PDA

View Full Version : Start Robert Horry

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Nazr Mohammed or Rasho Nesterovic aren't going to cut it in the starting lineup.

Robert Horry is a proven winner.

He's a 3 point threat that will draw one of the Pistons' bigs out so they can' clog the lane and halt all penetration. It will give Tim more room to operate. He can block shots, drive in, hit from the perimeter and isn't afraid of big game situations.

Start Robert Horry next to Tim in Game Five.

Thank you.

samikeyp
06-17-2005, 03:12 PM
move Timmy to the 5?

I like it.

T Park
06-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Isnt that the lineup they had last night out there while the PIstons stretched out the lead???

The Spurs bigs, compared to the Pistons, stink period.

Robert, im afraid is out of bullets.

timvp
06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Spurs probably need something to wake them up. Not a bad idea.

They can't afford to keep getting off to slow starts. Horry in the game backed up by Rasho might even be preferable. Nazr has sucked in the two games in Detroit. He's gone Hedo a couple times by not being able to move a foot to catch the ball. In game three he even started to drive to the basket ... before he caught the ball :lol

Nazr isn't showing to be much of a big game player.

I'm already counting down the days to Scola. At least we know he can catch Manu's passes.

Kori Ellis
Isnt that the lineup they had last night out there while the PIstons stretched out the lead???

The Spurs bigs, compared to the Pistons, stink period.

Robert, im afraid is out of bullets.

Sorry but you already quit on this team. Your contributions in this thread are not needed.

Thank you.

texbumTHElife
Even Horry sunk into a shell last night. It doesnt matter who plays a long side Tim. It doesnt matter who guards Tim or how many of them. TIM is the one who has to get Tim out of a funk!

cheguevara
06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Good idea. And maybe start Manu off the bench again. Serious.

samikeyp
Starting Rob couldn't hurt. We know he can handle being in the finals.

timvp
If you start Horry, the Pistons won't be able to double team Tim with the Wallaces. It will also give Manu more room to operate.

I have a feeling Pop is going to do this.

Kori Ellis
Even Horry sunk into a shell last night. It doesnt matter who plays a long side Tim. It doesnt matter who guards Tim or how many of them. TIM is the one who has to get Tim out of a funk!

Yeah but someone has to draw their D away from the middle. Nazr and Rasho don't do that - so they can clog the lane and Tim, Manu, Tony can't penetrate. Someone needs to draw a big man out. That's Horry.

spur219
06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
You see now that is what I mentioned. I said that Horry should start to bring Rasheed or Ben out of the paint and let's get Duncan to work. Because all Mohammed does is clog the lane and when he gets the ball right under the basket he does about 15 pumpfakes and then when he decides to go up he travels.

SWC Bonfire
06-17-2005, 03:17 PM
You know, maybe Horry hasn't done much in Detroit because generally when he comes in the ship is already on fire and sinking. Maybe a start will give him the incentive to go do the things he does with loose balls. He hasn't been on the court or chased a ball out of bounds in the last two games (or it seems like it).

sa_butta
At this point Id try anything. I thought the Pistons would try the same tactic on us with Rashweed shooting 3's. But I think we only saw his first last night.

spur219
Kori me and you need to coach a team. Between me and you the sky is the limit.

spurschick
06-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm already counting down the days to Scola. At least we know he can catch Manu's passes.

word

TNT21
From your mouths to Pops ears!! Hopefully he'll think about doing this, change things up a bit!

tlongII
Horry sucks ass. He would be gassed after 15 minutes anyway.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:19 PM

Umm.. you are a fan of the TrailBlazers. Your opinion means nothing here.

Thank you.

Medvedenko
06-17-2005, 03:20 PM
You start Horry against the Pisterns and Rasheed will own him...period. Rasheed worked over Horry when he played on the Lakers and can get off anytime he wants.

sa_butta
06-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Horry sucks ass. He would be gassed after 15 minutes anyway.he played 20 last night. Besides who said he has to play 15 straight were just talkin starting him.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
You start Horry against the Pisterns and Rasheed will own him...period. Rasheed worked over Horry when he played on the Lakers and can get off anytime he wants.

