PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Bucks - Jan. 10

timvp
01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
The Bucks have made a habit of beating the Spurs over the years. Since leaving San Antonio, Stephen Jackson has been a Spurs killer. With the two forces combined, we should have known there was trouble.

Behind Jackson's 34 points and eight assists on 12-for-17 shooting, the Bucks pulled out a 106-103 victory. Richard Jefferson missed a three-pointer at the buzzer that would have sent the contest into an extra session. Jackson, meanwhile, had one of the best games of his career even though he entered the game shooting 32% from the field and 26.2% on three-pointers.

As the Spurs, there is one fact that supersedes everything else: San Antonio shot 60% from the field and lost. (Let that soak in for a few seconds … breathe ... and we're back.) Needless to say, the Spurs defense was poor, as the Bucks shot 51.8% from the floor, including 9-of-14 on three-pointers.

At 6-4, the Spurs are undefeated at home at winless on the road. Tomorrow night, the Spurs host the Rockets in what promises to be a difficult game simply based on the fatigue cause by chasing this one to the horn.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8591/boxjan10.jpg

Tim Duncan A
This was about as well as Tim Duncan is going to play at this stage of his career. Offensively, a hot shooting night fueled a vintage performance. When he wasn't nailing outside jumpers, he was orchestrating the motion offense from the high post. I also thought he was solid on defense against Andrew Bogut, and he did good work on the boards.

Tony Parker C
Tony Parker played the exact opposite than he has played all season. Tonight, scoring wasn't an issue. Finishing in the paint wasn't an issue. But after entering the game with 14 turnovers and ranking second in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio, Parker had seven turnovers against the Bucks -- including a couple costly ones at the end. He had also been playing well in fourth quarters ... and that wasn't the case tonight. Going forward, Parker needs to mix his scoring aggression from tonight with his previous heady play.

Richard Jefferson C-
Until the opening tip in Milwaukee, I thought Richard Jefferson was having a fantastic season on defense. He had shut down just about everyone he faced. Jackson, however, ended that -- with an exclamation point. Jackson torched Jefferson early and the Spurs could never cool him down. While Jefferson's offense was satisfactory, his defense was so sub par that it ruined his outing.

DeJuan Blair B
Overall, DeJuan Blair was a positive. He had a few mistakes and a couple missed rotations on defense, but he did well offensively. He's really getting good at using his body and getting open when Duncan is at the high post. His defensive rebounding, however, continues to left much to be desired.

Gary Neal B-
Offense is second nature to Gary Neal. It seems like you can just pencil in one point every two minutes he's on the court. Against the Bucks, it was more of the same. After TJ Ford's injury, Neal played minutes at point guard. While his playmaking left a lot to be desired, playing point guard does allow him to show off his ability to hit jumpers off the dribble. Defensively, it was another night to forget for Neal. He's definitely a liability on that end at this point.

Kawhi Leonard A
Kawhi Leonard just keeps getting better and better before our very eyes. Offensively, instead of hanging out beyond the three-point line like he was earlier this season, he's instead wreaking havoc in the mid-range area. Leonard nailed a few shots out to approximately 18-feet while mixing in an array of floaters, leaners and short jumpers. His touch on his shot was great tonight. Defensively, while the stats don't really show it, I thought he was really, really good. The best the Spurs looked on that end all night was when Leonard was busting up play after play to begin the second half. He did commendable work on Jackson; the 2003 NBA champion was just too much on fire before Leonard got the call. All in all, it was a very encouraging night from the rookie.

Matt Bonner D
This was a definite head-shaker. Matt Bonner, who at least usually plays sound positional defense, made a few costly mistakes on that end. While his rebounding was good, he gave that all back via mental errors. Offensively, he wasn't of much help. It's getting more and more difficult to rationalize his spot in the rotation.

Tiago Splitter B-
Tiago Splitter had a nice blocked shot and a good finish in transition. Other than that, he was mostly invisible. Offensively, he didn't get many touches and seemed happy to blend into the background. On defense, Splitter was usually slow with his help defense. Basically, the Spurs need him to be more demonstrative out there.

James Anderson C
Pop gave James Anderson nine minutes -- and I'm not exactly sure why. It looks like charity, to be honest. I liked his effort on the boards but his offense was too herky-jerky and his individual defense remains a weakness.

