PDA

View Full Version : Starting Lineup After TJ Ford Injury

timvp
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
After the game, Pop said that Gary Neal will no longer start because he'll now how to play backup point guard due to TJ Ford's hamstring injury. To begin the second half, Pop started Parker, Leonard, Jefferson, Blair and Duncan. Going forward, who do you think should start?

Personally, I like what Pop went with:

PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Blair
C Duncan

Leonard getting minutes obviously is a plus. Getting him minutes at shooting guard would be fantastic for his basketball skills development. The lineup should also be solid defensively on the perimeter. It lacks floor spacing and ballhandlers ... but offense hasn't been a problem this year so I don't really care.

I'm tempted to say start Splitter but Blair is actually playing pretty well and if he goes back to the bench, he could go back to his All Whataburger, All The Time diet. Although there's no doubt Splitter needs to play more minutes overall.

urunobili
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I think Anderson will get the nod TBH. Seniority is taken seriously in the Spurs culture...

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
After the game, Pop said that Gary Neal will no longer start because he'll now how to play backup point guard due to TJ Ford's hamstring injury. To begin the second half, Pop started Parker, Leonard, Jefferson, Blair and Duncan. Going forward, who do you think should start?

Personally, I like what Pop went with:

PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Blair
C Duncan

Leonard getting minutes obviously is a plus. Getting him minutes at shooting guard would be fantastic for his basketball skills development. The lineup should also be solid defensively on the perimeter. It lacks floor spacing and ballhandlers ... but offense hasn't been a problem this year so I don't really care.

I'm tempted to say start Splitter but Blair is actually playing pretty well and if he goes back to the bench, he could go back to his All Whataburger, All The Time diet. Although there's no doubt Splitter needs to play more minutes overall.

I would be alittle leary putting Leonard at the 2. Its tough enough for Leonard having to adjust to playing the 3, let alone the 2.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
What I like about starting Leonard is it at least puts one defensive stopper to begin the game. The thing that annoyed me about the original starting 5 in Manu's absence is that we had a hard time setting the tone defensively, with TD being our only defensive minded player.

At least starting Kawhi would hopefully prevent more Sjax type nights against the Spurs since he isn't coming onto an already on fire player.

timvp, what will it take to get Splitter to start? I know Blair has been playing well (though I'm nervous about his decline in rebounding) but would it take a competent 5th big that would prevent the defensive massacre that is Bonner/Blair?

TimmehC
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I like Tony, RJ, Kawhi, DeJuan and Tim. RJ is a lot closer to being a SG than Kawhi, though.

Redshadows
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
SG: RJ
SF: Leonard

I would like to start Anderson at 2, cause Pop should give him another chance.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I think Anderson should come off the bench. His offense lately hasn't been much better than Bogans was.

jgome21
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't have a problem with that line-up but I have a feeling Neal or JA will start at the 2. KL will def get alotta mins. It'll help his improvment. As for Ford, the guy is always hurt. Not reliable.

dbestpro
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Run Green with RJ and Leonard with Anderson. That way we have a defensive minded player on the floor at all times.

Oh, yes. And never, never, never,never, put Bonner and Blair on the floor at the same time. You might as well run Diogu and Thomas at the same time and you will get no worse defensive results.

xmas1997
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see Leonard and Thomas in that second unit along with either JA or Green.

timvp
01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
RJ is a lot closer to being a SG than Kawhi, though.

Disagree, IMO. Defensively, Kawhi will defend the shooting guards. For example, against the Rockets tonight he'd get the Kevin Martin assignment. On offense, Jefferson's role would remain the same while Leonard would get more ballhandling responsibilities.

While it's just semantics at the end of the day, I'd honestly call Kawhi the two.

Trill Clinton
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I think Anderson should come off the bench. His offense lately hasn't been much better than Bogans was.

this.

I'm still not sold on the guy. His jumper looks good but his shots seem to never go in.

