PDA

View Full Version : A big ??

ego
12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Ian Mahinmi !! Oh I forgot, he plays for the Mavs !
FG 6/6 FT 7/11 +/- +21

Bill_Brasky
12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Gtfo

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Why did you forget?

Hooks
12-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Probably a fluke, guys always have like 4 or 5 games a year when they go off.

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Start a thread about his line every game.

cantthinkofanything
12-31-2011, 02:41 AM
bend over, I'll show you a big ??

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2011, 03:16 AM
ibtl

ban OP NOW

TJastal
12-31-2011, 03:35 AM
The yanny-haters like Bill Buttsky must all be happy with Boner and his 1 rebound in 3 games.

:lol

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Probably a fluke, guys always have like 4 or 5 games a year when they go off.Inconsistency was Ian's bugbear. He certainly seems to have an opportunity to capitalize here against some other team.

TJastal
12-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Inconsistency was Ian's bugbear. He certainly seems to have an opportunity to capitalize here against some other team.

Can't develop consistency without regular minutes, something he's been getting in Dallas.

Dex
12-31-2011, 04:12 AM
You know we are in dire straits when people are seriously wishing Mahinmi was back.

TJastal
12-31-2011, 04:39 AM
You know we are in dire straight when people are seriously wishing Mahinmi was back.

Mavs won a championship with Mahinmi filling that role of 4th-5th big last year. If that's what you consider being in dire straights, I'll take dire straights today, tomorrow and twice on Sundays.

therealtruth
12-31-2011, 04:49 AM
Mavs won a championship with Mahinmi filling that role of 4th-5th big last year. If that's what you consider being in dire straights, I'll take dire straights today, tomorrow and twice on Sundays.

He basically played backup big when Haywood went down. He had some really good minutes in the game 6 win in Miami.

ElNono
12-31-2011, 04:50 AM
lol dire 'straights'

Dex
12-31-2011, 04:54 AM
lol dire 'straights'

:smchode:

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Brian Cardinal played more minutes than Mahinmi. Fire Carlisle.

Brazil
12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
we can all make fun of OP but reality is we definitely need a big and I'll take Ian back in a heartbeat. Spurs have spent lot of money and energy to develop this guy, we get rid of him for nothing to a rival. This was just a dumb move in the long list of recent Spurs FO dumb moves.

gospursgojas
12-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Ian tearing up the Raptors' Barngani/derozen frontline.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Ian tearing up the Raptors' Barngani/derozen frontline.

don't forget Amir Johnson, Ed Davis and James Johnson

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 11:14 AM
we can all make fun of OP but reality is we definitely need a big and I'll take Ian back in a heartbeat. Spurs have spent lot of money and energy to develop this guy, we get rid of him for nothing to a rival. This was just a dumb move in the long list of recent Spurs FO dumb moves.

Ian's a "deer". He just never understood the game. AFAIK, he's also not available. People need to move on from a failed project. He's barely an NBA rotation player on the right team or teams.

wildbill2u
12-31-2011, 11:24 AM
The Mavs coach has been very happy with Mahinimi's progress so he's getting more minutes. He played 28 last night compared to 19 for the starter

"Mahinmi hit all six field goal attempts, went 7 for 11 from the free throw line, and added five rebounds and two blocked shots.
“I know this was a career high in points for him, but the last two nights he’s given us a really high level of energy,” Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said.“He’s given us a physical presence, he’s a combative guy, and he was really big for us tonight.”

More importantly he's learning to control his PF (4) and only had one turnover. I watch a lot of Mavs games and he really is better now than he showed here. There were several times where he moved without the ball and was open down low for a layup or dunk but didn't get the ball. He runs the court hard on offense and defense.

The guy never played much here and had very little BB background so it took him more time to develop than the Spurs were willing to invest. I don't remember the other options the FO preferred when they let him go but they weren't young athletic big men.

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Can't develop consistency without regular minutes, something he's been getting in Dallas.5 minutes in game one?

lol

DesignatedT
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Nothing new here......

Starting threads after every decent game he has.

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Nothing new here......

Starting threads after every decent game he has.Folks have to live in the past.

itzsoweezee
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
He's definitely better than Bonner. That's the only fact that matters.

benefactor
12-31-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been patiently waiting on the Ian thread. Pretty disappointed that it's taken this long to get made. I guess the lockout has affected the greys too.

Bill_Brasky
12-31-2011, 01:09 PM
The yanny-haters like Bill Buttsky must all be happy with Boner and his 1 rebound in 3 games.

Oh great, this guy's back.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I've been patiently waiting on the Ian thread. Pretty disappointed that it's taken this long to get made. I guess the lockout has affected the greys too.

glad we could accommodate - now get back to posing in front of the mirror

benefactor
12-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh noes...another grey is making fun of my picture. Aggie did that too. Always considered you guys to be a step above them. Disappointed...yet again.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Oh noes...another grey is making fun of my picture. Aggie did that too. Always considered you guys to be a step above them. Disappointed...yet again.

come on now - just givin you a hard time, but I won't back down defending my grey brethren. We keep folks here entertained and frustrated with our bold and astute observations :toast

benefactor
12-31-2011, 01:51 PM
That you do. You are part of the internal fabric of this place. Hell..I even welcomed you guys back (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186991) after the lockout.

jjktkk
12-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Can't develop consistency without regular minutes, something he's been getting in Dallas.

Consistant minutes in 3 games this year so far. Wow, it only took 6 seasons, :lol

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Consistant minutes in 3 games this year so far. Wow, it only took 6 seasons, :lol

Dallas won a championship with their lineup and still managed to find minutes for him. What's San Antonio's excuse?

Spurs da champs
12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Against Toronto? lol Toronto is a joke, & btw how many rebounds did he have 5? smh he will always be a scrub.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Dallas won a championship with their lineup and still managed to find minutes for him. What's San Antonio's excuse?

His last season in SA: 6.3 mpg
His first season in DAL: 8.7 mpg

Fire Carlisle.

The whining/pining for a 3.5/2 player is laughable. I don't give a shit if he's 7'0" tall, he still can't hold DB's jock as a basketball player.

benefactor
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
And for the record...I'd wouldn't mind having Ian back and considering the 5th big options out there I think the FO would too if he was available as he knows the Spurs offense and defense.

But he's not...the ship has sailed...so just move on.

SA210
12-31-2011, 05:53 PM

underdawg
12-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Fire Carlisle.

The whining/pining for a 3.5/2 player is laughable. I don't give a shit if he's 7'0" tall, he still can't hold DB's jock as a basketball player.

the mpg is not as important as Ian getting minutes during the playoffs - heck even Tiago had a hard time getting minutes and he's much more important to the Spurs chances than our center in a fat SF body.

