View Full Version : Spurs assign Cory Joseph to Toros

bklynspursfan
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120103_cory_joseph_assigned_austin_toros

bklynspursfan
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Some reaction from Twitter....

@Pounding the Rock
I smell something fishy about this move...

@Pounding the Rock
Spurs assign Cory Joseph to Austin Toros - Wait what?! #GoSpursGo sbn.to/wYlSEk

timvp
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Weird timing. Why send Joseph to the Toros after Ginobili is injured? Until at least Neal is back and proven he can play, why take a guard off the roster?

If Neal can't go against the Warriors, the Spurs will have only 11 available instead of the max 13.

cantthinkofanything
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Some reaction from Twitter....

@Pounding the Rock
I smell something fishy about this move...

@Pounding the Rock
Spurs assign Cory Joseph to Austin Toros - Wait what?! #GoSpursGo sbn.to/wYlSEk

yep. they are loading up the Toros to make a run at the NBADL title. Look for Leonard to be assigned soon.

bklynspursfan
01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Weird timing. Why send Joseph to the Toros after Ginobili is injured? Until at least Neal is back and proven he can play, why take a guard off the roster?

If Neal can't go against the Warriors, the Spurs will have only 11 available instead of the max 13.

Agreed... But I have no idea what they've got going on..

@Pounding the Rock
In other words, something has to be up...

@Pounding the Rock
Gregg Popovich can't play 10 players without Manu...No offense to Gary, but if he was #11, it wouldn't make that much of a difference

bklynspursfan
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
yep. they are loading up the Toros to make a run at the NBADL title. Look for Leonard to be assigned soon.

:lol well at least they can win a title! Maybe they'll assign Timmy there to so he goes out with a championship

Bruno
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I guess Neal looked good enough during Monday's practice session with the Toros to play tomorrow against GSW. Maybe Spurs will sign too soon a bigman. They badly need one with 6 games in 8 days (3 b2b) coming from Spurs. Przybilla was said to give his answer just after the new year. Maybe it's him or maybe it's their plan b if he has turned down Spurs offer.

timvp
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I guess Neal looked good enough during Monday's practice session with the Toros to play tomorrow against GSW.

I'm not sure what time the Toros practice but the Spurs could have made this decision after watching Neal in two practices. The timing of sending Joseph down would still be pretty weird since if it made sense to send him down now, it should have made sense to send him down a week ago.

The only scenario that allows the timing to make sense would be:

-Spurs keep Danny Green out of training camp but plan to waive him once they sign the fifth big. After waiving Green, CJ would have a role (albeit a small role) with the Spurs.

-Manu Ginobili gets hurt and Green plays well in recent games.

-Spurs decide to keep Green.

-Neal ready to go.

-CJ no longer even has an outside chance of having a role with the big league team.

spurs50_
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
how about sending tj ford instead?

venitian navigator
01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Ther's only one way to read it : the F.O. wants to send the players a supposedly strong signal that they're gonna compete for play offs till Manu is coming back and that the players they've considered still not ready to contribute will not be allowed to "disturb" the ones (Parker, TJ Ford, possibly Neal) that actually are entitled to play-make the team in Manu's absence.

That said, apart from the "psyco-finesse" aspects, this move make no sense.
Joseph looked more than decent in pre season and his one of the only two pure point guards in our team. Given the fact that play making will suffer 'cause of Manu forced absence, I don't understand how send him in the d-league can effectively help our team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
should be makin more moves to tank....

ChumpDumper
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the plan was to send him down after a few games all along. People tend to overanalyze these things.

Imp23
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the plan was to send him down after a few games all along. People tend to overanalyze these things.

I would have to agree. Would I do it now, Hell no.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I would have to agree. Would I do it now, Hell no.Eh, his play has been fiercely overrated.

