PDA

View Full Version : Rockets announcers spoke to Duncan who says he could play for 3 or 4 more years

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Up here we got the Rockets feed (brutal) but they did say that they interviewed Duncan before the game and he told them that he could play another 3 or 4 years with the way Pop uses him now.

Hopefully someone else got the Rockets feed as well and can confirm, but that's what was said during the broadcast.

Would've super bummed had this been TD's last year. Good to hear, imo :toast

Muser
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
So we get another 3-4 years of being painfully average with no reward at the end.

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
his only useful when he plays aggressive

ChumpDumper
01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Great news as long as he's paid accordingly.

angelbelow
01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd expect to sign for the MLE for the remainder of his career. Hes been know to take pay cuts before, hopefully hes feeling generous.

... Most likely he gets 10 million per season though.

FkLA
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Timmy is still a very serviceable big man, especially defensively. He can help this team atleast until Ginobilis contract is up...will likely be willing to play for a low price as well.

DMC
01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Unsurprising on a team where Bonner gets 25 minutes a game.

The_Worlds_finest
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Great news as long as he's paid accordingly.

Damn Straight ChumpDumper...I hope hes not just trying to get more money

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
So we get another 3-4 years of being painfully average with no reward at the end.

Do you even realize the garbage that you post? You understand it would be for substantially less than what he's making now. How would signing him up for 5 mil a year make us painfully average for 3 or 4 more years?

Muser
01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Do you even realize the garbage that you post? You understand it would be for substantially less than what he's making now. How would signing him up for 5 mil a year make us painfully average for 3 or 4 more years?

Because the Spurs are such juggernauts in free agency.

It's not a coincidence that the best players the Spurs have ever had have come through the draft.

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Because the Spurs are such juggernauts in free agency.

So keeping a 36 year old Duncan on a small contract would prohibited us from what? Getting the 1st overall pick? lmao

Muser
01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
No team with Duncan/Manu/Parker is going to miss the playoffs (unless one or more of them gets seriously injured). So yeah, if you like flaming out early in the playoffs then it's a great move.

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
No team with just ONE of the big 3 on it is going to land the #1 pick. If you want to blow it up it would require trading all 3 and even then I'm not sure we would be the worst team in the league. We have already started the rebuilding process while still trying to win.

therealtruth
01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Duncan should be signing for veteran minimum from here on out. That's if he cares about winning a fifth. He'll probably be worth 5-10mil.

Muser
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
The Spurs aren't rebuilding though, rebuilding would mean the Spurs blowing it up and trading for picks and cap space (something me and many other posters have wanted since the Memphis series). I'm not anti Tim Duncan or anti big 3, I would just rather start rebuilding now rather than postpone it a few years while getting dumped out of the playoffs in the first or second round.

Muser
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Now if Duncan were to sign for a really small amount (It's not like he needs the money) then i'm all for keeping it together.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Blowing up the team would be business suicide. Might as well move to Anaheim while you're at it.

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
The Spurs aren't rebuilding though, rebuilding would mean the Spurs blowing it up and trading for picks and cap space (something me and many other posters have wanted since the Memphis series). I'm not anti Tim Duncan or anti big 3, I would just rather start rebuilding now rather than postpone it a few years while getting dumped out of the playoffs in the first or second round.

I definitely would not. blowing it up is blowing it up. Rebuilding is rebuilding. They could have 2 different meanings. Trading for players like Leonard in the draft is still a move for the future.

Some people on here are so fucking retarded and act like if we blow it up we will land the first pick and then be back in business for rings in the next 3 years. It won't work that way. If you have a chance at being a top seed in the playoffs every year than you do that until you can't.

Teams like Minnesota, Sacramento, and a shit load others have been trying to "blow it up" or "rebuild" for decades now and have been irrelevant for about that time. That isn't a path I want the Spurs to take until it's absolutely necessary.

Russ
01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Duncan can name his ticket from here on out.

Any of you who queston that are worse than the Robinson haters (who've long since changed their stripes).

But you know who you are.

Muser
01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I never said the Spurs would get the first pick straight away, and being a top seed doesn't mean shit if you're going to play no defense and chuck up 3's all game.

And that's a path the Spurs are going to have to take, whether you like it or not.

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I never said the Spurs would get the first pick straight away, and being a top seed doesn't mean shit if you're going to play no defense and chuck up 3's all game.

And that's a path the Spurs are going to have to take, whether you like it or not.

So you want to go to winning 30 games a year and missing the playoffs with a chance at never making it back to where we are now for the next 10+ years? That's the risk you want to take because it is very likely it would play out like that.

