PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney under attack in Iowa.

JoeChalupa
12-30-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70968.html

DES MOINES – Mitt Romney is under direct attack on the airwaves for the first time in the 2012 presidential primary, as a super PAC supporting Jon Huntsman’s underdog campaign launches television ads in New Hampshire searing Romney as a political “chameleon.”

The commercials from Our Destiny PAC are the sharpest yet directed at Romney, whose primary foes have largely avoided hitting him through paid media. An official with the group said the buy for the commercials is roughly $300,000 for broadcast and cable television.

“Two serious candidates remain. One willing to say anything, be anything. One who can actually do the job,” the ad’s narrator says, urging Granite State voters to “stop the chameleon. Vote Jon Huntsman.”

The ads come at a moment when the effort to stop Romney increasingly appears to be too disorganized and slow-moving to deny the former Massachusetts governor a victory in New Hampshire and possibly the larger prize of the GOP nomination. The New Hampshire primary is now 11 days away and Romney’s poll numbers in the state are stronger than ever.

Indeed, with only days left until the Iowa caucuses, Romney wrapped up a bus tour here on a triumphant note, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie exhorting voters to support Romney or else Christie would “be back, Jersey style.”

And though Romney’s GOP opponents have sniped at him throughout the week, the heaviest incoming fire has continued to come from Democrats. Friday was no exception, as the Democratic National Committee released a web video criticizing Romney for not releasing his tax returns, and the Obama campaign pounced on an off-message remark by one of Romney’s sons to accuse him of pandering to the political fringe.

During a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Matt Romney was caught on-camera by the website Patch joking that his father might release his tax returns if the president “releases his grades, and birth certificate, and sort of a long list of things.”

Obama campaign manager Jim Messina responded in a tone of outrage, writing in a fundraising email to supporters: “This is how the Romney campaign thinks it’s going to win the Republican primary: by pandering to the dead-ender fringe of extremists who still question where the President was born.”

~~It is about time. Mitt has been strolling along and maybe now he'll finally be considered the front runner and get a taste of his own medicine.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I still don't see any candidate seriously going after Romney. Do they all know he'll be the nominee and want to be on his good side once he does lock up the nomination?

CosmicCowboy
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I doubt that, it's just not cool to go hyper-negative on your own primary opposition. It just tenders to boomerang later on whoever finally gets the nomination.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I doubt that, it's just not cool to go hyper-negative on your own primary opposition. It just tenders to boomerang later on whoever finally gets the nomination.

Well, it sure has worked for Romney on Gingrich. Gingrich's ratings have gone from being way above the others to now being behind Santorum.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
"Whatever I do tomorrow night will be a victory because I am still standing" - Gingrich just now in Independence, Iowa - He still won't attack Romney.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Grinch did sound like he is going after Romney at the NH debate this weekend. Will others follow Newt?