PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Brothers say Manu injury "MUCH WORSE" than team admits

wsdp
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Listen to the Thompson Brothers on Fox Sports Radio tonight when they fill in for JT ... Rob Thompson joined Cedano this morning on Fox Sports Radio and spoke of entering the shower area w/ one of the non-playoff roster guys ... turning, seeing Ginobli's knee and seeing the thigh contusion cover a very large portion of his thigh and was completely black and blue ...

During all the intereviews they've done with the media, Manu and Pop have blown off the thought of him being injured... as Rob mentioned last night (and you'll hear again tonight when they fill in for Brick) - Ginobli's MUCH WORSE off then coaches and Manu are admitting.

Without Manu @ 90% or above, Spurs offense doesn't operate (now that Duncan's a non-factor)... Sorry San Antonio, but there's good news... go to the betting sites now and you can make money... Pistons are +190 to win the series... you can triple up if you lay your money down now!

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
The Spurs admit Manu has a thigh contusion (bruise) so what indicates that it is "worse" than they are saying. No one is saying that he doesn't have a bruise. He's always bruised up, he's not majorly injured.

cheguevara
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Rob Thompson joined Cedano this morning on Fox Sports Radio and spoke of entering the shower area w/ one of the non-playoff roster guys ...

what the hell is that pervert entering the shower area for???

wsdp
06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
The Spurs admit Manu has a thigh contusion (bruise) so what indicates that it is "worse" than they are saying. No one is saying that he doesn't have a bruise. He's always bruised up, he's not majorly injured.

Kori - if you truly believe that, then explain why he hasn't driven more than once a quarter since the offensive foul 23-seconds into game 3... Thompson's one of your own in San Antonio and saw it himself....

All I'm saying is to listen to him tonight... he made a very strong statement talking to Sedano (spelt his name wrong last time) this morning.

easjer
06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Meh. I fell down the stairs two weeks ago, and after a day of stiffness in my butt, leg and other ankle, I was perfectly fine, unless you applied direect pressure to the bruise. And let me tell you -- that is one of the biggest, ugliest bruises I've ever had.

Once the swelling is gone and the black and blue is there - most of the pain and stiffness is gone.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:47 PM
... Thompson's one of your own in San Antonio and saw it himself....

I know that he probably saw Manu's bruise. But I don't get why that makes it "MUCH WORSE" than the Spurs are letting on. The Spurs said he had a thigh contusion.

gus
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Guys,

Today in Ole newspaper here in Argentina, Manu said something like I am worried because it hurts like hell... So do not panic, but it seems worse than Pop and Manu said to the media.

Gus

wsdp
06-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I know that he probably saw Manu's bruise. But I don't get why that makes it "MUCH WORSE" than the Spurs are letting on. The Spurs said he had a thigh contusion.

Kori.... Read Question #5 from last night's postgame press conference DIRECTLY from nba.com/spurs....

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_quotes_050616.html

"Q. Manu struggled again in the game tonight, is that something they are doing or is he still struggling with the injury from Game 3?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Manu is not injured. He's fine."

easjer
06-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, one of the things to remember is that we have a long term investment in Manu. If he were injured, even if it is the finals and for the championship, we wouldn't play him. It's not worth a greater injury for a half-assed run.

We've sat our players before, even against their will, to protect the long term outlook.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Kori.... Read Question #5 from last night's postgame press conference DIRECTLY from nba.com/spurs.... http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_quotes_050616.html

"Q. Manu struggled again in the game tonight, is that something they are doing or is he still struggling with the injury from Game 3?
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Manu is not injured. He's fine."

I heard it live. I think to Pop there's a difference between being injured and being just banged up. I'm not saying that Manu is 100% - I don't think he was even 100% before the series started. I just don't get how seeing the bruise made anyone conclude it's MUCH WORSE.

wsdp
06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, one of the things to remember is that we have a long term investment in Manu. If he were injured, even if it is the finals and for the championship, we wouldn't play him. It's not worth a greater injury for a half-assed run.

We've sat our players before, even against their will, to protect the long term outlook.

Long term it's nothing... you're right... Ask Shaq! He's got 4-months to rest it and most doctor's say this injury is a 6-week healing... Plenty of articles in Miami Herald on that during Eastern Finals...

cheguevara
Guys,

Today in Ole newspaper here in Argentina, Manu said something like I am worried because it hurts like hell... So do not panic, but it seems worse than Pop and Manu said to the media.

