PDA

View Full Version : Who is Danny Green?

GSH
01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Or maybe - who could he be? After last night, I saw a number of posts comparing Danny Green to Bruce Bowen. I wouldn't go that far after just one game. But there is one player who he resembles so much, that I think it's worth discussion - Anthony Parker. First, let me say that Anthony Parker is one of the players that I really wanted to see come to the Spurs. When he came back from Israel, he was one of the best (and probably the most under-rated) perimeter defenders in the league. He and T.J. Ford were largely responsible for getting the Raptors into the playoffs two years in a row. Then he started 81 games for the Cavs, the year they had the best record in the NBA. And at an average of about $3.5M per season, he's been one of the biggest bargains among veterans in the league for the last five seasons.

Physically, the two are almost identical. Both are listed at 6'6", 210 lbs., and both have reasonably long arms. Both were good defenders in college, and known for having a high basketball IQ. Both stayed in school for their senior years, and both were basically unwanted by the NBA teams that drafted them. Their first couple of years in the NBA look very much alike - almost nothing to talk about. Both finished up a season in the D-League. Both got told that they weren't good enough or athletic enough to make it in the NBA.

After getting no traction in the NBA, Parker went overseas. I got to see him play with Maccabi, and the more he was allowed to stay on the floor and "do his thing", the better he got. After just a few games, it was hard to believe that he had not been a starter in the NBA. He was a damned good defender, but he also had developed a very solid outside shot. Maybe he was a late bloomer, or maybe he is just one of those players who doesn't do anything flashy, and so goes unnoticed by most people. But he became a star (and a leader) when given the opportunity, and led Maccabi to two Euroleague championships.

Danny Green's NBA beginnings look very much like Parker's. Limited minutes, and not much to talk about. After spending some time in the D-League, Green went overseas - although he had a out clause to come back to the NBA. If the similarities continue, this could be a breakout season for him.

The way he played defense against Golden State looked uncannily like Parker when I saw him playing in Tel Aviv. He did a very good job of slowing down Monta Ellis - forcing him to give up the ball, making him work hard for shots. And on a number of plays he did a good job of holding him off long enough to feed him to a help defender. That's an under-rated skill for a good perimiter defender. (Those who think Bowen did it all by himself are naive. Nobody can lock down a scorer who is in the zone indefinitely.) It was only one game, but watching Danny Green last night was almost like watching an old film of Anthony Parker.

Some things don't show up on a stat sheet, and one of those is the confidence he seemed to suddenly be playing with. It's a hard thing pin down, but there were a couple of plays that I can think of that demonstrate that. Once was when he ran down on a fast break, and set up for that corner 3, and was just begging for the ball. In his mind, he KNEW that if he got the feed he was going to bury the shot. Another was late in the fourth quarter, with the Spurs up by just 1 point. The Warriors missed a shot, and Tim got the rebound - almost. He just couldn't get a handle on the ball, and neither could Jefferson, who was standing right next to Tim. It looked like one of the plays that make Spurs fans want to pull out their hair: two Spurs allow an easy rebound to become a loose ball, and let the opponent pick it up and score a gimme two points. That would have been a disaster at that point in the game. Green saw it developing, ran back and plucked the ball up from between Duncan and Jefferson - then he dribbled it out of trouble and got it up the floor to Parker. It may not sound like much, but a lot of young, untested players would have just left it to the two guys with the huge contracts. Green KNEW he could get the job done, and he jumped in and did it. And even though it didn't look like much, that play may have saved the game. If the Warriors had picked that ball up and scored to take the lead (and I think they would have, without Green stepping up) you would have felt the air leave the room.