It doesn't matter what he does to Horry. We don't need Horry to score. We need the Pistons to stop doubling Tim and clogging the lane. It's not about getting Horry points. He's a decoy. And if he knocks down a three or two in the process, it's gravy.

cheguevara
the Pisterns

:lol

kevm2
Personally I'd keep Nazr in there and make sure he focuses on what he needs to do: rebounding. We're getting KILLED on the boards.

sa_butta
06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
You start Horry against the Pisterns and Rasheed will own him...period. Rasheed worked over Horry when he played on the Lakers and can get off anytime he wants.If I remember correctly you were a Lakers fan before. Interesting how your favorite team has changed.
Opinion doesnt matter here either...

cheguevara
06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
It doesn't matter what he does to Horry. We don't need Horry to score. We need the Pistons to stop doubling Tim and clogging the lane. It's not about getting Horry points. He's a decoy. And if he knocks down a three or two in the process, it's gravy.

I think he meant defensively, Horry will get owned.

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Kori, did you talk on the phone with that Laker??!!!

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I think he meant defensively, Horry will get owned.

Nazr/Tim don't do a good job on Rasheed now. So, it doesn't matter. The Spurs need to open up the lane. The lane was completely closed off last night. Tim, Tony and Manu couldn't drive. The Wallaces could pitch a tent in the lane. The Spurs other big has to be some sort of threat and draw one of the Wallaces away from Tim.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Kori, did you talk on the phone with that Laker??!!!

What??!

samikeyp
06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Last night, Horry seemed reluctant to shoot. Like to see that change.

ALVAREZ6
Give Nazr another chance, he normally has good games.

But if it's clear that he won't be effective in the game early on, then give his minutes to Horry.

Kori Ellis
Last night, Horry seemed reluctant to shoot. Like to see that change.

Last night every single Spur was a pussy except Bowen and Devin.

tlongII
06-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Umm.. you are a fan of the TrailBlazers. Your opinion means nothing here.

Thank you.

I only offer insightful and accurate opinions. Disregard them at your own peril.

cherylsteele
Yeah but someone has to draw their D away from the middle. Nazr and Rasho don't do that - so they can clog the lane and Tim, Manu, Tony can't penetrate. Someone needs to draw a big man out. That's Horry.

If you start anyone new....then start GRob....he can help pull the "D" out of the paint and his "D" is underrated.......you can also play pick and roll with him because the Pistons would half to honor his shot.

We need Horry's energy off the bench.

Or even start TMass....at least he would body up Ben.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
I would also play Devin and Grob instead of Barry, and let Manu or Devin run backup point , and keep Beno on the bench.

samikeyp
06-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Last night every single Spur was a pussy except Bowen and Devin.

very true...although given his playoff experience....I figured Horry would be the last one to pussy-fy like that.

texbumTHElife
06-17-2005, 03:28 PM
IMO we need a much more assertive Tim who beat the double team himself with either the pass or the quick shot. THAT is what we need. I honestly do not think that playing Robert Horry is going to make much difference because Pop is not going to change his game plan offensively. He is going to continue to run the high PnR and 4 down. It is up to our PG and other players to make the right pass at the right time. Sure having Robert Horry bomb a couple threes might losen things up but if Tim Duncan doesnt get more assertive its not going to matter either way. Only Tim Duncan can stop Tim Duncan.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
If you start anyone new....then start GRob....he can help pull the "D" out of the paint and his "D" is underrated.......you can also play pick and roll with him because the Pistons would half to honor his shot.

We need Horry's energy off the bench.

Or even start TMass....at least he would body up Ben.

Start GRob instead of who? Bruce?

Hamilton would go off.

Medvedenko
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I changed my team to Detroit to piss you guys off....it's working...I still bleed Purple and Gold....oh and Horry is a great team Defensive player...but 1 on 1 he gets worked and that's what will happen. Why doesn't TD play him and have Nazr play Big Ben. The reason this isn't happening....fill in the blanks. Oh, my opinion doesn't matter....whatever, keep cracking wise....

spurschick
06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Give Nazr another chance, he normally has good games.

But if it's clear that he won't be effective in the game early on, then give his minutes to Horry.

Early on is when we're digging ourselves the hole and then hoping that someone off the bench can dig us out. Horry has the veteren experience they need right now. Let him give us the strong start and then let Nazr come off the bench. Or Rasho.

ducks
06-17-2005, 03:31 PM
big dog should guard dice
he does not need to start

start brown and bring manu off the bench?

cheguevara
06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Slava: Unlimited Range, Unlimited Game

:lmao

texbumTHElife
big dog should guard dice
he does not need to start

start brown and bring manu off the bench?

