PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili to have surgery, out 6-8 weeks

Man Mountain
01-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I just saw it on the news from Pop :depressed:depressed:depressed

timvp
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
That sucks. From what I've researched, it looks like it takes the full 8 weeks when surgery is needed.

Ginobili back by after the All-Star break is now the best case scenario.

smh

cd98
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
O.k. Can we please begin the tanking process? There are lots of good bigs or other talented players that will be in the draft next year.

Manu will still be good next year and Timmy, well, he's in decline, but he can still score 8 to 10 points a game, get rebounds, and play decent defense for a big man. Let's focus on tanking this year, and competing next year.

elemento
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Non issue

Just Neal with it and Spurs will be fine

jestersmash
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/120104_pop_shoot

TimmehC
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
The only reason to tank is Anthony Davis. And we'd have to get reaaaaaalllllyyyy lucky to get him. So no tanking.

spurs1990
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Ya'll need to keep in mind this particular season is highly defective.

Any team that comes out on top will have a blemish next to its title in comparison to any other season's champs.

They are playing bball on three nights!

Don't be concerned about winning or any legacy. Sit back and watch the young players develop. We can reconvene in 2013.

biziofromdowntown
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
This is the end, my friends. Thank you Timmy.

Budkin
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Fuck fuck fuck

phxspurfan
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
As I said to my friend here, Spurs are on their last breath and it's painful to watch.

SenorSpur
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
O.k. Can we please begin the tanking process? There are lots of good bigs or other talented players that will be in the draft next year.

Manu will still be good next year and Timmy, well, he's in decline, but he can still score 8 to 10 points a game, get rebounds, and play decent defense for a big man. Let's focus on tanking this year, and competing next year.

I admit that upon initially hearing about the seriousness of Manu's injury, my first thought was "could this be a recurrence of the infamous David Robinson back injury"? For those that don't remember, Robinson's back injury effectively killed the Spurs 1996-97 regular season, along with their playoff hopes. That injury landed the Spurs into the NBA Draft Lottery and put them in a position to win the first overall pick and the prize, the great Tim Duncan.

That said, with our HOF-destined big man now in decline and in the last year of his contract, and with no other PF/C on the horizon, I certainly can understand why some would see, or even wish for, a possible repeat tank job.

txstr1986
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
That sucks. From what I've researched, it looks like it takes the full 8 weeks when surgery is needed.

Ginobili back by after the All-Star break is now the best case scenario.

smh

Yep, Spurs twitter says 6-8 weeks.

boutons_deux
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
All these Manu injuries will mar his fantastic career as injury-prone.

In 2002, he came to the Spurs seriously injured and didn't play until after the ASB.

'tis such a shame.

txstr1986
01-04-2012, 01:15 PM

In 2002, he came to the Spurs seriously injured and didn't play until after the ASB.

'tis such a shame.

Exactly, if it wasn't for all the injuries he would be known as one of the best shooting guards of this era, probably right behind Kobe. Instead, he's just the best sixth man.

ace3g
01-04-2012, 01:17 PM

'tis such a shame.

I don't think anyone will forget his 3 NBA Championships, Olympic Gold Medal, 6th man of the year award, numerous Euroleague championships, etc

baseline bum
01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
The only reason to tank is Anthony Davis. And we'd have to get reaaaaaalllllyyyy lucky to get him. So no tanking.

Are you kidding me? Having someone like Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist would be great to throw against Durant. Despite a disappointing freshman season Drummond has such a high ceiling that he'd be a great gamble. Worst case scenario you still probably have a starting center with him. Hell, Gilchrist could still be there in the 10-15 range (for what reason I don't understand, but that's the current projection).

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
For all the doom and gloom let's take a deeper look at the schedule and how many games Manu has to get in shape before the playoffs:

Spurs Schedule (http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/)

Manu will miss roughly 32 games, assuming he's back for the March 7th home game vs the Knicks.

Of the 32 games he's missing, around 16 are against teams that were in the playoffs last year.

When looking at the schedule ahead, after Gino's hopeful comeback, we have 28 games for Ginobili to get his groove/conditioning back.

