PDA

View Full Version : Are you guys still high on JA's potential?

Nathan89
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I never bought into him and now he can't even shoot.

jhuan16
01-08-2012, 09:17 PM
What potential?

Danny.Zhu
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
He did look promising at the few games last season. This season, it's just terrible.

Proxy
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Is it smart to depend on any bench player to be consistent?

Mal
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Dont know that I ever was there, even if, now I dont.

CGD
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Im still trying to figure out what his game is. Is he a slasher, spot up shooter, beat-guy off the dibble type? I have no clue at this point. He does seem slower than I remember.

spectator
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
he got beat off the dribble by 2nd and 3rd string guys from okc

spectator
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
dude is sloooooooooooooooooooow

spurtech09
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
your slow bro lmao

spurtech09
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
in the head Lol ha ha ha jk :)

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2012, 09:49 PM
the only thing his good at is beat his man of the the dribble, thats about it....

lol spurs and JA fanatics

spurtech09
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
James did play good last yr.....I think he still has potenial.....he can hit the 3....give the guy some time....I think he needs more practice....the lockout didn't help at all

cd98
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
He's dropped in the rotation after being first off the bench for Manu. So the Spurs are a little down on him.

He does look slow. But he looks decent in the post. He should develop a low post game.

spectator
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Has the guy played 40 games yet? The guy is a scorer, scorers need to get the ball and regular PT and shots. One of the best scorers in college the last 5 years who avg over 20ppg even while being tripled!

Give him some time. Hard to get shots when you have Neal, TP, RJ, Bonner, Manu,TD, Blair ahead of you on the shot chart.

You dont need to be super fast to be a good SG, Roy was never fast, Redd wasnt fast, Nick Anderson was not fast...the list goes on. Hes a Michael Redd type who can be a better defender.

His shots will start to fall and everyone will be singing his praises again.

man, i hope you're right. right now, the 2-guard order (when healthy) is manu - neal - green - anderson. if green can consistently hit the corner 3, i don't think anderson will move up the ladder any time soon.

urunobili
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
losing my faith slowly but surely...

Russo21
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Not high on him at all. Looks fat, slow, can't defend and now has lost his one and only ability which is shooting.

spectator
01-08-2012, 10:27 PM
maybe his demotion is playing with his head a little bit - he knows he has very little time to make an impression and seems to be willing to compromise some of his defense for offense - never a good sign

towards the end of the game okc shoots - before the ball even reaches the basket, JA is off to the races; ball bounces off the rim, baseline to an open okc player - swish

slick'81
01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
i havent seen anything i like of this kid yet.Doesnt show me much quickness or ups and he just doesnt look nba ready

MR.SILVER&BLack
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
damn. already losing faith in player who hasnt even played 20 games this season. 1 week of training camp, only 2 pre season games & unable to workout with any of the spurs coaches during the offseason. give him some time.

DMC
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Why do people cherry pick their right guesses or feelings and drag those up and ignore all the things they were wrong about?

Why do they not make these assertions before it becomes "obvious"?

Why make post hoc ad nauseum claims sans quid pro quo?

The ADMIRAL 50
01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Has the guy played 40 games yet? The guy is a scorer, scorers need to get the ball and regular PT and shots. One of the best scorers in college the last 5 years who avg over 20ppg even while being tripled!

Give him some time. Hard to get shots when you have Neal, TP, RJ, Bonner, Manu,TD, Blair ahead of you on the shot chart.

His shots will start to fall and everyone will be singing his praises again.

maybe his demotion is playing with his head a little bit - he knows he has very little time to make an impression and seems to be willing to compromise some of his defense for offense - never a good sign

I agree with these two posts. I'm as disappointed with Anderson's start to the season as anyone, but lets not forget the kid has played 35 NBA games. I definitely agree that his minutes and role being all over the place so far this season has been messing with his head a little bit, he might be putting too much pressure on himself with each game and each shot that he isnt able to just go out there and play ball. Once he has time to settle, carve out a more tangible role in the rotation, and get into a rhythm, I fully expect him to have, at the least, a solid second half of the season.

