PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers-Lakers matchup could be a lesson in role reversal

tlongII
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/01/canzano_trail_blazers-lakers_m.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/john_canzano_impact/photo/crawford-vs-thunderjpg-51624a9f04f37498.jpg
Jamal Crawford shoots over Serge Ibaka during Portland's 103-93 victory over Oklahoma City, a win that showed the potential of this Trail Blazers team.

For your information, the Trail Blazers don't want to be known as scrappers anymore. Turns out that NBA players who spend hours perfecting the nuances of their game, and employ agents, personal chefs and publicists, respond to being called a "scrapper" as if you've dropped their toothbrush on the bathroom floor.

Call them tough. Call them gritty. Call them determined.

But whatever you do, do not call the Blazers scrappers.

I think of it as a compliment. They do not.

Wesley Matthews Matthews cut me off days ago as I tried to tell him that the Blazers will steal some games in this shortened season because they'll real scra – "I think we have as much talent as anyone," he said. Also, Gerald Wallace bristled at the label. And Jamal Crawford talked on Wednesday, not about how gruff and tough his teammates are when elbowing Blake Griffin in the throat, but how happy they are when others on the team have success.

"It goes beyond being unselfish," he said, "you can see that the guys are happy for each other."

Is that different than other NBA teams?

"Without question it's different," Crawford said.

Keep an eye on that tonight, especially, as the Lakers come to Portland hoping to squash all the enthusiasm and unselfishness that has infected this city. A 4-1 start for the Blazers erases a lot of doubt around here. And even as the Lakers have a healthy Andrew Bynum and Kobe Bryant, this Blazers team feels built for an occasion such as this.

Lakers-Blazers? Well, the first time in a decade, the Blazers feel like the deeper, more talented, team. I know Bryant is still arguably the league's best player and can win games with little else around him when challenged, but the Lakers end up being the scrappers in this matchup?

Keep an eye on the way the teams play tonight. Because there's been a lot of talk through five games about the Blazers up-tempo offense.

Coach Nate McMillan has stopped talking about wanting to run and is finally pushing pace with good results. Portland is beating teams up in the paint, too, and is second in the league in rebounding. But what this Lakers-Blazers matchup feels like is an opportunity to show that for the first time since blowing that lead in the 2000 Western Conference Finals Portland has the better team.

Yes, the Blazers have had great success at the Rose Garden against the Lakers. Yes, the Blazers have won big games against Bryant and Co. Yes, the Lakers aren't even the defending champions in the conference this season. But everyone knows that if you're traveling to the City of Legitimacy, you ultimately have to exit at Lakers Blvd. and not lose control of the wheel.

Crawford said he understands the rivalry.

"That is a big deal, I'm already getting the 'Beat LA' tweets," he said.

This early-season matchup ends up a big deal, and not just because this is a shortened season. You could argue that the Lakers, again, wouldn't amount to much without Bryant. Also, that Portland has been as good as anyone in the conference this season, and that the Blazers only loss (at the LA Clippers) came because they played so poorly, not because the Clippers were better.

The story lines for this game end up riveting. There's drama. There's history. There are characters on both sides -- even if a lot of Portland fans are just getting to know the new players here.

Crawford has been a delight, on and off, the court. Kurt Thomas is appreciated. Raymond Felton Jr. is barely getting comfortable and already you can see where the Blazers are is headed.

Matthews was right.

This team has talent. It also runs around, dives for balls, rebounds, and beats up the opposition in the paint. Oregonian photographer Bruce Ely sits on the baseline during games. He's a keen observer with a rare seat. He turned to me after four games this season and told me that he's seeing Portland brutalize opponents under the basket and play more physically than they've done in the past seasons.

"That's new for the Blazers," Ely said. "Never seen it like that."

So yeah. The Lakers are in Portland tonight at the Rose Garden. There will be plenty of transplant Lakers fans who buy tickets and show up. And, like always, it's anyone's game. But in the end, what I'm most interested in learning isn't who wins Game 6 of the Blazers season. Or even who plays harder, or hustles more.

What I'm curious to know is, which of these teams is more talented. Which is the scrapper? Which is the team that simply needs to play its game and stay above the fray? Because I suspect for the first time in a long time, that answer comes dressed in red and black.

CavsSuperFan
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Yet another Copy & paste...How creative...:rolleyes

Jodelo
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Just hope they lose, that means no threads will be created...

tlongII
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
If you want to see a playoff atmosphere, tune in to Blazers vs Lakers tonight.

tlongII
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Just hope they lose, that means no threads will be created...

