PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Talk

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I used to always use the standard Berol Mirado #2 pencil and really liked them. But at some point, they got bought by Paper Mate. I don't know if the quality is the same as when I first used them. They seem OK. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a premium quality pencil. I see they have a Mirado Black Warrior which looks pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience with the BW pencil? Or have any other recommendations?

Also, no mechanical pencils. And it must have an eraser.

man on wire
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Yellow No.2 works for me.

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
:lol what a weird thread. In high school, I always stuck with the bright yellow Dixon Ticonderogas. Great feel and great eraser. Paper mates were the worst tbh

Yeah. It's a good pencil. The Berol Mirados were really solid too. It's what I used in high school and why I went back to them when I started using pencils more. But I'm skeptical that Paper Mate hasn't cut some corners. I wish I had one of the old pencils to compare it too.

I also like the color of the Berol Mirados over the Ticonderogas. The Ticonderogas are too yellow while the Mirados are more of an orange. In any event, I think I want something a step up from either of those. I put the Sanford Amerian in roughly the same catetory as the two above.

Dex
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
The word pencil in French is crayon. How confusing is that? What do they call crayons?

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
The word pencil in French is crayon. How confusing is that? What do they call crayons?

I don't give a shit. I'm just looking for a good quality pencil. Help me out Dex.

z0sa
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Also, no mechanical pencils.

only kind of pencils I've used since 3rd grade. sharpening sucks

Dex
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't give a shit. I'm just looking for a good quality pencil. Help me out Dex.

I thought this thread was for general pencil talk. Excuse TF outta me.

This guy seems pretty smitten with these: http://pencils.com/blog/best-pencil-world-joseph-finder/

Dex
01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
only kind of pencils I've used since 3rd grade. sharpening sucks

Agreed. Regular pencils are obviously superior for art unless you are illustrating, but writing with anything other than a mechanical pencil is for suckers.

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I thought this thread was for general pencil talk. Excuse TF outta me.

This guy seems pretty smitten with these: http://pencils.com/blog/best-pencil-world-joseph-finder/

That sounds like a good pencl but they quit making it. The article said you could buy one pencil on Ebay for about $40. Way more than I want to pay. I don't mind paying $1 per pencil if it's a great pencil. But anything more seems frivolous.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
If you are really picky about pencils you should graduate from elementary school and get you a Staedtler or Kohinoor lead holder, sharpener, and a pink pearl eraser. you can change from a wide variety of lead density depending on what you are doing and how fine a line you want to draw. Also, practice rolling the pencil in your hand constantly as you write to keep it consistent.

http://static1.jetpens.com/images/a/000/013/13481.jpg

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/003/3310.jpg

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
If you are really picky about pencils you should graduate from elementary school and get you a Staedtler or Kohinoor lead holder, sharpener, and a pink pearl eraser. you can change from a wide variety of lead density depending on what you are doing and how fine a line you want to draw. Also, practice rolling the pencil in your hand constantly as you write to keep it consistent.

Fuck that. I want a motherfucking pencil. Not a lead holder. My handwriting is horrible and it's much more legible when using a pencil. I've tried mechanical pencils but they just don't work as well for me. All I'm trying to do is find the best one I can for a reasonable amount of money.

cantthinkofanything
01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
That being said, and after doing some research, I might give CC's recommendations a shot.

I really didn't know there was a difference between an MP and an LH. The LH looks like a good alternative.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
That being said, and after doing some research, I might give CC's recommendations a shot.

I really didn't know there was a difference between an MP and an LH. The LH looks like a good alternative.

Yep, that skinny ass lead in mechanical pencils sucks. Lead holders are nothing like that. They are big boy pencils. I keep several in my desk along with half a dozen different hardness lead packs.

Dex
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
You should check out Pen Island. Ive heard they have some good deals.

The Reckoning
01-09-2012, 08:19 PM

maybe youre thinking in the wrong direction. maybe they call them crayons because theyre "fancy pencils."

BlackSwordsMan
01-09-2012, 08:51 PM
did you ever do that little drum thing with two pencils?

DMC
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
As you get older, especially with the metal pencils, you might find one day you no longer have lead in it. When that happens, you might need to switch to a pen, like other adults, unless you are an artist. Judging by your shitty attempts at humor, you certainly aren't a writer (at least not a published one).

The Reckoning
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
theres this thing..called a computer

baseline bum
01-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Being left-handed, I hate pencil. The Persians have it made writing right to left.

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 12:46 AM
As you get older, especially with the metal pencils, you might find one day you no longer have lead in it. When that happens, you might need to switch to a pen, like other adults, unless you are an artist. Judging by your shitty attempts at humor, you certainly aren't a writer (at least not a published one).