Danny Green C-
Anointed the second coming just a couple days ago, Danny Green's poor defensive play is threatening to drop him out of the rotation completely. He's trying to do too much on that end. Instead of aiding the team, his overzealous play defensively is making things a lot worse -- particularly against halfcourt sets.

TJ Ford Inc.
As he was making a short shot at the basket, TJ Ford injured his hamstring and was carried off the court. He looked to be in a lot of pain, so it's likely he'll be out a while. Two weeks would probably be the best case scenario.

Pop D
While I appreciate Pop giving Leonard minutes, playing the rookie basically the entire second half wasn't wise in retrospect. Getting him some rest would have allowed for a stronger finish. I thought Bonner's minutes were a mistake, as were Anderson's. Pop failing to call a timeout at the end of the game also didn't help matters. And again, a Pop coached team should never lose when shooting 60% from the floor. He needs to improve things defensively by any means necessary ... and improve things now.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
He had 34 fucking points???
holy fucking shit

you exaggerate when you say one of the best games of his career though

timvp
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
you exaggerate when you say one of the best games of his career though

34 points and eight assists on 17 shots? I'd like to see many better nights from Jack in his career. That's disgusting efficiency from someone who's usually a chucker.

jag
01-10-2012, 11:34 PM
You forgot to grade Manu.

Oh yeah... he's hurt again.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
It is flat out fucking disgusting that we lost this game, considering how hot Tim Duncan started out, actually parker too. It is a disgrace to our team that we lost this game.

Actually, the more I mull it over, not even Leonard's promising performance is a real silver lining.

This team is in trouble. The defense was absolutely absurd, from a coaching and execution standpoint.

Maybe one silver lining is that Pop chose this game as an all-out, so that he can use it to rip every player a new asshole and try to inspire some morale and emotion.......his chosing of Anderson over Green is a HUGE fucking mystery (and I am one of the original Anderson pumpers)...

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
34 points and eight assists on 17 shots? I'd like to see many better nights from Jack in his career. That's disgusting efficiency from someone who's usually a chucker.

Circumstantial evidence from a viewer's standpoint IMO (tbhhhh). From a boxscore standpoint, you're absolutely correct. But from a viewer's standpoint I just cannot agree.

Now ask me if he carved us up and spit us out despite Leonard giving him more attention than he's received in 2 or 3 years? I will agree.
He destroyed us tonight.

Especially poignant was that pre-3Q interview with Jax, where he was asked what the scouting report on himself is, in his own words and opinion.
Said it before, I will reiterate, I don't care how old he is, I want him back in SA.

DPG21920
01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I just don't get why, with a team that isn't very talented and with a team Pop calls "the worst defensive team we've had", Pop doesn't consistently give big minutes to the guys with the best defense. It makes no sense that a top 3 defender and young player on the Spurs (Tiago) isn't playing 25+ minutes a night.

RodNIc91
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the writeup timvp.

Would you rather have given all the minutes to Green? In all honesty I think both Green and Leonard are taking turns to suck. Plus our D is pityful. Do you think the improvement defensively comes first by improving interior defense, perimeter defense, or team defense and execution?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2012, 11:44 PM
I just don't get why, with a team that isn't very talented and with a team Pop calls "the worst defensive team we've had", Pop doesn't consistently give big minutes to the guys with the best defense. It makes no sense that a top 3 defender and young player on the Spurs (Tiago) isn't playing 25+ minutes a night.

Xxxxactly

I would log into Corso to say "dets what I woulda don" but my fingers are too sore from blogging about how horrible this fucking loss was

TD 21
01-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Matt Bonner D
This was a definite head-shaker. Matt Bonner, who at least usually plays sound positional defense, made a few costly mistakes on that end. While his rebounding was good, he gave that all back via mental errors. Offensively, he wasn't of much help. It's getting more and more difficult to rationalize his spot in the rotation. The problem is, they don't have another viable option. They can't exclusively play Leonard/Jefferson as their backup power forward. They need someone with legit size for a power forward and the ability to shoot.