The ADMIRAL 50
01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
damn. already losing faith in player who hasnt even played 20 games this season. 1 week of training camp, only 2 pre season games & unable to workout with any of the spurs coaches during the offseason. give him some time.

And this one too^^

wildbill2u
01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Why do people cherry pick their right guesses or feelings and drag those up and ignore all the things they were wrong about?

I started a thread questioning whether Anderson was good enough???? months ago.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183937&highlight=Leonard+Anderson

He's had all the same time as the other players to practice and bring his game forward. Supposedly he was playing well before the start of the season in practice.

But he is steadily playing his way to the end of the bench and you don't get many chances to earn minutes in this league when others are out-playing you when they get the chance.

Nathan89
01-09-2012, 08:29 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183937&highlight=Leonard+Anderson

He's had all the same time as the other players to practice and bring his game forward. Supposedly he was playing well before the start of the season in practice.

But he is steadily playing his way to the end of the bench and you don't get many chances to earn minutes in this league when others are out-playing you when they get the chance.

Thanks for the link

Two of my post from the link:

"I was more impressed from the start with Neal. It's obvious that Neal is significantly better than Anderson at offense and neither are great at defense."

"I must of missed all of this. I never seen Anderson display a "ton of athleticism" before the injury. He can't score in a variety of ways either. All he can really do is shoot wide open 3's. He has limited ball handling and athleticism. That will prevent him from being anything but a 3pt shooter on offense.

I just don't see what all of you guys see in Anderson. He plays like an old guy that lost a step. Hopefully we didn't see him in peak physical condition at the beginning of last year."

rascal
01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes This is like his rookie year since he was out for almost all of last year.
He will have his ups and downs.

analyzed
01-10-2012, 01:54 AM
With JA now being the 4th shooting guard in the depth chart behind Manu, Neal and now Green he definetly is dispensible. I would either trade him or RJ for a young serviceble big any day. I think many teams would be interested in his potential

jjktkk
01-10-2012, 03:48 AM
With JA now being the 4th shooting guard in the depth chart behind Manu, Neal and now Green he definetly is dispensible. I would either trade him or RJ for a young serviceble big any day. I think many teams would be interested in his potential

And his potential is the reason you might want to hold on to him, considering Ginoboli's age. Greens on fire right now, but lets see if he can substain it. Much to soon to be giving up on Anderson, unless theres a trade too good to be true.

Darkwaters
01-10-2012, 03:55 AM
He's dropped in the rotation after being first off the bench for Manu. So the Spurs are a little down on him.

He does look slow. But he looks decent in the post. He should develop a low post game.

Well, to be fair, Danny Green playing out of his mind might have also been a contributing factor. I mean, who saw that coming?

z0sa
01-10-2012, 05:37 AM
I had no clue Green could play as well as he has, or I'd have never gone away from JA. Props to Pop and the coaching staff for their evaluation. However, I'm still higher on Anderson than Green, judging from last season when he had some really good moments... I don't know how long that feeling will last, however.

DMC
01-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I just wanted to use Latin. I didn't really pay attention to the OP tbh.

TJastal
01-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Well, to be fair, Danny Green playing out of his mind might have also been a contributing factor. I mean, who saw that coming?

:toast

TJastal
01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
I had no clue Green could play as well as he has, or I'd have never gone away from JA. Props to Pop and the coaching staff for their evaluation. However, I'm still higher on Anderson than Green, judging from last season when he had some really good moments... I don't know how long that feeling will last, however.

CyBcHUe4WeQ

cheguevara
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Anderson sucks. wake the fuck up

rascal
01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
It depends on what you mean by high on potential.

He has the potential to be a solid starter not a star or borderline star.

timvp
01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
With JA, shooting was supposed to be his main strength that the rest of his game was built around. If he can't shoot, he's not even close to a legit prospect.

Even if he gets his shot back, his inability to dribble in traffic or move laterally on defense might doom him. But we'll see. He's fallen flat on his face so far this season but once/if his shot comes back, it'll be easier to reevaluate his chances.

wildbill2u
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Lest we forget, he was given some minutes last year AFTER he came back from Rehab in Feb. By the time of the playoffs he had played his way back to the end of the bench and Green was ahead of him. This is the second time he's managed that trick.

