PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Spanish rice?

PM5K
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
You guys were helpful in the past with fideo, how about Spanish rice?

I know my step-mom uses chicken bouillon, but that's all I know.

Suggestions, recipes, etc?

TIA

Smart Ass
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/53/00/43/0001530043053_500X500.jpg

baseline bum
01-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Arroz a la Mexicana (con Verduras)

The flavors here are of nutty browned rice, tomato and good broth—classic, familiar Mexican flavors. It’s not surprising, then, that this red rice is found in every settlement, nor that it finds regional transformations into main courses with meat and fish. This traditional recipe comes from Sra. Villalobos of Juchitán, Oaxaca—with a few modifications from open cazuelas and wood fires to closed pans and gas. It is a good accompaniment to most any main course or can be served comida corrida—style as a second course, after the soup and before the poultry, meat or what have you; it works fine on a buffet or, if your reflexes are so trained, can go on the plate with beans and enchiladas, a la norteamericana.

YIELD: about 3 1⁄2 cups, 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup long- or medium-grain rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, peeled and finely diced
1 ripe, medium-small tomato, roasted or boiled, cored and peeled
OR 1⁄2 15-ounce can tomatoes, drained
1 1⁄2 cups broth (preferably poultry) or water
Salt, about 1⁄2 teaspoon if using salted broth, 1 teaspoon if using unsalted broth or water
1 cup fresh or (defrosted) frozen peas (optional)
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1⁄4-inch dice (optional)
Several sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro) or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

1. Frying the rice. About 40 minutes before serving, measure the oil into a 1 1⁄2- to 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Add the rice and onion, and cook, stirring regularly, until both are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook a minute longer.

2. The liquid ingredients. While the rice is frying, prepare the tomato: Seed it, if you like, by cutting it in half width-wise and squeezing out the seeds, then puree it in a blender or food processor. Pour the broth or water into a small pan, add the salt and bring just to a simmer.

3. Simmering and steaming the rice. Add the pureed tomato to the browned rice and cook for a minute, stirring several times. Add the simmering broth, stir the rice, scrape down the sides of the pot, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the rice stand 5 to 10 minutes, covered, until the grains are tender (but not splayed).

4. The optional vegetables. While the rice is cooking, simmer the fresh peas until tender (4 to 20 minutes, depending on their size and freshness), then drain and set aside; frozen peas only need to be defrosted. Separately, simmer the carrot 5 to 8 minutes, drain and add to the fresh or defrosted peas.

5. Finishing the rice. When the rice is tender, add the optional vegetables and fluff with a fork to separate the grains and stop the cooking. Scoop the rice into a warm serving dish, decorate it with fresh coriander or parsley, and it is ready to serve.

DPG21920
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Spanish Rice:

Ingredients:

- 3T Vegetable oil
-1.5 c Long grain rice
-1 Clove garlic minced
-1/4th Medium onion chopped
-1 Large tomato peeled and chopped (or use 1/2 can of rotel)
-3c Chicken bouillon or broth

Directions:

Heat oil in 10" skillet on med-hi heat. Add rice, stir until it begins to brown; stir continuously. Add onion and garlic. When the onion is clear add the tomatoes. Keep mixing 1 minute. Stir in boiling broth. Cover turn to simmer and cook 20 minutes.

pass1st
01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making+spanish+rice&oq=making+spanish+rice&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=64l2110l0l2205l19l14l0l4l4l0l166l1200l3.7l1 0l0

Wild Cobra
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
How do I make Spanish rice?
You start with a sweet beautiful Spanish lady (http://www.google.com/search?q=beautiful+spanish+women&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=DaY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=bRQBT8vYLYGciQLAo5WVDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1115&bih=978).

PM5K
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Went with yours DPG21920, not bad for my first time, everyone seemed to like it more than I did.

cantthinkofanything
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Went with yours DPG21920, not bad for my first time, everyone seemed to like it more than I did.

not suprising given your unbridled racist hatred

CosmicCowboy
01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
This is my basic recipe when I'm cooking for guys at the ranch...might want to tone it down a little for families/kids...add more japs if you like it extra warm.

Put two heaping tablespoons of manteca in a big cast iron skillet medium high heat.
Add several peeled garlic and brown to flavor the oil.
Add the quantity of rice you want and add diced onion and jalapeno at the same time. For about 8 servings I use one medium sweet yellow onion and 3 medium size jalapenos (seeded).
Brown until rice is golden brown and onions are almost translucent.
Depending on the amount of rice you used then add the appropriate amount of liquid based on the rice directions...
For serving 8 I will use 1 can Rotel (I actually use Hatch brand diced tomatoes/jalapenos), 1 small can tomato paste, and the rest chicken broth. (Just count the liquid from the Rotel...I will strain that into the measuring cup with a fork and then dump the solids into the rice)
Season liberally with Fiesta Taco Seasoning...(has just the right amount of cumen, garlic powder, etc.)
Cover and simmer till all liquid is absorbed, let stand 5 minutes covered, toss and serve.

JoeChalupa
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I keep mine very simple.
1 cup of rice
2 cups broth
salt, pepper
clove of garlice and a palm full of cumin seeds and mash together
1 small can of tomato sauce
chopped onion to taste, again I dont measure
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon of oild but I dont measure I just pour a small amount in the pan.
Lightly brown rice in oil stirring constantly. Add onions
Add tomato sauce, broth, and seasonings.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

DPG21920
01-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Cool, glad I could help. It's a solid recipe that most like. I like to use spicy rotel sometimes and kick up the heat.

Bender
01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
everyone seemed to like it more than I did.
might have just been being nice...