MY shitty attempts at humor...MY shitty attempts at humor. That's rich.

Sportcamper
01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
I wrote a small report for work about the Dixon Ticonderoga’s and why that should be the only pencil ordered…Good to know that I am not the only loon-spin when it comes to pencils…:lolPaper mates are the worst…The Mirado Black Warrior is round and writes well but the erasing qualities are not as good as Ticonderoga’s…

http://www.pencilrevolution.com/2005/08/review-of-dixon-ticonderoga-classic/

JudynTX
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Pencil snobs

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 09:50 AM
You should check out Pen Island. Ive heard they have some good deals.

I just checked out Pen Island somewhat excited to see a large collection of lead holders. What a worthless site. From what I can tell, it's just a portal to take you to companies that sell promotional pens. And it doesn't even give you that many sites to go to. Again...worthless to my quest for a quality pencil or lead holder.

bus driver
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
i have NO. 2 pencils from Eastman and Paper Mate, but the easer sucks on one of them so i have a block easer that i use

CosmicCowboy
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Google is your friend

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-pencils--leadholders----lead-leadholders.html

Dex
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM

:lol :tu

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 10:50 AM

:lol :tu

Right. Because if someone has a computer, they'll never ever have to really use a pen or pencil again. No matter what. :rolleyes

marini martini
01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Oh shit, great thread!:tu

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff485/chstew52/L4S/Pencilbreaking.jpg

hehateme
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
martini with the best avatar ive seen in a while...and possibly only post i cared looking at so far in this thread

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
martini with the best avatar ive seen in a while...and possibly only post i cared looking at so far in this thread

What did you think the thread was going to be about?

manufan10
01-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Get one of these:

http://www.ifimages.com/photos/L5WVkpgH4JGp4jmGYERBqaqUO0/author-763/Young-boy-big-pencil.jpg

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Get one of these:

http://www.ifimages.com/photos/L5WVkpgH4JGp4jmGYERBqaqUO0/author-763/Young-boy-big-pencil.jpg

I'm sure the Child Labor Laws make that illegal.

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I went to Staples during lunch with the intent of buying a box of Black Warrior pencils and one of the lead holders that CC recommended. Unfortunately, Staples sucks and they only had one type of lead holder, Staedtler and no Black Warrior pencils (even though they carry other PaperMate products and can be ordered online). So I bought the lead holder and a box of Ticonderoga black #2s. On the way back, I got gas and bought a Monster and a bag of Sabritos. After I'm done eating, I will sharpen a pencil and load the lead holder and try them both out.

manufan10
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm sure the Child Labor Laws make that illegal.

I meant the pencil, not the child. :lol

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
So I've tried both products. Unfortunately, the lead holder only came with 2H lead. To be honest, I didn't even look or know the difference at the time. A standard #2 pencil has a hardness of HB. The 2H is three degrees harder than the HB and provides a noticeably different writing experience. I did not enjoy using the lead holder with the 2H lead. So, I'll try to find the HB lead refills the next time I'm at an office supply store or drafting shop. I doubt I'll go to the trouble of ordering them online so if I can't find them in person, I'll probably never use the leadholder again. One thing I don't like is not having an eraser built in to the lead holder.

The black Dixon Ticonderoga is a good pencil. The writing quality is very similar to the standard Mirado (orange). In fact, I'm not sure that it's as good. However, the superior (by far superior) eraser gives the black Ticonderoga the advantage over the Mirado. The wood quality of the black Ticonderoga seems a better grade than the standard yellow Ticonderoga. But similar to the standard Mirado.

I look forward to comparing it to the Mirado Black Warrior.

CosmicCowboy
01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
HB is very common...you shouldn't have a hard time finding it...

In order, the leads are (from hardest to softest)
9H | 8H | 7H | 6H | 5H | 4H | 3H | 2H | H | F | HB | B | 2B | 3B | 4B | 5B | 6B | 7B | 8B | 9B.

You might want to try a 2 or 3B while you are testing...the softer ones tend to write smoother.

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
HB is very common...you shouldn't have a hard time finding it...

In order, the leads are (from hardest to softest)
9H | 8H | 7H | 6H | 5H | 4H | 3H | 2H | H | F | HB | B | 2B | 3B | 4B | 5B | 6B | 7B | 8B | 9B.

You might want to try a 2 or 3B while you are testing...the softer ones tend to write smoother.