The point of even bringing up Ian's stats is to point out that keeping or bringing in a young project would have probably helped the Spurs vs. the lack of depth now.

I'm obviously glad DB had a good game (had some last year too), but the odds of DB and Bonner getting abused often this season and in the playoffs still remain high. DB is a good 4th, but the Spurs still need a 3rd and a 5th big with TD needing rest - Bonner shoots 4 three pointers a game and that is pretty much it.

jjktkk
12-31-2011, 06:51 PM
:lol Long list of dumb FO moves? Really? Your crying about the FO letting go of Mahimni? Seriously? The Spurs couldn't find minutes for Splitter, but you expected them to develop 3 young bigs in Blair, Splitter, and Mahimni, while still trying to contend? Have you forgotten that Mahimni was drafted in 05? How many years are you suppose to allow a player to develop?

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Fire Carlisle.

Mahinmi played in the finals, despite the Mavs having two centers that were better than anything that was in San Antonio when Mahinmi was getting DNP-CDs. Mahinmi left and was replaced by Splitter who also didn't get any time.

DB? I think you mean MB, since he's the reason the Spurs are looking for help on the front line. And double check your numbers, plz. Mahinmi's putting up 8 and 3 and shooting .733 from the field in 17 minutes, while Bonner's putting up 4 and 0.3 in 20 minutes on .267 shooting. :lol

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 07:12 PM
:lol Long list of dumb FO moves? Really? Your crying about the FO letting go of Mahimni? Seriously? The Spurs couldn't find minutes for Splitter, but you expected them to develop 3 young bigs in Blair, Splitter, and Mahimni, while still trying to contend? Have you forgotten that Mahimni was drafted in 05? How many years are you suppose to allow a player to develop?

Allowing him to watch the other guys play doesn't really develop a player. :lol

Spurs da champs
12-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Allowing him to watch the other guys play doesn't really develop a player. :lol

He had his chance to develop in Austin & in limited minutes he looked like a train wreck.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 07:49 PM
He had his chance to develop in Austin & in limited minutes he looked like a train wreck.

:lol Developing in Austin like all the other players who have...oh whoops.

And now he's clearly better than Matt Bonner and making a fraction of the money. Funny how actually getting PT helps a player, just ask Tiago Splitter.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 08:03 PM

Again, I understand that he's gone to another team but he's a good kid and I feel compelled to defend him:

-I don't know about a train wreck - he averaged 17 and 9, plus his team when to the d-league finals.

-He's only 25; he didn't go to college and his skills are still developing a bit (even though his ceiling is going to probably be lower than first thought)

-Some players take time - look at Tyson Chandler. He's played for 10 seasons and guess how many times he's averaged a double-double? He was still very important to Mavs finally getting a ring and some will say he didn't mature until after he spent 5 seasons in Chicago and moved on to NO.

I think you're way too overconfident to think the Spurs couldn't use a big even on Ian's level this year and especially with the shortened season.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice to know there are still a few little Tparks running around.

Spurs da champs
12-31-2011, 08:18 PM
:lol Developing in Austin like all the other players who have...oh whoops.

And now he's clearly better than Matt Bonner and making a fraction of the money. Funny how actually getting PT helps a player, just ask Tiago Splitter.

I agree Tiago getting playing time helped him, but this is one good game from him against the Raptors, & you suddenly think he's improved? And I wouldn't compare the 2, Ian is raw garbage, Splitter was proven overseas.

Again, I understand that he's gone to another team but he's a good kid and I feel compelled to defend him:

-I don't know about a train wreck - he averaged 17 and 9, plus his team when to the d-league finals.

-He's only 25; he didn't go to college and his skills are still developing a bit (even though his ceiling is going to probably be lower than first thought)

-Some players take time - look at Tyson Chandler. He's played for 10 seasons and guess how many times he's averaged a double-double? He was still very important to Mavs finally getting a ring and some will say he didn't mature until after he spent 5 seasons in Chicago and moved on to NO.

I think you're way too overconfident to think the Spurs couldn't use a big even on Ian's level this year and especially with the shortened season.
Ian is no Chandler.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Mahinmi played in the finals, despite the Mavs having two centers that were better than anything that was in San Antonio when Mahinmi was getting DNP-CDs. Mahinmi left and was replaced by Splitter who also didn't get any time.

DB? I think you mean MB, since he's the reason the Spurs are looking for help on the front line. And double check your numbers, plz. Mahinmi's putting up 8 and 3 and shooting .733 from the field in 17 minutes, while Bonner's putting up 4 and 0.3 in 20 minutes on .267 shooting. :lol

Please don't tell me what players I'm talking about. DB means DeJuan Blair. DB is putting up 16/6 in 21.7 mins per game. Kinda smokes what Yawn Mahinmi is doing. Pardon me for not missing a disinterested Frenchman.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Please don't tell me what players I'm talking about. DB means DeJuan Blair. DB is putting up 16/6 in 21.7 mins per game. Kinda smokes what Yawn Mahinmi is doing. Pardon me for not missing a disinterested Frenchman.

DB is the starter, and isn't who Mahinmi would be taking minutes from. Try to follow along.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
I agree Tiago getting playing time helped him, but this is one good game from him against the Raptors, & you suddenly think he's improved? And I wouldn't compare the 2, Ian is raw garbage, Splitter was proven overseas.

Ian is no Chandler.

yeah - no kidding:rolleyes

point of comparison is to give an example of development for a young big

Ian can't be that much of garbage since he's getting minutes on the defending champs.

ducks
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
they signed another player the mavs did
guess what he is a big

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree Tiago getting playing time helped him, but this is one good game from him against the Raptors, & you suddenly think he's improved?

Splitter getting playing time helped him? So he wasn't a good player until the two preseason games this year? Ridiculous. There's zero justification for not giving him or Mahinmi more time.

Mahinmi got two games of actual playing time in his entire career as a Spur and averaged 14.5 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block and 8 free throw attempts while shooting 62.5% from the floor. In his career when he gets 20 minutes or more he averages 12 points, 7 boards, and shoots 75% from the floor.

Bill_Brasky
12-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll say this: I would take Yawn. He would be a better option than Bonner at this point and we could use another body.

However, he is not a player I look back on and think "MAN what were they thinking letting go of that guy? I really wish we had him!"

underdawg
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I'll say this: I would take Yawn. He would be a better option than Bonner at this point and we could use another body.

However, he is not a player I look back on and think "MAN what were they thinking letting go of that guy? I really wish we had him!"