It will be interesting to see if Green can keep it up, against better teams than Golden State. But a red hot Monta Ellis is a legitimate test of his defensive abilities. He may not be the next Bruce Bowen, but if he can play like Anthony Parker did at the same point in his career, he could become the first man off the bench now, and even a starter in a couple of years. Nobody - and I mean nobody, thought Anthony Parker could do it either, in his first couple of years in the league - he just showed up in Israel like a different player. I was still hoping that the Spurs might pick up an aging Anthony Parker this offseason. I'm excited at the possibility that they may have a young one in Danny Green.

dylankerouac
01-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Good write up and excellent observations. :tu

Mel_13
01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Anthony Parker is an apt comparison for what Danny Green could become. Would be a great development for the Spurs. I'd like to see Green and Anderson swap roles at this point with Danny starting and James taking the 11th man slot.

Nice post.

Magua
01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Flash in the pan

DBMethos
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Nice! I missed the 2nd half of the game last night but I'll keep my eye on Danny when I go back and watch the rest.

The Great Fantastic
01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Pretty exciting to see him apply pressure to Rubio and Ellis like he did. He is playing with crazy confidence and he absolutely needs to be given a spot in the rotation.

jjktkk
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Flash in the pan

Just like your troll tbh.

jjktkk
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Anthony Parker is an apt comparison for what Danny Green could become. Would be a great development for the Spurs. I'd like to see Green and Anderson swap roles at this point with Danny starting and James taking the 11th man slot.

Nice post.

I worry though, that Anderson, being a 1st rounder, would prevent Pop from benching him in favor of Green.

DMC
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Flash in the pan

My thoughts too.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Can Green play SG if he starts? I don't see why not.

Solid D
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Pop's new favorite player.

Good thoughts, GSH!

Calispursfan11
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Or maybe - who could he be? After last night, I saw a number of posts comparing Danny Green to Bruce Bowen. I wouldn't go that far after just one game. But there is one player who he resembles so much, that I think it's worth discussion - Anthony Parker. First, let me say that Anthony Parker is one of the players that I really wanted to see come to the Spurs. When he came back from Israel, he was one of the best (and probably the most under-rated) perimeter defenders in the league. He and T.J. Ford were largely responsible for getting the Raptors into the playoffs two years in a row. Then he started 81 games for the Cavs, the year they had the best record in the NBA. And at an average of about $3.5M per season, he's been one of the biggest bargains among veterans in the league for the last five seasons.

Physically, the two are almost identical. Both are listed at 6'6", 210 lbs., and both have reasonably long arms. Both were good defenders in college, and known for having a high basketball IQ. Both stayed in school for their senior years, and both were basically unwanted by the NBA teams that drafted them. Their first couple of years in the NBA look very much alike - almost nothing to talk about. Both finished up a season in the D-League. Both got told that they weren't good enough or athletic enough to make it in the NBA.

After getting no traction in the NBA, Parker went overseas. I got to see him play with Maccabi, and the more he was allowed to stay on the floor and "do his thing", the better he got. After just a few games, it was hard to believe that he had not been a starter in the NBA. He was a damned good defender, but he also had developed a very solid outside shot. Maybe he was a late bloomer, or maybe he is just one of those players who doesn't do anything flashy, and so goes unnoticed by most people. But he became a star (and a leader) when given the opportunity, and led Maccabi to two Euroleague championships.

Danny Green's NBA beginnings look very much like Parker's. Limited minutes, and not much to talk about. After spending some time in the D-League, Green went overseas - although he had a out clause to come back to the NBA. If the similarities continue, this could be a breakout season for him.

The way he played defense against Golden State looked uncannily like Parker when I saw him playing in Tel Aviv. He did a very good job of slowing down Monta Ellis - forcing him to give up the ball, making him work hard for shots. And on a number of plays he did a good job of holding him off long enough to feed him to a help defender. That's an under-rated skill for a good perimiter defender. (Those who think Bowen did it all by himself are naive. Nobody can lock down a scorer who is in the zone indefinitely.) It was only one game, but watching Danny Green last night was almost like watching an old film of Anthony Parker.