There are all kinds of reasons why non-lottery players don't work out when they come to the bigs. On the TV show "open Court" the panel of NBA retired players all subscribed to the theory that they all knew players when they were coming up who were better athletically or with more skills, but didn't have their dedication. A lack of professional attitude---Bad work habits, too lazy to learn there are two ends on the court, drugs, Big Macs, etc.--prevented those players from succeeding.

This lack of professionalism can overcome 'potential' and Pop doesn't have much patience for any lack of professionalism.

I'm not saying Anderson is guilty of any of these because I don't claim any inside info or insight, but he seems to be wasting the potential many people hoped that he had. In a shortened season, with Manu out, he needs to step up his game quickly or he will be gone.

TJastal
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Lest we forget, he was given some minutes last year AFTER he came back from Rehab in Feb. By the time of the playoffs he had played his way back to the end of the bench and Green was ahead of him. This is the second time he's managed that trick.

There are all kinds of reasons why non-lottery players don't work out when they come to the bigs. On the TV show "open Court" the panel of NBA retired players all subscribed to the theory that they all knew players when they were coming up who were better athletically or with more skills, but didn't have their dedication. A lack of professional attitude---Bad work habits, too lazy to learn there are two ends on the court, drugs, Big Macs, etc.--prevented those players from succeeding.

This lack of professionalism can overcome 'potential' and Pop doesn't have much patience for any lack of professionalism.

I'm not saying Anderson is guilty of any of these because I don't claim any inside info or insight, but he seems to be wasting the potential many people hoped that he had. In a shortened season, with Manu out, he needs to step up his game quickly or he will be gone.

I agree with these comments from wildbill2u.

Anderson is pissing away every one of his chances, last year by getting fat and lazy when he was out w/ his injured toe and now he seems to be putting on weight and slowing down again. Not a good recipe for a SG to be carrying any extra weight, unlike say, a PF/C.

But even in his best shape, he wouldn't be anywhere near the defensive player Green is. Green is blossoming into a legit nba player very quickly... while Anderson looks anything but. Green is a legit combo SG/SF because even though his listed height (6'6") is identical to Anderson, he plays bigger because of the superior vertical, lateral footspeed, and length advantage. Just as I thought he would.

At this point, I doubt Anderson will be getting many more chances, if any.

DaBears
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Its not a leap to say POP benchs players that are performing.. And if your not you go to the bench, this year when given the chance he hasn't been able to hit the open shot or been able to convert any shots.... He might just need more playing time to get back the stroke....:flag:

silverblk mystix
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree with these comments from wildbill2u.

Anderson is pissing away every one of his chances, last year by getting fat and lazy when he was out w/ his injured toe and now he seems to be putting on weight and slowing down again. Not a good recipe for a SG to be carrying any extra weight, unlike say, a PF/C.

But even in his best shape, he wouldn't be anywhere near the defensive player Green is. Green is blossoming into a legit nba player very quickly... while Anderson looks anything but. Green is a legit combo SG/SF because even though his listed height (6'6") is identical to Anderson, he plays bigger because of the superior vertical, lateral footspeed, and length advantage. Just as I thought he would.

At this point, I doubt Anderson will be getting many more chances, if any.

Just imagine...if Pop had put Green in to guard Conley against Memphis in the playoffs...instead of George "I got ass-raped by Nash" Hill...

It would have taken pressure off of TP and made up a little for Manu's injury...

Manufan909
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with these two posts. I'm as disappointed with Anderson's start to the season as anyone, but lets not forget the kid has played 35 NBA games. I definitely agree that his minutes and role being all over the place so far this season has been messing with his head a little bit, he might be putting too much pressure on himself with each game and each shot that he isnt able to just go out there and play ball. Once he has time to settle, carve out a more tangible role in the rotation, and get into a rhythm, I fully expect him to have, at the least, a solid second half of the season.

He played 25+ games last season? I thought he got hurt pretty early (I guess he played 10 games with just garbage minutes at the end of the season).

GrandeDavid
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I never bought into him and now he can't even shoot.