Gus

Oh no :shootme

E20
Shit, if someone had a bruise that was black just poking it gently would hurt like hell.

geerussell
06-17-2005, 03:53 PM
That might be true, then again teams aren't always forthcoming about injury situations. We likely won't know the truth of it until after the series.

easjer
06-17-2005, 04:01 PM
My point about sitting him was that if he is seriously injured, more than just a bruised thigh, then there is potential for more serious injury because of that. They'd sit him.

mouse
06-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Listen to the Thompson Brothers

Sorry you lost me at Thompson Brothers ,
Thanks for telling me there will be no JT the Brick, now I can finish that puzzle I started in 1998.

wsdp
06-17-2005, 04:05 PM
My point about sitting him was that if he is seriously injured, more than just a bruised thigh, then there is potential for more serious injury because of that. They'd sit him.

I'm not meaning to insinuate that there's potential for more serious injury ... All I know is the education I got from Doctors quoted on TV interviews and newspaper articles regarding Shaq's thigh since their series with Washington...

What I meant was it can certainly hamper (AND HAS if you consider he hasn't driven more than 3 or 4 times a game since injuring it 23-seconds into game 3) his team because he's cognicent of the pain his thigh feels when pressure (knee, elbow, etc) causes and that's a byproduct of driving the lane against a Defense like Detroit's.

spurschick
06-17-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry, but did someone mention going into the shower area and seeing Manu's thigh? :devil

Clandestino
06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
i think manu should wear those shorts the pro football guys wear during summer camp.. all they have in is their thigh pads... that would give him the confidence that thigh would be fine even if he got hurt...

BigVee
06-17-2005, 04:10 PM
This macho "don't use the refs or injuries as an excuse" really pisses me off. Why not just tell the truth. If you think you got hosed, say it. If you have an injury that is affecting your play...that is not an excuse, nor will it necessarily explain a loss. But, it is obvious that Manu is not moving like he was. Geez, why not just tell it like it is. No excuses, just truthfulness.

FoxMulder
06-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Why Wade and Manu get injured against the Pistons in two consecutives series?
And those series turn into Detroit winnings?

Somebody just tell me... coincidence maybe?

samikeyp
06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
This macho "don't use the refs or injuries as an excuse" really pisses me off.

I agree that injuries can hamper your game but if you are on the floor, you are expected to play your best and if you are more of a hinderance than a help, you shouldn't be there. As far as the refs go, not using them as an excuse is legit. Refs don't make you miss shots, or free throws or turn the ball over.

cheguevara
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
If this is true. Pistons gotta be the luckiest SOBs ever.

BigVee
06-17-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree that injuries can hamper your game but if you are on the floor, you are expected to play your best and if you are more of a hinderance than a help, you shouldn't be there. As far as the refs go, not using them as an excuse is legit. Refs don't make you miss shots, or free throws or turn the ball over.

Agreed that they don't make you miss free throws, but no calls can cause turnovers, no calls can too make you miss a shot, and most importantly they can determine who is on and who is off the court. I have played and I have coached and the refs can be THE single biggest factor when two teams are evenly matched. No way are these games being officiated the same in SA and DET. No freaking way.

samikeyp
06-17-2005, 05:01 PM
bottom line is that the players are responsible for the actions on the court. calls are not going to always go their way. they need to adjust and move on.

JamStone
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Disagree whole heartedly to sit Manu for the long-term if his injury is more serious than what's been reported. As Spurs fans, you have been fortunate enough to see a lot of success in the last decade or so. But, you never take for granted an appearance to the NBA Finals. As many players have found out, you don't get to be there very often. Not every player is Magic, Michael, or Larry and can expect to win multiple rings, much less appear in the finals 5 or 6 times in a career.

Now, I'm not saying the Spurs won't be back in the NBA finals in the future. They are definitely poised to make multiple trips in the next 7 years. But, what if they didn't??? You just never know. With free agency, head coaching turnover, trades and teams getting better, a team that is successful one year is guaranteed nothing the following year. You just look at Minnesota and Indiana from last year to this year, and you should realize that you never take for granted the opportunity to win an NBA championship.

And, I'm sure Pop, Manu, and many Spurs fans would agree if they really think about it. That's why Terrell Owens played in the Superbowl. It's why Isiah and Willis Reed played in the NBA finals on basically one leg. If Manu can walk, he plays, no matter how injured he really is.