Of course, the biggest question is how the Spurs will fare during Ginobili's absence. This period really reminds of the 2009 season, when it was Duncan manning the ship without Parker and Ginobili and George Hill was our #2 option for a while. Parker got injured against Miami that year if I'm not mistaken, and we had to go 12 games without him. Pop pulled it off, and Duncan carried the load to keep the Spurs above ground.

Point is, this year's team sans Ginobili is still much better than the 2009 one. Yes, Duncan was probably better back then than he is now, but it's a much deeper roster. Plus, we have Neal coming back, and I have a feeling JA will really start to shine with extended minutes. Maybe this will also lead to Danny Green deserving more minutes as well.

vander
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Spurs Championship chances just dropped from 0% to 0%

baseline bum
01-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't think anyone will forget his 3 NBA Championships, Olympic Gold Medal, 6th man of the year award, numerous Euroleague championships, etc

:tu

I couldn't say it better.

spursfan09
01-04-2012, 01:22 PM
I love Manu! But he gets injured so much. Do you think he just goes that hard?

Dex
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Fuck.

:depressed

timvp
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
All these Manu injuries will mar his fantastic career as injury-prone. Doubtful. Manu's the type of player whose legend will only grow after he retires. Coaches and players will tell the tale of a skinny kid from Argentina who stomped fools at every level.

?

Ginobili played in the first game of his rookie season.

romad_20
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM

:lol

phxspurfan
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
For all the doom and gloom let's take a deeper look at the schedule and how many games Manu has to get in shape before the playoffs:

Spurs Schedule (http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/)

Manu will miss roughly 32 games, assuming he's back for the March 7th home game vs the Knicks.

Of the 32 games he's missing, around 16 are against teams that were in the playoffs last year.

When looking at the schedule ahead, after Gino's hopeful comeback, we have 28 games for Ginobili to get his groove/conditioning back.

Of course, the biggest question is how the Spurs will fare during Ginobili's absence. This period really reminds of the 2009 season, when it was Duncan manning the ship without Parker and Ginobili and George Hill was our #2 option for a while. Parker got injured against Miami that year if I'm not mistaken, and we had to go 12 games without him. Pop pulled it off, and Duncan carried the load to keep the Spurs above ground.

Point is, this year's team sans Ginobili is still much better than the 2009 one. Yes, Duncan was probably better back then than he is now, but it's a much deeper roster. Plus, we have Neal coming back, and I have a feeling JA will really start to shine with extended minutes. Maybe this will also lead to Danny Green deserving more minutes as well.

The Six Stages of Grief
http://www.livestrong.com/article/115001-six-steps-grieving/

Shock
Shock is the initial reaction to a loss, whether in the form of death, divorce or any other form of loss that impacts an individual's functioning. Shock is the reaction that forms out of a feeling of disbelief, leaving a feeling of being temporarily numb. It is a defense mechanism that serves to protect the individual from being overwhelmed. This phase can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the gravity of the loss.

Denial
Denial is a defense mechanism that the individual employs to deny that the loss actually happened, whether the loss is finding out about the death of a loved one or finding out very bad news, such as learning that someone has a serious illness. The individual acts as though nothing has happened or denies that what she has heard is actually true. In effect, she closes her mind to what has occurred and continues her life for a certain length time, acting as though nothing has changed.

Anger
Anger typically occurs after denial in the grief phase, although it may occur at any point during the grieving process. Anger may be directed inward or outward, at others, a specific person or society in general. In this phase, emotions that may have been pent up for quite some time tend to erupt, and the frustration at having little or no control over circumstances may be directed toward anyone who gets in the way.

Bargaining
Bargaining is a form of desperation in which the individual tries to make "deals" to avoid bad things happening. When this occurs, the individual searches for hope in avoiding the inevitable. He may often receive false hope from others who have good intentions or want to make him feel better. People who have terminal illnesses may attempt alternative treatments or experimental drugs in the often-vain hope that these will have some effect in preventing the unavoidable outcome, which the individual is most likely aware of, at least on a subconscious level.