I don't think you'd have many argue with your point - the only remorse is that the Spurs could have had a little more depth had the FO kept Ian and that the Spurs are stuck with Bonner.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 11:09 PM
DB is the starter, and isn't who Mahinmi would be taking minutes from. Try to follow along.

DB beat him up and took his lunch as a rookie, and directly led to his exile. Keep up, yourself.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 11:31 PM
DB beat him up and took his lunch as a rookie, and directly led to his exile. Keep up, yourself.

Yes, DeJuan Blair's 7 and 6 was more than enough to make the Spurs forget about Mahinmi's 4 and 2 in one third the minutes. :lol Revisionist history isn't as much fun when you look at the numbers. There was nobody on the front line that year putting up impressive numbers that wasn't named Duncan.

Most likely scenario is that the Spurs didn't play him because they wanted to save $1,786,354.

Brazil
12-31-2011, 11:33 PM

It depends of your definition of long but yes spurs FO has recently made some questionable moves. no need to do a list you probably know it.

Yes I'm crying at the spurs signing a dumb extension to Bonner and not giving PT to Ian. Developing 3 bigs is now impossible while still trying to contend? since when ? wtf ? Get rid of Ian didn't give Splitter more PT to develop, instead we had last year plenty of PT for the turd towers.

With 66 games with numerous bbb I'd love to have another defense minded big in spurs roster even a guy like Ian.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 11:35 PM

what are you talking about? Ian was signed by dallas 2 wks after the draft

bonner was re-signed and Ian shown the door

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 11:39 PM
what are you talking about? Ian was signed by dallas 2 wks after the draft

bonner was re-signed and Ian shown the door

I think Ian left the year after Blair was drafted.

underdawg
12-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I think Ian left the year after Blair was drafted.

it was after Blair's rookie year - but ian signed with Dallas right after bonner was re-signed

Russo21
12-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Now Yi Jianlian is signing with Dallas to? I wish we coulda got him. Averaged 12pts and 7 rebounds 1 block two years ago. I'd rather him then Bonner and it'd give us another much needed 7 footer (albeit skinny and weak as piss) but Geez, how many players do dallas need. Yi >> Bonner

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 12:36 AM
it was after Blair's rookie year - but ian signed with Dallas right after bonner was re-signed

Yeah I wasn't for sure but that sounds right. Blair didn't put up numbers overwhelming enough to keep Mahinmi off the floor, let alone for the Spurs to give up on him.

AFBlue
01-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Now Yi Jianlian is signing with Dallas to? I wish we coulda got him. Averaged 12pts and 7 rebounds 1 block two years ago. I'd rather him then Bonner and it'd give us another much needed 7 footer (albeit skinny and weak as piss) but Geez, how many players do dallas need. Yi >> Bonner

Yi is a notoriously bad defender and a streaky shooter with no inside game. If this means Fesenko is still available, I'm all about that guy for insurance...big and can defend.

Russo21
01-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Yeah true that. I want Fesenko here to. He's not great but he's a giant that can hold his ground and can't be pushed around. Havent heard any news regarding him though?

AFBlue
01-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Yeah true that. I want Fesenko here to. He's not great but he's a giant that can hold his ground and can't be pushed around. Havent heard any news regarding him though?

Word is Mavs are still interested in bringing him in. Can't see it as they're already at15 and would have to waive someone, but it could happen. Heard no news about any big being targeted by the Spurs in a long while. I expect a deal on Monday.

ChuckD
01-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Yeah I wasn't for sure but that sounds right. Blair didn't put up numbers overwhelming enough to keep Mahinmi off the floor, let alone for the Spurs to give up on him.

I'll take 7/6 from a rook over 8/3 from a fifth year player any day. Forget right now when it's not even a contest; Blair as a rookie was better than Mahinmi is today.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 03:10 AM
I'll take 7/6 from a rook over 8/3 from a fifth year player any day.

Obviously, since you consider that massive difference "beating him up and taking his lunch money away" and thinking it had anything to do with the Spurs purging his salary. :lol

jjktkk
01-01-2012, 03:35 AM
It depends of your definition of long but yes spurs FO has recently made some questionable moves.

Spurs have made some dumb moves(Scola, is the stupiest move I can think of). No FO is perfect, but you don't win mutiple championships by making a "long list" (your words) of horrible moves.

no need to do a list you probably know it.

Yep I do.

Yes I'm crying at the spurs signing a dumb extension to Bonner and not giving PT to Ian. Developing 3 bigs is now impossible while still trying to contend? since when ?

Look at last years bigman depth. Duncan, Dice, Blair, Bonner, and Splitter. Now try to add Mahimni to that list and please tell me how you are going to dole out playing time to Mahimni?

wtf ?

Please see When.

Get rid of Ian didn't give Splitter more PT to develop, instead we had last year plenty of PT for the turd towers.

Believe him or not, Pop said that injuries kept Splitter from developing.

With 66 games with numerous bbb I'd love to have another defense minded big in spurs roster even a guy like Ian.

Yes, hindsight is a MF. I too wouldn't mind having Mahmni with the Spurs, this year, but Mahimni is a mav, and I'm not gonna lose sleep on Mahmni being a Mav. Wish him weell.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Look back in anger.

ChuckD
01-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Obviously, since you consider that massive difference "beating him up and taking his lunch money away" and thinking it had anything to do with the Spurs purging his salary. :lol

I was cutting the Yawners a break by putting his BEST season (of 3 whole games) against Blair's rookie one. If his salary was purged, it was because it was comparable to DB's, and his production was not. DB was and is a better player, and my guess is that he will remain so.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I was cutting the Yawners a break by putting his BEST season (of 3 whole games) against Blair's rookie one. If his salary was purged, it was because it was comparable to DB's, and his production was not. DB was and is a better player, and my guess is that he will remain so.

Both of them play better the more minutes they're given.

spurspokesman
01-01-2012, 10:50 AM

This. Good for Ian. Wouldve been a nice energy guy to have.

spurspokesman
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM

This. Good for Ian. Wouldve been a nice energy guy to have. But dallas saw what we didnt.

spurspokesman
01-01-2012, 10:52 AM

This. Good for Ian. Wouldve been a nice energy guy to have. But dallas saw what we didnt or rather didnt have the patience to see.

ChuckD
01-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Both of them play better the more minutes they're given.

Some make it a more linear progression

per36 this year

Yawn 17.3/6.25
DB 24.7/11

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 11:27 AM

per36 this year

Yawn 17.3/6.25
DB 24.7/11

I wouldn't turn down that production from either of them. Though it's possible that Mahinmi's fouls per game would average over six in 36 minutes. Fouling was really his biggest problem, and bigs usually figure out how not to foul if they can get regular minutes. Meh, hardly matters anymore. If the Mavs decide to play him we'll see how good he can be, if not then we'll just keep having these same debates over and over.

