SenorSpur
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Any idea if he'll play tonight?

slick'81
01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
mights as well get the kid some reps

timvp
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Pretty good decision even though CJ has been bad in the D-League (which is saying something because the competition level of D-League right now is below that of summer league).

Cory Joseph's D-League stats: 31.8 minutes, 11.3 points, 3.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1.3 turnovers, 27.8% from the field, 28.6% on threes. To put that in perspective, Blake Ahearn is averaging 25.5 points and 6.5 assists.

But despite those poor numbers, the Spurs might as well call him up because CJ is playing too much shooting guard on the Toros (their best player, Justin Dentmon, is also a point guard). Playing SG on the D-League level will do nothing for CJ's development. And it's not like he's building confidence by putting up big numbers.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop goes with Neal or CJ as the backup point guard. I'm assuming Neal but Pop has been very young player friendly so far this season (something SpursTalk would never admit) and that could lead to Pop throwing CJ into the fire.

Russ
01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Pretty good decision even though CJ has been bad in the D-League (which is saying something because the competition level of D-League right now is below that of summer league).

Yeah, but look at what ya done for me lately (last night). (16 points on 8 shot attempts, 0 turnovers.)

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120110/ERIAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100390#nbaGIboxscore

Libri
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I think it's the logical choice to give him a try. He's already familiar with the Spurs playbook. I don't know how much the coaching staff is going to ask of him. I'm guessing to play defense and not turnover the ball.

jjktkk
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I thought Joesph played decent in his brief appearence with the Spurs.. He showed some P&R skills, and the willingness to defend. Raw, but he looks like a player imo.

WeNeedLength
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I knew this was bound to happen. Seemed like a no-brainer....

Bruno
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Good move.

It's possible and somewhat likely that Joseph isn't ready to play at the NBA level but Spurs should at least give him a try. Same thing with Neal at the PG spot. Instead of speculating on who could be the backup PG while TJ is out, the easiest option is to try players you have under contract and see who succeed and who failed.

If both Joseph and Neal sucks, Spurs still have the option to sign a vet FA. To me, the best PG available is Acie Law.

loveforthegame
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
It's not going to hurt to have him with the team. Maybe he doesn't play but at least he'll be available if they need to try something different.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
The Toros reacquired point guard Stefan Welsh, so it looks like they plan on keeping Joseph with the mother ship for awhile.

ChuckD
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
The Toros reacquired point guard Stefan Welsh, so it looks like they plan on keeping Joseph with the mother ship for awhile.

Yeah, with both Manu and TJ out, a guy like CoJo who can handle, shoot, and penetrate will probably be here until they are both back, which now looks like a similar timeline with TJ's 4-6 week prognosis.

wildbill2u
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Cory Joseph's D-League stats: 31.8 minutes, 11.3 points, 3.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1.3 turnovers, 27.8% from the field, 28.6% on threes. To put that in perspective, Blake Ahearn is averaging 25.5 points and 6.5 assists.

But despite those poor numbers, the Spurs might as well call him up because CJ is playing too much shooting guard on the Toros (their best player, Justin Dentmon, is also a point guard). Playing SG on the D-League level will do nothing for CJ's development. And it's not like he's building confidence by putting up big numbers.

It'll be interesting to see if Pop goes with Neal or CJ as the backup point guard. I'm assuming Neal but Pop has been very young player friendly so far this season (something SpursTalk would never admit) and that could lead to Pop throwing CJ into the fire.

The PG from the Toros that should have been called up is Dentmon. He's tearing up the place and is waaay more ready to play at this level.

And Joseph could have got more minutes in Austin. I'm afraid he's so raw and such a bad shooter that Pop won't be able to play him at all unless someone breaks a leg.

ceperez
01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
For a Spurs first round pick... he's looking more and more like a bust.

Sigh!

I haven't found any evidence that CJ can perform in the NBA level.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Eh, I don't think that three weeks is enough time to judge a 20 year old who wasn't in training camp.

ChuckD
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
The PG from the Toros that should have been called up is Dentmon. He's tearing up the place and is waaay more ready to play at this level.

And Joseph could have got more minutes in Austin. I'm afraid he's so raw and such a bad shooter that Pop won't be able to play him at all unless someone breaks a leg.

Chucker. He's not really a PG at all. Besides, he'd be an ADDITIONAL contract. They're already paying CoJo, so calling him up is free.