Depression
When the individual accepts the inevitable and realizes that her efforts of avoidance are futile, a period of depression generally sets in. She finally realizes that she has no control in preventing the outcome, and she may turn away from loved ones, believing that there is no one who can understand what she is going through, or no one who can help her to feel better. She may cry frequently or appear despondent, and she may also alternate between the two.

Acceptance
Acceptance occurs when people learn to deal with the reality of the situation. They have passed through some or all of the previous phases of grief, and they now move on to this final phase where they take action to get closure with what has happened or with what is going to happen.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I love Manu! But he gets injured so much. Do you think he just goes that hard?

Honestly, some of his injuries seem to be of the freak nature. When he injured his hand against Minny, it didn't look that bad on the replay, until I saw him clutch his hand. Reminded me of when TP broke his hand against Memphis in the 2010 season when diving for a loose ball.

Then the ankle injury/stress fracture which happened one morning when Ginobili woke up after returning for a few games from his ankle sprain. The guy plays hard, but some of these injuries feel like they truly come out of nowhere.

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
?

And 68 others. 37 of those 69 games were before the 2003 All-Star Game.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
The Six Stages of Grief
http://www.livestrong.com/article/115001-six-steps-grieving/

Shock
Shock is the initial reaction to a loss, whether in the form of death, divorce or any other form of loss that impacts an individual's functioning. Shock is the reaction that forms out of a feeling of disbelief, leaving a feeling of being temporarily numb. It is a defense mechanism that serves to protect the individual from being overwhelmed. This phase can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the gravity of the loss.

Denial
Denial is a defense mechanism that the individual employs to deny that the loss actually happened, whether the loss is finding out about the death of a loved one or finding out very bad news, such as learning that someone has a serious illness. The individual acts as though nothing has happened or denies that what she has heard is actually true. In effect, she closes her mind to what has occurred and continues her life for a certain length time, acting as though nothing has changed.

Anger
Anger typically occurs after denial in the grief phase, although it may occur at any point during the grieving process. Anger may be directed inward or outward, at others, a specific person or society in general. In this phase, emotions that may have been pent up for quite some time tend to erupt, and the frustration at having little or no control over circumstances may be directed toward anyone who gets in the way.

Bargaining
Bargaining is a form of desperation in which the individual tries to make "deals" to avoid bad things happening. When this occurs, the individual searches for hope in avoiding the inevitable. He may often receive false hope from others who have good intentions or want to make him feel better. People who have terminal illnesses may attempt alternative treatments or experimental drugs in the often-vain hope that these will have some effect in preventing the unavoidable outcome, which the individual is most likely aware of, at least on a subconscious level.

Depression
When the individual accepts the inevitable and realizes that her efforts of avoidance are futile, a period of depression generally sets in. She finally realizes that she has no control in preventing the outcome, and she may turn away from loved ones, believing that there is no one who can understand what she is going through, or no one who can help her to feel better. She may cry frequently or appear despondent, and she may also alternate between the two.

Acceptance
Acceptance occurs when people learn to deal with the reality of the situation. They have passed through some or all of the previous phases of grief, and they now move on to this final phase where they take action to get closure with what has happened or with what is going to happen.

I'm in phase 2, in case anyone is wondering :lol

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I admit that upon initially hearing about the seriousness of Manu's injury, my first thought was "could this be a recurrence of the infamous David Robinson back injury"? For those that don't remember, Robinson's back injury effectively killed the Spurs 1996-97 regular season, along with their playoff hopes. That injury landed the Spurs into the NBA Draft Lottery and put them in a position to win the first overall pick and the prize, the great Tim Duncan.

That said, with our HOF-destined big man now in decline and in the last year of his contract, and with no other PF/C on the horizon, I certainly can understand why some would see, or even wish for, a possible repeat tank job.

It was David's broken foot that sealed the deal for the 1996-97 Spurs, in his 6th game after the back injury.

That and the injuries to pretty much every other regular on that team.

