PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about mobile wifi...

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Is there such a thing as a prepaid mobile wifi setup? Like prepaid mobile phones but prepaid wifi? I'm looking for occasional use of my wifi IPad 2 where there is no internet...I know i can theoretically jailbreak my iphone and use that as a wifi hotspot but the carriers are starting to bust people for doing that...does such a thing exist? I could get bluesky sattelite internet at the ranch but it's really not worth $50 a month for as infrequently as I'd use it...

Drachen
12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Is there such a thing as a prepaid mobile wifi setup? Like prepaid mobile phones but prepaid wifi? I'm looking for occasional use of my wifi IPad 2 where there is no internet...I know i can theoretically jailbreak my iphone and use that as a wifi hotspot but the carriers are starting to bust people for doing that...does such a thing exist? I could get bluesky sattelite internet at the ranch but it's really not worth $50 a month for as infrequently as I'd use it...

The cheapest is Virgin Mobile, but it will be 3g, you can pay 20/month for 500 Mb (prepaid) or you can pay 10 dollars, get 100 MB but can only use it for 10 days. I believe each carrier has something like this, but you will probably end up paying around 50 a month (and you can do that already). I would, however, purchase the mifi for it off of amazon or ebay.

It costs 150 from them, or 50 from amazon.

leemajors
12-30-2011, 03:43 PM
if your iPad is a 3G model you can pay by the month for 3G access with no contract. AT&T will also sell you a monthly tethering plan I believe (4GB for $45 ).

Heath Ledger
12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
ive been tethering my ass off with att for 2 years and have not heard a peep from them about it

RandomGuy
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM

My HTC phone from T-Mobile has portable wifi hotspot capability.

I do travel a good chunk for my job, so having the capacity is worth it for me.

Your mobile carrier may provide it, depending on how new a smartphone you have.

If you use it infrequently, that is a possibility. It isn't blazing fast, but depending on the signal you get, can be passable.

(edit)

Not sure how much it is costing me, have to check the bill. Not too much if you get the ability bundled in with everything else.

tlongII
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I just signed up for 250 mb at $15 per month thru AT&T.

tlongII
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I use It for my iPad 2 when I don't have wireless access.

lefty
12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I use It for my iPad 2 when I don't have wireless access.

And start 10 threads about 1 Blazers game

tlongII
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
and start 10 threads about 1 blazers game

bam!