BigVee
06-17-2005, 05:10 PM
That sounds easy, but when you play a certain way for 100 games and now someone says go ahead and goon it up out there, it just doesn't work that way. Just like you saw Detroit could not adjust to the tight calls in game two. The game is not being called the same. The team that wins this series will be the team that gets the game called "their way" on the road. Watch.

SequSpur
06-17-2005, 05:16 PM
"Much Worse" is referring to Manu's performance in relation to any other Finals series.

Manu has hit a wall and is starting to suck.

Also, he is dethroning Parker from the Most Inconsistent Spur Poster Child.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Actually my personal opinion is that Manu f'ed up his knee on that play. Watching it a couple of times on Tivo, it appeared he started to flinch and react before there was even any contact.

And I'm not talking flop type flinch, I'm talking like he hyperextended his knee and it hurt like hell pain.

Just my two cents.

exstatic
06-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Then two days off is good, even if the fans hate it.

SequSpur
06-17-2005, 06:41 PM
If Manu or any player is hurt, they just need to damn declare it.

Manu is just getting outworked, outplayed and outsmarted.

He just plain sucks now.

bdubya
06-17-2005, 06:52 PM

No, man. It's Jedi Mind Tricks that we Pistons fans use. Using the power of the Force to suggest that Wade dribble himself into a human pretzel with no Pistons anywhere near him. Beaming the compulsion straight into Ginobili's head that he should commit a charge on Prince, leading with his left quadriceps. We've been honing this stuff all year. On the first test run, we didn't understand our own power, and put a little too much juice on the "Charge the stands and jump on a random fan" command....

(N.B. We had NOTHING to do with John Green's cup-toss; you can't use mind tricks on the mindless.)

bonesinaz
06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I think that Manu is fine. He is no doubt getting treatment from the many trainers, physical therapists and docs that the Spurs employ. Pop would not let him play if he thought it was serious. Plus he injured his quads. The only bone in the area is the femur and of course that is not broken. His knee may have been tweaked, but obviously he can run and still drive.

The 2 days of rest will only help the Spurs. They looked out of gas and well, just lost last night. This break will gives all the Spurs a little more time to heal.

Piston fans can only hope Manu is injured worse than he is. Both he and TD looked very pissed after games 3 and 4. They will be looking for retribution in games 5 and 6. :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2005, 07:04 PM
His knee may have been tweaked, but obviously he can run and still drive.

I could run and ride a bike after I blew out my ACL, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Supergirl
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
There's no indication Manu's knee is in trouble. He has a thigh contusion. He sat out in teh regular season with the same injury, but this is the Finals. Pop couldn't sit Manu if he tried. And he shouldn't.

Manu was played scared for two and a half quarters last night, he was settling for jump shots because he made his first three and because he got banged the nght before. By the middle of the third quarter he was driving in again, and making shots. It was just too late by then, the Pistons were hot and were off and rolling.

Manu will be fine.

Man In Black
06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Naww...he looks affected. He has about 80% of his game. It's that 20% THOUGH that the Spurs can thrive off of.

The Bruise won't stop him from playing but it limits what he can do to an extent. But even then, the Spurs could still win the series...I said in 6 and I'm sticking to it, if they execute well enough. Why Nazr is channeling Samaki Walker the last 2 games is a mystery but as it stands, I wouldn't mind Rasho in their to start to at least battle for position and rather than blow a dunk or get a turnover, get the rebound and then re-start the offense. 2-2 and game 5 on Sunday...I can't wait to see which team shows up. GO SPURS GO.

bonesinaz
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I could run and ride a bike after I blew out my ACL, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

And I've had a torn meniscus for years and still run stairs every day, but you missed the point.

If Manu had a knee injury, he would have already had an x-ray, MRI and Dx. And it would be reported. No way Pop would let him play with any serious injury.

bonesinaz
06-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Naww...he looks affected.

That is because he is exhausted.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
bones,

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Manu would keep it to himself and not tell anyone about it, because he wants to play?

Man In Black
06-17-2005, 07:39 PM
It's great you think that Bones. I can tell you that I spent time as an Atheltic Trainer and well, he is playing but do you notice how much shorter his stride has been in the last couple of games. 3 days off will do him some good. Will it heal a contusion? Probably not but it's pain threshold that determines if an athlete can give it his all. With a thigh contusion, it's a very large muscle that needs to be a full capacity to give that athlete the best chance at success. Think of Bigfoot the truck, is his axle has a bend in it, he could still go, but his turning radius would be affected. 3 days will help Manu, playing defense and committing less turnovers and attacking mentality will help the Spurs. They can still win, Manu affected just makes it harder. So in effect, the Spurs have got to punch back.

bonesinaz
06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Aggie-
Yes, I do agree that Manu would do anything to keep playing. But I also think Pop knows this and would have him checked out anyway. The trainer would at least put him through ROM and if he was worth one shit as a trainer, he could tell if there was swelling or abherent motion in the knee.