Some things don't show up on a stat sheet, and one of those is the confidence he seemed to suddenly be playing with. It's a hard thing pin down, but there were a couple of plays that I can think of that demonstrate that. Once was when he ran down on a fast break, and set up for that corner 3, and was just begging for the ball. In his mind, he KNEW that if he got the feed he was going to bury the shot. Another was late in the fourth quarter, with the Spurs up by just 1 point. The Warriors missed a shot, and Tim got the rebound - almost. He just couldn't get a handle on the ball, and neither could Jefferson, who was standing right next to Tim. It looked like one of the plays that make Spurs fans want to pull out their hair: two Spurs allow an easy rebound to become a loose ball, and let the opponent pick it up and score a gimme two points. That would have been a disaster at that point in the game. Green saw it developing, ran back and plucked the ball up from between Duncan and Jefferson - then he dribbled it out of trouble and got it up the floor to Parker. It may not sound like much, but a lot of young, untested players would have just left it to the two guys with the huge contracts. Green KNEW he could get the job done, and he jumped in and did it. And even though it didn't look like much, that play may have saved the game. If the Warriors had picked that ball up and scored to take the lead (and I think they would have, without Green stepping up) you would have felt the air leave the room.

It will be interesting to see if Green can keep it up, against better teams than Golden State. But a red hot Monta Ellis is a legitimate test of his defensive abilities. He may not be the next Bruce Bowen, but if he can play like Anthony Parker did at the same point in his career, he could become the first man off the bench now, and even a starter in a couple of years. Nobody - and I mean nobody, thought Anthony Parker could do it either, in his first couple of years in the league - he just showed up in Israel like a different player. I was still hoping that the Spurs might pick up an aging Anthony Parker this offseason. I'm excited at the possibility that they may have a young one in Danny Green.

I actually agree with most of this...

Solid D
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Question: Will we see heavy scoops of this small ball lineup over the next 35 games, or so?

Duncan
Jefferson
Green
Neal/TJ Ford
Parker

There was some nice chemistry with Ford added as a second creator.

Interrohater
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Question: Will we see heavy scoops of this small ball lineup over the next 35 games, or so?

Duncan
Jefferson
Green
Neal/TJ Ford
Parker

I don't think so, but it would be nice to have a strong bench that brings energy and creativity, ala the Malik Rose days in '99. Didn't he call them the Bum Rush crew or something similar? I can see TJ Ford, Green, Neal, Kawhi and Splitter or Blair come in as a small ball unit and really do some damage. I think there would be some obvious advantages and disadvantages to that bench lineup. We'd have a couple of strong perimeter defenders in Green and Ford, while also having a mediocre to good defensive presence inside with Kawhi and Splitter. Offensively, Ford is good enough to facilitate scoring by way of Green and Kawhi cuts, and the Splitter kickouts can hit Gary Neal sitting on the perimeter.

I'd much rather have Green off the bench and Anderson starting.

Dex
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Great write-up, appreciate the thoughts!

I agree that expecting Green to become a Bowen-like defender is raising the bar awfully damn high, but there were some moments last night that reminded me of things Bruce used to do on the floor.

Like when they kept trying to get the ball to Ellis standing above the arc, and he would jump into the passing lane and knock the ball out of bounds. Simple things like those implant yourself into the offensive players head and make him understand that he's not going to get anything easy, not even getting the ball.

Also when he was playing the two on one break and at the last second, he guessed correctly and made a perfect swipe down on the ball.

Or after he hit that step back and started (faked) running up the floor, but then juked back and almost nabbed the inbounds pass.

And most of all, that time where Ellis got him to bite on the fake, but he jumped beside him and stayed in position on his shooting hip, and was right there to stuff it on the second jump. That was a block that Bowen made several times, including one notable time on a certain German robot.

Ellis was still in the zone and hitting some incredible shots, but you could tell he was having to work harder for them. Having to zip around screens, and shoot the ball as soon as he got it in his hands, which led to several coming up short. And a lot of times, even when he hit his shots, he still did it with a Danny Green hand right in his sight-line. You could just see the frustration. This was the kind of "rash" that Bowen was known for giving players right from the get-go...get in their heads at the start of the game, and let them know that they are going to have to scrap for their points. That type of mentality has been missing from the Spurs for a while.

