the chemistry touched because of rotational changes :flag:

lefty
12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Neal with it

FkLA
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Leonard

8FOR!3
12-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Doesn't really need anybody's minutes. With so many back to backs and a few back to back to backs, you can't have too much depth. Play the guy who's making his shots. I could see him playing a few minutes at backup PG, you're bound to have some nights where TP or TJ are having a tough game. Anytime the three ball isn't falling I'd consider putting him in.

ElNono
12-28-2011, 11:01 PM
There will be minutes there... Manu, TP will sit down a bunch of games...

urunobili
12-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm scared that Leonard may end up in Austin for a while... it didn't help JA a lot last year... yet he has proven to be a Playoff performer and we need him back to himself... what a nice dilemma to have witht he young guns playing like this.

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
i think a trade is in the works once rjs stock goes up...

NEAL should be playing with the bench...i think his going to take TJ fords minutes....

DAF86
12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Although I like what I saw from TJ tonight I hope Neal takes all of Ford's minutes and some of Manus, Tonys, Andersons and Leonard's minutes.

phxspurfan
12-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Neal will supply these

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cAUmFIIHiis/SXZyg3W6Z2I/AAAAAAAABHU/yETGM8a3WCo/s320/brass%2Bballs.png

z0sa
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I presume Gary Neal will take Kawhi Leonard's role on the team. I can't wait for him to get back actually. Neal will make this offense even more dynamic. I'm also really excited with Anderson, which is why I actually don't care much if Leonard gets squeezed out. He's a nice guy to have on the bench, young, athletic, seems to feel at home on the court, but obviously rough around the edges.

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I presume Gary Neal will take Kawhi Leonard's role on the team. I can't wait for him to get back actually. Neal will make this offense even more dynamic. I'm also really excited with Anderson, which is why I actually don't care much if Leonard gets squeezed out. He's a nice guy to have on the bench, young, athletic, seems to feel at home on the court, but obviously rough around the edges.

its either JA or KL gettin squeezed out, but i think if everything works out TJ RJ, BONNER, BLAIRS minutes will all goto any of them if none of them are firing shots down...

opportunity costs what u want, whether its
jas offensive game
kl deffensive game

the depth on the backcourt and wing is just stacked...

DesignatedT
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
It's a legitimate concern. Although with all the b2bs and the condensed schedule guys like Neal, Anderson, Leonard and Ford should all still play with Manu sitting games out and playing limited minutes during those tough stretches.

By the seasons end hopefully they all get enough time to show what they consistently bring so the playoff rotations can be made.

ChuckD
12-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm scared that Leonard may end up in Austin for a while... it didn't help JA a lot last year... yet he has proven to be a Playoff performer and we need him back to himself... what a nice dilemma to have witht he young guns playing like this.

JA wasn't in Austin for 'help' last year. He was fat and winded after his stress fracture healed, and needed to play himself back into shape.

timvp
12-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Good question. My guess is that JA could be the odd man out. With Pop going out of his way to make a role for Kawhi, it'd be pretty surprising to see the rook get squeezed out of the rotation. Plus I think Pop is going to give TJ more time to sink or swim.

Pretty good problem to have but let's hope Pop handles it well.

GSH
12-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Well if Pop really plays more small ball, Neal is going to figure prominently in that. I guess he won't be taking anybody's minutes. When they're going small, those minutes are his.

ducks
12-29-2011, 12:29 AM
with the schedule neal hopefully will eat into the older players minutes

this team is young if you take manu and duncan off of it
really young if you take parker

l

Chase_the_Bass
12-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I'd like him to eat up as much Manu time as possible whenever we don't need his playmaking and obviously Ford, but I want Anderson and Leonard to get the same minutes.

mystargtr34
12-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Good question. My guess is that JA could be the odd man out. With Pop going out of his way to make a role for Kawhi, it'd be pretty surprising to see the rook get squeezed out of the rotation. Plus I think Pop is going to give TJ more time to sink or swim.

If Pop benches JA he should be fired.. too much talent and potential.. there's room for him in the rotation. Can't afford to limit Leonard's playing time too much and sacrifice his development.

Tony 32
Manu 28
RJ 26
Neal 22
JA 22
Kawhi 14

You can give Leonard a few more at PF for small ball if Pop goes that way.

