PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Surgery

TheMACHINE
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Im going to have surgery this Friday for a 5mm bone fragment (from talus) that has been causing ankle pain for the past 3 years. Hard decision to do it cuz it doesnt hurt when i walk, but if i twist it a certain way, it fucken hurts like hell. lol. I also stopped playing ball for the past year cuz of the swelling etc. I just figured that at 30 years old, i shouldnt be having this kind of pain and dont like having to walk gingerly on grass, sand and uneven surfaces.

Anyone else have ankle surgery before?

clambake
01-09-2012, 06:03 PM
i have.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Fuck ankle surgery. Iv'e got a blown tendon in my left ankle and my foots trying to roll out/fall apart and I am currently wearing this pain in the ass orthotic that feels like walking in one ski boot but I will NOT get it operated on. WAY too much shit that can go wrong. I've seen too many cases where these fucking orthopods get started on guys ankles and it's always "one more surgery" to fix it. I've known guys that were in multiple surgeries/rehab for 5 years+ and finally just gave up.

If this shit doesn't work I will just drag that motherfucker and change my name to Festus before I will let them start in with ankle surgeries.

TheMACHINE
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
^eeek

TheMACHINE
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
i have.

All good?

clambake
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
yes

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
^eeek

Eh, don't get me wrong. You may have ZERO problems with yours, especially if they are going to scope it. I've got nothing against surgery as I've had 4 different knee scope jobs but the guys I've known with bad results all had structural problems like mine and it just seemed like they just kept fixing one problem which then caused another...and another...and another...heck, one guy I knew finally just said screw it and had them fuse the damn thing in a rigid position.

CubanMustGo
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I had some torn ankle ligaments, a wonderful orthopaedic surgeon went in, sewed 'em back up, and I never have had a problem with them since (oh, about 30 years now). If anything they're stronger than the other ankle's ligaments.

Had a knee scoped ten years later, the prick was more interested in getting his money than doing a good job, threw a pamphlet at me saying "do these exercises" after he was done, and it's never been the same since.

TheMACHINE
01-09-2012, 07:46 PM
good to hear Cuban...yah my Dr is saying this isnt major because he is just gonna go in and remove the chip and clean it a bit. (2 weeks non weight bearing and see where we go from there)... But anytime you go under General Anesthesia feels pretty major to me. LOL Its always scary to think if the procedure would make things worst.

tlongII
01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Get the surgery. 30 is way too young to have to stop playing ball.

Frenzy
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
i have.

Whoa whoa...slow down he didn't ask for your life story..

TheMACHINE
01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
My son threating to hit my foot. lol

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/381805_3135965121360_1331803678_33275258_719108544 _n.jpg

The Gemini Method
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I have had two ankle surgeries but they were when I was 15/16 years old. I shattered quite a few bones and partially ruptured the Achilles tendon and some other ligaments. Nearly took 6 months to rehab and I have the metal plate plus 6 pins and 2-inch bolt as a souvenir, too. Don't know how it'll be since you're a tad bit older, but I do know I sometimes get a little arthritic in the ankle on colder nights and it does get sore after prolonged exercise and bball. However, it rarely does and I'm glad that I'm okay by it.

TheMACHINE
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks gemimi...hearing that complicated surgeries that go well as yourself makes me feel better since mine was a simple "get in and remove a bone chip". So far, no pain.
..but thats untill the nerve block wears off i think....eeeek lol

clambake
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks gemimi...hearing that complicated surgeries that go well as yourself makes me feel better since mine was a simple "get in and remove a bone chip". So far, no pain.
..but thats untill the nerve block wears off i think....eeeek lol

Yeah man--follow what the docs tell you and you should be fine. I had to have the plates/bolt/screws removed because they would've created arthritic situations in my late 30's and I didn't want that. When I took them out, however, I got a staph infection in the incision and that was 10x worse than the breaking and consequent surgery of my ankle...shutters!