Big Dog guarding Dice? You were joking right? Dice would eat him a live in the low post. Talk about dominating the offensive glass...

Kori Ellis
Manu shouldn't come off the bench. He should play as many minutes as physically possible. GRob/Devin should take Barry's minutes though.

jcrod
06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't hurt, can only help. But I would also bring G-Rob off the bench to replace Manu instead of Barry. We need scoring and he can score and he has shown to want to play D.

ducks
06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
you do realize dice is killing the spurs

spurschick
06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Manu shouldn't come off the bench. He should play as many minutes as physically possible. GRob/Devin should take Barry's minutes though.

If we straightened Sean Marks' hair and put him in Barry's uniform, do you think anyone would notice? :)

Medvedenko
06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree with Kori...but why can't POP play Tpark, Manu, and Barry for offensive situations with Horry and TD.....maybe replace Horry with Nazr. I don't know, but I don't believe the Bowen is that much a threat. I understand D, but you need to be a threat at each position. Oh, and baseline 3's is not going to cut it anymore. You need activity, cutting and creativity.

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
What??!

Laker: "And Popovich, he be so stubborn, he will not make any adjustments. He will come with the same players. Last year he played that chump Turkalu. He had nothing. We laughed about it. Then too late in the series when it was over, he put Manu in his starting spot."
Piston: "I remember"
Laker: "Me and boys were talking and thinking Pop would make changes in the starters and put Horry in for Narz and Brown in for Manu. That ain't gonna happen.....Pop be too stubborn."

Medvedenko
06-17-2005, 03:38 PM
What!!!!? :pctoss

td4mvp21
06-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Having fun cheering for a new team each week? :blah

That sounds great, and bringing Gino off the bench would be even better. If they choose to double Tim anyway, Horry will drain the three or pass off to an open man who will drain it. I hope Pop does this. If he's a good a coach as we think, he will do this.

Que Gee
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Barry played 11 minutes last night..I don't see how many more minutes they could take up...He's 1 of 2 from the 3pt line...What did Devin at 2 for 8 from the field do?

Tim needs to get other people involved in the offense. His moves are predictable and methodical..no pump fakes nothing. There is no inside outside game either. He needs to play off of the guys standing around watching him turn and shoot. He's got 2 to 3 guys collapsing on him, which means there are 2 to 3 guys open. We aren't doing a good job of that...

The Mask
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
If you start Horry, the Pistons won't be able to double team Tim with the Wallaces. It will also give Manu more room to operate.

I have a feeling Pop is going to do this.

The Pistons aren't double teaming Duncan. Rather the change it up on him to throw him off rythem. Dice, Sheed and Ben take turns guarding him and occasional help comes to keep Tim guessing. No need to double. If he gets his fine.

cherylsteele
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Start GRob instead of who? Bruce?

Hamilton would go off.

He is now.......but instead of Nazr.....move Tim to Center and GRob at the 4 spot......you double Tim and GRob can hit the open shot and vice-versa......I say try it.....what do we have to lose? Can't get too mush worse offensively.....plus GRob is a good rebounder.

E20
06-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Horry needs that wideopen three to make it.

Que Gee
06-17-2005, 03:43 PM
The Pistons aren't double teaming Duncan. Rather the change it up on him to throw him off rythem. Dice, Sheed and Ben take turns guarding him and occasional help comes to keep Tim guessing. No need to double. If he gets his fine.

There are guys rotating over to help when he's in the post...Its not a total collapse but they are basically "cheating" over to get near him..Thats why he keeps getting the ball knocked out of his hands every other posession.

E20
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Then Duncan needs to work on his ball handling and quit being such a butterfingers. I've seen it happend to him ten thousand times. TP/Manu throw it into the post either the guards stand there or cut and each time Timmy pivots there is another person there to swipe at the ball. Now if the guards cut then they're maybe three people there but, if the guards do not cut and Timmy pivots there are obviously only two and usually it might be the other big cheating of his man that's when Duncan finds whoever and they have a easy layup. Also this might sound dumb but, instead of pivoting towards the middle into traffic why not try to go baseline and free up the middle so hopefully someone else can come in and cut through in the free spots in the middle.

jcrod
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Horry needs that wideopen three to make it.