Pop D
While I appreciate Pop giving Leonard minutes, playing the rookie basically the entire second half wasn't wise in retrospect. Getting him some rest would have allowed for a stronger finish. I thought Bonner's minutes were a mistake, as were Anderson's. Pop failing to call a timeout at the end of the game also didn't help matters. And again, a Pop coached team should never lose when shooting 60% from the floor. He needs to improve things defensively by any means necessary ... and improve things now.The only thing he can do is stop acting like they've got gold in Blair and Anderson, starting viewing them as the expendable pieces they are and parlay them and if it takes it, their 1st, into a starting power forward that is or is capable of being an impact defender and eating up close to 30 mpg.

The personnel on this team is too flawed for him to arrogantly think that him stressing it constantly is going to make them anything more than competent defensively (and they're not even within' sniffing distance of that right now). As if he thought he was a miracle worker. Instead of blaming the players, it's time he and Buford take responsibility for failing to address what's been an issue for going on half a decade. What they've done is the definition of insanity.

timvp
01-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Yeah, even though Splitter wasn't doing much tonight, the defense is so bad that Pop is going to have to at least try to see what happens if Splitter plays ~30 minutes a night.

timvp
01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Would you rather have given all the minutes to Green? In all honesty I think both Green and Leonard are taking turns to suck. Plus our D is pityful. Do you think the improvement defensively comes first by improving interior defense, perimeter defense, or team defense and execution?

Instead of Anderson, I would have liked to have seen Green get another shot. Or Neal for his offense.

On the road in a close game isn't the time for the reclamation project that has become James Anderson.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
We should play Splitter more minutes than Duncan every night. Use it as an operating limit. If we play Duncan a fuckton of minutes, we should play Splitter a correspondingly load of minutes too. Splitter should be averaging amongst the most minutes on this team.

Like I have been texting thispego and mookie and 4cc all fucking season:

FUCK OFFENSE, lets play some defense already

ElNono
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I disagree, IMO

DPG21920
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
It's not even about that, it's just about having a young talented player absorbing minutes. There is no reason a legit young big man should not be playing a lot of minutes every night except in RARE occasions. It should not be the norm.

silverblk mystix
01-10-2012, 11:54 PM

...because Pop is too old to fuckin' coach with balls anymore...

He just HAS TO play Matt Fuckin' Bonner at least 20-30 fuckin' minutes....

For what fuckin' reason?????

EVERYONE can see how much Bonner sucks and EVERYONE can see him getting absolutely manhandled play after play...

yet Pop...continues...

Killakobe81
01-10-2012, 11:57 PM

Agree with timvp ...SJAX makes love to the Spurs when he plays them but never like this. And i doubt even in Golden State he was ever been this efficient.

Good to see Duncan play well. think you will see a few more of these come playoff time.

callo1
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Not calling the timeout was bad, maybe Pop was thinking of Jason Garrett or something.

DPG21920
Hopefully the Spurs get there.

Rapper
very disappointed in XXXX, I don't wanna mention his name

a lot of thoughts in my mind, what if TP didn't have the turnover in the last minute? what if RJ could make the buzzer beater? what if Duncan didnt have that charging foul in the low post in the last minute?

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM

a lot of thoughts in my mind, what if TP didn't have the turnover in the last minute? what if RJ could make the buzzer beater? what if Duncan didnt have that charging foul in the low post in the last minute?

I agree...trade Parker.

jag
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM

:lmao

ElNono
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
XXXX = Ford, IMO

Killakobe81
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM

Charging foul was weak should of been no call ...from the angle I saw. But blaming refs is weak too ...

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2012, 12:06 AM
This is the first time I've agreed with DPG since he wished AIDS upon Manny back in the game blog

DPG21920
01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
This is the first time I've agreed with DPG since he wished AIDS upon Manny back in the game blog

No it's not scro. I remember dem other times you agreed with me as well.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
No it's not scro. I remember dem other times you agreed with me as well.

notice tha word "since"

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
A loss like this is exactly why we need tha Kori Ellis show again.

TRU Spurstalkers would like to blow some steam off and thats why trolling becomes so prevalent on this mainboard

jag
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
tbh, I forgot how hard CBF takes these early season losses.