I also know that DRob tried to hide injury from Pop. It was easier for him to do so because with LBP, there is usually no obvious swelling and DRob just played through the pain. The knee is much smaller and you know yourself that you can't ingore the pain/instability for long.

I may be a total optimist, but I think that Manu is 'fine' (meaning good enough to play and make a difference) and the Spurs can still do this.

bonesinaz
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
It's great you think that Bones. I can tell you that I spent time as an Atheltic Trainer and well, he is playing but do you notice how much shorter his stride has been in the last couple of games. 3 days off will do him some good. Will it heal a contusion? Probably not but it's pain threshold that determines if an athlete can give it his all. With a thigh contusion, it's a very large muscle that needs to be a full capacity to give that athlete the best chance at success. Think of Bigfoot the truck, is his axle has a bend in it, he could still go, but his turning radius would be affected. 3 days will help Manu, playing defense and committing less turnovers and attacking mentality will help the Spurs. They can still win, Manu affected just makes it harder. So in effect, the Spurs have got to punch back.

Good post, MIB. But I really can't remember when Manu was considered at 100%. It seems he always has a nagging injury.

smeagol
06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
"Much Worse" is referring to Manu's performance in relation to any other Finals series.

Manu has hit a wall and is starting to suck.

Also, he is dethroning Parker from the Most Inconsistent Spur Poster Child.
Shut up Sequ, I beg you.

You were the one riding Manu's jock up until a week ago, running smack with Pistons fans about how the Spurs were going to sweep them and how it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to beat us even once.

Now Manu has "hit a wall, he is inconcistent, he is getting outworked, outscored and outsmart".

On Sunday, he drops 28 / 8 / 5, makes a couple of key steals, outhustles the Pistons, wins the game and you are back to claiming he is the best Spur in the roster.

Man you are a turd.

SouthernFried
06-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Manus thigh is bothering him...you can tell early in the game when he's moving awkwardly and stiff.

It loosens up considerably as the game wears on and the adrenaline gets pumping...but, it still bothers him.

Personally, I think they should have rested him game 4. I understand why they didn't, and prolly would have had to fight him to do it...still, it's what I woulda done.

jochhejaam
06-17-2005, 10:06 PM
This macho "don't use the refs or injuries as an excuse" really pisses me off. Why not just tell the truth. If you think you got hosed, say it. If you have an injury that is affecting your play...that is not an excuse, nor will it necessarily explain a loss. But, it is obvious that Manu is not moving like he was. Geez, why not just tell it like it is. No excuses, just truthfulness.

After playing 100 or so games, no one on either team is 100%.

jochhejaam
06-17-2005, 10:09 PM

I'll tell ya :cry :baby

SequSpur
06-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Shut up Sequ, I beg you.

You were the one riding Manu's jock up until a week ago, running smack with Pistons fans about how the Spurs were going to sweep them and how it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to beat us even once.

Now Manu has "hit a wall, he is inconcistent, he is getting outworked, outscored and outsmart".

On Sunday, he drops 28 / 8 / 5, makes a couple of key steals, outhustles the Pistons, wins the game and you are back to claiming he is the best Spur in the roster.

Man you are a turd.

Then he will have the MIP award locked up.

Shelly
06-17-2005, 10:15 PM
thread hijack...Sequ, check your PMs, please.

carry on..

Kori Ellis
06-17-2005, 10:30 PM
For what it's worth ...

The Thompson Brothers were just on NBATV with Fred Carter and Spiro Dedes (sp?) and when addressed the question about was Manu's injury effecting him, they said NO that Detroit defense is effecting him, that he is always banged up all season long, and the injury isn't anything hindering him more than normal.

TMTTRIO
06-17-2005, 10:49 PM
He has looked tentative since he did that but I think he'll be ok. Here's the google translation of what Manu had to say:

"I feel worried, I do not know how I will be in the party. It hurts the leg to me when I am cold. I do not believe that Popovich changes the rotation system ", said to him to Olé.

smeagol
06-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Then he will have the MIP award locked up.
No dude, that's your award . . .

Most
Inconsistent
Poster

of the year

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2005, 11:19 PM
tell manu go see a chinese practioner, he rub n u cum :D