Buddy Holly
12-29-2011, 02:16 AM
I presume Gary Neal will take Kawhi Leonard's role on the team. I can't wait for him to get back actually.

It'll be a reduction in minutes for Manu, Anderson and Ford. Mainly Ford.

Why would Pop bench Kawhi, our defensive three and give his minutes to a offensive combo guard?

He's not.

Manu will benefit greatly when Neal returns as he'll get more rest and not be as needed with Neal's offense off the bench.

Buddy Holly
12-29-2011, 02:17 AM
If Pop benches JA he should be fired.. too much talent and potential.. there's room for him in the rotation. Can't afford to limit Leonard's playing time too much and sacrifice his development.

Tony 32
Manu 28
RJ 26
Neal 22
JA 22
Kawhi 14

RJ: 23 minutes
Kawhi: 17 minutes

timvp
12-29-2011, 02:24 AM

Tony 32
Manu 28
RJ 26
Neal 22
JA 22
Kawhi 14

I'd like that but Pop is going to give the backup point guard minutes to Ford.

therealtruth
12-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Neal will likely cut into Ford/Anderson/Manu minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2011, 02:40 AM
they can always get minutes at the 4...

hence i dont think ford will be gettin alot of minutes at pg

if pop wants to play small, he can have 2 point forwards in ginoboli and neal on the court handling the ball...

SenorSpur
12-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Personally, I believe Manu's minutes should be preserved -especially on the second nights of the B2Bs and the third nights of the B2B2Bs. The fact that he was hurt at the end of last regular season, only masks the fact that he played too many minutes and was forced to carry too much playmaking responsibility for the team last year.

Hopefully, Neal will help ease some of that burden, along with TJ and JA. Neal's return should not affect Leonard as much because Pop needs him to backup RJ.

It is indeed a good problem to have.

MannyIsGod
12-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Well, I gotta say that I hope we play small. I want to see Bonner squeezed out of the rotation.

jermaine
12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
i think a trade is in the works once rjs stock goes up...

NEAL should be playing with the bench...i think his going to take TJ fords minutes....
I pray thats whats happens. If we hurt Jeffersons swagg, he might go into a funk for the rest of the yr. Right now, its too late to bring in a new SF to learn the system. Its already hell watching KL running into peoplke an I like him. Joseph goes to Austin, TJ ford goes to 3rd string, and Neal plays back pg with the ok to shoot 1st. sounds good to me.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I pray thats whats happens. If we hurt Jeffersons swagg, he might go into a funk for the rest of the yr. Right now, its too late to bring in a new SF to learn the system. Its already hell watching KL running into peoplke an I like him. Joseph goes to Austin, TJ ford goes to 3rd string, and Neal plays back pg with the ok to shoot 1st. sounds good to me.

there are players on the bench that can bring what RJ offers on the table at a cheaper price by 95%....im talkin about danny green, neal, JA...all they need is the same type of minutes rj is gettin and touches...it be lame if any of the 3 players get traded away...

smrattler
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
With the rigorous schedule, he won't eat into any ONE player's minutes. He just adds another guy we can throw out there to rest guys like Manu and Parker more.

Last night and tonight is an example. If Neal were available, Tony and Manu could have played a lot less against the Clippers (assuming it was still a blow out). Neither probably would have played at all in the 4th. Then tonight in Houston, if we get out to a lead and Neal played well, Manu might not play much at all, or Tony less.

Depth this year more than usual will be key to keep your stars fresh for the playoffs.

smrattler
12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
The more options Pop has, the more combination he can try from night to night to see what is clicking and rest his older guys.

The_Worlds_finest
12-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe have him start and move Manu to the bench? Our bench is what will be make or break.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
isnt the next 13 games all at home?

Fireball
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
isnt the next 13 games all at home?

no, in January there actually will be more road than home games

z0sa
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Interesting point. I don't see either one being benched quite yet, following Neal's return. Leonard is the superior defender between he and JA IMHO so whichever Pop chooses, I don't think it hurts the spurs chances.

TDMVPDPOY
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
we clearly need rebounding and defense

the odd man out will be bonner, ford...i add blair to that list if he has a succession of shit games

TMTTRIO
12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I can see Neal taking a lot of Manu's minutes. We don't need to run Manu into the ground before the playoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing Manu play more of the second half of games.

dbestpro
12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Neal will cut into Bonner's minutes.

