PDA

View Full Version : Lakers and playoff eliminations

stretch
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Is there any team that gets the shit kicked out of them worse in elimination games than the Lakers over the last decade?

2011 Semifinals: lost 122-86 to the Dallas Mavericks

2008 Finals: lost 131-92 to the Boston Celtics

2006 Quarterfinals: lost 121-90 to the Phoenix Suns

2004 Finals: lost 100-87 to the Detroit Pistons (scored a lot of junk points well after the game was clearly over, were down 23 heading into the 4th)

2003 Semifinals: lost 110-82 to the San Antonio Spurs

:wakeup

Banzai
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/31/Steve-Harvey-Shocked.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=5638)

Giuseppe
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
"Rocky" addressed this in "Rocky Balboa." Not verbatim, but, something like this:::[it's not how you get knocked down, but, how you get back up and keep fighting.] That's for all time. That's what the Lakers do. Hell, I was in the gd corner with West & Wilt after the Summer of '84, crying like a gd baby in Lakewood, Ohio, ready to do the dutch, content to stay in that gd corner and take root with those two and all the other fraidy cats. But, one man delivered us salvation. I won't bore ya's with the tale again. There is no need.

WeNeedLength
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
"Rocky" addressed this in "Rocky Balboa." Not verbatim, but, something like this:::[it's not how you get knocked down, but, how you get back up and keep fighting.] That's for all time. That's what the Lakers do. Hell, I was in the gd corner with West & Wilt after the Summer of '84, crying like a gd baby in Lakewood, Ohio, ready to do the dutch, content to stay in that gd corner and take root with those two and all the other fraidy cats. But, one man delivered us salvation. I won't bore ya's with the tale again. There is no need.

Go back and fuck your father some more.

pass1st
01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
LAL is prone to meltdowns if one piece doesn't function correctly (that piece usually being Kobe, although it was Pau for the last one).

DeadlyDynasty
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
It's awesome:lol...blowout playoff losses signal that sweeping changes need to be made, rather than petty moral victories that lull you into a false sense of a brighter future. "Hey, we gave it our best!" Fuck that shit, you either have it or you don't...and every year they lost it was to a better team--even last year (as Dallas proved on their way to beating Miami).

1999: Swept, Bring in Phil Jackson
2003: Lost to Spurs, upgrade roster with the 2 old vets.
2004: Pistons beatdown, experiment didn't work, start from scratch
2005: This year was like the South after the Civil War...re-hired Phil Jackson
2006: Strong effort, but the Tim Thomas 3 was the killer...Game 7 didn't even need to be played after that. After another disappointing finish the following year, they deal for Gasol.
2008: Nice run, but were not physical enough to handle the C's. Getting Bynum and Ariza back fully healthy and having Pau for a full year helped them get back on top.
2009: Great run, opted not to sign Ariza afterwards, but signed Artest
2010: Lakers don't win Finals w/o Ron
2011: Swept....Tried to deal for Paul in the offseason but were DENIED by the almighty Jew...still in play for Howard.

I honestly have never had a problem with this, it makes it easier on the fans too because it's not like it's a heartbreaking finish...and most importantly, it's yielded results:lol

BUMP
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
It's awesome:lol...blowout playoff losses signal that sweeping changes need to be made, rather than petty moral victories that lull you into a false sense of a brighter future. "Hey, we gave it our best!" Fuck that shit, you either have it or you don't...and every year they lost it was to a better team--even last year (as Dallas proved on their way to beating Miami).

2006: Strong effort, but the Tim Thomas 3 was the killer...Game 7 didn't even need to be played after that. After another disappointing finish the following year, they deal for Gasol.
2008: Nice run, but were not physical enough to handle the C's. Getting Bynum and Ariza back fully healthy and having Pau for a full year helped them get back on top.
2011: Swept....Tried to deal for Paul in the offseason but were DENIED by the almighty Jew...still in play for Howard.

I honestly have never had a problem with this, it makes it easier on the fans too because it's not like it's a heartbreaking finish...and most importantly, it's yielded results:lol

True

tbh i get the same feeling as a Cowboy fan. Everytime they're humiliated at the end of the season, I always feel better knowing that it will force them to make changes.

But then i remember who are owner is and feel depressed again :wow

Giuseppe
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
True

tbh i get the same feeling as a Cowboy fan. Everytime they're humiliated at the end of the season, I always feel better knowing that it will force them to make changes.

But then i remember who are owner is and feel depressed again :wow

That was nice though to see Wade Phillips vindicated. Media didn't like that. At all.

Killakobe81
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Agree. That moral victory stuff is overrted. in the end all that people remember is who won. Mavs fans will savor it because they lost their virginity AND they did it against both the old money Lakers and the new money Heat.

And deadly is right we attempted to remodel the Caddy but Daddy Stern capitulated to the lessor owners in the NBA ...so we have a great engine (kobe) a nice rims (bynum) a nice sound system (gasol) but no "wheels" (Paul) ...shit happens.

m>s
01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Kobe QUITperiod, kobe is just as much of a quitter as mono tbh. when their teams come back strong again and start to win something, they're back immediately to lead the celebrations

Giuseppe
01-12-2012, 07:09 PM
kobe is just as much of a quitter as mono tbh.

Can't deny it.

Greg Oden
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
What's with Culburn and this media schtick lately?

Deuce Bigalow
01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
what did they do the other years? I forgot

LkrFan
01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think the Lakers missed out on the playoffs more than 5 times. Two of those times were tank jobs (Eddie Jones & Bynum).

The Lakers are the only team in NBA history with over a .500 overall record. Not even the Celtic scum can say that.

Fail thread. :nope

stretch
01-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't think the Lakers missed out on the playoffs more than 5 times. Two of those times were tank jobs (Eddie Jones & Bynum).

The Lakers are the only team in NBA history with over a .500 overall record. Not even the Celtic scum can say that.

Fail thread. :nope

WTF are you talking about?

Celtics, Bulls, Mavs, Rockets, Pacers, Bucks, Sonics (Thunder), Magic, 76ers, Suns, Trailblazers, Spurs, and Jazz all have higher than a .500 record.

LkrFan
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Celtics, Bulls, Mavs, Rockets, Pacers, Bucks, Sonics (Thunder), Magic, 76ers, Suns, Trailblazers, Spurs, and Jazz all have higher than a .500 record.

I said all-time records. Laker history lesson:

Reg season: 3,027 Ws, 1,686 Ls (62%)
Offs: 426 Ws, 277 Ls (61%)

You were saying? Not even the Celtics can fuck with that.

stretch
01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I said all-time records. Laker history lesson:

Reg season: 3,027 Ws, 1,686 Ls (62%)
Offs: 426 Ws, 277 Ls (61%)

You were saying? Not even the Celtics can fuck with that.

Yes they all have over .500 all-time winning percentages.

I don't know about their playoff percentages, I never looked that up, but they all have over .500 regular season winning percentages.

Roddy Beaubois
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Every lakerfan came out to justify this one.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Them were some terrible moments in Laker history...I think the most unbearable was the one in the finals against the Celtics in 2008. Having to hear Dropkick Murphy songs for a whole night as a lost bet was more than I could bear.

Deuce Bigalow
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Every lakerfan came out to justify this one.
why would we need too?

The Lakers are the greatest franchise of alltime, and team of the last decade

Jodelo
01-13-2012, 10:24 PM
The Mavs are .504 all-time, so that means they are over 50% and they sucked for many years before Dirk came in. Many other teams should be over 50% too, LOL Laker"fans" "Lakers only franchise with 50%".