Brazil
01-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Spurs have made some dumb moves(Scola, is the stupiest move I can think of). No FO is perfect, but you don't win mutiple championships by making a "long list" (your words) of horrible moves.

Of course no FO is perfect but once again recently, they have made some pretty dumb moves, the biggest one has been to not provide Duncan the help he needs inside instead of that they signed RJ a multi millionaire contract, they waived Ian to save money, Pop didn't use Splitter last year, FO signed a dumb extension to a choker...

Look at last years bigman depth. Duncan, Dice, Blair, Bonner, and Splitter. Now try to add Mahimni to that list and please tell me how you are going to dole out playing time to Mahimni?

as a result of that "depth" we have been destroyed by the grizz front line with absolutely no answer because of lack of athletic big.[/QUOTE]

Believe him or not, Pop said that injuries kept Splitter from developing.

Splitter in my mind was healthy enough to be developed during the RS. And yes he could have helped us during the 1st round of the PO. Nevertheless thanks for making my point, by admitting that Splitter progression has been stopped due to injuries we could have used Ian.

Yes, hindsight is a MF. I too wouldn't mind having Mahmni with the Spurs, this year, but Mahimni is a mav, and I'm not gonna lose sleep on Mahmni being a Mav. Wish him weell.

I agree with you on this last part, I wish him the best and I'm not going to loose sleep for that.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't turn down that production from either of them. Though it's possible that Mahinmi's fouls per game would average over six in 36 minutes. Fouling was really his biggest problem, and bigs usually figure out how not to foul if they can get regular minutes.He didn't figure it out in Austin.
Meh, hardly matters anymore. If the Mavs decide to play him we'll see how good he can be, if not then we'll just keep having these same debates over and over.We'll have the same debates no matter if it matters anymore.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
He didn't figure it out in Austin.

Looks like he averaged 4 fouls per game in Austin in 30 minutes in the regular season and 3 fouls per game in the playoffs in 38 minutes. You might share your standard with the rest of us, but I suspect it's unrealistic if those numbers aren't satisfactory for a fourth or fifth big.

We'll have the same debates no matter if it matters anymore.

:lol Yeah I agree with that. We just can't resist. We're like kids at the dinner table; we always find the same old shit to fight about.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Looks like he averaged 4 fouls per game in Austin in 30 minutes in the regular season and 3 fouls per game in the playoffs in 38 minutes. You might share your standard with the rest of us, but I suspect it's unrealistic if those numbers aren't satisfactory for a fourth or fifth big.My standard was actually watching him play rather than making KBP judgments from stat sheets. There were plenty of times he would get those three or four fouls in a matter of a few minutes, effectively neutering him for defensively for the rest of the game. He was inconsistent when given the minutes. If you want to make a KBP judgment now, it looks like that hasn't changed.

I had high hopes for Ian. Didn't work out.

Dallas just signed another big man. Go figure.

cd98
01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Demarcus Cousins asked to be traded. But I don't trust that guy's attitude. Even with solid veterans on this team he seems too selfish and self centered to be reached.

Caveat Emptor

Spurs da champs
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Splitter getting playing time helped him? So he wasn't a good player until the two preseason games this year? Ridiculous. There's zero justification for not giving him or Mahinmi more time.

Mahinmi got two games of actual playing time in his entire career as a Spur and averaged 14.5 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block and 8 free throw attempts while shooting 62.5% from the floor. In his career when he gets 20 minutes or more he averages 12 points, 7 boards, and shoots 75% from the floor.
Wow you're an idiot I just said Splitter getting playing time helped him but he was already more proven while Ian who again like I said is raw unproven garbage. He got plenty of time in Austin to develop (better his ball control) but obviously he was too bad to play. And btw in his career he averaged that? How much garbage time blowouts were those. smh you think garbage time stats prove something.

210Max
01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Coach pop could turn demawcus cousins into kareem abdul jabbar, lets do it

ChuckD
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Coach pop could turn demawcus cousins into kareem abdul jabbar, lets do it

No one can turn DC into anything. He knows everything and listens to no one. He's a piece of shit and the coaches AND HIS TEAMMATES hate his ass.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
My standard was actually watching him play rather than making KBP judgments from stat sheets.
Yes because nobody else but you saw him play. They don't broadcast Toros games on the internet, and we didn't all watch summer league. At least you didn't go "there must have been something Pop saw in practice" yet, but I'm sure you're dying to. You saving that one?

Truthfully, your standard is making an idiotic statement about his fouling when you didn't know what the fuck you were talking about and it bit you in the ass. Not surprising that, as usual, you won't own up to it.

There were plenty of times he would get those three or four fouls in a matter of a few minutes, effectively neutering him for defensively for the rest of the game.
Oh, then I'll switch gears from KBP mode into ChumpDumper mode: Since there are "plenty of times" then you won't have any problem producing examples.

He was inconsistent when given the minutes. If you want to make a KBP judgment now, it looks like that hasn't changed.
Someone should explain to you how stats work: they're an average of what someone does over a period of time. He produced when given minutes in DLeague, and the team was pretty successful. I wonder how you're going to try to spin that.

I had high hopes for Ian. Didn't work out.
:lol At what point did you develop your agenda? I still have no idea if he's going to be a solid pro, but I'd like to see him get a chance. For some reason you've decided what he's going to be and can't help snarking about it at every given opportunity. I keep hoping we can find out. I'm sure you're praying that Yi prevents it from happening.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes because nobody else but you saw him play. They don't broadcast Toros games on the internet, and we didn't all watch summer league. At least you didn't go "there must have been something Pop saw in practice" yet, but I'm sure you're dying to. You saving that one?Are you saying you watched him or just hoping not to be called out on it?

Truthfully, your standard is making an idiotic statement about his fouling when you didn't know what the fuck you were talking about and it bit you in the ass. Not surprising that, as usual, you won't own up to it.Own up to what? Watching Toros games?

Guilty.

Oh, then I'll switch gears from KBP mode into ChumpDumper mode: Since there are "plenty of times" then you won't have any problem producing examples. So you're saying you never saw it?

After intimating you watched him play as many times as I did?

:lmao

Someone should explain to you how stats work: they're an average of what someone does over a period of time.Sure thing, KBP.
He produced when given minutes in DLeague, and the team was pretty successful. I wonder how you're going to try to spin that.I've already explained about D-League stats -- and specifically for big men. Even his averages can be disappointing. Sorry you missed that.