And at the risk over overanalyzing things myself, I'll go ahead and speculate the timing could have something to do with the Toros' schedule -- three games in four days and then two games in the D-League showcase after that next week. That will give the staff a nice sample of playing time to see where Joseph is right now and potentially show him off to other teams for trade purposes.[/hypocrisy]

stephen jackson
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
shoulda sent down tony tbh

underdawg
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Gary Neal will be on the court at the Spurs' practice facility for a full session with his team. Temporarily, it won't be with the Spurs. Neal underwent an appendectomy Dec. 12 and has been doing conditioning work for more than a week. But the Spurs have been unable to practice with their busy schedule, which hasn't allowed Neal to get the contact work the team's medical staff wants him to have before suiting up for a game. The Spurs' Development League team, the Austin Toros, were a perfect solution for a rehab stint. The second-year shooting guard, who was in Austin on Tuesday for practice, is likely to be back on the court with the Spurs by week's end. San Antonio Express-New (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-expect-Neal-back-this-week-2437725.php)

ChumpDumper
01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Ah, the Toros are practicing at the Spurs facility. Nice for them.

DMC
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
CJ is not ready for the NBA, regardless of Manu's condition.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I really like what I see from Danny Green, except when he got blocked by Rubio, but to be honest, it was more like a steal, a bad one at that.

But anyways, Danny is tenacious on defense, and his offensive flow isn't terrible for his limited minutes. I feel like this guy can be a surprise for the Spurs.

& there's no way the Spurs have given up on CJ, he needs a season with the Toros, but he is an awesome defensive PG, he is also long, quick, and confident. He'll be back. But I can see the Spurs picking up another guard now.

jjktkk
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
& there's no way the Spurs have given up on CJ, he needs a season with the Toros, but he is an awesome defensive PG, he is also long, quick, and confident. He'll be back. But I can see the Spurs picking up another guard now.

This. We have to remember that CJ was one and done at UT. The kid has got some nice skills, but is still raw and needs some seasoning, which he can't get consistantly with the Spurs right now. Imo, I expect CJ will be the Spurs starting pg within a couple of years.

underdawg
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Ah, the Toros are practicing at the Spurs facility. Nice for them.

hey chump - what do you know about Mychel Thompson? I'm not saying he's the best option, but you have to like his 3 pt #'s

Ocotillo
01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
This is best for Joseph. He needs to play and he needs practice neither of which he is going to get in this shortened season. He should have a future with the team though in the long run.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
hey chump - what do you know about Mychel Thompson? I'm not saying he's the best option, but you have to like his 3 pt #'sHaven't really seen enough of him to make a call. I think he's currently on the Cavs.

Most of the other good shooters in the D-League are pretty one-dimensional, so he might have an advantage over those.

DMC
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't think CJ will have a future with this team. He might get some call ups but I doubt he does much. Every year these scrubs get all this praise and every year they do nothing to earn it.

It's those like Neal who take advantage of their opportunities but have also played on the bigger stage who will do ok against the likes of a CJ.

GB20
01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
the toros just got a true point guard on cory joseph. i think he is going to replace tony parker on a few years.

jjktkk
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't think CJ will have a future with this team. He might get some call ups but I doubt he does much. Every year these scrubs get all this praise and every year they do nothing to earn it.

It's those like Neal who take advantage of their opportunities but have also played on the bigger stage who will do ok against the likes of a CJ.

I think Joseph will be the exception. Although he only played one year in Texas, he showed leadership and defensive ability. With Parker getting older, Joseph has a shot to be the pg of the future with the Spurs.

AFBlue
01-03-2012, 11:07 PM
This move was inevitable. CJ needs 30 minutes a night learning and running the Spurs O...especially with so few practice opportunities at the NBA level.

venitian navigator
01-04-2012, 04:28 AM
I think Joseph will be the exception. Although he only played one year in Texas, he showed leadership and defensive ability. With Parker getting older, Joseph has a shot to be the pg of the future with the Spurs.

It's important to take in consideration that, differently from other young players, ha has every year the chance to grow making international experience with his (Canada) national team...and that can only enhance his chances to become a better player.

ChumpDumper
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
The Toros are giving away some free tickets for Joseph's debut on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/austintoros

Still might be some free Spurs/Suns tickets if you buy tickets for Friday's Toros game, too.

DMC
01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see him play. If he was worth a ticket, he would be on the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see him playI just told you you don't have to pay anything.

timvp
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I just told you you don't have to pay anything.

:lol

Bill_Brasky
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't pay 20 cents to see him play. If he was worth a ticket, he would be on the Spurs.

http://i43.tinypic.com/24yab76.jpg

angelbelow
01-04-2012, 08:28 PM

lolol

benefactor
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
:lol

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Friday's game is going to be on FSSW.

Joseph vs. Ostertag!