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 12:17 AM
The grade on Anderson was deserving, but I give Pop credit for trying to pump him up, by more playing time. Anderson seems to have lost all confidence. Another reason to play Anderson more, is showcasing him for a possible trade down the road.

rmt
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
A game in which Pop plays TD 35 minutes is not a game that he should be trying to pump up JA's confidence - it's a game he's going for a win (with the intention of resting TD the next night). TD should not be playing that many minutes in a loss on the front end of a back-to-back.

Why is Bonner playing 21 mins and Splitter less than 15 - just disgusting! And vs Bogut & these big guys. I've been calling for Splitter to play 35 mins a game every night. He's young, has upside and defense. Can't stand to see Blair closing the game - he's a turnstile on defense. Neal (or even Green) should have gotten JA's minutes. Why didn't Pop call a time-out and set up a 3pt play - they had 2 time-outs? He deserves a F- What a waste of a winnable game.

Josepatches_
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
15 minutes on Splitter being the 4th "big" is really bad news.

When he starts to find his role he come back to the bench.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
The most disappointment was caused by Danny Green. Five minutes. And in those 300 seconds he showed TERRIBLE defense. I mean, God awful. I'm not sure at all what to feel about his future in San Antonio from this point on. I want to say that I think the Houston game will be a deciding factor, but if he doesn't work out, are the Spurs gonna fall back on Anderson? I doubt it. Especially with Ford out too now, the only solid players in the backcourt are Tony and Neal. They're really screwed if Anderson nor Green can snap out of it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Kawhi had just about a perfect game though. He seems like a Udonis Haslem with more potential. Or maybe I'm just saying that because of the hair and beard.

wildbill2u
01-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Folks, I don't know why all the moaning and groaning like we are expected to win games like this on the road. There is something called "home court advantage" and it is real.

About the best this team can do on the road, especially with our best player out, is hope to keep it close in the 4th quarter and steal one at the end. We were within one or two points for the last few minutes and only 3 at the end when we had a series of mistakes and missed shots. Shit like that happens on the road.

We have a lot of young green players and to his credit, Pop is giving them some minutes to see what they can do--or not do in some cases. I'm looking for some encouraging signs of growth in these young guys.

This wasn't our "worst loss ever" or the end of the chances for the rest of the season. We lost a fucking road game. Get over it.

venitian navigator
01-11-2012, 02:00 AM
In training camp Anderson was considered the possible "good surprise" for this coming season.
His poor games, at this point, are the real surprise.
I don't really know what's happened with him, but ther's something missing...maybe the guy just needs time and to develop his confidence (and in this case giving him minutes is the only way to go...also at the cost of losing some games).

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 03:21 AM
The Spurs need a new defensive strategy. I think the best they can do right now is to start TD and Splitter, play aggressive on the perimeter and force defenders into the paint. It'll help TD and Splitter's block stats and help the team defense.

TE
01-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Didn't watch the game, but wtf is up with an opposing player always going Goran Dragic on the Spurs?

It's a fucking sickening trend in the losses of this season.

cherylsteele
01-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Agree with timvp ...SJAX makes love to the Spurs when he plays them but never like this. And i doubt even in Golden State he was ever been this efficient.

Good to see Duncan play well. think you will see a few more of these come playoff time.
If they keep losing road games, playoffs may not be in the cards the season, they won't go undefeated at home, they need to win on the road too.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-11-2012, 03:43 AM
It's quite insane that the past couple games, players have just been taking extremely contested jumpers, they don't always fall, but sometimes they do. What baffles me, is that they must consider the Spurs such a horrible defensive team, that shooting right in their faces doesn't phase them or change their shots.

I mean, even that 3rd string rookie PG on the Thunder was not intimidated at all by the Spurs, he was popping shots without hesitation.

Our interior defense must improve by miles, and unless Splitter hits the weight room and watches a Tupac documentary, I don't see the lack of defense or toughess be resolved without an acquisition of a decent big man, not Ike Crapsack Diogu.

But it's starting to look like our PnR defense is the worst it's ever been. & that is a huge concern..

Fireball
01-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Didn't watch the game, but wtf is up with an opposing player always going Goran Dragic on the Spurs?

It's a fucking sickening trend in the losses of this season.