:lol At what point did you develop your agenda? I still have no idea if he's going to be a solid pro, but I'd like to see him get a chance. For some reason you've decided what he's going to be and can't help snarking about it at every given opportunity. I keep hoping we can find out. I'm sure you're praying that Yi prevents it from happening.You're sure of a lot of things you're wrong about.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Are you saying you watched him or just hoping not to be called out on it?
I watched as many Toros games as were online, and every summer league game in which he participated. That's how I knew you were full of shit enough to go get the stats when you decided to try to bullshit your way through this thread.

Own up to what? Watching Toros games?
No, being full of shit.

Guilty.
Agreed. You're full of shit.

So you're saying you never saw it?
Yes, I watched the games, which is why I know you're full of shit and why I know you're not going to be able to live up to your own standard and show me all these examples of what a foul machine Ian was in D league.

After intimating you watched him play as many times as I did?

I never intimated that I watched him play more than you did. I watched as much as I could not actually being in Austin. Doesn't really matter that you watched him play more, you clearly saw what you wanted to see and have no problem lying about the reality. And since you watched him so much, I'm still waiting for those examples.

I've already explained about D-League stats -- and specifically for big men. Even his averages can be disappointing. Sorry you missed that.
Yes, I'm sorry I missed that too. I'm sure it was very essential to the point you think you're making and absolutely refutes the already-presented statistics that prove you wrong. Now you can declare victory without having to actually provide anything.

You're sure of a lot of things you're wrong about.
Ooh, another snark. You're probably the most clever person in your basement.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
You missed a lot.

If you can find the old game logs, you can look up the play-by-play as easily as I can. By all means - look through all of them.

But you won't.

I know it happened several times simply because I saw it. You didn't watch shit because all the Toros games were online. You didn't even know that.

You're full of shit -- you just proved it with your own words.

lol basement snark

Obstructed_View
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
If you can find the old game logs, you can look up the play-by-play as easily as I can.

Then you'll have no problem doing it. We're waiting.

Obstructed_View
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
all the Toros games were online. You didn't even know that.

Their feed was fucked up for a period of time, and you were relaying games to everyone because you were the only source. Seems like you would have remembered that.

ChumpDumper
01-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Their feed was fucked up for a period of time, and you were relaying games to everyone because you were the only source. Seems like you would have remembered that.So surely you remember exactly which games you watched. I mean, you are merely demanding I give you the exact date and details of the games Ian got into foul trouble.

Tell me, with your powers of total recall that you expect me to have, do you remember my saying Ian got into early foul trouble during a game?

Give the date and the opponent and number of fouls.

Seems like you would have remembered that.

MannyIsGod
01-02-2012, 01:16 AM
God damn OV has started the 2012 with a whole lot of stupid.

TJastal
01-02-2012, 01:52 AM

No, stupid is praising the FO for signing Matt Bonner for 4X what they could have paid Ian for. And actually gotten a return on investment in the playoffs.

analyzed
01-02-2012, 02:34 AM
back to the topic of getting a big, I think the Spurs will eventually sign up a 5th big, but let's not fool ourselves. his sole purpose would be to fil up minutes and have another body for the compressed regular season. As for the playoffs what we have now is it, the only value of a 5th big is simply to manage our bigs minutes

Ice009
01-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Spurs need a 3rd or 4th big, not a 5th big.

GSH
01-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Looks like he averaged 4 fouls per game in Austin in 30 minutes in the regular season and 3 fouls per game in the playoffs in 38 minutes. You might share your standard with the rest of us, but I suspect it's unrealistic if those numbers aren't satisfactory for a fourth or fifth big.

It's only January 2, and you may have already made the stupidest post of 2012. Mahinmi played a grand total of 33 minutes in the playoffs last year, and committed 16 personal fouls. That's an average of 1 foul every two minutes. And you're arguing with ChumpDumper about him getting into foul trouble? Stupid shit - Mahinmi's "3 fouls per game" in the playoffs came in an average of about 6 minutes per game.

Did you even watch the Finals? They brought Ian into the game because Haywood was hurt, and he picked up 3 fouls in 5 minutes, and had to leave. And when they put him back in, he picked up another in like 4 seconds? Do you remember after one of the games, Tyson Chandler said he played tenatively, because he was worried that if he got into foul trouble, the team would have to rely on Mahinmi?

Do any of you fucking loons even remember that Ian only played in 6 playoff games, out of the 21 the Mavs played last year? Why do you think the Mavs want Fesenko?

No, stupid is praising the FO for signing Matt Bonner for 4X what they could have paid Ian for. And actually gotten a return on investment in the playoffs.

No... stupid is ignoring the fact that they guy averaged a foul-out per 10 minutes in the playoffs, and making a big deal out of one good game against Toronto. Unbefuckingbelievable.

TJastal
01-02-2012, 05:00 AM
It's only January 2, and you may have already made the stupidest post of 2012. Mahinmi played a grand total of 33 minutes in the playoffs last year, and committed 16 personal fouls. That's an average of 1 foul every two minutes. And you're arguing with ChumpDumper about him getting into foul trouble? Stupid shit - Mahinmi's "3 fouls per game" in the playoffs came in an average of about 6 minutes per game.

Did you even watch the Finals? They brought Ian into the game because Haywood was hurt, and he picked up 3 fouls in 5 minutes, and had to leave. And when they put him back in, he picked up another in like 4 seconds? Do you remember after one of the games, Tyson Chandler said he played tenatively, because he was worried that if he got into foul trouble, the team would have to rely on Mahinmi?

Do any of you fucking loons even remember that Ian only played in 6 playoff games, out of the 21 the Mavs played last year? Why do you think the Mavs want Fesenko?

No... stupid is ignoring the fact that they guy averaged a foul-out per 10 minutes in the playoffs, and making a big deal out of one good game against Toronto. Unbefuckingbelievable.

Not really a huge issue to foul out when your only slated to play 10-15 minutes max. Besides, I'd rather have a guy giving good hard fouls, playing tough and denying the rim than just letting guys waltz straight in for dunks/layups. And who cares what Chandler said (and I seriously doubt he'd insult a teammate like that through the media). Obviously the mavs liked what they saw out of Mahinmi otherwise he wouldn't be still getting playing time.

As per the mavs/Cuban, they learned over the past decade the value of having real bigmen depth. Their obvious goal the past 4-5 years has been to sign as many cheap bigs as they have roster spots for. While the spurs strategy has been to rid themselves of any extra bigs and instead load up on more swingmen/smallball 4's/shooting "bigs".

Seems to me the mavs strategy has been the right one. It may be a fact that Ian only played in 6 of the 21 playoff games, but they were some of the most important ones and he made solid contributions in those games. What playoff contributions has Bonner made recently? Or hell, ever?