Nah. I've seen him as a hopeful role player at best.

therealtruth
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Just imagine...if Pop had put Green in to guard Conley against Memphis in the playoffs...instead of George "I got ass-raped by Nash" Hill...

It would have taken pressure off of TP and made up a little for Manu's injury...

I think part of the problem is on Pop. In the past he used to experiment and try different ideas if something was not working. But recently he's been more reticent to change something even if it's not working. The Grizzlies series was a perfect example. It's hard to see any strategical adjustments the Spurs made in the series. He's surprising me a little bit this year by playing some of the younger players more and choosing Green over JA.

spurs10
01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Manu being out is a blessing in disguise for JA. He will continue to get a few more chances. Green has out played him on both sides of the floor, that's for sure, thankfully.

Ditty
01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Well TJ can't defend this comment because he is George Hill fag boy lover himself, crying about how it was a horrible trade to trade him for Leonard.

I like Green , but him getting shitted on by Harden really sent us back to reality. JA has the most upside from all the young guys, and played good defense on Harden minus one play. He will get his shit together eventually and yall will be crawling back like every player who starts off bad.

Cane
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
JA is the type of player that has bust written all over him, according to the likes of the infamous Bill Simmons. Simmons is never high on college scorers that need the ball and aren't particularly dominant in anything, which Mr. Anderson is.

JA looked promising early last season, but he probably won't have many minutes or opportunities to develop for this season. Spurs should hold on to him if the price is right, but the logjam is pretty mighty for the silver and black when it comes to the wing

DejuanorwhatDude
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I think its pretty safe to say that the sample size on both of these guys is pathetically smalll, but less so in JA's case. He doesn't seem to have much of a spark. Too early to put any kind of nails in these players coffins.

jjktkk
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Too early to put any kind of nails in these players coffins.

Its never too early on here. :lol

TD 21
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
To me, it's real simple with him. Green, while obviously playing over his head currently, has shown that he can be a rotation caliber player. So once Ginobili returns, they'll have five useful wings, not counting Anderson. And Anderson is not a good enough or unique enough prospect to overlook the current logjam because of what he might be in the future. So what they should do, is package him with Blair and their 1st, if need be and attempt to acquire a high quality, young, two way power forward. Because they foolishly failed to do this while they could still use McDyess' contract, they've greatly diminished their options.

That being said, that's a good enough package to where they could potentially get a team to part with a player who's not necessarily available. One example is Davis, who they were high on going into the '10 draft. The Raptors are high on him too, as well they should be after his solid, underrated rookie season. But he's struggling so far this season, Bargnani and A. Johnson have gone to another level and they have Valanciunas coming over next season. So they may be able to be talked into trading him.

callo1
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I still like JA, he just needs to go out and find his niche, which I believe is being a slasher. That being said, DG has made JA somewhat expendable. Bonner, Blair and JA for a more than decent big...hmm, I like all of those guys, but I would pull the trigger, but the problem is I doubt another team would.

Texas_Ranger
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Hell no... Still don't know why was he in the game instead of Green.

Ditty
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Hell no... Still don't know why was he in the game instead of Green.

because Green is inconsistent and sucks balls.

BackHome
01-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Anderson sucks. wake the fuck up

I guess same people saying Splitter sucks last year have moved on to Anderson sucks this year. I would give the kid time he has yet had a whole training camp as he was hurt the first year and lock out the second.

I do though think we are going to have to look at probably moving him and we have a glut at SG. I think that our last years pick Hanga maybe takes his place next year.

To be honest the only person who sucks on this team is Bonner.

Nathan89
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
because Green is inconsistent and sucks balls.

Anderson is consistent at being bad, imho.

Ditty
01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Anderson is consistent at being bad, imho.

Well I rather they play the player with the most upside of these two shitty players.

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Injuries to Neal, Manu, and TJ have provided ample opportunities for the young wings on the Spurs to make an impression. Leonard and Green have seized those opportunities while Anderson has not.

In a normal season, teams have until October 31st to exercise the 3rd or 4th year team options on rookie contracts. With the lockout, that deadline has been moved to January 25th this season.