Solid D
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm in phase 2, in case anyone is wondering :lol

I think some people here were in phase 6 ("Acceptance") BEFORE Manu broke his hand. :p:

Giuseppe
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I went right to (acceptance) like billy-be-jiggered.

silverblk mystix
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I went right to (acceptance) like billy-be-jiggered.

Spurs fans and Spurs organization thank you sincerely for supporting and spending most of your life in our forum. This is the mark of a true Spur fan.

Sincerely,

Everyone connected in some way with the Spurs.

Please continue this devotion.

Amuseddaysleeper
I think some people here were in phase 6 ("Acceptance") BEFORE Manu broke his hand. :p:

:toast

DAF86
I was looking at the schedule and I think the Spurs will win like half their games without Manu. Hope I'm wrong 'cause that's the worst case scenario.

DAF86
I was looking at the schedule and I think the Spurs will win like half their games without Manu. Hope I'm wrong 'cause that's the worst case scenario.

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2012, 01:47 PM
n/m

timvp
01-04-2012, 01:47 PM

I think that's actually the best case scenario.

Giuseppe
01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Spurs fans and Spurs organization thank you sincerely for supporting and spending most of your life in our forum. This is the mark of a true Spur fan.

Sincerely,

Everyone connected in some way with the Spurs.

Please continue this devotion.

Thank you. I've so enjoyed discovering & listening to Mono's 5th.

TimmehC
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM

This. I think people underestimate just how much this team relies on Manu. But we'll find out soon enough.

Xevious
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Eight weeks is wishful thinking for Manu. He heals slow and will take a long time getting back in shape. Plus, it was his shooting hand. I said this in another thread, but I don't think hell be much of a factor the rest of this season. Hope I'm wrong though.

Spurtacus
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Out till after as break. 29 games missed. Spurs are fucked.

Hooks
01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Spurs need to not fuck this opportunity up and TANK the shit out of this season. This years draft is pretty strong.

They can get a solid rookie big man in this draft that can make an impact next season or a sg, resign Duncan for low money in the offseason (I doubt he'll demand big money for how bad he's playing) Sign an impact player in a pretty stacked FA, and bam they'll be able to contend for a ship with a MUCH better team. By drafting a big man they get Duncan's replacement, they've already got their SF for the future with Leonard and possibly Manu's
replacement with JA.

SF and PF/C are the hardest positions to replace pgs and sgs are a dime a dozen, the sooner they draft a legit big man the better. Itll allow Kawhi, Anderson, Joseph etc. to grow together and gain chemistry plus you could build around them.

Sean Cagney
01-04-2012, 02:30 PM
As I said to my friend here, Spurs are on their last breath and it's painful to watch.

Imagine being a fan of a team that never had those days though in order to have their last breath? 4 titles, yes us as fans are flat out blessed to see them have a run for so long. In reality it ended in 08 if we are honest, the last shot at the title.

I agree with you fully. I say they win around 40% of those games. They will likely miss the playoffs this year IMO being it is short, but thats just my gut feeling. Manu means so much to this o with his movement and playmaking ability, only a superstar can replace that (Not Anderson or Neal who aren't near the playmakers he is). You can replace some of the scoring, but thats it.

SenorSpur
01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
It was David's broken foot that sealed the deal for the 1996-97 Spurs, in his 6th game after the back injury.

That and the injuries to pretty much every other regular on that team.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

mingus
01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Spurs aren't going to tank, they are still a fringe playoff team without Manu. that's like asking GSW or Sacramento to tank. TP gets injured, then we can start talking. i don't see the Spurs trading TP, but i could be wrong.

i would really like to see Manu come back and play and help the team get into the playoffs. i think the Spurs still have a good chance of making it into the playoffs barring further injury.

jgome21
01-04-2012, 03:01 PM
People need to start freaking out. It's not like we haven't played without Manu before. I think its a better that hes out early. Now it gives JA and Neal opportunites to step up. Our team has enough continuity to keep up with the playoff race. Just take care of business and win our home games and we should be fine.

boutons_deux
01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Doubtful. Manu's the type of player whose legend will only grow after he retires. Coaches and players will tell the tale of a skinny kid from Argentina who stomped fools at every level.
?