Bottom line I'll take Mahinmi as a backup over Bonner every time, even at the same salary.

venitian navigator
01-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Don't overthink this, sport.

Not really an issue to foul out when your only slated to play 10-15 minutes max. Besides, I'd rather have a guy giving good hard fouls, playing tough and denying the rim than just letting guys waltz straight in for dunks/layups.

As per the mavs/Cuban, they learned over the past decade the value of having real bigmen. Their obvious goal the past 4-5 years has been to sign as many cheap bigs as they have roster spots for. While the spurs strategy has been to rid themselves of any extra bigs and instead load up on more swingmen/smallball 4's/shooting "bigs".

Seems to me the mavs strategy has been the right one. It may be a fact that Ian only played in 6 of the 21 playoff games, but they were easily the most important ones and made solid contributions in those games. What playoff contributions has Bonner made recently? Or hell, ever?

That's a point.
And another is that Ian would have played for us not at the same price of his rookie contract (more than one million dollars in his last year) but at the some amount of money that Dallas was throwing to him (less than one million dollars per two seasons).
True that Ian was a foul machine, but also true that he knew our defensive play book and that he had the defensive skills our team desperately needed (and still needs, also if for a littlle lesser extent given the rising of Splitter minutes).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-02-2012, 05:34 AM
Spurs sitting on thier ass. Just happy to make the payoffs. Holt RC they dont give a fuck. No one in thier right mind would say we should sign Fes with Bonner and Blair on the roster. We have 2 Bigs......TD and or Splitter is bound to get hurt at some point.

Spurs counting on dice to come back and that stung......TD and Manu should be raising hell to get the FO to trade for a big......a couple can be had cheep.......

You obviously haven't been watching Grizzly this year. He's taken a step forward at both ends to my eyes. Which leads us to...

Spurs need a 3rd or 4th big, not a 5th big.

We need a 4th big, and if we can get one we need Pop to play him and keep Bonner for special teams.

Actually, more than anything we need Timmy to be more than a shadow of his former self, however I think those days are behind us... :depressed

Brazil
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
You obviously haven't been watching Grizzly this year. He's taken a step forward at both ends to my eyes. Which leads us to...

We need a 4th big, and if we can get one we need Pop to play him and keep Bonner for special teams.

Actually, more than anything we need Timmy to be more than a shadow of his former self, however I think those days are behind us... :depressed

I agree but I still prefer a 6th or 7th big to no big at all. As of today we have 2 real bigs then we have a SF playing C and a SG with a PF size. No offense to a SG with a PF size when his name is Dirk but when his name is Matt Bonner :lol.

Worst than that we have 4 bigs, for one (Tim) we need to limit his PT maybe around 25 mn with 0 btb or bbb and the other (Bonner) should just see 10 to 15 mn per game maxxx. Then we have Blair even if he is playing better defensively recently, his lack of size is an issue. Globally we have only Tiago as a full time big.

jjktkk
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Manny mentions stupid in a thread, and, low and behold, in pops tjastal. Coincidence? :lol

ChuckD
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Manny mentions stupid in a thread, and, low and behold, in pops tjastal. Coincidence? :lol

Prescience, tbh....

Brazil
01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
So far against OKC in 13 mn 10 pts (5/8) 9 rebounds 3 PF

ChumpDumper
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Why didn't you post the line from his last game?

SequSpur
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
mahinmi sucks balls.

Josepatches_
01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Actually with manu out we'll need Tony being Tony more than a big.

We can't live with him scoring 12,5ppg 40%. Who cares about a big right now

Brazil
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM

because I didn't watch and have no clue of his last game line. Tonight Im watching the game, he has a nice line and he is playing well, so I feel I will post in his thread,

Brazil
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Actually with manu out we'll need Tony being Tony more than a big.

We can't live with him scoring 12,5ppg 40%. Who cares about a big right now

we still have depth for the SG spot we have 0 depth for bigs and no I dont consider bonner a big.

ChumpDumper
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
because I didn't watch and have no clue of his last game line. Tonight Im watching the game, he has a nice line and he is playing well, so I feel I will post in his thread,Would you have posted it were it bad?

Brazil
01-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Would you have posted it were it bad?

I dont think so but who knows...Anyway there is nothing wrong to speak about an ex spurs on a spurs forum in a thread done and not closed to speak about him, right ?

ChumpDumper
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I dont think soSweet.

underdawg
01-02-2012, 10:59 PM

6 & 4, a block and a turnover in 20 minutes isn't that bad and especially considering that none of the Mavs did that well against Minn.

You've had probably more time watching Ian than anyone else that posts here - are you surprised in his development? What do you think is helping him?

ChumpDumper
01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
6 & 4, a block and a turnover in 20 minutes isn't that bad and especially considering that none of the Mavs did that well against Minn.

You've had probably more time watching Ian than anyone else that posts here - are you surprised in his development? What do you think is helping him?Health.

That said, he's not available. I guess people can hope for him or add him to their list of grievances or whatever, but when a player has earned 7 figures in the league, is eligible for his pension and isn't a Spur and won't be in the foreseeable future, I don't really feel the need to hope for or dwell on him.

Arlington Native
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
10 points, 9 rebounds in 20 minutes of play...(including 4 offensive boards)

DMC
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
If Blair gets 2 more minutes, we win the game.

TJastal
01-03-2012, 07:00 AM

per36 this year

Yawn 17.3/6.25
DB 24.7/11

Wonderful. You've pointed out that Blair has been putting up some nice stats to start the season and we're all happy for him. Reallly. But it's not make him grow 3 inches taller. Fact is, Blair is too short to contend with the bigger frontlines of the west (IE LA, Dal, OKC, Port, Memph).

Brazil
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Chump is going to love that bump !

Ian vs. Tiago

my2sons
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
ian looks really impressive ....NOT!

jjktkk
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Chump is going to love that bump !

Ian vs. Tiago

I want my money back. :lol

ChuckD
01-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Wonderful. You've pointed out that Blair has been putting up some nice stats to start the season and we're all happy for him. Reallly. But it's not make him grow 3 inches taller. Fact is, Blair is too short to contend with the bigger frontlines of the west (IE LA, Dal, OKC, Port, Memph).

Seven feet of length doesn't make you good. Case in point: Ian Mahinmi. I'll take Blair over him any day.

Brazil
01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I want my money back. :lol

DAF86
01-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Scola, Mahinmi, Tolliver. I would kill to have any of those guys in a Spurs uniform.

elemento
01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Scola yes, but the other 2 ? Just meh

Plumblbw
01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Scola, Mahinmi, Tolliver. I would kill to have any of those guys in a Spurs uniform.