Here's how. Neal will get more time at SG, Anderson more time at SF and Leonard more time at PF. Leonard's defense will outshine Bonner's worth and cause Pop to use Bonner as the 5th situational big.

jjktkk
12-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Here's how. Neal will get more time at SG, Anderson more time at SF and Leonard more time at PF. Leonard's defense will outshine Bonner's worth and cause Pop to use Bonner as the 5th situational big.

I could definitely live with this.

Mel_13
12-29-2011, 12:49 PM

That's a nice dream.

urunobili
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
So we all agree that the dream case scenario would be Kawhi taking minutes at the 4 and Bonner's so Neal could start getting his 14 a night to re acclimate?

Obstructed_View
12-29-2011, 02:36 PM

This would be the ideal way to handle it. I don't think there's anyone that would have too much of a problem with Leonard getting some time at power forward, especially if it means less time at that spot for Bonner.

urunobili
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
This would be the ideal way to handle it. I don't think there's anyone that would have too much of a problem with Leonard getting some time at power forward, especially if it means less time at that spot for Bonner.

And Kawhi can shoot the 3 too... spacing 4 anyone? :wow

Interrohater
12-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Neal with it

Interrohater
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Sigh.... to make Bonner useless...er.

Sadly, I think he'll be here for awhile.

Obstructed_View
12-29-2011, 05:19 PM

With actual usable size on the front line, I'd be perfectly happy if Leonard learned to reliably hit a jumper from about 18 feet. Three pointers are massively overrated.

SpursDynasty85
12-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree with the notion that TJ Ford is the main backup pointgaurd now and we won't see anyone else really playing the back up pointgaurd, except maybe Manu to facilitate some things. Shrinking anyone's minutes but Bonner is what worries me. All these guys except Bonner deserves to play more. I might even say shrink Duncan's minutes than Ford's, Andersons, Jefferson, or Leonard's minutes.

rascal
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
The spurs need to make a move trading away a wing player for a frontline player.

BackHome
12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Although I like what I saw from TJ tonight I hope Neal takes all of Ford's minutes and some of Manus, Tonys, Andersons and Leonard's minutes.

That is only good if you plan on playing Manu a lot of minutes because he is the PG when Neal is in. I like Neal and he will get minutes just for the fact that we have 16 back to back games everyone is going to have to play.

kaji157
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Neal role would be to give Manu and Tony some extra resting time.

ace3g
12-29-2011, 10:05 PM
tonight is where having Neal out there would really help; just another shooter/play maker

Obstructed_View
12-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Meh, the Spurs decided not to bother playing defense and jacked up a lot of long shots early. Having another guy jacking up shots would have made little difference.

cantthinkofanything
12-30-2011, 05:41 AM
So we all agree that the dream case scenario would be Kawhi taking minutes at the 4 and Bonner's so Neal could start getting his 14 a night to re acclimate?

the dream case is Bonner losing his ACL, MCL, or his photos of Pop and a tranny.

Obstructed_View
12-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Yep, I'm fully on board the "Matt Bonner career-ending-but-in-no-way-otherwise-debilitating-or-painful injury" train.

Giuseppe
12-30-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm partial to the Pop & tranny scenario. Preferably with Swordsy.

cantthinkofanything
12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

bend over... I'll show ya Pop and a tranny

Spurs Brazil
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Spurs second-year guard Gary Neal is making steady progress as he recovers from an appendectomy.

Neal could suit up for tonight’s game against Utah against the AT&T Center, although Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doubts he will play against the Jazz.

“I think that will be his choice, but I don’t think he’ll be able to play,” Popovich said. “If he wants to wear a uniform, that’s fine. I’m not sure what he’s going to want to do.”
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/12/31/neal-could-suit-up-but-likely-wont-play-vs-jazz/

Spurs da champs
12-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, I gotta say that I hope we play small. I want to see Bonner squeezed out of the rotation.

That might be the case, with leonard's rebounding it might not be so bad, because I've liked what I've seen from TJ so far.

DMC
12-31-2011, 07:48 PM
There's going to be enough minutes to go around with this schedule.

DMC
12-31-2011, 07:49 PM
You quit before, now would be a good time to do it again.