8FOR!3
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Start Anderson or Green. They're the only two real shooting guards on the team not named Gary Neal. Richard Jefferson is a three and he's doing his job well, don't screw up his rhythm. Same goes for Kawhi, + he's more of a three than RJ even at this point.

But then again, Kevin Martin's going to light up everybody not named Kawhi =(

angelbelow
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
this.

I'm still not sold on the guy. His jumper looks good but his shots seem to never go in.

Thats why its a fine line between starting him (and hoping that gives him the confidence) or letting him rot in the dog house (hoping hes the type to work his way out of it). Only James Anderson knows which one he is but hopefully the coaching staff does too. I'll trust whatever decision they roll with but I always think opportunity and experience with a combination of negative and positive reinforcement is better. Therefore, I would throw him into the fire.

However, seeing as hes struggled so heavily, even as a starter, the leash is definitely a lot shorter. If he does get the nod, I hope to see him play hard and smart on both ends of the court.

blackfire12
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
No way will Anderson get the starting job after his terrible little stint, it's going to be Leonard. After the stats that he put up last night he's got the job. When he started the second half that was probably a precursor to tonight.

manufan10
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
PG Parker
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C Splitter

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 02:42 PM
So how long is TJ expected to be out? Haven't seen anything on it..

Morg1411
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I think the Parker-Leonard-Jefferson-Duncan-Blair lineup has potential. That leaves Neal, Green, Splitter, Anderson and (ugh) Bonner for rotation play. I'm a bit nervous about Neal playing PG too much, but seeing as how we don't have many other options with TJ out, we'll just have to hope for the best.

taps
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
kawhi defending the perimeter scorer, naming it SG or SF start him.

joseph and thomas off the bench if pop wants to go small and keep the defense respectable

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I think the Parker-Leonard-Jefferson-Duncan-Blair lineup has potential. That leaves Neal, Green, Splitter, Anderson and (ugh) Bonner for rotation play. I'm a bit nervous about Neal playing PG too much, but seeing as how we don't have many other options with TJ out, we'll just have to hope for the best.

That lineup doesn't get me very excited. It means almost every play is going to run through Parker. To become involved, all three of the others (Leonard, Jefferson, and Blair) need someone that can get them the ball. With that lineup, most of Leonard's and Blair's offense is going to have to come from hustle plays and putbacks. Jefferson will live or die at the corner three.

I'd rather have Neal in the starting lineup somehow. At least he does have some ability to drive the ball as well as shoot. He also isn't a bad passer.

That being said, I don't know what other options there really are. But if it's the starting 5 you proposed, get ready for a lot of TP and TD aborted pick and rolls and 15 foot jumpers. If either one of them is off, the offense is going to look pathetic.

TD 21
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd stick with Leonard as the starting SG. Obviously, he's not an SG, but it's all about balance. It makes sense to pair Neal with Anderson, because Anderson has superior guard skills than Leonard or Green and Neal is going to need as much assistance with the ball handling/play making duties as he can get. Plus, against the Rockets, Leonard's primary defensive assignment would be Martin anyway.

I'm surprised Joseph hasn't been called up. Given that and Diogu being waived, it's a good bet that they're scouring the D-League for a stop gap until Ford returns. Because Neal playing the point without Ginobili there to assist him, is a recipe for disaster.

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
PG Parker
SG Green
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C Splitter

It allows the team to set a defensive tone. Green provides enough offense and defense at SG to make it work.

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 04:43 PM

I think Blair is probably more professional this time around. The Spurs need to find a big he can play with of the bench instead of Bonner.

Dex
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I say fuck it, lets throw things all out of whack.

PG Neal / Parker
SG Green / Anderson
SF Jefferson / Leonard
PF Thomas / Blair
C Splitter / Duncan

Waterboy: Bonner

xmas1997
01-11-2012, 04:54 PM

PG Neal / Parker
SG Green / Anderson
SF Jefferson / Leonard
PF Thomas / Blair
C Splitter / Duncan

I think if you switch Jefferson with Leonard you have it.

