PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal: Starter until Ginobili comes back?

FoxPerez
01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Gary Neal was pretty impressive at the start of that game. In the 2nd half against Golden State, Pop insisted on the team pushing the ball up the floor. Against Dallas, that's how they started. And with Gary Neal in the starting lineup, he had things open up for him early and often, with confusion and good passing creating easy baskets for Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop tries to make this happen every game from here on out. That's what makes him so great. Starting Neal in just his 2nd game back and using a different strategy for a big game against Dallas to get a dominating win that also rests key guys is an underrated coaching move that nobody is going to talk about, but could change the season.

The_Worlds_finest
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Hell stay starting even when Manu comes back... Count on it.

spurs10
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
When Manu returns having two starting SG's will be a good problem to have. Neal will probably start the majority of games this season.

IronMaxipad
01-06-2012, 02:28 PM
So is he going to be the starter for sure? Need 3pt shooting on my fantasy team imo.

DAF86
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Even if he doesn't start he will play some big minutes so you should definitely get him, imho.

wildbill2u
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I think Pop decided to give Neal the start because So far Anderson isn't showing much other than a desire to shoot. The difference so far is that Neal can make some while Anderson seems to have left his scoring touch at OSU.

therealtruth
01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I think Pop decided to give Neal the start because So far Anderson isn't showing much other than a desire to shoot. The difference so far is that Neal can make some while Anderson seems to have left his scoring touch at OSU.

Anderson strikes me as more of a scorer than a shooter.

TMTTRIO
01-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe when Manu comes back Neal can start and get a lot more of the minutes that way Manu only needs to play the during the 3rd and 4th quarters during clutch time.

Proxy
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
How many teams have their best player coming off the bench? It was acceptable when TP and TD were playing well, but now we need Manu to run the offense. He's the only one of the Big 3 that's still a force.

Neal is not a starting SG... one good game and you're already saying this shit? Jesus fucking christ.

NRHector
01-06-2012, 05:49 PM
How many teams have their best player coming off the bench? It was acceptable when TP and TD were playing well, but now we need Manu to run the offense. He's the only one of the Big 3 that's still a force.

Neal is not a starting SG... one good game and you're already saying this shit? Jesus fucking christ.may be you didn't see Neal last year but he was playing better than RJ so he deserves to be a starter

lmbebo
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't think you can count on anything as long as Pop is coaching. He'll change things as he sees fit.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Of course. Why are we even discussing this? Big Balls Neal is the starter and will remain so.

WeNeedLength
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Hell yes he should start. You think Anderson should start over him? Or we talking when Manu comes back? Either way Neal With It is already kicking ass in just his second game coming off surgery. Damn good sign.

Bender
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
second unit needs offense too...

therealtruth
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Neal is not a starting SG... one good game and you're already saying this shit? Jesus fucking christ.

Exactly people forget the only reason Manu came of the bench is because Finley was useless on the second unit. The only thing he was good at was hitting 3's from TP and TD passes.

Proxy
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
may be you didn't see Neal last year but he was playing better than RJ so he deserves to be a starter

Last I checked, Neal is a short SG and RJ is a SF... so with basketball logic on my side, I deem your post wrong on more than one level.

Neal is not a starter. He is a replacement. I love him, but he's a great role player and nothing more.

Proxy
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
I think Anderson should start as we need to develop him. Neal is the better scorer right now and more aggresive but Anderson has great upside he just needs to get in better shape and be aggresive.

Dont like Neal and TP on the floor at the same time. Both dominate the ball, Neal with the second team as the pg I love.

this

WeNeedLength
01-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I thought this belonged here...

http://i.imgur.com/G7OuW.gif

therealtruth
01-07-2012, 03:54 AM
I think Anderson should start as we need to develop him. Neal is the better scorer right now and more aggresive but Anderson has great upside he just needs to get in better shape and be aggresive.

Dont like Neal and TP on the floor at the same time. Both dominate the ball, Neal with the second team as the pg I love.

It makes sense but if Anderson is not going to play confidently he's hurting the team. It's fine if he goes 1/10 as long as he's playing confidently and is aggressive on both ends. The shots will eventually fall in. We saw how Neal's aggressiveness helped against the Mavs. Green also has to be in the equation because of his defense.

Arc
01-07-2012, 05:00 AM
the problem i have with ginobili being in the starting lineup is that you have all your old players concentrated there. it makes for some ugly basketball sometimes. if neal can give us that kind of energy every night, he needs to stay.

the second unit: ford, ginobili, leonard, bonner and splitter would be really deadly too.

DrSteffo
01-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Neal or Green depending on if we need O or D. Anderson has to play better to earn his minutes. Neal was good all last season and made the rookie all star team and was 5th in the voting for rookie of the year, so no doubt he deserves a lot of minutes.

rmt
01-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I like Neal as a starter until Manu comes back. RJ/Neal - 3pt shooting, Blair in the low post, TD in high post, TP penetrating. Spurs need the better players against the other starters of the league or they'll fall behind, and the bench (in particular, Bonner) won't play as freely with pressure. TJ - ball-handling, Bonner/Green/Anderson - 3pt, Splitter in the low post, Leonard - hopefully driving/cutting to the hoop.

When Manu comes back, he goes in the starting line-up and Neal takes Green/Anderson's spot on the 2nd unit. Green should play before Anderson based on his last 2 games.

NRHector
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Last I checked, Neal is a short SG and RJ is a SF... so with basketball logic on my side, I deem your post wrong on more than one level.

Neal is not a starter. He is a replacement. I love him, but he's a great role player and nothing more.I guess you misunderstood what I was trying to say, If RJ was playing like shit and still starting, Neal was playing much better and deserves to start regardless of the position based on performance on the court

SenorSpur
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Here it is.

Last year, Neal was very fortunate to have inherited a regular spot in the rotation, due to Anderson's unfortunate injury. He's demonstrated the ability to ball, at a high level, whether he's a starter or coming off the bench. And as Texas2Step indicated, the second unit could stand the scoring punch of Neal.

Now, Anderson desparately needs a boost in confidence and the opportunity to develop a rhythm with his teammates. That can best be accomplished by allowing him to play with the starters. It's still early in this protracted season. Therefore, any investment Pop makes in JA now, will only pay dividends down the road. It just makes better sense for JA to get the nod.