Obviously, it is way too early to start anointing this kid just yet, but I am definitely intrigued to see what he can bring while given the chance. It could all just be a flash in the pan...case of right place, right time on one given night. But considering the defensive intensity he's brought ever since he's been able to see some floor time, I think he can bring it more regularly than people think, and that would be a huge asset to this team.

Zero_Twilight
01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Wow, quality write up OP. I've stopped posting here due to the lack of real b-ball talk but you hit the nail on the head with this one. Great work.

While I'm not yet jumping on the Danny Green bandwagon, the similarities are undeniable.They both come from basketball families and it's in their blood to play this game.

Anybody can be like a "Bruce Bowen" type player once they get it through their heads that not everyone has to be like Jordan in order to help a team out. You just have to work on another set of skills. Anthony Parker realized this and was able to make a come back in the NBA. I think hes 35 or something now but Danny Green can still make a name for himself being so young. The idea of sicking him on longer, more powerful guards like Kevin Martin, Billups, Ellis, Rondo etc etc is very exciting indeed. If we can stop those type of players from scoring, perhaps the Spurs can regain some of that "Defense philosophy" for the remainder of the season.

:toast to Danny Green. Keep it up and prove to us you belong.

Interrohater
01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Like when they kept trying to get the ball to Ellis standing above the arc, and he would jump into the passing lane and knock the ball out of bounds. Simple things like those implant yourself into the offensive players head and make him understand that he's not going to get anything easy, not even getting the ball.

Also when he was playing the two on one break and at the last second, he guessed correctly and made a perfect swipe down on the ball.

Or after he hit that step back and started (faked) running up the floor, but then juked back and almost nabbed the inbounds pass.

And most of all, that time where Ellis got him to bite on the fake, but he jumped beside him and stayed in position on his shooting hip, and was right there to stuff it on the second jump. That was a block that Bowen made several times, including one notable time on a certain German robot.

Ellis was still in the zone and hitting some incredible shots, but you could tell he was having to work harder for them. Having to zip around screens, and shoot the ball as soon as he got it in his hands, which led to several coming up short. And a lot of times, even when he hit his shots, he still did it with a Danny Green hand right in his sight-line. You could just see the frustration. This was the kind of "rash" that Bowen was known for giving players right from the get-go...get in their heads at the start of the game, and let them know that they are going to have to scrap for their points. That type of mentality has been missing from the Spurs for a while
It's hard not to get excited about the potential. He definitely has the necessary assets in footspeed and tenacity. He also seems to have a high motor. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to continue that defensive intensity throughout the season. I sincerely hope that it's infectious, though, and spurs (pun intended) JA and Kawhi to up their defense as well.

xtremesteven33
01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
It was just one game...

DJ Mbenga
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
lebrons dance partner?

SenorSpur
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Great writeup, GSH! I appreciate the thoughts, insights and comparisons.

Green's arms looked a lot longer, to me, on the still shot photo than on TV. The Parker comparison probably makes more sense now than a Bowen comparison. However, it is a good target to aim for.

Green showed flashes of his skill last year and I'm happy as hell that the kid got another chance to showcase his stuff. Monta Ellis is a very dangerous and explosive scorer. To have a young player, get after it and make Ellis work to earn his points, in that way, was really special to watch.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
It was just one game...

Ironically that was the opening line to the book I'm writing about Danny Green.

z0sa
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm on the "only 1 game" boat.. dude looked great, even beastly, but one good game against undersized scorer Monta Ellis isn't nearly enough.

spurspokesman
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
It was just one game...

This. Then torch him when he has a bad game.

timvp
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Quality writeup, GSH. And I really liked Dex's reply :tu

Interrohater
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I love the bring-you-back-to-reality folks, as if having hope just isn't cool and shouldn't be spoken aloud.

Why open the thread if you're only going to roll your eyes and sneer?

angelbelow
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Wait.. weren't you the main guy behind the Green "looked like Bowen?" Anyway, great write up. I don't know much about Anthony Parker but I know that he had a few successful years playing with Lebron.