Manu sprained an ankle badly in the 2002 Worlds and wasn't he out until about the 2003 ASB?

I still remember him stealing off RJ in mid-court which basically said GAMEOVER, 03 Championship won.

eric365
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Z Randolph out up to 8 weeks with knee injury.

And with this schedule, every teams will have injuries. Maybe we can win half the games until manu returns

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Manu sprained an ankle badly in the 2002 Worlds and wasn't he out until about the 2003 ASB?

He wasn't. He played on opening night that year in LA and started the 5 games that followed because Steve Smith got hurt in the opener. Manu played in every game from the opener on 10/29/02 through early December, then missed most of December.

Libri
01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
This is the end, my friends. Thank you Timmy.

The Mayas were right. :wow

TD21-FTW
01-04-2012, 03:43 PM

That's the spirit:tu

D-rob fan
01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Looks like Zach Randolph is out 6-8 weeks as well with a torn ligament. At least one playoff team may not to be able to capitalize on the spurs misfortune.

justinandimcool
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Just stay at .500 and I have faith. We were the 7 seed just two years ago and got out of the first round. We can weather this storm.

My only fear is Manu being out more than 8 weeks. THEN we're fucked :lol

stephen jackson
01-04-2012, 04:11 PM
manu was playing so well :(

Interrohater
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Just Neal with it and Spurs will be fine

George Gervin's Afro
01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I broke the same bone playing softball. The doctor that I was seeing indicated that it was not a comlete fracture so surgery wasn't necessary. The recovery time was 8 to 10 weeks. He told me that if I were a profesional athlete he would have performed sugery and added a pin to speed up my recovery. Something tells me that he had a compound fracture.

temujin
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Manu will be just fine.

PS. At the Olimpics when I go watch.

analyzed
01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
BTW Randolph of the Grizzlies will be out for the same period. (8 weeks ) with a knee injury . given that and Manu's injury the question is which team has a better chance of making the playoffs or getting a highter seed, the Spurs or Grizzlies? How ironic both teams best players are out for the same period. This is the closest thing to testing which player in most valuable to their team. if ever the was a time when the test on which team can play best without their MVP this is it.

timvp
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Something tells me that he had a compound fracture.

It wasn't a compound fracture . . .

Brazil
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
manu was playing so well :(

he always plays well before injuries... that should be an alert for us... fuck Manu is playing well... something is about to happen

Bruno
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Well, it sucks. If it's 8 weeks, Manu will miss almost half of the season. It will tough for the rest of the team to perform well during all these games. Hopefully, some of the young players will rise and turn as good surprises. My pick is on James Anderson. I believe in him.

elemento
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I hope James Anderson turns on the "i don't give a shit button"and starts to be more aggressive. I truly hate to see passive players are afraid to shoot (Like George Hill in the last years)

DAF86
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Best case scenario is the Spurs win all of their games and are 1st in the West when Manu gets back, second best case scenario is the Spurs win enough games to be in a contender's position, third best case scenario to me is losing all of the games and get a high pick for next season-

The mediocrity I expect is the worst thing that could happen imo.

DAF86
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
This. I think people underestimate just how much this team relies on Manu. But we'll find out soon enough.

Yes, some people underestimate that, but I think that the system and the way I expect some players will step up during this stretch will be enough to win half or more of our games.

therealtruth
01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, some people underestimate that, but I think that the system and the way I expect some players will step up during this stretch will be enough to win half or more of our games.

That's a good thing. The team has been too dependent on him the past few seasons. It will actually force Pop to coach and the other players to step up. We have a chance of seeing an Ewing effect.

timtonymanu
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
This team has enough depth to still be competitive. It's just Manu brings so much energy that it feeds off the others when there is a drought in the game.

I remember the Spurs acquired a player two years ago that was suppose to help the Big 3. I'm still waiting for that guy to step up. The time is now.

Anderson needs to start hitting his shots. Hopefully Neal isn't out of rhythm. I expect Blair's game to falter since he works well with Manu. Hopefully it doesn't.

tim_duncan_fan
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Lol how the hell are we going to score, especially in crunch time?