Werdsniper2
01-05-2012, 05:33 AM
I've got to be honest here. I just don't think Joseph will ever be a capable guard for the Spurs. He just seems like another ordinary second round player to me. No more, no less. In 2 years or so, he will be forgotten. Anyone else get that feeling?

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 05:36 AM
I've got to be honest here. I just don't think Joseph will ever be a capable guard for the Spurs. He just seems like another ordinary second round player to me. No more, no less. In 2 years or so, he will be forgotten. Anyone else get that feeling?Among ordinary second rounders, Joseph is unique in that he was picked in the first round.

Werdsniper2
01-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Among ordinary second rounders, Joseph is unique in that he was picked in the first round.

I must admit, I laughed. However, what I meant was, he just seems like a typical ordinary second round talent to me. It was a shallow draft after all... If it were a deeper draft, he would almost certainly have gone late in the second round.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 05:44 AM
You have a point, but he's a 20 year old drafted for his potential down the line. I personally haven't seen enough him to even have a feeling about him. Looking forward to tonight's game.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
The Toros just waived their backup point guard to make room for the return of Lance Thomas. That may mean Joseph is going to be there long term. The team is pretty stacked as it is.

timvp
01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
You'd think they'd get Squeaky back sometime relatively soon. I can't imagine the Hornets think he's an actual NBA player. On Spurs summer league teams, he played the role of third point guard / mascot.

timvp
01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
As for CJ tonight, going against Jerome Randle will be a good test. Randle did well in preseason this year.

CD, are you going to the game?

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
You'd think they'd get Squeaky back sometime relatively soon. I can't imagine the Hornets think he's an actual NBA player. On Spurs summer league teams, he played the role of third point guard / mascot.Squeaky and Dell go way back, so if they keep anyone, it'll be him. That would be a really uncomfortable logjam at the point if he came back, though Justin Dentmon is still just a short off guard.

As for CJ tonight, going against Jerome Randle will be a good test. Randle did well in preseason this year.

CD, are you going to the game?I'll be there. On pretty much all the teams the Toros face in the next couple of weeks there are solid scoring threats Joseph should be called on to cover. It's a nice stretch to figure out where he is defensively.

Fabbs
01-05-2012, 03:15 PM

CD, are you going to the game?
I thought timvp= rumphumper.

ChumpDumper
01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought timvp= rumphumper.We talk to myself online to sustain the illusion.

jgome21
01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I like it. Joseph wasn't going to play regardless of Manu's injury. Might as well get him some experience with the Torros.

jjktkk
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:l ol:lol:lol:lol

Gotdam, that some funny shit! Straight up def comedy Jam yo!

Trill Clinton
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I like this move for CJ. I miiiight go to the game on Friday night.

timvp
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM

We talk to myself online to sustain the illusion.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Looked completely lost in the halfcourt last night, but the whole team is currently a mess due to roster churn. Pretty decent in transition on offense and defense. Was largely a spectator during crunch time but I think he just doesn't know much about his teammates yet. Got to the line well enough.

We can all see if he improves tonight on TV.

timvp
01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, CJ's stats weren't too pretty:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120105/MNEAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100117

With as low a level as the DLeague is currently, any legit NBA prospect will put up huge numbers. That said, CJ hadn't played for a while and is brand new to the system so he should be given a couple games to get his feet wet.

ChumpDumper
01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't like that they are starting Dentmon and Joseph together. The roster is too deep to have their two point guards out there at the same time from the beginning. I think it led to a lot of early confusion.

timvp
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
We can all see if he improves tonight on TV.

Tuned in.

Anyone else watching?

ace3g
01-06-2012, 08:31 PM
tuned in as well, want to see how Butler looks to.

ace3g
01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
lol Ostertag

timvp
01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Yi Jianlian also playing.

Pretty should be pretty interesting.

timvp
01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Damn, there is some horrible defense out there.

Sense
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Where does one tune in for this?

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Watching.

Dentmon is not afraid to shoot.

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
So far Cory seems to have Blair syndrome; not finishing well at the rim. Good hustle though.

timvp
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Justin Dentmon is the worst type of player to have on a DLeague team: a chucker who has no NBA future who will take away touches for legit prospects.

timvp
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Da'Sean Butler chunkier than ever.

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Yi really wishes he was Dirk.

timvp
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Does CJ ever not hunch over?