TimmehC
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Green showed flashes of this before, even in his first 10-day stint with the Spurs last season. The difference is, last night Pop left him in a close game, instead of just running him for a few possessions at the end of quarters.

xtremesteven33
01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
It all comes down to toughness and not being fearful. Anybody in the NBA can become a great player but can you do it with other players who look to expose you game by game. If Danny Green can continue to evolve and be determined to be a good player in the system im all for the bandwagon.

Gary Neal is a perfect example. Despite everything he endured he has proved himself to be a legitimate scorer in the NBA. Hes made a name for himself in the regular season and the playoffs. Now this is his year to continue to evolve and not let defenses make him a non factor in games. I believe in Gary Neal personally. I got to see more from Green before I jump on this bandwagon.

Kobayagi
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Didn't know this message board was still capable of having quality posts.

Bill_Brasky
01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I think he showed a lot of potential and his energy seemed contagious. Definitely a great fit for our team with his attitude.

GSH
01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Wait.. weren't you the main guy behind the Green "looked like Bowen?" Anyway, great write up. I don't know much about Anthony Parker but I know that he had a few successful years playing with Lebron.

Actually, I wasn't. What I said was that it may have been the best individual defensive performance I've seen since Bowen left. Several people took that to mean that I thought he was just like Bowen, which is one of the reasons I wanted to write this.

Look, I won't debate with anyone about it only being one night, either. I said so myself several times. What I can tell you is that I was already hard pressed to remember any two players who remind me more of each other on the floor. I watched Parker at the same point in his career, when he just seemed to find himself and changed into a really solid baller. And last night, watching Danny Green play was just like a deja vu moment. I'm not just talking about the results, I'm talking about the way he moved, and the kind of focus he showed on defense. And Green's 3-point shot reminds me of Parker's - not silky smooth like a Ray Allen. Just... solid. Square.

Anthony Parker, at his best, is like a 10 and 4 guy in the NBA. A lot of fans look at that and yawn. But he's been a great perimeter defender, and he commits very few fouls - very few mistakes. People were asking about Green, can he dribble, can he do this or that? Part of the point is that he doesn't have to do anything more than exactly what he did last night to have a real impact on this team. And I think that he has a coach that happens to appreciate that kind of play, and will even encourage it. Did anyone take notice of the fact that Green defended like that, but got zero fouls called? (As much as I came to like George Hill, he always got caught reaching a couple of times and picked up cheap fouls?)

The fact that he reminds me so much of Anthony Parker just helps me believe that a player can make that kind of transformation. I've seen it before.

Kobayagi
01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Danny played for my hometown team Olimpija in Slovenia during lockout. We liked him, but didn't exactly retire his jersey when he returned to NBA.

tdunk21
01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
with danny green getting bruce bowen comparison by so many on the board...i hope he keeps up this form and somehow cracks into the rotation...should give him more playing time, maybe then james anderson will get some confidence

timvp
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Danny played for my hometown team Olimpija in Slovenia during lockout. We liked him, but didn't exactly retire his jersey when he returned to NBA.

Green's stats with Olimpija:

28.4 minutes, 11.4 points, 4 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1 steal on 38.7% shooting from the field and 25% shooting on threes.

So yeah, he didn't exactly light it up.

*cue KBP*

MI21
01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice post GSH.

I to am on the "it's just one game boat", but if it continues there is no reason Danny can't carve out a career like Anthony Parker.

The player I was thinking yesterday after watching the game was another Spurs offcast,Raja Bell. A similar size, stregth and athleticism, a similar style of defense and a similar sort of aggression and cockiness that gives you the feel he thinks he is better than he is, which can go along way. His 3PT shot is ok at the moment, but looks like it has a chance to become much better, similar to how Raja started out.

If Danny could blossom into a similar style of player, then the Spurs should be extremely happy. That said, it was just one game... Spurfan loves to get up and about over one performance ie; Pops "Shawn Kemp" Mensah Bonsu, Malik Hairston, James White!, Francisco Elson in his first game... so I'll temper my expectations for a while just yet.