Tim's gonna have to try a little harder in the paint...

Doesn't look good for us.

SenorSpur
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
The hallmark of most young players is that they're inconsistent. I have big expectations for James Anderson. Even though he's in his second year, he only played in 26 games last year. While he may know what to expect and what is expected of him, he hasn't exactly found himself or his niche yet. His most recent dismal performance in Minnesota is proof of that.

I would expect the Spurs to rely heavily on Gary Neal. He played the entire first year, he's a proven shooter, and he's brimming with confidence. Once he works himself back into condition and into rhythm, he should be fine.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no faith in RJ, but I'm happy Kawai Leonard is there to help mitigate RJ's on-court performance lulls. With Duncan in decline and a grueling road schedule ahead, that leaves Parker really being the lone effective member of the Big Three and remaining star player. Much of the responsibility will have to fall to him.

This team relies so heavily on Manu for so many things. There is just no way to duplicate or replicate his contributions, playmaking and mental toughness. The Spurs have historically been an average team when he has been out. Even if the contributing role players do step up, which will be a big leap for some, I really cannot expect the Spurs to be anything more than an average or slightly sub .500 team without him.

superbigtime
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
8 weeks means 10. That's mid-March. Anyone who thinks we will be .500 by that time is on crack. Manu is what makes this team work. Without him they are just a bunch of ball players. Tim is a shadow of a shadow and Tony is living the single man's life. We've got nice young players, so develop them and fuck the record. Tim won't be much worse next year and Manu and Tony will still be there, hopefully with a stud from the lottery.

Brazil
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

ducks is not some people tbh

I didn't see a lot of people underestimating the impact of manu on the spurs

therealtruth
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Meanwhile, I have absolutely no faith in RJ, but I'm happy Kawai Leonard is there to help mitigate RJ's on-court performance lulls. With Duncan in decline and a grueling road schedule ahead, that leaves Parker really being the lone effective member of the Big Three and remaining star player. Much of the responsibility will have to fall to him.

RJ and Kawhi are two different beasts. RJ is an offensive minded player and if he's not scoring tends to disengage. Kawhi's a defensive minded player who's happy if he scores but it won't affect him being aggressive and continuing to play hard. You have to keep players like RJ involved in the offense. Players like Kawhi will provide you a consistent effort but any scoring they get is gravy.

DAF86
01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
ducks is not some people tbh

I didn't see a lot of people underestimating the impact of manu on the spurs

I have argued with a lot of people about Manu's ability to be the best player on a good NBA team, most of the people on this board say that he isn't able to. That underestimates Manu in general and also it underestimates his impact on this Spurs team.

DPG21920
01-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I have argued with a lot of people about Manu's ability to be the best player on a good NBA team, most of the people on this board say that he isn't able to. That underestimates Manu in general and also it underestimates his impact on this Spurs team.

The argument is Manu can't sustain number one option minutes and be healthy. It seems to be a valid argument.

DAF86
01-04-2012, 08:52 PM
The argument is Manu can't sustain number one option minutes and be healthy. It seems to be a valid argument.

No, the argument is that he can't be the best player on a good NBA team, period.

Besides, what do "number one option minutes" mean?

Manu last season was the Spurs best player and played enough minutes per game to have his team with a 61-21 record (Manu's injury last season had nothing to do with his playing time).

DPG21920
01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't want to argue with CoM.

DAF86
01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Be honest and just say that you don't have any real argument more than pure speculation.

DPG21920
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
No.

DAF86
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Ok.

LakerHater
01-05-2012, 12:11 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/jalbertopd/culpa3.jpg

ace3g
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
UPDATE:

Early reports including quote from Pop was that Manu would be out 6-8 weeks will Spurs just released this press release:

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that guard Manu Ginobili underwent successful surgery to repair a fractured fifth metacarpal in his left hand this morning in San Antonio. He is expected to miss approximately six weeks.