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Zeller is just putrid.

timvp
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Why does Zeller even play basketball?

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Way to not find a wide open Cory on the break. Thank god Zeller is getting off the floor.....

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Justin Dentmon is the worst type of player to have on a DLeague team: a chucker who has no NBA future who will take away touches for legit prospects.

Youre right, he plays like he thinks hes at the rec

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:28 PM
So many lobs.....

timvp
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
This Zeller never averaged 5 points in college. Are the Spurs thinking they got one of his brothers? This Zeller can't shoot and turns Yi into Hakeem.

Joseph underwhelming so far . . .

ace3g
01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
It is as if the Spurs believe even their Developmental League Team needs a Bonner (Zeller) as well...

Bill_Brasky
01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Wooooow Zeller needs to go ahead and quit shooting.

Yeah im gonna go drink now.

ace3g
01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Ostertag scores, without jumping...

timvp
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Final stats: http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120106/TEXAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100120

Finished watching the game. I wasn't at all impressed with Cory Joseph, unfortunately. Slow release and bad rotation on his jumpers. He doesn't elevate well when he's near the rim. Didn't show good touch around the basket. CJ's athleticism and speed didn't look like NBA level for a PG. He's a decent dribbler but he turns his back a lot when he gets pressured. Defensively, he did decent work pressuring the ballhandler but was a non-factor when doing anything else on that end. I'd say his passing was his best attribute tonight but even though he showed good vision, he routinely threw the passes too high or too low.

Obviously, it's too early to give up on Joseph but the D-League is a really low level of basketball right now and he wasn't even in the top five or six best players on the court. Most NBA players who go down to the D-League dominate pretty quickly ... so CJ being overmatched is not the greatest of signs.

I'd say Joseph needs to spend the whole year in Austin. Hopefully in a few weeks he looks a lot better.

Sad to say but Da'Sean Butler looks finished. He just doesn't move well enough anymore. He's a bit flabby so maybe getting in better shape will help ... but I doubt it.

Justin Denmon had 31 points, eight rebounds, six assists and three steals, which looks nice, but wouldn't translate to the NBA. He's basically a tiny shooting guard who has to play point guard. His speed allows him to get any shot he wants on this level and his shot looks pretty good too ... but I wouldn't classify him as a legit NBA prospect.

In fact, Dentmon is going to hurt CJ's development because he dominates the ball so much. CJ was relegated to playing shooting guard about half the time, which is useless if you are trying to make him better. Hopefully the Toros get rid of Dentmon so CJ is the one who has to run the show. Otherwise, if he's not getting a ton of touches, he might as well stay with the Spurs and learn from the bench.

Nobody else on the Toros stood out. Dawson had good stats but he's not an NBA level big. Thomas is a nice hustle player but a tweener. Lyons had a bad game. Zeller is horrible.

On the Mavs D-League team, Yi is still a tantalizing prospect. He's so big and has a lot of technical skill ... but it's looking less and less likely that he'll ever stop playing like a robot. Sean Williams is still an athletic freak and looks more mentally into the game than usual but his ceiling is an energy 10th man in the NBA.

Watching Ostertag was pretty hilarious. He has all the same nervous ticks he always had plus about thirty pounds of beer weight. Watching him pace the sidelines "coaching" was funny, as was his technical foul. The sad thing was that even this ultimately worn down version of Ostertag was basically unstoppable on the boards whenever he had position, which tells you the level of the D-League is pretty low right now.

underdawg
01-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Lance had some nice plays and he can definitely get up. True that Dawson probably isn't an nba level player (he's had enough time to prove whether he is or isn't) but I don't see why he couldn't help the Spurs if Ike shows nothing.

Dawson has ugly offense, but you can't deny he's effective at cleaning up shots and at least getting in the way on defense. Other than Duncan and Tiago, the Spurs don't have that right now. Like I said, if Ike fails the Spurs could do worse than trying out Dawson for a week or two. I'm still not sold on the midgets on the front line panning out in the long run.

One thing is for sure - Sean Williams can jump out the gym.

Trill Clinton
01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I like Joseph. I think more playing time in the d-league is going to help him out a lot. He has pretty decent defensive awareness and has solid handles. He just needs to work on his shooting stroke. He was a good 3 point shooter in college so its just a matter of getting use to the NBA 3 point line.