Yeah, I had no idea about the scale until today. Didn't realize there were so many degrees. I'll check out HB and something softer if I come across them.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
A lead holder? :lol

marini martini
01-10-2012, 07:52 PM

TY baby!
:toast

cantthinkofanything
03-08-2012, 04:27 PM
So the office was putting in an order at Staples. I looked through the catalog and found what I thought were lead replacements. As you know, when I first bought the lead holder, I didn't realize there was a hardness scale and the lead that came with it was too hard (hahaha). Anyway, in the Staples catalog, they had some replacement leads. But there wasn't a picture. But it was on the same page as a lead holder so I ordered them. But it turns out they were the replacements for a mechanical pencil! Long story short, I still cannot properly evaluate the lead holder.

2Blonde
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Have you gone to Hobby Lobby & looked in the drafting section & the drawing section?

cantthinkofanything
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Have you gone to Hobby Lobby & looked in the drafting section & the drawing section?

No. I was hoping to put forth minimal effort to get the lead. That being said, I didn't even think about Hobby Lobby. I was just in there about a week ago.
Thanks.

RandomGuy
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I used to always use the standard Berol Mirado #2 pencil and really liked them. But at some point, they got bought by Paper Mate. I don't know if the quality is the same as when I first used them. They seem OK. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a premium quality pencil. I see they have a Mirado Black Warrior which looks pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience with the BW pencil? Or have any other recommendations?

Also, no mechanical pencils. And it must have an eraser.

Mechanical pencils FTW.

Try finding a pencil sharpener in a modern office building.

gameFACE
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
F and HB are the best for writing. The H series are better for mechanical drawing. The B series good for shading or smudging. The higher B's will smear easily if you're not careful. For an eraser a pink pearl is okay or use an eraser pen like a Peel-Off Magic Rub #1960. Everyone knows the little eraser on a #2 isn't enough. Plus once the eraser is gone and your left with an eraserless pencil it looks damn stupid.

For general use I had always used either Ticonderoga or Faber Castell HB or F. Lead holders are too mechanical for me although I used them for drafting only back before computers. No mechanical pencils, either. The eraser on a mp looks like a wart.

But personally, I'm a felt tip guy these days. Eberhard Faber is no longer making the 38011. That's fucked up. I have to settle for a Papermate Flair. It's okay unless I find another one. I don't want to hijack the thread into felt tips, though.;)

cantthinkofanything
03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
F and HB are the best for writing. The H series are better for mechanical drawing. The B series good for shading or smudging. The higher B's will smear easily if you're not careful. For an eraser a pink pearl is okay or use an eraser pen like a Peel-Off Magic Rub #1960. Everyone knows the little eraser on a #2 isn't enough. Plus once the eraser is gone and your left with an eraserless pencil it looks damn stupid.

For general use I had always used either Ticonderoga or Faber Castell HB or F. Lead holders are too mechanical for me although I used them for drafting only back before computers. No mechanical pencils, either. The eraser on a mp looks like a wart.

But personally, I'm a felt tip guy these days. Eberhard Faber is no longer making the 38011. That's fucked up. I have to settle for a Papermate Flair. It's okay unless I find another one. I don't want to hijack the thread into felt tips, though.;)

I'd be open to talking about felt tips or any other type of device. My problem is that my handwriting is really sloppy. So any device that will leave marks with very little pressure or at the slightest drag really compounds the issue. A reasonably sharp pencil gives me the most readable results. A felt tip would be a pretty bad choice for me.

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Kneadable (putty) erasers are the shiznit.

William Hung
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I would go with these guys. http://www.dixonusa.com/
They've been around since 1795 so I would think they know a thing (or two)
about pencils. You're also supporting corporate America so please consider
this when you make your decision.

cantthinkofanything
03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I would go with these guys. http://www.dixonusa.com/
They've been around since 1795 so I would think they know a thing (or two)
about pencils. You're also supporting corporate America so please consider
this when you make your decision.

Did any of you motherfucks read the thread? I bought a box of Dixon Ticonderoga Blacks (no racist) at the same time as the leadholder. I also mentioned that they are pretty good. The more I use them, the more I like them.. But I want to compare the lead holder using the same hardness of lead.

Al Gore
03-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Did any of you motherfucks read the thread? I bought a box of Dixon Ticonderoga Blacks (no racist) at the same time as the leadholder. I also mentioned that they are pretty good. The more I use them, the more I like them.. But I want to compare the lead holder using the same hardness of lead.

Something tells me you have a pencil dick.

cantthinkofanything
03-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Something tells me you have a pencil dick.

your mom talks too much

cantthinkofanything
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Finally got around to checking Hobby Lobby. They did not have replacement 2mm leads in HB. They did have a cheap 2mm leadholder that came with 12 different color leads. However, there is no labeling of the hardness of the leads. But for $2, I bought it anyway. They are definitely much softer than the 2H that came with the one I originally purchased. But they seem way to soft to only be HB. When I pulled it out of the box, it easily marked on my finger.