The procedure was performed by Dr. Mark Bagg. During the surgery screws and a plate were inserted into Ginobili's hand. The injury occurred in the second quarter of Monday night's Spurs-Timberwolves game in Minnesota.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120102_ginobili_fractured_fifth_metacarpal

I'd still expect him out more to the extent of 8 weeks but good to see the team's optimism about how the surgery went.

timvp
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
He is expected to miss approximately six weeks.

That's sounds like good news. Still wouldn't count on him returning before the All-Star break but it's definitely encouraging that the lower end of the range is being used now. In the telecast yesterday, Sean Elliott was saying at least eight weeks and maybe longer depending on what they find during surgery . . .

Dex
01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
That's sounds like good news. Still wouldn't count on him returning before the All-Star break but it's definitely encouraging that the lower end of the range is being used now. In the telecast yesterday, Sean Elliott was saying at least eight weeks and maybe longer depending on what they find during surgery . . .

And Sean was giving Tony Allen shit for playing doctor...:lol

xmas1997
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Sounds like they are trying to paint a pretty picture when most of know it will take longer than that. And even when he does come back he will be out of game shape and since it is his shooting hand, off his shot.
There is such a thing as being realistic about all this and not being pie in the sky.
I'm just glad this is a loaded draft coming up.

ace3g
01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Manu post surgery via Many's twitter: http://lockerz.com/s/171935427

analyzed
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Manu via twitter:

Hoy a la mañana me operaron la mano izuierda. Todo parece haber salido bien. En un poco más de un mes vuelvo a las canchas. Mala suerte. ~ Today I had surgery on my left hand. Will be out for 5 or 6 weeks aprox. Bad luck.

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQAanyScCCVdqeso&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbucket.lanacion.com.ar%2Fanexos%2 Ffotos%2F08%2F1478708w298.jpg (http://www.canchallena.com/1437992-manu-y-su-fractura-es-un-garron-total)"Es un garrón total" (http://www.canchallena.com/1437992-manu-y-su-fractura-es-un-garron-total)

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Manu taking right-handed free throws after shootaround this morning. How long before he tries to convince Pop he can play that way?

GSH
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Manu taking right-handed free throws after shootaround this morning. How long before he tries to convince Pop he can play that way?

We were laughing about that during the Houston game. The look on Manu's face on the sideline. Someone said that Manu would be bringing the Spurs fake x-rays within a week, swearing it was all a big mistake.

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
We were laughing about that during the Houston game. The look on Manu's face on the sideline. Someone said that Manu would be bringing the Spurs fake x-rays within a week, swearing it was all a big mistake.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/01/Glum-Manu-1071-306x223.jpg

ElNono
01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Manu did a twitcam yesterday and among all the noise he said something interesting about his nose. He said he will require surgery on his nose at some point, because whenever he has a small cold one side clogs up really quickly and gives him trouble sleeping and breathing. He said he didn't do it last season when the docs took a look because the twins were just born and the docs said he would need at least 2 months of recovery. He also said he'll likely postpone the surgery until after retirement.

Dex
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/01/Glum-Manu-1071-306x223.jpg

:lmao Poor guy. I've never seen someone be so miserable to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to have front-row seats to an NBA game.

timvp
01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
If Ginobili played with his left arm in a cast, I think he'd still be an above average NBA player. Seriously.

LakerHater
01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8173/img1135cn.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6351/bandagesigndclarkeevans.jpg

Seventyniner
01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
That's the look of a competitor that can't compete. It's got to be pretty rough on him.

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
:lmao Poor guy. I've never seen someone be so miserable to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to have front-row seats to an NBA game.

At this point in his career after all these years, the money doesn't even matter. That guy wants to be playing basketball. Sucks this had to happen as he was playing so well :depressed.

Proxy
01-13-2012, 08:28 PM

At this point in his career after all these years, the money doesn't even matter. That guy wants to be playing basketball. Sucks this had to happen as he was playing so well :depressed.

Sucks that he gets hurt at so many points in general... especially the playoff ones... ankle, arm, and nose... who knows how far a healthy Manu could've taken the past Spurs (& Argentina) teams and how much more recognition he would have by now... recognition that he deserves. He's been as good as any SG talent of this generation and his only weakness has been his health.