Manu-of-steel
01-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Nice post GSH.

I to am on the "it's just one game boat", but if it continues there is no reason Danny can't carve out a career like Anthony Parker.

The player I was thinking yesterday after watching the game was another Spurs offcast,Raja Bell. A similar size, stregth and athleticism, a similar style of defense and a similar sort of aggression and cockiness that gives you the feel he thinks he is better than he is, which can go along way. His 3PT shot is ok at the moment, but looks like it has a chance to become much better, similar to how Raja started out.

If Danny could blossom into a similar style of player, then the Spurs should be extremely happy. That said, it was just one game... Spurfan loves to get up and about over one performance ie; Pops "Shawn Kemp" Mensah Bonsu, Malik Hairston, James White!, Francisco Elson in his first game... so I'll temper my expectations for a while just yet.

It was 3 games in a row, not just one game. Minnesota, GS, and now Dallas. He's got game. I'm in for Green. The probem with Bowen comparison is that Bowen was able to guard Dirk because of his length. IMHO, Green would only be effective in defending 1, 2, and 3 positions only.

Ocotillo
01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
It was 3 games in a row, not just one game. Minnesota, GS, and now Dallas. He's got game. I'm in for Green. The probem with Bowen comparison is that Bowen was able to guard Dirk because of his length. IMHO, Green would only be effective in defending 1, 2, and 3 positions only.

That is why everyone is crossing their fingers that Kawhi will evolve into a premier NBA defender as he has the length to guard Dirk and Odom type fours.

cantthinkofanything
01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I like Green more and more. Still pretty raw at times. Liked him trying to take it to the rack over Ian. Almost put that in his face.

MI21
05-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Bump.

Some nice takes in this thread, a few posters noting the potential for him to become a key piece in a good team. Comparisons towards Anthony Parker and Raja Bell are ringing quite true now.

For me, Danny has been the biggest surprise of the year. Kawhi has been incredible, but he was a lottery quality player with a legit NBA body. Tim's resurgence doesn't surprise me as much because he is Tim Duncan. Danny was legitimately on his way out of the league.

Now he is proving to be a really nice defender and his offensive game has come a long way. His 3pt shot is deadly and he isn't scared to shoot them in the clutch, his passing has improved. His pump fake and one dribble is very nice when teams close out hard. If he can learn to finish in the keyway, he will be a real handful on a team that moves the ball so well like our Spurs.

Great work by the Spurs FO and by Pop for trusting and grooming this guy!

DBMethos
05-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Green has been very Manu-esque in the playoffs so far, which is definitely needed given that Manu hasn't been at his best yet.

100%duncan
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
:lol good bump

Jimcs50
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Who is Danny Green?

He is one of the guys directly responsible for the Spurs' resurgence. I'd give him 28% of the credit.

Dr Cox
05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
flash in the pan

lol

ViceCity86
05-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Danny Green is Stephen Jackson of 2003.
No one saw it coming.

senorglory
05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
No one saw it coming.

Danny green did. He knew he could do it.

TDMVPDPOY
05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
No one saw it coming.

and jax 2012 is steve smith 03 :( when is he going to show up

ViceCity86
05-21-2012, 12:18 PM

LOL but true-looking creakier than Steve Smith knees.

T Park
05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Wtf?

Your fucking joking right?

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Green has been very Manu-esque in the playoffs so far, which is definitely needed given that Manu hasn't been at his best yet.

I think that's the best way to put it.

Shabazz
05-21-2012, 08:47 PM
He's a kid whose heart is 100 times the size of his game.

He's a guy who would save every little bit of his stipend money he could to send it back to his younger brothers while his dad was sitting in a prison cell.

He's a true teammate who always points to the passer after he makes a shot.

He's a champion.

Blake
05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
He's a guy who would save every little bit of his stipend money he could to send it back to his younger brothers while his dad was sitting in a prison cell.

