PDA

View Full Version : Coors Light surpasses Budweiser as No. 2 U.S. beer

JudynTX
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Coors Light surpassed Budweiser in 2011 to become the country's No. 2-selling beer, according to the trade publication Beer Marketer's Insights.

The milestone, which has been widely anticipated for more than a year, is the result of years of declines by Budweiser, the only full-calorie beer in the top five U.S. beers, according to data from SymphonyIRI, a Chicago-based market research firm.

Coors Light is the top-selling beer by a sizable margin. Miller Lite is fourth, with Natural Light rounding out the top five, according to Symphony IRI data for the 52 weeks-ended October 21. :lol

Coors Light, handled by Chicago-based Miller Coors, has been posting slow but steady growth.

"Dethroning the King is a great accomplishment so early in the history of MillerCoors," a MillerCoors spokesman wrote in an email.

"We will be appropriately celebrating this achievement with our employees and distributors who have worked so hard to deliver an impressive 7 consecutive years of growth on Coors Light and then getting back to work to deliver an 8th consecutive year of growth."

An Anheuser-Busch spokesman said the company's 2011 sales numbers won't be available until its earnings report in early March.

"We're committed to -- and on track with -- our strategy to stabilize Budweiser," he said.

According to Beer Marketer's Insights, Coors Light sales grew 0.8 percent, to 18.3 million barrels in 2011, while Budweiser sales declined 4.6 percent to 17.7 million barrels. The data includes Puerto Rico and exports.

The trade publication added that this is the first time since 1993 that Anheuser-Busch has not had both of the top two selling beers.

It's still a pretty close race. Beer Marketer's Insights noted that SymphonyIRI data, which excludes Walmart, club stores and liquor stores, still shows Budweiser with a lead over Coors Light.

Beer (http://http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-coors-light-surpasses-budweiser-as-no-2-us-beer-20120110,0,4064773.story)

benefactor
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a Coors Light. Is it still just a shitty?

JudynTX
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I made the mistake of mixing alcohol and beer one night. I ended the night with Coors Light. Ugh....never again. That shit made me so sick. :vomit:

mrsmaalox
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
People love shitty beer!

edit - because I think it should really say:

Americans love shitty beer!

DeadlyDynasty
01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
They all taste the same to me, with the slight exception of Budweiser. In college our go-to's were Natty Light (and Ice:lol), Steel Reserve, and Beast and Beast light. Cheap beer is a beautiful thing when you're a broke-ass college student.

z0sa
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
steel reserve... sweet jesus that's some bad shit. but boy does it fuck you up. OE 40oz's are where it's at if you're going cheap, man.

Blake
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
steel reserve... sweet jesus that's some bad shit. but boy does it fuck you up. OE 40oz's are where it's at if you're going cheap, man.

OE is below cheap. That's desperation territory.

z0sa
01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
OE is below cheap. That's desperation territory.

definitely... and i'm pretty sure steel is even cheaper :lol

monosylab1k
01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
tbh High Life was my cheap beer of choice. High Life for a lowlife.

bus driver
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
wow, never bought the cheap beer in college, just didnt eat so i could buy the better beer. or find a girl to pay for it all

monosylab1k
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I made the mistake of mixing alcohol and beer one night.

Pretty sure that alcohol in beer doesn't happen by mistake.

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 02:25 PM

We were all about the Mickey's. Either the 40 or the big mouth bottles. This was back before they sold out. I think the 40s were like a couple of dollars.

leemajors
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Champagne of Beers tbh

lefty
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Budweiser and Coors Light are equally shitty

silverblk mystix
01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
So...piss tasting beer has surpassed piss tasting skunky beer...

what a shock!

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
They all taste the same to me, with the slight exception of Budweiser. In college our go-to's were Natty Light (and Ice:lol), Steel Reserve, and Beast and Beast light. Cheap beer is a beautiful thing when you're a broke-ass college student.

LOL, Natural Light was the go-to for a cheap keg in school and every party on my block had it. You knew you were at a shitty party when they busted out the cans of Pabst Genuine Draft though. :lol

4>0rings
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
When you can grab a case of beer for 13 bux, I'm not complaining.

4>0rings
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
LOL, Natural Light was the go-to for a cheap keg in school and every party on my block had it. You knew you were at a shitty party when they busted out the cans of Pabst Genuine Draft though. :lol

We used to buy the excess kegs of green beer(which was natty light dyed green lol) after St. Patricks day from the owner of a bar I knew.