As far as I can tell, Anderson is among seven first round picks from the 2010 Draft that have yet to have their 2012-13 options picked up. We'll know within the next 12 days if the Spurs still like James enough to guarantee his 1.5M salary for the 2012-13 season.

Btw, the other six players from the 2010 draft are:

Xavier Henry (12)
Craig Brackins (21)
Damion James (24)
Q. Pondexter (26)
Greivis Vasquez (28)
Daniel Orton (29)

z0sa
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I am still VERY high on Anderson. What I saw early last season gave me a lot of hope that he could be another steal by the FO.

However, like Mel_13 just pointed out, opportunity is knocking and he's taking a long, long time to get to the door. In reality, I couldn't care less if he does well as long as Kawhi and Green can make up for his presence and production.

Good luck JA.

smrattler
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
LEss and less by the hour....

The ADMIRAL 50
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I am still VERY high on Anderson. What I saw early last season gave me a lot of hope that he could be another steal by the FO.

However, like Mel_13 just pointed out, opportunity is knocking and he's taking a long, long time to get to the door. In reality, I couldn't care less if he does well as long as Kawhi and Green can make up for his presence and production.

Good luck JA.

z0sa:
Just curious, what is it that keeps you so high on him as a prospect? As I stated earlier in this thread, I still havent given up on Anderson and believe he needs a chance to settle into his first real season and his role before judgement is passed....but that said he has looked pretty miserable. I'd love to hear the thoughts of some one who still describes themselves as VERY high on JA. Thanks.

jjktkk
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
z0sa:
Just curious, what is it that keeps you so high on him as a prospect? As I stated earlier in this thread, I still havent given up on Anderson and believe he needs a chance to settle into his first real season and his role before judgement is passed....but that said he has looked pretty miserable. I'd love to hear the thoughts of some one who still describes themselves as VERY high on JA. Thanks.

I'm high on him, just because he was a 1st round pick, and would be pissed if he was a bust. Imo, JA is pressing and feels he has to produce. I would suprised if the Spurs did not pick up his option. Too early to give up on JA, but he needs to show something this year.

z0sa
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
z0sa:

I think his three point stroke could eventually be one of the NBA's best, if he were given the minutes to increase his confidence, and I like his size and athleticism for a SG. I honestly think he could be a decent or better scorer in the NBA. Some players take time to develop, especially defensively, and I anticipate he could be a good one on both ends, particularly offensively.

It's speculation at this point but JA was a damned good scorer in college. It's hard to imagine, with his obvious athleticism and stroke as well as his good play last year, that in the end he is just another scrub.

I agree that he is pressing a bit but he's just a kid by NBA standards, due in no small part to his season ending injury. More time on the court should instill confidence in him, particularly if Green levels off.

venitian navigator
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
In training camp he was playing good, at the point that his teammates were saying he could have been the possibile (positive) surprise this season...
Said that, I thought he had a good athleticism, and what scared me is that he didn't show that in the minutes he has played till now...I thought also he could have been a decent ball handler...but as of now he doesn't look like he can do that.

Probably, one thing to consider is that his game is based a lot on confidence, and having lost last season and played just a short (but positive, as it seemed) training camp maybe has been bad for him...also 'cause we've never been as deep as in this season in his role...

therealtruth
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
He seems like George Hill another player who's game is affected by his confidence. Basically Hill was a feast or famine player when you needed him. First you should never lose confidence and even if you're shots aren't going in you should continue to compete.

DrSteffo
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
No he seems like a bust. We should draft more international players like Manu and Parker.

dbestpro
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I think his three point stroke could eventually be one of the NBA's best, if he were given the minutes to increase his confidence.

That is what the D-league is for.

z0sa
01-13-2012, 02:47 PM

A trip to the D-League could be good for him. Not sure at this point - it's not like Green and even Kawhi are ultra reliable.

The ADMIRAL 50
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
thanks z0sa and jjktkk :toast

I agree 100% with your thoughts concerning him pressing too much, I believe I touched on them in my post on this topic in the thread's first page. After getting the start in the first game after Manu went down and playing poorly, JA got yanked by Pop and hasn't seen the court very much since. I really think that move killed his confidence; I think if Pop had gone the other route and kept him in the starting 5, even if he didnt play him starter's minutes, the effect would have been the opposite, and JA might have been emboldened. Plus, I like Neal better as a sixth man than a starter anyway. I'm disappointed with Anderson's start to the season, but I, too, have high hopes for the kid. As I mentioned before, once we are half way through the season or so, and his minutes and role are most consistent and established (if that ever takes place) I think we will see a much more relaxed and comfortable Anderson, and thus a much better one.