PDXSpursFan
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Luther Head will be called up from the Toros to take on TJ's role :bang

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Hard to blame the Spurs for wanting to get Head.

slick'81
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Spurs coach Greg Popovich has "hinted" that rookie Kawhi Leonard could start at shooting guard on Wednesday.

Leonard started the second half of Tuesday's game following T.J. Ford's hamstring injury, which moved Gary Neal to backup PG and Leonard into the first five.

(http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1773/gary-neal)

Source: San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Ford-s-injury-throws-backcourt-in-turmoil-2461614.php)
Jan 11 - 4:47

Morg1411
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM

PG Neal / Parker
SG Green / Anderson
SF Jefferson / Leonard
PF Thomas / Blair
C Splitter / Duncan

Bonner doesn't deserve the minutes he'll see as waterboy.

Dex
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I think if you switch Jefferson with Leonard you have it.

I'd be inclined to agree, but by some some cruel, ironic twist of fate, Jefferson has actually been our most consistent player so far this season. :dizzy

mystargtr34
01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Leonard is the obvious pick.. ill be interested to see how he hangs with a guy like Martin running through multiple screens. At this point the Spurs need any defense they can get.

Instead of seeing Scola hit his usual 5 or 6 open mid range jumpers to start the game against the Spurs.. i would like to see Tiago start next to Tim.. but iv given up hope with that... at this point i think Pop would trot Bonner's ass in to the starting lineup before giving Splitter a chance.. the old man is just too in love with 3 point shooting and scoring points these days.

And secondly, like timvp said Blair will probably sulk and get fat again if he goes to the bench.. this guy is like Pop's son on the team.. no matter what he does he always gets fogiven. Gets fat last season to the point he cant even play.. straight back in to the starting lineup the next season.. doesnt play defense.. misses rotations hes been 'learning' for 3 years... no worries DeJuan.. go stand under the basket and get us some open layups. Tiago you sit on the bench while Bonner and Blair do work.

SenorSpur
01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Leonard would be the obvious choice, based upon how he's producing. Personally, I'd opt to keep Leonard in his current role as a first swing man off the bench, but I'd rather have Anderson starting. Besides needing the confidence boost, if he continues to struggle, it wouldn't be as noticeable in the starting lineup, as it would be off the bench.

jeebus
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Close.

Mike Monroe @Monroe_SA
As I predicted last nighjt, Spurs recall Cory Joseph from Austin

ace3g
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
Update on TJ Ford injury: Torn left hamstring, out 4-6 weeks

slick'81
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
yeah i thought the ford injury was bad torn damn

Spurs da champs
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
This is why I was worried when the spurs signed him, he's too frail & injury prone to be trusted to play even a full lockout season.

ElNono
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I know I'm gonna get some CoP members pissed, but after last night's closing of the game, Pop should really go with these starters:

PG Neal
SG Leonard
SF Jefferson
PF Blair
C Duncan

And then bring Corey, Danny, Anderson and Splitter from the bench.

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
Update on TJ Ford injury: Torn left hamstring, out 4-6 weeks

Ouch.

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Leonard is the obvious pick.. ill be interested to see how he hangs with a guy like Martin running through multiple screens. At this point the Spurs need any defense they can get.

Instead of seeing Scola hit his usual 5 or 6 open mid range jumpers to start the game against the Spurs.. i would like to see Tiago start next to Tim.. but iv given up hope with that... at this point i think Pop would trot Bonner's ass in to the starting lineup before giving Splitter a chance.. the old man is just too in love with 3 point shooting and scoring points these days.

And secondly, like timvp said Blair will probably sulk and get fat again if he goes to the bench.. this guy is like Pop's son on the team.. no matter what he does he always gets fogiven. Gets fat last season to the point he cant even play.. straight back in to the starting lineup the next season.. doesnt play defense.. misses rotations hes been 'learning' for 3 years... no worries DeJuan.. go stand under the basket and get us some open layups. Tiago you sit on the bench while Bonner and Blair do work.

:toast