I like winning 50+ games a year and at least being in the conversation with the big boys and there are about 20 other NBA teams that would die to be in the position we are in NOW.

Tell me how it would play out? When will we be back at to winning 50 games every year? or "contending for championships"?

Muser
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't know how it would play out, I just know that this current Spurs team isn't going to win as constructed.

Let me just say that i'm not saying it will kill me if the Spurs sign Duncan to a reasonable deal and carry on as they are, i'd just rather get a head start on the inevitable.

You have your opinion and I have mine and it's obvious we're not going to convince eachother, have a good night :toast

DesignatedT
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't know how it would play out, I just know that this current Spurs team isn't going to win as constructed.

Let me just say that i'm not saying it will kill me if the Spurs sign Duncan to a reasonable deal and carry on as they are, i'd just rather get a head start on the inevitable.

You have your opinion and I have mine and it's obvious we're not going to convince eachother, have a good night :toast

We are winning plenty as constructed...

It wouldn't really be a "head start". When starting over like that it could be different for every team. It could take 10 years to get that next star, it could take 20 years, it could take 2 years you never know.

Win as much as you can until you're forced to blow it up and then hope you get lucky with the raffle balls.

SenorSpur
01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Duncan is most certainly still a very serviceable big man. The problem is because the Spurs are so limited on the frontline, he's being overused. I'd like to see the Spurs begin to rely less and less on him, from game to game, starting next year. At this stage, TD shouldn't be the best big on this team. That said, I'd like to see the Spurs acquire at least 2 young bigs for next year - one via the draft, the other perhaps via trade. That way, Duncan can be the valuable mentor for them, that D-Rob was for him.

ChuckD
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
No team with just ONE of the big 3 on it is going to land the #1 pick. If you want to blow it up it would require trading all 3 and even then I'm not sure we would be the worst team in the league. We have already started the rebuilding process while still trying to win.

It's not like the NFL. You don't have to be the worst team. In fact the absolute worst team rarely wins the lottery.

lefty
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Duncan is stupid

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Need to sign him to a cheap contract and grab an athletic big man to take up some of the defensive slack

ElNono
01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
He should stay as the 3rd/4th big...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
He should stay as the 3rd/4th big...

:lol Getting minutes behind Bonner knowing Pop.

TD 21
01-11-2012, 11:13 PM
So you want to go to winning 30 games a year and missing the playoffs with a chance at never making it back to where we are now for the next 10+ years? That's the risk you want to take because it is very likely it would play out like that.

I like winning 50+ games a year and at least being in the conversation with the big boys and there are about 20 other NBA teams that would die to be in the position we are in NOW.

Tell me how it would play out? When will we be back at to winning 50 games every year? or "contending for championships"?

Excellent post.

Could play isn't the same as "my intention is to" or "I'm leaning towards" or "I'm considering", etc. He's just saying, physically he thinks he could hold up that long if he continues to play the minutes he's currently playing or close to it.

Unlike many, I never thought this would be his last season. I always thought he'd play one more, then see how he felt and where the team was at. I think him and Ginobili will retire at the same time. Probably either after next season or the one after that.

spectator
01-11-2012, 11:14 PM
has anyone confirmed this yet?

braeden0613
Man those Rocket announcers are obnoxious. I'm sure the other side would say that about our crew, but I almost murdered something during the game.

baseline bum
Duncan is stupid

You wouldn't want to play 3-4 years for $7-$10 million per season? I fully want to rebuild, but Tim is the one player I can't part with on this team no matter what. I'd be pissed if they traded him for LeBron+Wade.

DPG21920
01-11-2012, 11:16 PM
You wouldn't want to play 3-4 years for $7-$10 million per season? I fully want to rebuild, but Tim is the one player I can't part with on this team no matter what. I'd be pissed if they traded him for LeBron+Wade.

I love Tim but really?

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
yeah

DPG21920
01-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Not even for Lebron+Wade

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Not even for Lebron+Wade

Not even if Micky threw in a cruise ship too.

DPG21920
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM
We just gon havta disagree on det one den

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM

I agree with this, want Tim to retire as a Spur, but at this point I would trade him for LBJ and Wade. :lol

It'd be great if he stuck around on a cap-friendly contract. My fear is that the FO pays him too much to play on and it hamstrings the rebuild that is obviously so necessary. We've got some really nice pieces, and Kawhi is undoubtedly a keeper, but somehow wee need to find another good young big.