Isn't Mahinmi still a walking 6 fouls? I remember a video posted on projectspurs.com last year when Parker last played for the French national team. He was ripping Mahinmi a new a5sehole because he was hacking players when Diaw and Turiaf were trying to get a block attempt in. I think that's what I picked up with my limited, but slowly improving French. If Bruno saw the article he could probably translate 100% in a jiffy.

underdawg
01-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Isn't Mahinmi still a walking 6 fouls? I remember a video posted on projectspurs.com last year when Parker last played for the French national team. He was ripping Mahinmi a new a5sehole because he was hacking players when Diaw and Turiaf were trying to get a block attempt in. I think that's what I picked up with my limited, but slowly improving French. If Bruno saw the article he could probably translate 100% in a jiffy.

3.4 fouls per 20 minutes

parker also said the spurs were done - I personally hope he's wrong

underdawg
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Seven feet of length doesn't make you good. Case in point: Ian Mahinmi. I'll take Blair over him any day.

I don't think anyone would necessarily take ian over dejuan, but bonner on the other hand....

ian - 7.5 pts & 4.9 reb in 19.5 mpg

bonner - 5.6 & 2.7 in 18.7 mpg

again, this has nothing to do with acquiring ian but to ponder if the spurs had kept ian and let bonner go. As far as ian being a bad big, the spurs aren't exactly stacked either.

ChuckD
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Ian could be a great player, but hes dumb as rocks and SA has failed to hire a good big man coach.....Outside Tim and D Rob who are one in a decade players we have failed to draft and develop a quality big.

Splitter shows no signs of improvement, and Blairs improvement is minimal at best. We have been good at drafting underrated players and getting the most out of them but as far as bigs......forget it.

Ian would have been the second best big on our roster this year and foul prone or not would have been a nice big to run with the second team. I would love him with Blair.

Think REEEEEAAAL hard: what's different about the other bigs we've drafted and David and Tim? That's right!!! David and Tim were #1 overall picks!!!

Seven footers come and go in the NBA. Very few late picks are ever developed into anything even close to a high pick big man by anyone. It's not a deficiency in our staff. It's real life in the NBA. Deal with it.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Think REEEEEAAAL hard: what's different about the other bigs we've drafted and David and Tim? That's right!!! David and Tim were #1 overall picks!!!

Seven footers come and go in the NBA. Very few late picks are ever developed into anything even close to a high pick big man by anyone. It's not a deficiency in our staff. It's real life in the NBA. Deal with it.

I'm not saying that t2s is right, but what big has this coaching staff developed?

objective
01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Ian developed his game, he was just never allowed to play. There's a big difference in him now with the Mavs or even his rare opportunities his last year in SA compared to his rookie year when he was playing garbage time against the Bucks.

ChuckD
01-07-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm not saying that t2s is right, but what big has this coaching staff developed?

Great bigs aren't developed, they're born.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Great bigs aren't developed, they're born.

I'm not specifically talking about "great" bigs - just bigs that were developed - like LaMarcus Aldridge, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Serge Ibaka, etc.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm not specifically talking about "great" bigs - just bigs that were developed - like LaMarcus Aldridge, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Serge Ibaka, etc.lol three of those guys were lottery picks.

Why can't we develop players like #2 overall selections?

And what other big men have the Spurs drafted and kept for 3+ years?

ChuckD
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
lol three of those guys were lottery picks.

Not to mention:

Blair 11.9/6.4
Serge 7.9/6.3
DeAndre 8.4/7.4
Tiago 6.3/5.3

Stop obsessing about height people, and start looking at results. The Spurs "develop" non lottery bigs about the same as anyone else.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
lol three of those guys were lottery picks.

Ibaka and jordan were not lottery lottery picks - the rest were just examples of bigs that weren't immediately good and were developed into the players they are now.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Not to mention:

Blair 11.9/6.4
Serge 7.9/6.3
DeAndre 8.4/7.4
Tiago 6.3/5.3

Stop obsessing about height people, and start looking at results. The Spurs "develop" non lottery bigs about the same as anyone else.

all fine and good unless you are trying to improve your defense - why don't you list the blocks per game too?

ChuckD
01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
all fine and good unless you are trying to improve your defense - why don't you list the blocks per game too?

Players selected outside the lottery all have flaws. The offense of Ibaka and Jordan is rudimentary at best. Blair doesn't block shots. He's a monster with those quick hands and long arms, though, and isn't a turnover a turnover?

ChumpDumper
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Ibaka and jordan were not lottery lottery picks - the rest were just examples of bigs that weren't immediately good and were developed into the players they are now.Why were they lottery picks in the first place?

And you never answered my question.

Don't bother.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Why were they lottery picks in the first place?

And you never answered my question.

Don't bother.

sorry dude, but I was on a tablet and in the middle of something, so my response was limited - lighten up.

I kind of touched on your question when I asked chuck what big this coaching staff had developed and of course the answer is none.

Lottery picks are lottery picks for several different reasons (skill, size, athleticism, etc.) - Aldridge had a good college career, Chandler had a decent college career and Bynum was drafted mostly because of size and athleticism. All 3 were also picked high because of potential, but that potential had to be developed.

Spurs can't afford a big man - I get it and I think pretty much everyone gets it. The Spurs FO has shown itself to be mediocre at best in bringing in quality free agents (not all stars - just quality free agents) over the past few years.

That's why I believe that until either of the above issues are resolved, the Spurs only hope in getting help for the front line is to take a chance on 1 or 35 raw or undeveloped bigs and hope that they can develop said player into a serviceable big (utility type player). Maybe there are better options, but I don't see any this year other than a trade and it's only a matter of time before the Spurs start to get punished in important games because of the lack of depth on their front line.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Players selected outside the lottery all have flaws. The offense of Ibaka and Jordan is rudimentary at best. Blair doesn't block shots. He's a monster with those quick hands and long arms, though, and isn't a turnover a turnover?

I like Blair but at the end of the day, he's not what the Spurs need to be a better defensive team - Blair would do better on a team like the Knicks or the Clippers.

He'll get some steals early on for sure, but over time teams will adjust and you're still left with an undersized center with a limited post game.

jjktkk
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I like Blair but at the end of the day, he's not what the Spurs need to be a better defensive team - Blair would do better on a team like the Knicks or the Clippers.

He'll get some steals early on for sure, but over time teams will adjust and you're still left with an undersized center with a limited post game.

Unless your owner has deep pockets, or your picking in the lottery, your success rate in developing bigs good enough to at least be a rotation player is hit and miss.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Unless your owner has deep pockets, or your picking in the lottery, your success rate in developing bigs good enough to at least be a rotation player is hit and miss.

