PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Parents Reportedly Outraged Over School Math Assignment

Agloco
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
...............That Used Questions About Slavery.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/08/georgia-parents-reportedly-outraged-over-school-math-assignment-that-used/

NORCROSS, Ga. – Angry parents called for an apology after a Georgia elementary school set a math assignment that used questions about slavery and beatings, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Parents of third grade students at Beaver Ridge Elementary School, Norcross, were outraged after their children brought home a math worksheet featuring questions such as "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

They were also asked, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"

Really? :rolleyes

Blake
01-08-2012, 10:19 PM
incredible that they still had worksheets left over from 1855

Drachen
01-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I honestly thought that the question was going to be something like this "if one slave is 3/5 of a real person, how many real people are 15 slaves?"

Jacob1983
01-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Whatever happened to 2+2=4?

JoeChalupa
01-09-2012, 12:24 AM
This about sums it up....racism is still alive and well. No matter how you add things up...the results are a dividing factor in America today.

Wild Cobra
01-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Some teacher probably pulled out an old text book and thought it would be funny, was my first thought, but then I keyword searched and read several articles. I doubt it would be a white teacher...

You all have seen the trend, right? It the person responsible were white for this attempt of mixing history and math, it would be plastered over the news. I couldn't find a single reference to the teachers race!

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Some teacher probably pulled out an old text book and thought it would be funny, was my first thought, but then I keyword searched and read several articles. I doubt it would be a white teacher...

You all have seen the trend, right? It the person responsible were white for this attempt of mixing history and math, it would be plastered over the news. I couldn't find a single reference to the teachers race!

Can you for once try and not make assumptions on a topic when you do not have complete information. Its not like your guessing has demonstrated that you are good at it. All you do is make shit up to fit your world view. its pathetic.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-09-2012, 07:22 AM

so you don't actually know what race the teacher is... talking out of your ass as usual I see

Drachen
01-09-2012, 07:38 AM
this about sums it up....racism is still alive and well. No matter how you add things up...the results are a dividing factor in america today.

pun!

If you let these things go unchecked, the problems will continue to multiply which will in turn divide communities against one another, taking away their ability to be more effective.

m>s
01-09-2012, 07:52 AM
so each slaver would only pick 7 oranges, workload too light for dem n!ggas imho

mrsmaalox
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd be extremely outraged that the person teaching my 8 year old math is too stupid to see how inappropriate that is.

boutons_deux
01-09-2012, 02:23 PM
"innappropriate"

It's not inappropriate in Georgia or the South.

beating Frederick?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Frederick_Douglass_portrait.jpg/417px-Frederick_Douglass_portrait.jpg

racist dogs hear that whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
"innappropriate"

It's not inappropriate in Georgia or the South.

beating Frederick?

racist dogs hear that whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass

I'd like to think it was this Frederick:

http://pull.imgfave.netdna-cdn.com/image_cache/1300756814735035.jpeg

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
"Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Isn't this a trick question anyway? Slaves pick cotton, not oranges.

Alex Haley
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I too would be outraged.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I came in expecting to find that the parents in Georgia were just pissed that someone was attempting to teach their children the devil's number magic. I learned a valuable lesson about judging others today.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
vvIfO4JXO24

EVAY
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I saw a clip about this on the national tv news. It appears that the rationale (using the term loosely here) for including questions on a math test that were this idiotically phrased was that they were trying one of those 'integrated' (no pun intended) curricula that say if you treat the same general topic in each subject matter, the students will retain more of it than otherwise.

Since the class was studying the history of slavery in social sciences class, they were trying to bring the course work together by introducing the social science topics in the math classes.

I didn't say it wasn't stupid. I just said that was their rationale for it.

LnGrrrR
01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
That's one stupid test.

SnakeBoy
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Since the class was studying the history of slavery in social sciences class, they were trying to bring the course work together by introducing the social science topics in the math classes.

Just wait until they take sex ed...

If Johnny's dick is 25% smaller than Leroy's dick and Ming's dick is 30% smaller than Johnny's then how much smaller is Ming's dick compared to Leroy's?

EVAY
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Just wait until they take sex ed...

If Johnny's dick is 25% smaller than Leroy's dick and Ming's dick is 30% smaller than Johnny's then how much smaller is Ming's dick compared to Leroy's?

:lol:lol:lol

Oh, Gee!!
01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Rick Santorum wrote the test. He didn't mean to write "slaves." His hand slipped. None of the students read "slave," according to Rick.