Borosai
01-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Pay cut + Starting PF = Championships + Exclamation mark

dunkman
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
He's still above average bigman, so its great news. His new contract will likely be around $5M per season, which will allow the Spurs to add an all-star bigman the following season.

The Spurs had bad luck in 10-11 with Manu's injury, and they had match-up problems with the Suns in the 09-10 seasons, but they still can make good runs.

The west looks wide open this season. The elite east teams are favourites, though.

baseline bum
01-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I agree with this, want Tim to retire as a Spur, but at this point I would trade him for LBJ and Wade. :lol

It'd be great if he stuck around on a cap-friendly contract. My fear is that the FO pays him too much to play on and it hamstrings the rebuild that is obviously so necessary. We've got some really nice pieces, and Kawhi is undoubtedly a keeper, but somehow wee need to find another good young big.

Depends what you mean by cap-friendly contract. He's obviously not going to get $20 million a year, but people who think he is going to re-sign for the MLE or the minimum (lol) are nuts. I'm not worried at all at what they pay Tim, as San Antonio is never going to do much with cap space and even in the best case that they draft a franchise bigman, they don't have to pay him for 4 years anyways.

callo1
01-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Much respect to Timmy, we all know he deserves it, but please...please Timmy, don't go the way of Hakeem, Parish, Shaq etc.

The wheels arn't off, but I see some lug nuts missing.

The best thing Tim could do to buy some more time is develop a really nice hook shot. Hard to do at this stage... same thing that would have made Dave unstoppable.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Depends what you mean by cap-friendly contract. He's obviously not going to get $20 million a year, but people who think he is going to re-sign for the MLE or the minimum (lol) are nuts. I'm not worried at all at what they pay Tim, as San Antonio is never going to do much with cap space and even in the best case that they draft a franchise bigman, they don't have to pay him for 4 years anyways.

They'll offer him a 2yr, $20mil deal I'd think, just like DRob.

I haven't taken a close look at the cap, I just meant something reasonable. It'd be great if he'd sign for $5mil a year, but I doubt he'd do that. How we're going to get ourselves a promising young bigman to play with him is the big question.

TD 21
01-11-2012, 11:56 PM
They'll offer him a 2yr, $20mil deal I'd think, just like DRob.

I haven't taken a close look at the cap, I just meant something reasonable. It'd be great if he'd sign for $5mil a year, but I doubt he'd do that. How we're going to get ourselves a promising young bigman to play with him is the big question.

I think he'll only sign one year contracts at this point.

Not only do I not think he'd sign for $5 million, I don't think they'd have the audacity to offer him that (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's relative). Production wise, if he can end up approximating last season's production, then he's worth at least double that. I'm thinking more along the lines of $12 or $14 million. $10 at minimum.

They need to package Blair, Anderson and their 1st for a quality big. That won't get them a star, but it could get them a potential impact defender, like Davis.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I think he'll only sign one year contracts at this point.

Not only do I not think he'd sign for $5 million, I don't think they'd have the audacity to offer him that (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's relative). Production wise, if he can end up approximating last season's production, then he's worth at least double that. I'm thinking more along the lines of $12 or $14 million. $10 at minimum.

They need to package Blair, Anderson and their 1st for a quality big.

Wishful thinking.

mingus
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
it will be interesting to see if he wants to play here 3-4 more years after Manu retires and TP leaves for a chance at another ring. i would think being as uncompetitive as we will be when that happens he will not want to play here. i can see Tim playing for another team (maybe OKC) to get another ring. i don't think he would rule it out.

angelbelow
01-12-2012, 12:06 AM

I'm personally hoping for the MLE but I know thats too generous of a thought. I'm expecting 2 year 20 million dollar deal but hoping for something along the lines of a 3 years full MLE.

Sean Cagney
01-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Ehhhhhh it is already painful watching him at times, thought this or next would be his last year! I would not want to see him past that for his OWN long term health! I hope he makes the right decision.

ducks
01-12-2012, 12:12 AM
good bye duncan hello dwight howard

FkLA
01-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Ehhhhhh it is already painful watching him at times, thought this or next would be his last year! I would not want to see him past that for his OWN long term health! I hope he makes the right decision.

Its only painful because of how great he once was. Compared to the rest of the bigmen in the NBA he is still an above average player.

Sean Cagney
01-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Its only painful because of how great he once was. Compared to the rest of the bigmen in the NBA he is still an above average player.

True on both accounts.

Cane
01-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Duncan's still one of the better bigs in the league and well worth another contract for the Spurs.