This is more impressive and compelling than anything he's done on the court.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Duncan
Jefferson
Green
Neal/TJ Ford
Parker

This seems so much more formidable with Leonard, Jackson, and Ginobili as options to support Duncan, Green, and Parker.

lurker23
05-22-2012, 12:54 AM
I missed this the first time around. Great post, GSH, very high quality stuff. :toast

Danny Green's play has to be one of the biggest surprises in the NBA this year. The thing that really strikes me the most is that I don't remember there being a ton of chatter on this board concerning Green during training camp. For a fan base that over-analyzes and over-hypes every player the Spurs have ever had the rights to- including the likes of Ian Mahinmi, James Gist, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, and Malik Hairston- Danny Green still managed to fly under the radar. Major props to Mr. Green.

(Side note: One thing that most of the guys listed above had that Green did not? Major athleticism. Yet another example of why there's much more to basketball than leaping ability.)

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2012, 12:58 AM
I missed this the first time around. Great post, GSH, very high quality stuff. :toast

Danny Green's play has to be one of the biggest surprises in the NBA this year. The thing that really strikes me the most is that I don't remember there being a ton of chatter on this board concerning Green during training camp. For a fan base that over-analyzes and over-hypes every player the Spurs have ever had the rights to- including the likes of Ian Mahinmi, James Gist, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, and Malik Hairston- Danny Green still managed to fly under the radar. Major props to Mr. Green.

(Side note: One thing that most of the guys listed above had that Green did not? Major athleticism. Yet another example of why there's much more to basketball than leaping ability.)

nah his been good even last season when he came in for scrub minutes nailin a shot here and there, its only this season that we see from him when he beated james anderson and started to move up the rotation...

his aggressive plays also allowed him to be promoted into the starting lineup...

KenziE
05-22-2012, 02:55 AM
he's a kid whose heart is 100 times the size of his game.

He's a champion.

word

-21-
05-22-2012, 03:01 AM

He's a champion.

He's more than a champion... He's a Spur.:flag:

timtonymanu
05-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Wtf?

Your fucking joking right?

Don't expect good takes from TDMVPDPOY.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2012, 03:03 AM
theres a possibility green gettin a ring b4 lebron

G-Dawgg
05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Danny Green reminds me of a young Doug Christie.

racm
05-22-2012, 07:06 AM
theres a possibility green gettin a ring b4 lebron

Biggest middle finger to the post-Jordan NBA tbh

mountainballer
05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
good comparison.
other than Parker at the same age Green shouldn't have the problem to build a NBA career from now on.
I think Green is a good example, that a 4 year college career in a good program does pay big dividends in the long run for some player.
see also Matt Bonner. (Bonner jokes aside, considering his abilities, Matt does deliver an unbeliveable NBA career)

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2012, 08:55 AM

He's a champion.

This. Kid deserves to be paid and if he gets a huge offer from some stupid GM he should take it and not look behind. Until a few months ago he was a guy on the edge of the NBA with a projected income of minimum unguaranteed contracs and now he's on the verge of signing a multimillion contract in the summer. What a life changing turn-around this is! Would be happy for him to get paid, just hope he plays well and the Spurs win this year.

Shabazz
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
This is more impressive and compelling than anything he's done on the court.

...and he was 18 or 19 when he started having to do that.

Spursmania
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
We need a big gif of Danny dancing:toast

Spursmania
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Major props to your post GSH.

T Park
05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I can still remember in those first couple games while James Anderson was struggling Sean Elliott saying on the broadcast "Id like to see Danny Green get a chance here, he shot well in the preseason and I think he can really bring a lot to the table"

Now here we are 4 wins from West champ banner number 5 hanging from the roof and Danny Green IMO, was been the 4th best, even 3rd best player during these playoffs.

Huge huge reason for the position they are in.

Shabazz
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
We need a big gif of Danny dancing:toast

http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1128049/danny-green-dance-o.gif

Spursmania
05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Just what the doctor ordered. :lol

Thanks Shabazz.:toast