And he'll get that at the begining, which is the time Detroit is really focus on TD, with both bigs. Maybe.

The Mask
06-17-2005, 03:47 PM
And he'll get that at the begining, which is the time Detroit is really focus on TD, with both bigs. Maybe.

Why would Det double when the 3 is what killed them in games 1 and 2? They will gladley give Duncan 20-30 and Ginobili 20-25 and keep the rest of the team in single digits.

E20
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Judging by his history I think the Pistons might be a little bit more quicker on there rotations towars Horry.

spurster
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Starting Horry is a good idea. Then bring in the other three backup bigs for short stints. Tell them they need to bust their ass and hand out some hard fouls, or they sit. They need to match the Pistons energy.

whottt
06-17-2005, 04:06 PM
What's wrong with putting Rasho back in the starting lineup?

He's a better defender than Nazr anyway...and he's got better hands too...

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
They should start Devin Brown for Parker. :drunk

Spurminator
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I have reservations about this...

Robert Horry has not shown that he can stop Rasheed Wallace from getting easy baskets, and if you put Duncan on Rasheed, Ben Wallace will clean up on the offensive boards.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 04:14 PM
What has Rasho proved to be a starter? Horry would be the best choice in my opinion.

boutons
06-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Do you mean: get Robert's minutes up to 40 from 20, to keep him on the court with Tim's 40 mins?

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I'd say 30 minutes because he is a veteran and give the rest to Mohammad.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2005, 06:29 PM
This isn't fair, I brought this up in chat last night :lol

Good take Kori, I'm with ya.

Supergirl
06-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I totally agree with your suggestion, Kori! How can we make Pop do this? I was thinking about this earlier today (i spend way too much time thinking about the Spurs) - with Horry at PF, that would put Duncan on Ben, and give us five players all capable of driving in, committing and receiving hard fouls, who can bang up the Pistons early in the game.

MannyIsGod
06-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Nazr has sucked, and I gave up on him earlier in the year but I'm not ready to do so. The fact is that if Nazr can just stop his damn butter fingers and fall back to what he's done the entire playoffs he'd be awesome in.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more Rasho if he does continue to suck.

I think your idea has merit, though. Horry's defense does worry me, because his defense rebounding sucks and thats an area we're getting killed in. Rasheed has also scored on him at will and if Rasheed goes off we're going to be hurting as well.

I really wish we could count on Nazr to step it up and fall back onto his regular game, but wishing is going to get us shit. I wouldn't be upset to see this gamble, but thats what it is - a gamble. At this point, maybe it is time to roll the dice.

E20
06-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Instead of counting on Nazr to have a good game, why don't we count on Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker to have good games. When they have good games it is MUCH EASIER to involve everyone else. I think those three set the tone on how the team is gonna play through the rest of the game.

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Instead of counting on Nazr to have a good game, why don't we count on Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker to have good games. When they have good games it is MUCH EASIER to involve everyone else. I think those three set the tone on how the team is gonna play through the rest of the game.
Exactly.

This is pretty much word for word what I said earlier, so I agree.

That's all there is too it.

tim_duncan_fan
06-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I think they might HAVE to start horry because his Ben cant just leave him open. And with Ben out on the perimeter duncan can go one on one with rasheed unless they double him with prince but that would leave manugino open.
Yep they have to start him.

ShoogarBear
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't think starting Horry would make much difference.

If I was the Pistons, I'd figure that Horry picks his spots and is never going to be a bulk scorer, so why change? He not going to go off on you for 20, so let him get his 10-15 points and keep locking down Tim. Plus, Horry might then be too tired to do much in the fourth.

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Start Horry. Might as well. Then, hopefully Nazr will come in when one of the wallace's aren't in, and he can go to work, grab his offensive rebounds, and give us some energy.

tim_duncan_fan
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
If they start horry and ben continuously leaves him wide open I think he could do enough damage to make one of the post players leave Duncan.His 3s would have to be consistent though. they could live with 1 out of 5 3s from Horry but if horry could get his shot going and hit his open shots they the pistons would have to pay some attention to him.