007nites
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM
I can see Timmy signing with the Heat for a minimum contract.

PG Chalmers
SG Wade
SF LeBron
PF Bosh
C Duncan

It would give them a post player and a tall defender at the 5.

timvp
01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
As long as Duncan wants to keep playing, I'm good with that. Spurs fans who want to nudge him out the door are delusional. First of all, rebuilding in a small market can take decades to do right so there's no rush to get there. If rebuilding were as easy as sucking for a year or two and then everything is magically better, I'd be for it ... but it's not. Spurs fans tend to not realize that since the Spurs haven't had to rebuild in the last 25 years or whatever it's been.

Yes, the Spurs don't have much of a hope of a championship this year. And that is unlikely to change for the reminder of the Duncan+Ginobili+Parker Era. But the rebuilding grass isn't greener.

Besides, the chances are probably better that Kawhi Leonard turns into Scottie Pippen and the FO can unearth another All-Star level player to make this team a legit contender again than it is to hope that the Spurs can rebuild and become a contender in the near future any other sort of way. (That's probably like 0.5% vs 0.1% ... but I'll take it.)

SenorSpur
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM

It is painful to watch his decline. Then suddenly, he reels off a performance like he did tonight versus Houston. It's clear he can turn back the clock from time to time, but not often enough.

Duncan's return, and for however long he wishes to play, only delays the inevitable. I just hope the Spurs FO can surround him with a young, athletic 5-man, so he doesn't have to continue to do the heavy lifting on the frontline.

Like everyone else, I love Duncan and wish that he could be effective for several more years. However, the Spurs will only be mediocre until they can someone draft and groom another superstar player, of his caliber. Those players just don't come around that often - and when they do they're hard to get.

Sean Cagney
01-12-2012, 02:23 AM
It is painful to watch his decline. Then suddenly, he reels off a performance like he did tonight versus Houston. It's clear he can turn back the clock from time to time, but not often enough.

Duncan's return, and for however long he wishes to play, only delays the inevitable. I just hope the Spurs FO can surround him with a young, athletic 5-man, so he doesn't have to continue to do the heavy lifting on the frontline.

Like everyone else, I love Duncan and wish that he could be effective for several more years. However, the Spurs will only be mediocre until they can someone draft and groom another superstar player, of his caliber. Those players just don't come around that often - and when they do they're hard to get.

I agree! I almost wish they would tank this year, get a good big man in the draft and sign Tim for lower next year! I mean a high pick and Tim being back and for less dough! Then maybe a FA backup! I know I am dreaming but good lord that would be nice for next year. My feeling they are a playoff team now and Gino will come back and they get a top 5 seed! They will make a run in the first round and probably out in two, but hey thats what we are dealing with now and thats reality.

z0sa
01-12-2012, 03:14 AM
til the wheels fall off

mystargtr34
01-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Im all for bringing Tim back next year.. if he signs for 1 or 2 years at $6-8M and the Spurs amnesty RJ.. they will be under the cap plenty. The FA class is pretty terrible after Dwight.. but a trade where the Spurs can take back more salary would be the way to go.

rascal
01-12-2012, 05:32 AM
So keeping a 36 year old Duncan on a small contract would prohibited us from what? Getting the 1st overall pick? lmao

What makes you think the contract will be so small?
He isn't going to be playing for chump change.

rascal
01-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Excellent post.

Could play isn't the same as "my intention is to" or "I'm leaning towards" or "I'm considering", etc. He's just saying, physically he thinks he could hold up that long if he continues to play the minutes he's currently playing or close to it.

Unlike many, I never thought this would be his last season. I always thought he'd play one more, then see how he felt and where the team was at. I think him and Ginobili will retire at the same time. Probably either after next season or the one after that.

With each year these guys get older and stay on the team the team will sink in the standings. Duncan has maybe 2 more productive years left but 3 or 4 is pushing it too far.

G-Dawgg
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
til the wheels fall off
...ummm there's only one wheel left on.......

xmas1997
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Precisely why I would like to see the Spurs high in the lottery this year, it is a loaded draft with bigs and a short season. I'm not saying tank, just keep developing the young guys and protecting the old ones. That should take care of itself.

DesignatedT
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
What makes you think the contract will be so small?
He isn't going to be playing for chump change.

If he signs for some sort of huge contract than I might change my stance on it. Although I see the contract being more around MLE money, which I think he is definitely worth at this stage in his career.

phxspurfan
01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Duncan retires a Spur. Period, point-blank, end-of-story. None of that Joe Montana on the Chiefs, Malone on the Lakers Jordan on the Wizards bullshit. The man is pure Spur from head to toe.

