PDA

View Full Version : Yi Jianlian considered signing with the Spurs

Uriel
01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Sources said Yi also considered signing with the Golden State Warriors (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors) and San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) before settling on Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7409294/dallas-mavericks-yi-jianlian-agree-one-year-deal-sources-say

ChumpDumper
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
They always do.

Spursfan092120
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM
They always do.

Hooks
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Soft as hell, but 10x better than Bonner.

cd98
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Hope the Spurs didn't consider signing him. Big difference. Also, have fun never getting any playing time.

Spursfanfromafar
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Bullet ..dodged... new Chinese saying... "As Dumb as Yi Jianlian", "The Chairman".

How many teams has he played with (screwed?) since being drafted? And since when did the Spurs of all teams recruit a low talent, low IQ, poor defense basketball player?

blkroadrunners
01-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Bullet ..dodged... new Chinese saying... "As Dumb as Yi Jianlian", "The Chairman".

How many teams has he played with (screwed?) since being drafted? And since when did the Spurs of all teams recruit a low talent, low IQ, poor defense basketball player?

My thoughts exactly.

ChuckD
01-02-2012, 09:30 AM
He would have been a nice pick up if leg is good. 24 yr old 7-1 who can shoot it and pass. Could play 3 or 4. With Splitter or TD or Blair. Dal is loading up at the 4-5.

We need to make a move.....Spurs still hope to make a run at KMart in Feb.

Did your "sources" tell you that? :lol Did they also tell you he can't sign anywhere until March, when the CBL season AND playoffs are over?

dbestpro
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Great signing by Mavs. They need tough defense and rebounding and this guy plays a soft SF. One more guy to ensure poor chemistry for the Mavs.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
clearly the mavs are fkn tankin...

timvp
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
FWIW, I remember Pop had really high praise for Yi back in his rookie year. Although he was saying it to a Chinese reporter and Pop was in a good mood and being extra hyperbolic. Wonder if anyone can find Pop's quote . . .

DPG21920
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
FWIW, I remember Pop had really high praise for Yi back in his rookie year. Although he was saying it to a Chinese reporter and Pop was in a good mood and being extra hyperbolic. Wonder if anyone can find Pop's quote . . .

From Tiger's Claw magazine:

"The way he [Yi] spreads the floor for a big man is really impressive. He's got a clean stroke and a fearlessness in spreading the floor I really admire. If he keeps developing the way I think he can, he will spread the floor for many teams for years to come.

dbestpro
01-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Popspeak Translation: He's a soft big man who plays like a small forward, will take bad shots from outside, and as a result will not be able to stick with any one team for very long.

Mel_13
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Popspeak Translation: He's a soft big man who plays like a small forward, will take bad shots from outside, and as a result will not be able to stick with any one team for very long.

check your sarcasm detector

GB20
01-02-2012, 02:39 PM
why don't we bring Ryan Richard, he is big and has a nice jump shot to spread the floor?

ElNono
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
The downside of not adding Yi is that you lose 1 billion All-Star game votes...

Mel_13
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
The downside of not adding Yi is that you lose 1 billion All-Star game votes...

Upside really, Tim could really use the rest this year.

ChuckD
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
[imagines the meltdown of the forum if we signed someone softer than Bonner, AND a worse shooter from beyond the arc]

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank fuck we didn't sign him.

If we want another big, why not grab someone like Ike Diogu for the minimum. He's a banger, plays hard, sticks to his role. Decent as a 5th big.

redskinfan
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Suckered the Mavs again with the we are looking at him...lmao!

SenorSpur
01-03-2012, 06:29 PM

If we want another big, why not grab someone like Ike Diogu for the minimum. He's a banger, plays hard, sticks to his role. Decent as a 5th big.

Ruff, you must've been looking into your crystal ball or perhaps you have a hotline into Pop.

Good call on this one!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Look at that - I called the Diogu signing hours before it happened! :rollin

Ruff, you must've been looking into your crystal ball or perhaps you have a hotline into Pop.

Good call on this one!

Yeah, wow! I saw him play quite a bit last year with the Clips and he seemed like a fine 4-5th big to me, so I've been wondering why no-one had signed him. Glad he's a Spur, and I think he can give us at least what Mahinmi could, and more than Yi for certain. He's a bit lumbering, but solid and a hard worker.

SenorSpur
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Yeah, wow! I saw him play quite a bit last year with the Clips and he seemed like a fine 4-5th big to me, so I've been wondering why no-one had signed him. Glad he's a Spur, and I think he can give us at least what Mahinmi could, and more than Yi for certain. He's a bit lumbering, but solid and a hard worker.

He couldn't possibly be any more lumbering than Bonner. And considering that he is, as you say "solid" and seemingly plays around the basket, that would make him the perfect antidote to the lumbering, red-headed, 3-pt shooting, playoff choker.

Ice009
01-03-2012, 11:16 PM

haha awesome call Ruff, can't believe you got this, as no one had this guy on the radar.

Has Ike got any upside to improve? How old is he? What are his strengths?

jimo2305
01-04-2012, 02:36 AM

proof RC buford is lurking amongst us :lol