DrSteffo
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Kawhi seems to be a good draft pick. Green is great as a non-draft pick. J.A. seems lazy.

The ADMIRAL 50
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Tearing it up in the D league really could be the perfect thing for him, and he really should be entirely capable of doing so. I agree that Green and Leonard aren't stalwarts yet, and neither has a fully developed offensive game, but that's what Neal is here for. We have the depth to get by without him for a bit (knock on wood gd injuries fuck), so hopefully that would get him going. Although, conversely, it could run the risk of further ruining his confidence. That injury last year really screwed him, now he is two years removed from the swagtastic feel of wrecking in a stacked Big 12.

Bruno
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes, I am.

xmas1997
01-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Me too.

DrSteffo
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes, I am.

why?

Bruno
01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
why?

Because I really liked what I saw from him before he broke his shoot and when I like a player, It takes a lot of time before I gave up on him. For example, I still think Marcus Williams is Spurs' savior...

Speaking of JA, Spurs have until January 25th to pick his option for 2012-2013. It's only $1.5M so Spurs should pick it but if he continues to suck, they might reconsider it.

Russ
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
JA reminds me of old ABA Spur Donnie Freeman. Donnie looked about 80 years old and moved so slowly that Chick Hearn nicknamed him "Fluid Drive" when he ended his career with the Lakers in 1976.

But Donnie Freeman was efficient in his movements and effective as a player. (He was also a lot older than JA to look so old and fragile.)

JA needs to have one thing that he can do really well to stick in the league. He doesn't have to do it all, just be really good at one thing.

Right now I'm not sure what that one thing is.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:36 AM
JA reminds me of old ABA Spur Donnie Freeman. Donnie looked about 80 years old and moved so slowly that Chick Hearn nicknamed him "Fluid Drive" when he ended his career with the Lakers in 1976.

But Donnie Freeman was efficient in his movements and effective as a player. (He was also a lot older than JA to look so old and fragile.)

JA needs to have one thing that he can do really well to stick in the league. He doesn't have to do it all, just be really good at one thing.

I've got a nick for JA .. "The Tortoise". Movements so slow and subtle they put defenders to sleep.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2012, 04:44 AM
I like JA and think he'll eventually come good as a wing scorer in the NBA. Think the Spurs would be foolish not to pick his option.

TJastal
01-16-2012, 04:50 AM
I like JA and think he'll eventually come good as a wing scorer in the NBA. Think the Spurs would be foolish not to pick his option.

When you say "good wing scorer" do you mean Kevin Martin / Joe Johnson good or do you mean Marco Belinelli / Shannon Brown type good?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2012, 04:56 AM
When you say "good wing scorer" do you mean Kevin Martin / Joe Johnson good or do you mean Marco Belinelli / Shannon Brown type good?

Certainly not all-star good :) but that's not a knock on the dude. Some people on this board have expected him to match Manu ( extreme, I know ) and now people think he's D-league material ( extreme again ). He's neither, but I believe he'll be a capable scorer for some team, maybe a 6th man type.

Redshadows
01-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Anderson would be better than Neal in the future.
He would be better when Manu came back.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Anderson would be better than Neal in the future.
He would be better when Manu came back.

not sure if serious

analyzed
01-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Certainly not all-star good :) but that's not a knock on the dude. Some people on this board have expected him to match Manu ( extreme, I know ) and now people think he's D-league material ( extreme again ). He's neither, but I believe he'll be a capable scorer for some team, maybe a 6th man type.

