PDA

View Full Version : Expect to see more of what Gregg Popovich did Thurs

underdawg
12-31-2011, 02:55 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/30/expect-to-see-more-of-what-gregg-popovich-did-thursday/

thOOdee
12-31-2011, 03:02 AM
i'm all for it...its more fun......as long as that shit head bonner gets less and less minutes.

GSH
12-31-2011, 03:03 AM
If some of our bench had gotten more minutes over the last few seasons, we would be a better team right now. But I think Pop would have sat some of the starters last night, even if it had been the last game before the All-Star break.

Obstructed_View
12-31-2011, 05:23 AM
More minutes for all those kids is going to be nothing but good for the Spurs down the road. Remember Charles Smith and Stephen Jackson getting a lot of run when they were young? One of them emerged.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 10:07 AM
In a compressed schedule like this, you can't afford to chase after any game where you are down more than 20pts maybe halfway through the third. Even if you were to come back, and the odds would be less than even I would think, you've probably just sacrificed the next game in doing so.

The_Worlds_finest
12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
thank you professor obvious...

silverblk mystix
12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I can understand the thinking-but I hate it.

Here we go again with Pop throwing in white flags and making his team mentally soft.

I do like the fact that the young guys get more burn but I fear it is just too easy to mentally accept defeats anytime the road gets tough...

Now...

If the young guys actually refuse to lose and THEY make comebacks and Pop leaves them in to win or lose----that might be fun!

The_Worlds_finest
12-31-2011, 11:34 AM
If the young guys actually refuse to lose and THEY make comebacks and Pop leaves them in to win or lose----that might be fun!

This reminds me of a game last year where are bench won or came close to beating some starters. I cant recall if it was preseason or regular.

Giuseppe
12-31-2011, 11:46 AM
It's latent fear that compells Pop to act in this pathology. He can't face the fear of trying & losing, so he doesn't try. It's an American thing invented during the Carter administration.

ChumpDumper
12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
It's latent fear that compells Pop to act in this pathology. He can't face the fear of trying & losing, so he doesn't try. It's an American thing invented during the Carter administration.No, it was the media!

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 01:13 PM
thank you professor obvious...

You're welcome, gnsf.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I can understand the thinking-but I hate it.

Here we go again with Pop throwing in white flags and making his team mentally soft.

I do like the fact that the young guys get more burn but I fear it is just too easy to mentally accept defeats anytime the road gets tough...

Now...

Or, make them mentally tough EARLIER in games. Players like Manu and Tim hate this as much as you do. Now, they know they can't let the games get away.

Pop said this would likely be an early season tactic, and would be evaluated game to game.

Giuseppe
12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
No, it was the media!

Nope. Not in this case. Pop is just afraid to try. It's an innate character flaw. Pop's pop, or his ma is the culprit.

ChuckD
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Who left the basement door open?

Giuseppe
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Who left the basement door open?

The water man? Anybody remember the Water Man? You'd be sittin' in the house, having dinner, the side door would fly open and a man dressed in kacki's would fly down the basement stairs with a loud "Water Man!!" epitaph. He'd read the meter, then, back up the stairs he'd stomp and out the door...

...the old man would look over at me:::"how was school today, Cubby?":lol

"The problem with time I've learned......eventually time always runs out."

DMC
12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
The Spurs are the team with the 5 shot revolver, 5 silver bullets, in a field with semi-autos with full magazines and backups. We probably cannot win, but we cannot go out blazing in the 1st minute and think we have a chance. We have to pick our spots, use our silver bullets carefully and hope we have at least one if we are still around when there are only two standing.

therealtruth
12-31-2011, 07:29 PM
The only good thing about the strategy is he's allowing the young players to develop. There was a fear Pop was going to give Kawhi the Splitter treatment.