There are going to be a helluva lot of threads created this season Jody! :tu

JamStone
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
You should at least have enough courtesy to just create one thread per game (per day even). If there are multiple articles regarding the same game, post them in the same thread. Getting 4, 5, 6+ Blazers threads about the same game or the same thing is pretty senseless. You're hyped about your Blazers. That's cool. At least use some common sense when starting threads.

silverblk mystix
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
You should at least have enough courtesy to just create one thread per game (per day even). If there are multiple articles regarding the same game, post them in the same thread. Getting 4, 5, 6+ Blazers threads about the same game or the same thing is pretty senseless. You're hyped about your Blazers. That's cool. At least use some common sense when starting threads.

You mean like Kool faggot?

Or Lakaluva/TimVp?

Or maybe just lurk like Culb?

Talk about focusing on the wrong shit....

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
A true reversal would be the Lakers winning at the Rose Garden, and then the Blazers actually winning a first round series while the Lakers missed the playoffs or losing in the 1st round. If neither happens how can the roles be truly reversed?

Lakers are perennial Western Conference Powers ...while the future is ALWAYS brighter than the present for the Blazers ...:wakeup

JamStone
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
You mean like Kool faggot?

Or Lakaluva/TimVp?

Or maybe just lurk like Culb?

Talk about focusing on the wrong shit....

I ignore those posters and their threads and posts. They do their shtick intentionally to get on people's nerves. They're lost causes.

I think tlong might actually listen to reason.

silverblk mystix
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Does Tlong overdo the Blazers material....yup...

Is it at least-basketball related...yup...

Case closed.

JamStone
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Would it make sense for him to condense multiple articles into one thread? Yup.

Why would you be against that? It was merely a suggestion.

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/01/canzano_trail_blazers-lakers_m.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/john_canzano_impact/photo/crawford-vs-thunderjpg-51624a9f04f37498.jpg
Jamal Crawford shoots over Serge Ibaka during Portland's 103-93 victory over Oklahoma City, a win that showed the potential of this Trail Blazers team.

For your information, the Trail Blazers don't want to be known as scrappers anymore. Turns out that NBA players who spend hours perfecting the nuances of their game, and employ agents, personal chefs and publicists, respond to being called a "scrapper" as if you've dropped their toothbrush on the bathroom floor.

Call them tough. Call them gritty. Call them determined.

But whatever you do, do not call the Blazers scrappers.

I think of it as a compliment. They do not.

Wesley Matthews Matthews cut me off days ago as I tried to tell him that the Blazers will steal some games in this shortened season because they'll real scra – "I think we have as much talent as anyone," he said. Also, Gerald Wallace bristled at the label. And Jamal Crawford talked on Wednesday, not about how gruff and tough his teammates are when elbowing Blake Griffin in the throat, but how happy they are when others on the team have success.

"It goes beyond being unselfish," he said, "you can see that the guys are happy for each other."

Is that different than other NBA teams?

"Without question it's different," Crawford said.

Keep an eye on that tonight, especially, as the Lakers come to Portland hoping to squash all the enthusiasm and unselfishness that has infected this city. A 4-1 start for the Blazers erases a lot of doubt around here. And even as the Lakers have a healthy Andrew Bynum and Kobe Bryant, this Blazers team feels built for an occasion such as this.

Lakers-Blazers? Well, the first time in a decade, the Blazers feel like the deeper, more talented, team. I know Bryant is still arguably the league's best player and can win games with little else around him when challenged, but the Lakers end up being the scrappers in this matchup?

Keep an eye on the way the teams play tonight. Because there's been a lot of talk through five games about the Blazers up-tempo offense.

Coach Nate McMillan has stopped talking about wanting to run and is finally pushing pace with good results. Portland is beating teams up in the paint, too, and is second in the league in rebounding. But what this Lakers-Blazers matchup feels like is an opportunity to show that for the first time since blowing that lead in the 2000 Western Conference Finals Portland has the better team.

Yes, the Blazers have had great success at the Rose Garden against the Lakers. Yes, the Blazers have won big games against Bryant and Co. Yes, the Lakers aren't even the defending champions in the conference this season. But everyone knows that if you're traveling to the City of Legitimacy, you ultimately have to exit at Lakers Blvd. and not lose control of the wheel.

Crawford said he understands the rivalry.