I hate that too ... you listen to the announcers of the opposing team and they stress on the fact how this or that player did not shoot well in the first x games ... then come the Spurs and exactly this player lights it up from three ... awful

Yorae
01-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Since I'm watching while working I'm not really sure but if we made made more of our free throws would it have made a diff?

will_spurs
01-11-2012, 06:26 AM

For the record, SJax:
- scored 34 points or more in only 17 games in his career
- only 3 games with 34+ points and 8+ assists
- 1 game (yesterday) with 34+ points and over 70% shooting
- 1 game (yesterday) with 34+ points and only 17 shots (he had 3 30-point games with 17 shots or fewer)

Next best shooting game was his career high of 43 points on 68.2% shooting.

Career FG% = 41.7%
Season FG% = 37.5% (including yesterday)

quentin_compson
01-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I blame Duncan for this loss. Had he gotten 11-12 instead of a measly 9-12, we would have won.

Seriously, though, why Splitter only plays 15 minutes in a game like that is beyond me. Skiles played this Leuer guy 30 minutes ...

Ice009
01-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I blame Duncan for this loss. Had he gotten 11-12 instead of a measly 9-12, we would have won.

Seriously, though, why Splitter only plays 15 minutes in a game like that is beyond me. Skiles played this Leuer guy 30 minutes ...

lol you are right. Skiles played Leuer quite a bit, yet Pop won't play Splitter. What a tool Pop has become. He needs to wake up.

Horse
01-11-2012, 08:17 AM
No excuse to lose this game no matter what happened but in the end of the 4th we were robbed and rapped. Jennings smacked the shit out of Parker cause he was beat and no call. Then the offensive foul on Duncan considering the time of the game and circumstances may be the worst call I've ever seen. That being said play some fucking D. I see a layup line opposing teams are running. Not only players not being where they're supposed to be but not knowing where they're supposed to be, now that really sucks. Gotta rebound and get revenge tonight!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
We need to sign another big and actually USE him.

Giving Bonner anything more than 10+ a game is way too much. He is a one trick pony that every team in the league knows how to plan for.

We need to get that 4th big (Bonner doesn't count) that can provide interior D.

The other issue is that Blair is NOT a starter. He is good, but more like a glorified Malik Rose without a jumpshot or post D. Blair should be coming off the bench, and either we start Splitter with TD, or sign someone else to provide shotblocking/rim protection off the bench.

We shot 60% from the floor and lost. We had not one, but two players shoot 9-12 from the floor and still came up short. I know SA always has bad luck in Milwaukee but until Pop starts playing the proper personnel we are going to get skull fucked every night.

On another note, I'm loving KL. He deserve 30+ minutes a night along with Splitter.

Agloco
01-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Besides all of the enivitable ups and downs, I believe that we have a true gem in Kawahi Leonard.

He's the truth.

Darkwaters
01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Joel Przybilla is still at large - but who knows how much he has to offer after multiple knee surgeries.

Other than that it's a trade or hold what you've got.

Agloco
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Pop D
While I appreciate Pop giving Leonard minutes, playing the rookie basically the entire second half wasn't wise in retrospect. Getting him some rest would have allowed for a stronger finish. I thought Bonner's minutes were a mistake, as were Anderson's. Pop failing to call a timeout at the end of the game also didn't help matters. And again, a Pop coached team should never lose when shooting 60% from the floor. He needs to improve things defensively by any means necessary ... and improve things now.

Ford went out as well. Not many choices on the buffet line tbh.

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Per Fred Silva(poundingthe rock), interesting recap of last nights game. Silva has a formula on ranking the players and Pop's performance last night.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/1/11/2698541/recap-san-antonio-spurs-103-milwuakee-bucks-106-return-FARS

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Joel Przybilla is still at large - but who knows how much he has to offer after multiple knee surgeries.

Other than that it's a trade or hold what you've got.

Przybilla is weighing retiring. Reportedly has multiple offers, but no decision yet.

acoelho1
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
We are not going to play any better defensive if Pop doesn't play Splitter or Green more minutes than they got last night. Sure, Green struggled in the beginning but pull him aside and put him back in game. He is still very young and mistakes are going to happen but he clearly can bring it on that side of the ball.