St. Patricks was celebrated well after St. Pattys day :toast

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Tbh coors taste isn't as strong, very water tasting like keystone, another shit beer.

Dos Equis is where I been at lately tbh

Ditto. Dos Equis (green) is my go to if I'm at a restaurant with limited choices. Plus, I'm an interesting man.

JudynTX
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Pretty sure that alcohol in beer doesn't happen by mistake.

Started out with mixed drinks, then changed to beer.

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Started out with mixed drinks, then changed to beer.

Ugh. Don't do that. You'll get sick and feel like shit.

JudynTX
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I know. :lol

leemajors
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Dos is gross. I'll take Modelo in cans or Tecate any day over it.

bus driver
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM

the only time i drink tecate is during alamo heights night and thats once a year

Spurminator
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I was so underwhelmed by the amount of decent beer available to me early in college that I would often lean towards Zima, Smirnoff Ice, etc. Glad I was finally introduced to good beer in the later years.

cantthinkofanything
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I was so underwhelmed by the amount of decent beer available to me early in college that I would often lean towards Zima, Smirnoff Ice, etc. Glad I was finally introduced to good beer in the later years.

What did your boyfriend drink?

Spurminator
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
He was a Miller Lite man, the beer of choice for gay guys.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
He was a Miller Lite man, the beer of choice for gay guys.

http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dude-wait-what.jpg

benefactor
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
If you don't like darker beers and must have a lighter one then pay extra and get the good stuff...

http://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/slideshows/st-patricks-day-beer/st-patricks-beer-stella-artois-sl.jpg

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 08:03 PM
If you don't like darker beers and must have a lighter one then pay extra and get the good stuff...

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2495/duvel.jpg

fify

benefactor
01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I'll have to try that. I tried the Stella on a friends recommendation a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Similar flavor or a little stronger? Stella is pretty damn smooth.

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I'll have to try that. I tried the Stella on a friends recommendation a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Similar flavor or a little stronger? Stella is pretty damn smooth.

It's a really sweet ale, so nothing like Stella. It's incredible though, but also pretty expensive so maybe just try a single to see if you like it first.

IronMexican
01-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Tecate

What the fuck. Gross

Pacifico and Dos Equis are my go to beers.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2012, 02:50 AM
wtf u guys drink light beer? fkn diluted shit

Sense
01-12-2012, 03:45 AM
what the fuck are go to beers?

Personally, I don't drink anything but craft beer.. and an import every now and then.. the only decent beer on this thread so far is Duvel. It looks like most of you haven't tried many, and are settling for mediocre..

FkLA
01-12-2012, 03:46 AM

Thumbs up for Modelo cans, grew up drinking those tbh. Tecate sucks though Id never pay for that shit.

Also dont understand the hate for Buds, thats mostly what I drink now. Another really underrated beer is Landshark, they sell them at the AT&T Center and select stores. Great taste imho, if they werent so hard to find Id probs drink that almost exclusively.

The Reckoning
01-12-2012, 03:50 AM
i dont mind coors compared to the other american beers.

i usually drink mickeys though lol

fuck all you hopsters hijacking any beer-related thread.

leemajors
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
coors original banquet does kick the shit out of bud.

ElBorracho
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Coors is nasty but I won't turn one down.

JudynTX
01-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Has anyone tried Walgreen's beer? :lol

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/big-flats-1901-premium-american-lager/135439/

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I can't remember the last time I had a Coors Light. Is it still just a shitty?
Preferred beer on college campuses IMO

cantthinkofanything
01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
what the fuck are go to beers?

Personally, I don't drink anything but craft beer.. and an import every now and then.. the only decent beer on this thread so far is Duvel. It looks like most of you haven't tried many, and are settling for mediocre..

"Go to" beers are the ones that you can usually get in a restaurant where they don't have a full selection of beer. Or that you can find in a gas station late at night.

baseline bum
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
It's a really sweet ale, so nothing like Stella. It's incredible though, but also pretty expensive so maybe just try a single to see if you like it first.

I forgot to mention Duvel's head actually does look like the photo above if you have that type of glass.

benefactor
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I'll admit I don't venture out much as far as beers go. I'm too much of a creature of habit. I'll try something if someone recommends it but I usually stick with my staple which is Sam Adams. Octoberfest is easily my favorite but they only make it a couple of months out of the year. If someone could recommend something that is close to that flavor I'd be very appreciative. :)

Oh, Gee!!
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Beer before liquor, never been sicker. liquor before beer you're in the clear.