"That is a big deal, I'm already getting the 'Beat LA' tweets," he said.

This early-season matchup ends up a big deal, and not just because this is a shortened season. You could argue that the Lakers, again, wouldn't amount to much without Bryant. Also, that Portland has been as good as anyone in the conference this season, and that the Blazers only loss (at the LA Clippers) came because they played so poorly, not because the Clippers were better.

The story lines for this game end up riveting. There's drama. There's history. There are characters on both sides -- even if a lot of Portland fans are just getting to know the new players here.

Crawford has been a delight, on and off, the court. Kurt Thomas is appreciated. Raymond Felton Jr. is barely getting comfortable and already you can see where the Blazers are is headed.

Matthews was right.

This team has talent. It also runs around, dives for balls, rebounds, and beats up the opposition in the paint. Oregonian photographer Bruce Ely sits on the baseline during games. He's a keen observer with a rare seat. He turned to me after four games this season and told me that he's seeing Portland brutalize opponents under the basket and play more physically than they've done in the past seasons.

"That's new for the Blazers," Ely said. "Never seen it like that."

So yeah. The Lakers are in Portland tonight at the Rose Garden. There will be plenty of transplant Lakers fans who buy tickets and show up. And, like always, it's anyone's game. But in the end, what I'm most interested in learning isn't who wins Game 6 of the Blazers season. Or even who plays harder, or hustles more.

What I'm curious to know is, which of these teams is more talented. Which is the scrapper? Which is the team that simply needs to play its game and stay above the fray? Because I suspect for the first time in a long time, that answer comes dressed in red and black.

LOL who is this hack? How can someone be so right and so wrong in the same paragraph? When was the LAST big game the Blazers won against the Lakers featuring Bryant? Game 6 in 2000? Besides Bryant and Fisher who is even still on either team? As for the measuring against the Lakers he hit it on the head. These Blazers fans treat every game against us like the GD NBA finals ... their players too ...maybe that's why they win the regular season games so often ...but come playoff time they don't have another level to get to. :lol

skut_farkus
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
lakers are perennial Western Conference Powers ...while the future is ALWAYS brighter than the present for the Blazers ...:wakeup

Someone obviously didnt watch the lakers in the 90's:lol

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Someone obviously didnt watch the lakers in the 90's:lol

Apparrently that was you.. we made the Finals in the 90's (lost to the Bulls) and were Western conference contenders at the end of that decade as well.

Blazers were the better team most of that decade I agree but never won any BIG games against this Lakers team. Unfortunately were not our best in teh 90's but we were still good enough enough to beat the Blazers 3 times in the playoffs (91, 97 and 98) they beat us once 1992. In the 90's (one of our weaker decades) we made the Finals once the conference Finals twice ... and were title contenders to start and end that decade. Get your facts straight ...son :lol

rayjayjohnson
01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
fucking stop tlong. no one cares and no one reads

skut_farkus
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Apparrently that was you.. we made the Finals in the 90's (lost to the Bulls) and were Western conference contenders at the end of that decade as well.

Blazers were the better team most of that decade I agree but never won any BIG games against this Lakers team. Unfortunately were not our best in teh 90's but we were still good enough enough to beat the Blazers 3 times in the playoffs (91, 97 and 98) they beat us once 1992. In the 90's (one of our weaker decades) we made the Finals once the conference Finals twice ... and were title contenders to start and end that decade. Get your facts straight ...son :lol

So perennial means 3 years out of 10? Who gives a sh!t if you beat portland anyways cause for 7 years you guys weren't doing jack sh!r but watching the bulls play :lmao

Lol perennial

Bill_Brasky
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM

This. Just make one thread about it you fuck. And I don't see you making threads when they lose.

Killakobe81
01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
So perennial means 3 years out of 10? Who gives a sh!t if you beat portland anyways cause for 7 years you guys weren't doing jack sh!r but watching the bulls play :lmao

Lol perennial

1. Genius, the Lakers have been in almost half of ALL NBA Finals and plaenty of conference and semi-finals ...I dont really care much about those only 16 but my point still stands

2. I never said we won every year ... I said the writer was correct we are perennial contenders ..

3. Read the OP or the article this was about the Lakers and Blazers not the bulls. Let me guess when the team you rooted for sucked, you latched on to the Bulls like plnety of other "sheep" ? :lmao

Banzai
01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Shit thread as usual..

pass1st
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Lol, one way rivalry.