Das Texan
06-17-2005, 08:13 PM
i like this idea. makes perfect fucking sense. the ball movement has been non existent and its been difficult if not impossible to get into the lanes with constant doubles down there.

make it happen pop.

mrpach
06-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Putting Manu and GRob at the same time would cause a lot of matchup problems, mabe using manu as pg like last year, or using big dog instead of bowen when rip's out

Brodels
06-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm not buying it. Aside from the potential defensive and rebounding problems that have already discussed, the Spurs need to keep Horry with that second until as much as possible until the fourth quarter. I understand that there isn't a true 'second unit' in the playoffs because the starters play so many minutes, but with Manu and Parker being ineffective, I think it's important that Horry be in the game every single minute that Duncan isn't in there. It's still possible if you start Horry, but it makes it much more difficult. And we're not talking about a guy who is going to be playing 40 minutes a night.

I think the Spurs really need to set the tone early defensively. Horry isn't going to make that happen. And while the Pistons' interior defense has been solid, I'm not convinced that it is the primary reason why Tim is struggling. Tim is struggling because he hasn't been assertive and energetic. He's been out of synch. Having Horry in there could potentially open things up for Tim a little bit, but Tim's main problem doesn't have to do with Nazr's inability to pull the Pistons' bigs out of the paint.

Gotta have that toughness early. Gotta rebound and play defense. And the three primary scorers have to actually score.

Horry is essential. But he doesn't need to start. I just can't see him making that much of a difference in the starting lineup.

If you want to make a change, start Rasho. The Spurs pussified interior defense could actually improve. He'll help with rebounding and he's not afraid to get in the middle of plays on the defensive end. He stays out of the paint more than Nazr does, and if he can hit one or two of his fifteen footers, Ben will have to think about him a little bit.

If you really want to make a change, do that.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 09:16 PM
I think it is essential for San Antonio to get a quick start. We should start with our best players even if it is only for the first 6 minutes because San Antonio needs to get a good start in a hostile environment in Detroit. I'd say play him Horry 25-30 minutes and he will be effective in the 4th quarter.

Rick Von Braun
06-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Why would Det double when the 3 is what killed them in games 1 and 2? They will gladley give Duncan 20-30 and Ginobili 20-25 and keep the rest of the team in single digits. I disagree... if TD and Manu can get the Spurs 55 points, there is a good chance the Spurs win. TP, the rest of the starters and the bench can get at least 35 points. The Spurs with 90 points are in the ball game. They may not win it, but they will perform much better than in the past two games.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 09:25 PM
When did Rasheed all of a sudden become a dominating low post player? Horry would do fine on him and he has done pretty well in this series like bothering him with his long arms. If they go with Rasheed too much then the guards get impatient and get cold by not getting involved.

jochhejaam
06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Nazr Mohammed or Rasho Nesterovic aren't going to cut it in the starting lineup.

Robert Horry is a proven winner.

He's a 3 point threat that will draw one of the Pistons' bigs out so they can' clog the lane and halt all penetration. It will give Tim more room to operate. He can block shots, drive in, hit from the perimeter and isn't afraid of big game situations. It's more about focus, heart, execution, desire, etc...

Start Robert Horry next to Tim in Game Five.

Thank you.

In 27 mpg against the Pistons this series, Horry's averaging 7.5 points and 4.5 rebounds, shoots 1.5 free throws a game while shooting .345 from the field. Nothing in those numbers indicates to me that giving him another 10 minutes a game would be of much help.

The spurs have dominated the Pistons in 3 point field goals made in this series including 15 - 5 in the last 2 games which were not very close, I don't think another 1 or 2 3-pointers is going to make a difference.

The problems IMO are that in the last 2 games the Pistons are getting more rebounds 91- 81 including 35-22 on the offensive boards, more shot attempts 175-137, more steals 25-8 and fewer turnovers 35-14. Rather substantial differences.

I think Pops has him coming in off the bench for a reason.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Horry might not be a big time threat but he keeps the defense honest. They will not leave him. I would like to see the teams efficiency on offense with or without him.

violentkitten
06-20-2005, 12:36 AM
bump

Horry For 3!
06-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Horry was huge but didn't get the start.

timvp
06-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Kori just owned all the haters.

mavsfan1000
06-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Pop was smart to go to Horry more in this game.

slayermin
06-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Horry did what Rose would have done. Not in the same way as Big Shot ROB but Malik always had a knack to make contributions anyway he could.

I should probably add that we don't win tonight's game without Robert Horry. He basically closed the game out all by himself. That is un-freakin-believable. I am still sort of shocked by what I just saw.