... but hey, all you guys already know this.

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Sucks that he gets hurt at so many points in general... especially the playoff ones... ankle, arm, and nose... who knows how far a healthy Manu could've taken the past Spurs (& Argentina) teams and how much more recognition he would have by now... recognition that he deserves. He's been as good as any SG talent of this generation and his only weakness has been his health.

... but hey, all you guys already know this.

Yup. It's just his style of play...playing balls to the wall for the long ass (and boring) NBA regular season year after year will wear you down. He was quite athletic when younger, but never as athletic as Kobe, who doesn't necessarily need to exert the same from his body to score. He has a slightly more durable frame as well, and scores a lot of his points by being crafty and rising up over people to shoot in the post and midrange.

Otaku
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
The procedure was performed by Dr. Mark Bagg. During the surgery screws and a plate were inserted into Ginobili's hand.

So Manu is now officialy a cyborg. :D

Thompson
01-13-2012, 11:04 PM
How constricting is the cast he's in? Can he still run, etc. to stay in 'game shape' so he can play at close to his normal level when he returns?

LakerHater
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I should be able to return between the 10th and the 15th of February.

TMTTRIO
01-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Poor guy just can't stay healthy. He always looks miserable on the bench. I don't think he would make a good coach. By the way someone was telling me on his twitcam he was saying that he still needs to have surgery on his nose injury but he has been putting it because of his babies and everything else going on that he's waiting until he retires.

ducks
01-14-2012, 12:18 AM
guess what the spurs are not missing a beat at home yet

ace3g
01-14-2012, 05:43 PM
DarrenMHaynes Darren M. Haynes
Spurs Manu Ginobili (broken hand) says "doctors will remove stitches on Monday" twitpic.com/87cpva #SPURS

Darkwaters
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Wouldn't you? Consider - how many basketball games do you think Manu has been to in his entire life. Seriously. How many thousands of games?

dunkman
01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Hope he returns soon . . .

Manu-of-steel
01-15-2012, 01:55 AM
Get well soon, Manu!

ElNono
01-15-2012, 02:29 AM
I should be able to return between the 10th and the 15th of February.

That would be nice because he could help in the last part of the rodeo road trip, but if our playoff chances are not in jeopardy by then, I would expect him to return at home against Chicago on the 29th, after the All-Star break.

ChuckD
01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
That would be nice because he could help in the last part of the rodeo road trip, but if our playoff chances are not in jeopardy by then, I would expect him to return at home against Chicago on the 29th, after the All-Star break.

If our road record doesn't improve, having him sit out the last SEVEN games (the difference between his earliest date and your proposed date) of the RT might well knock us out of the playoffs.

I'm OK with whatever the Spurs do, because they tend towards the conservative, sometimes to their own detriment, game one of the Grizz series, for example. If they bring him back, he's ready, and probably has been for a while.

xmas1997
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Don't bring him back too soon, even if it means missing the playoffs. Better to have a totally healthy Manu than an injured one.
Besides this draft is loaded with bigs and the Spurs need a good one.
It would be amazing that if they missed the playoffs and landed in the lottery and got lucky again and got the #1 pick.
Who would they draft?????????????????

boutons_deux
01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I wonder how long it will take for Manu to regain strength and endurance in his left immobilized, atrophied arm, hand, shoulder after he's approved for full functioning?

ChuckD
01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I wonder how long it will take for Manu to regain strength and endurance in his left immobilized, atrophied arm, hand, shoulder after he's approved for full functioning?

They'll have stuff he can do without using his hand, resistance bars and bands using the wrist and forearm, for example. He won't be just sitting and doing nothing for six weeks.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Would love it if Manu was back in time for the Raptors game on the 15th! Already bought my tickets

ducks
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
6-2 without manu

intlspurshk
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
time to trade TP when he still has value

ace3g
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Manu
I guess I won't be able to fulfill my dream of becoming a hand model after my NBA career.

http://c0014139.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_a7c088f

Muser
01-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Cool scar