Johnny RIngo
01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
None of that Joe Montana on the Chiefs, Malone on the Lakers Jordan on the Wizards bullshit.

Or Hakeem on the Raptors, Ewing on the Magic.

silverblk mystix
01-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Nothing really matters until Pop leaves and/or steps back to a front office job...

I would love for Timmy to stay as long as he wanted in whatever capacity he could...as long as there was someone else coaching....

...but this won't happen....

Mel_13
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
As long as Duncan wants to keep playing, I'm good with that. Spurs fans who want to nudge him out the door are delusional. First of all, rebuilding in a small market can take decades to do right so there's no rush to get there. If rebuilding were as easy as sucking for a year or two and then everything is magically better, I'd be for it ... but it's not. Spurs fans tend to not realize that since the Spurs haven't had to rebuild in the last 25 years or whatever it's been.

Yes, the Spurs don't have much of a hope of a championship this year. And that is unlikely to change for the reminder of the Duncan+Ginobili+Parker Era. But the rebuilding grass isn't greener.

Besides, the chances are probably better that Kawhi Leonard turns into Scottie Pippen and the FO can unearth another All-Star level player to make this team a legit contender again than it is to hope that the Spurs can rebuild and become a contender in the near future any other sort of way. (That's probably like 0.5% vs 0.1% ... but I'll take it.)

Tim gets to choose when he leaves and he'll get much more than an MLE-level salary if he decides to stay.

Oh, and Pop will choose when he stops coaching as well.

smrattler
01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Duncan should be signing for veteran minimum from here on out. That's if he cares about winning a fifth. He'll probably be worth 5-10mil.

First someone said 10M/yr.

Then someone else said MLE.

Now vet min?

How about minimum wage? Would everyone be happy if Timmy played for minimum wage?

He'll probably look at how we handled the Robinson contract at the end. Remember everyone thought Robinson, being an angel and all, and practically giving away money to build a school would certainly play for a bunch of "A contribuition has been made in your name to the Human Fund" cards. Not so fast said the Admiral. Don't insult me, he said.

What did he end up getting? Not exactly chump change.

The question is how well was Robinson playing when he signed that last contract versus where Tim is at this stage?

baseline bum
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I think 2 years at $10 million a year will be Tim's market value. Maybe the Spurs will bump it up to the $12-$14 million range to pay him back for taking less on his last contract, since they won't be paying luxury tax next season.

therealtruth
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
First someone said 10M/yr.

Then someone else said MLE.

Now vet min?

How about minimum wage? Would everyone be happy if Timmy played for minimum wage?

He'll probably look at how we handled the Robinson contract at the end. Remember everyone thought Robinson, being an angel and all, and practically giving away money to build a school would certainly play for a bunch of "A contribuition has been made in your name to the Human Fund" cards. Not so fast said the Admiral. Don't insult me, he said.

What did he end up getting? Not exactly chump change.

The question is how well was Robinson playing when he signed that last contract versus where Tim is at this stage?

I wasn't saying that he's worth vet minimum but I was saying to give the Spurs the best chance at getting free agents and winning another championship it might help.

phxspurfan
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
On this same note hopefully David convinces Tim to stick around the organization in some manner after he retires as a player.

Proxy
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
The day that RC lets Timmy become anything but a Spur is the day I forsake the NBA all together.

Best case scenario is he and Manu provide the future generation Spurs teams some top-tier vet experience off the bench in their final years, and Mr Leonard makes the G Hill trade another mark in their collection of impressive FO moves... I'll keep my fingers crossed and my expectations low.

I'm not ready to see Timmy sitting next to the Admiral yet.

smrattler
01-13-2012, 09:42 PM
I wasn't saying that he's worth vet minimum but I was saying to give the Spurs the best chance at getting free agents and winning another championship it might help.

Sure it would help. But I don't know, I can't recall a player of Tim's significance ever playing for the vet min. This isn't Finley or Kurth Thomas. Tim just showing up makes the owners money.

ChuckD
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Sure it would help. But I don't know, I can't recall a player of Tim's significance ever playing for the vet min. This isn't Finley or Kurth Thomas. Tim just showing up makes the owners money.

Barkley took it for one year so that the Rox could sign Pippen. I think I remember him saying he regretted it, though, since Pip stiffed.

01-13-2012, 10:53 PM
duncan looks pretty finished but he can stay on the spurs as long as he doesn't eat up cap space.