DMC
01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I wondered about the timeout, but Pop had been telling Tony to push the ball all night and Tony wasn't doing so. Were Ford not hurt, I have a feeling Tony would have been on the bench. Tony would walk the ball up, stand near the halfcourt for a while, then start his dribble penetration attempt (a few of which resulted in turnovers) before doing everything in his power to get himself a shot.

He ignored (didn't overlook) RJ wide open beyond the arc several times to pull up and take a contested jumper.

Kobe Parker, ladies and gentlemen.

GSH
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I have a couple of serious questions, Timvp.

The first is about Duncan. You said that this was an A performance, and that it was about as well as Tim is going to play at this stage of his career. It was sort of a reality check for me. Aren't you saying that the best we can expect from Tim now is about a B+ performance? I also would have graded his first and second half a lot differently. Do you think he's capable of playing at an A level (for him) for more than 30 minutes?

The other is about Danny Green, and the comment about him trying to do too much on the defensive end (which I agree with). I thought he looked okay when he first came into the game. But when he wound up on the floor with Bonner and Jefferson, I thought he got caught trying to cheat over to help them a couple of times. We've gotten used to expecting crap defense from those two guys. Do you think it's possible for someone like Green to get scapegoated by being on the floor with them?

For that matter, Green started the second quarter playing with Bonner, Jefferson, Blair, and Parker. That group was going to get torched no matter what. And, in fact, even after Green was replaced by Leonard, they kept getting torched. It was that second quarter that really lost the game, and I just don't think that Danny Green played defense any worse than the guys who stayed in the game. So I'll ask it again - do you think it's possible for someone like Danny Green to get scapegoated just by being on the floor with a group that is playing crappy defense?

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
tony parker suckin as usual only showing up when game on the line so he can pull a kobe to make it look like he won us the game, when we were playin like doghouse catchin up...

it is what it is

silverblk mystix
01-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Per Fred Silva(poundingthe rock), interesting recap of last nights game. Silva has a formula on ranking the players and Pop's performance last night.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/1/11/2698541/recap-san-antonio-spurs-103-milwuakee-bucks-106-return-FARS

..pretty interesting read...

now just watch tonight...

I fully expect senile Pop to bench Kawhi Leonard for absolutely no fucking reason....

Fun times in Pop's rapidly increasing dementia...

Morg1411
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Nice read. Funny as hell.

Dex
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM

:lol That's good stuff.

-10 for not rating Bonner into the bottom 3 though.

timvp
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
The first is about Duncan. You said that this was an A performance, and that it was about as well as Tim is going to play at this stage of his career. It was sort of a reality check for me. Aren't you saying that the best we can expect from Tim now is about a B+ performance?Yeah, it's fair to say that a performance that would have been a B+ last year would translate to an A this year.

Do you think he's capable of playing at an A level (for him) for more than 30 minutes?Probably won't happen very often. About once every 8-10 games I'd think.

But when he wound up on the floor with Bonner and Jefferson, I thought he got caught trying to cheat over to help them a couple of times. We've gotten used to expecting crap defense from those two guys. Do you think it's possible for someone like Green to get scapegoated by being on the floor with them?
Yeah, it's possible. Green probably was trying to do too much because there was so much that needed to be done -- if that makes sense.

I was actually just looking at the plus/minus numbers from last night and this kinda fits in with this subject you brought up:

Kawhi was on the floor with Bonner for 17.5 minutes. During that time, the Bucks scored at a rate of 123.4 points per 48 minutes.

Kawhi was on the floor without Bonner for 15.5 minutes. During that time, the Bucks scored at a rate of 80.5 points per 48 minutes.

So the stats say when Kawhi didn't have the human speed bump behind him, the Spurs were elite defensively. Otherwise, they were pretty damn bad. Watching the game, the stats pretty much backup what I would have guessed.

DMC
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Rating Bonner low based on his shitty defense and basically being lost and useless is like rating Rainman low for the same reasons.

You blame the person who put the retard in the game, you don't blame the retard.

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
So the stats say when Kawhi didn't have the human speed bump behind him, the Spurs were elite defensively. Otherwise, they were pretty damn bad. Watching the game, the stats pretty much backup what I would have guessed.

That's the problem with Pop trying to play his bad defenders with the good defenders. It's like trying to cover a leak with something that isn't big enough. Pop needs to begin games with a lineup that sets a defensive tone.