I get that, but you don't stand pat as other teams improve or keep trying to make something ineffective work.

I think it's great that Neal got a chance, that Green's getting a chance (leonard too) and I would welcome a young undeveloped big get a shot this year or next. Other than a trade or a miracle in FA, I don't see any other option.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Such drama.

jjktkk
01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I get that, but you don't stand pat as other teams improve or keep trying to make something ineffective work.

I think it's great that Neal got a chance, that Green's getting a chance (leonard too) and I would welcome a young undeveloped big get a shot this year or next. Other than a trade or a miracle in FA, I don't see any other option.

Easier to find guards than bigs.

SenorSpur
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
That's a point.
And another is that Ian would have played for us not at the same price of his rookie contract (more than one million dollars in his last year) but at the some amount of money that Dallas was throwing to him (less than one million dollars per two seasons).
True that Ian was a foul machine, but also true that he knew our defensive play book and that he had the defensive skills our team desperately needed (and still needs, also if for a littlle lesser extent given the rising of Splitter minutes).

This.

SenorSpur
01-07-2012, 10:32 PM
The Mavs coach has been very happy with Mahinimi's progress so he's getting more minutes. He played 28 last night compared to 19 for the starter

"Mahinmi hit all six field goal attempts, went 7 for 11 from the free throw line, and added five rebounds and two blocked shots.
“I know this was a career high in points for him, but the last two nights he’s given us a really high level of energy,” Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said.“He’s given us a physical presence, he’s a combative guy, and he was really big for us tonight.”

More importantly he's learning to control his PF (4) and only had one turnover. I watch a lot of Mavs games and he really is better now than he showed here. There were several times where he moved without the ball and was open down low for a layup or dunk but didn't get the ball. He runs the court hard on offense and defense.

The guy never played much here and had very little BB background so it took him more time to develop than the Spurs were willing to invest. I don't remember the other options the FO preferred when they let him go but they weren't young athletic big men.

And this.

It may not be as simple as this, but it certainly appears to me that the FO chose Bonner over Ian. A decision which makes sense to no one but Pop. Bonner is proven mental midget and the team's resident playhoff choker. Yet he gets instantly rewarded. The Spurs rushed to resign him immediately upon the July start of free agency. Ian, on the other hand, got nothing but a low-cost offer by their division rival.

The mere fact that we're even having a discussion concerning the Spurs "lack of bigs" to start this season, while one year ago, the FO brass made the decision allow a young, developing big to walk without so much as an attempt to try and retain him at a lower price, really makes that decision appear foolish one year later. Absolutely no foresight on the part of the FO on this.

SenorSpur
01-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Ian developed his game, he was just never allowed to play. There's a big difference in him now with the Mavs or even his rare opportunities his last year in SA compared to his rookie year when he was playing garbage time against the Bucks.

And this too.

Ian may still have a lower ceiling than expected, but at least he's starting to look like a serviceable rotation player. A big who has a skill set the Spurs are certainly missing.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Never can say goodbye....

SenorSpur
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Never can say goodbye....

I know man.

And having to watch Bonner's on-court dufusness only makes it worse.

Good news is this will be my last rant.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I know man.

And having to watch Bonner's on-court dufusness only makes it worse.

Good news is this will be my last rant.Until the next one.

venitian navigator
01-08-2012, 08:12 AM
As of now, we're evidently still a big short...'cause Diogu (like Blair), also if could be developed in a good player in our system (we need scoring bigs in the paint), doesn't have the skills I think are necessary for playing with a "small" unit...I mean, more than all, being a defensive presence in the middle (shot blocking).
What is fun, is that still now (aside of Mahinmi, that's playing too well for dallas to be traded), more than one big with these skills are on the market and most of them are free agents that could probably be signed for the minimum or, however, for an amount of money we still have the chance to use.

Just for putting some names out :

via trade : Thabeet

free agents : Fesenko, Gadzuric, Przybilla, E. Thomas, Elson, Dampier, Skinner.

imho It's frankly weird that the F.O. is not trying to at last talk with some of these player's teams or agents.

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2012, 08:27 AM
And this too.

Ian may still have a lower ceiling than expected, but at least he's starting to look like a serviceable rotation player. A big who has a skill set the Spurs are certainly missing.

his force to play cause the mavs have shit all at centre and bigs....brenda lol and no chandler...

rascal
01-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Nice to know there are still a few little Tparks running around.

Whatever happened to TParks (EricB)?
I don't see him around here anymore.

jag
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
The Spurs FO has shown itself to be mediocre at best in bringing in quality free agents (not all stars - just quality free agents) over the past few years.

Oh you mean guys like Finley, Gooden, McDyess, Horry, Oberto, Roger Mason (people forget how much he contributed when he wasn't playing PG), Gary Neal and Danny Green.

I'm not sure who you expect them to bring in considering they have no $$. They go after bigger names but usually lose out because other teams have more money to offer. Sometimes they would lure players by offering the chance to play for a title (Finley), but that's not exactly the case anymore.

Many of the people bitching about Mahinmi don't actually care about Ian, they just like to bitch.

mathbzh
01-08-2012, 09:56 AM
his force to play cause the mavs have shit all at centre and bigs....brenda lol and no chandler...

8/5 in 20 mpg
PER 17.3
On/Off court: Offense +5.6 Defense -12.7 Net +18.3 pts/100 possessions

Still early in the season but no matter why he is playing , Ian looks productive.

jjktkk
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
many of the people bitching about mahinmi don't actually care about ian, they just like to bitch.

underdawg
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
The Reserve Big Man Problem (Real GM)

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/218109/The_Reserve_Big_Man_Problem

ace3g
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Spurs should sign Etan Thomas next.

underdawg
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Spurs should sign Etan Thomas next.

Or wait until after the d-league showcase and pick up some young legs that can make it down the court before the refs do:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/prospect_watch_showcase_2012_01_09.html

I hope the Spurs look at Greg Smith - 21 years old

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Smith-5817/

rvman21
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
What's wrong with Bonner

cheguevara
01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
could we convince Yao out of retirement?

slick'81
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Ian Mahinmi scored 10 points on 5-of-8 shooting with nine rebounds, one steal, and no blocks in 21 minutes off the bench on Monday.
Starter Brendan Haywood scored six points with eight boards and two blocks in 26 minutes, but entered tonight averaging just 5.0 points, 5.2 boards, and 0.8 blocks in 18.5 minutes. Meanwhile, Mahinmi has averaged 7.8 points and 3.2 boards with 0.4 steals and 0.6 blocks in the same amount of time, but has looked much better in the process.

wow ian a starter in dallas gtfo :wow