Unfortunately I don't think the Spurs is that team, we just have to many SG's (Manu, Neal, Green) to give Anderson playing time to develop.

pjjrfan
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I remember he played Kobe very well defensively and he showed well offensively before his injury he played very well. once he came back the spurs were on a roll and he just didn't get any significant playing time this year you can tell he has no confidence in his game. He keeps pressing and has made very poor on court decisions which I think has really put him in Pops doghouse. I think he has some game but right now he is stuck in neutral and green and Leonard are playing much better. He got plenty of playing time early in the season so he has only himself to blame .

Bruno
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
So TJ Ford is out, Manu is out, Neal is out for half of the game and Anderson got a DNP CD. It doesn't look good at all for him...

ChuckD
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately I don't think the Spurs is that team, we just have to many SG's (Manu, Neal, Green) to give Anderson playing time to develop.

With Manu, TJ, and now Neal on the shelf, his time is now. There are a few guard/SF minutes to be had, but not for long. He seems to be pressing, thinking he needs to finish everything at the rim. I think his mid range game would serve him well now.

Darkwaters
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Is a D-League stint in the cards for Anderson?

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Is a D-League stint in the cards for Anderson?

It looks like he's only going to play in garbage time for the Spurs. If they plan on keeping him, he may as well go to Austin and get some minutes. Maybe he'll find his shot.

Darkwaters
01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
It looks like he's only going to play in garbage time for the Spurs. If they plan on keeping him, he may as well go to Austin and get some minutes. Maybe he'll find his shot.
This is his last year of D-League eligibility.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
This is his last year of D-League eligibility.

I believe the new CBA provides for three years of D-League eligibility, but it's hardly certain that JA will be here beyond this season.

Darkwaters
01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Nope: Each NBA team can assign two first or second year players to its affiliated D-League team.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Nope: Each NBA team can assign two first or second year players to its affiliated D-League team.

I don't have a source to dispute that, just my memory of reported changes to the CBA. At any rate, it won't affect JA's status this season.

SenorSpur
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM

I didn't think about him - in fact I haven't thought about him in years - but you're right on. Freeman was certainly NOT very fleet afoot, but he certainly was, as you say, effecient and very effective. He got the job down and could score enough to keep defenses honest.

Love the old school Spur reference. :toast

All that said, I think it's very premature for the Spurs to give up on JA just yet. In fact, I believe it would be a mistake. After all, he was injured last year; no summer league and no limited training camp this year. That's not exactly a recipe for success. I wouldn't want to see this kid go somewhere else and flourish into an effective starter. I saw enough in those 26 games last year to know this kid has something. He just needs to regain his confidence. Let's not run him out of town yet.

SenorSpur
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
I guess same people saying Splitter sucks last year have moved on to Anderson sucks this year. I would give the kid time he has yet had a whole training camp as he was hurt the first year and lock out the second. .
Amen!

I do though think we are going to have to look at probably moving him and we have a glut at SG. I think that our last years pick Hanga maybe takes his place next year..
Don't agree with this at all. Who's to say Hanga will be ready to come over next year? And Hange is nowhere near the proven scorer that JA is now?

To be honest the only person who sucks on this team is Bonner.
The constant weak link in the Spurs rotational chain is the red-headed Ginger. He is, and continues to be, THE glaring weakness of this team. He, not only has a limited skill set and declining production, but he's a mental midget and a proven playoff choker. To make matters worse, he occupies a roster spot and a place in the rotation, where the Spurs would be better served having a young, athletic big that could be helping anchor the frontline.

Bonner provides nothing and yet we're all debating whether JA should be retained. Let's get some perspective folks!

timvp
01-16-2012, 01:32 PM

As far as I know, that changed in the latest CBA:

Players with three years of service or less can be assigned to the D-League. (It was two years' experience in the previous CBA.)

• A player can be assigned to the D-League an unlimited number of times after a limit of three in the previous CBA.

• Players continue to receive their NBA salary while assigned to the D-League. This was also the case under the previous CBA, but ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported recently that the league was pushing for players to be paid at D-League salary rates while under assignment.

• Players with more than three years' experience can be assigned to the D-League -- for example, for injury rehabilitation -- but only when the player and the union request the assignment. Under the previous CBA, players with more than two years' experience could not be assigned to the D-League no matter what.

Darkwaters
01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
As far as I know, that changed in the latest CBA:

Well I stand corrected then. I must have missed that change.